Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

Hot -1 | Cold 2 | Volatile -1 | Dark 1
Harm: 0/4 | XP: 4/5 | Conditions: Traumatized | Location: The Conspiracy

The timing was about right. Not too long after the equinox, not too long after they 'sacrificed' me. That was bringing a new dimension to this whole mess. Maybe these sacrifices were what kept things in Ditchdale from getting... weird. Vampires. Ghosts. Hell, we probably had other sorts of monsters starting to pop up. I look between the girls for a moment, trying to put the pieces together, then sigh. I'm missing something. I need more information. Might as well get them up to speed with my current investigations and see what they think. Get some fresh eyes on things.

I popped open the door and gently helped Sam out after me, "Alright, ladies, welcome to my home away from home." My hand went through the locked door, fished around on the other side for a few moments before a loud clunk sounded out as the deadbolt disengaged. It was stiffer than I had thought it would be. I guess I had never really thought that I'd have guests over. A web of threads, pictures, and connecting pins took up the majority of the office space. It was a little crazy looking, but it was the culmination of all the research that had led me to Sam and then to the factory. Every disappearance on record was represented, tracked by last known sighting and the time they vanished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Hot: 2 | Cold: 1 | Volatile: -1 | Dark: -1 --- Experience: 0/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions: - Loser, Obsessed

Taking a string on Sera from Invited!

I hesitate at the door for a moment, if Sera considered it a home, I probably needed to be let in - but then again, that was definitely a welcome. Slowly, I try to step forward, and yes, it worked. More normally, I follow her inside, looking around at the place with my mouth slightly open. "...wow." Sera put in a lot of work here... And it looks like the kind of work an especially crazy chem-trail alien faked moon landing conspiracy theorist would do. But... she's definitely a ghost. And I'm a vampire. So a conspiracy theorist who is actually right. "This looks.... kind of daunting." Where could I even start?

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Hot: 2 Cold: -1 Volatile: -1 Dark: 1
Harm:0/4 Exp: 0/5 Conditions:

Wow. This is all- what do I even say about this? Sera has told me about her "secret detective" room, but this is my first time ever seeing it, and it is... overwhelming. I stare at the giant map of the town Sera created. I've never been to some of these places, but they still all seem so... familiar to me. Where have I seen them before? Was it in my dreams? Yes, I think that was it. Ever since the... accident, I've been plagued with nightmares. Incredibly terrifying, and vivid nightmares, and they always involved the same thing; a part of town would be shrouded in darkness, shadowy figures in cloaks, and inaudible whispers. I would even dream of places that weren't on any of the town maps, places hidden from public view. Eventually, I began to draw what I saw in my dreams in great detail in my notebook, maybe as a way to cope with all the nightmares. Wait, my notebook? Maybe... no, that's too crazy. But isn't this whole situation crazy enough already?

"S-Sera, Carmilla. I think- I think I might h-h-have s-s-something. It's a shot in the dark," no pun intended, "but... I have these d-dreams, n-n-nightmares, about the t-t-town covered in shadows. I'd see these... things, places that s-s-shouldn't be, that s-s-shouldn't exist, and I'd d-draw what I see into my n-n-notebook. I k-k-know this m-m-might sound crazy, and it might end up being n-n-nothing, but maybe... we'll find the a-answers in my dreams?" I bite my thumb, "O-o-only problem is, Tabitha... she has my n-n-notebook, and s-she's back at s-s-school, I think. If we want to g-g-get my n-n-notebook, we'd have to go back, and g-g-get it from her, and I... I don't know if she would w-w-willingly give it to us."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Harm: 0/4 | XP: 4/5 | Conditions: Traumatized | Location: The Conspiracy

My fingers brush along the string, tracing a blue line that winds through the room, "Alright, so here's the situation as I understand it. This string is kind of the timeline. It starts over here with the first equinox disappearance. Now, if you look here you can see that she..." I explain the general gist of the conspiracy as I go along -- disappearances on the equinox of each year, secret society, and now the addition of some occult sacrifice angle. Commonalities of the victims -- almost entirely young and female. Locations of interest -- the lodge that Mackenzie's dad runs and the factory that I died in. There were more details to cover, of course, but I didn't want to get too far ahead of myself. My fingers finally touch a picture of Sam and the stream of words faded. All of the strings lead to her in the end.

I look over at Sam, "It's as good a place to start as any. And if Tabitha has been bullying you, taking your stuff..." My mouth tightens. "We'll have words." Maybe it was the lingering memory of my death and the frustration of the unsolved mysteries surrounding it, but I was feeling a little feisty.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Scene 3 Continued

Sera Of course it might not be that easy getting the notebook back from Tabitha. Still you're a ghost, Carmila's a vampire and Sam is... Sam. You can probably manage it right. After all what's the worst she can do to you you're already dead. Still do you have a plan for how you're going to get the notebook back or are you just going to wing it?

Sam Wow, look at her. Sera I mean. Does she look different. She's at the centre of her web here. Poised, confident taking charge, All the things she's capable of but never had the nerve to show till now. Do you like what you see? Do you ever wish you could be more like that I mean look at Carmilla and Sera. Assertive, bold and then look at you... Still maybe some of it will rub off on you right?

Carmilla This is crazy right? I mean some sort of curse covering the whole town, turning you into... this. Do you feel diminished somehow knowing that it's not something you've done probably not even something your family have done? Or do you feel relieved? It suddenly occurs to you that there's a problem. If the three of you go back to school like this well everyone will suspect what you've been up to. I mean there's a good chance Tabitha already knows or at least suspects. So what re you going to do about it?

Sharona You run, without thought without emotion. You run until your calves ache and your lungs burn, you run through the pain. Why not it can't kill you. Nothing can because you're already dead. You could run forever and never look back couldn't you. You break off the trail you've been following into a clearing, a gigantic slab of stone occupies the middle of it and on it lie rusty red marks. As you run you hear the sound of howling, a wolf here? Oh poo poo what do you do?

Mackenzie She can really run when she wants too right. Still you extend your senses, all of them. She's left quite a trail and the wolf part of you the predator knows exactly what to do when prey runs doesn't it? Is that what she is to you prey? Still you lope after her
at an easy pace that you could keep for hours. The trail of her is easy to follow she's clearly no woodsman, or should that be woodswoman? anyway...After a long chase you know you're getting close to her you can practically smell her, taste her scent in the air. As you approach through the bushes a mournful howl echoes, one you'd recognise anywhere, What do you do?

Tabitha "A lesson?" Caitlyn frowns "And it's not his fault, he's been bewitched, taken from me by her" she spits bitterly "I'd thought he was mine and he was then he started getting evasive, started lying to me and she helped him. Why would she help him if she was getting nothing in return." Bewitched huh? Well if anyone's an expert on bewitching it's you right? "I'd give anything to see her knocked down a peg, to see what it's like. I worked hard to get where I was and then she ruins it all in months. Months!" She grimaces. "Sorry I shouldn't take it out on you but if you can help in any way I'd be grateful" So that's your price if you want her you're going to have to knock Carmilla down a few pegs. Shouldn't be hard given what you already know about her right?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Hot -1 Cold 1 Volatile -1 Dark 2
Harm 0/4 XP 5/5 Conditions:

Oh ho ho. This might be even better. Well I'm not super interested in Carmilla as collateral damage but poo poo it was going to be someone. "Oh really..." I look a little skeptic at first but then lean in with a conspiratorial smile. "You have a keen eye. I was looking to have words with her for edging on my turf as well, in different matters. But we can do each other a solid. I think she knows what I'm capable of so she'll be wary of me, but she probably doesn't take you seriously. You get me something of hers and I know exactly what to do with it to give her a weekend from hell. I'll even let you in on the deed if you're adventerous~"

4 Turn on for all those winks and nudges and invaded personal space.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

Hot +1 | Cold -1 | Volatile +2 | Dark -1
Harm: 0/4 | XP: 3/5 | Conditions: | Location: The Altar

's funny, I feel like she should be out of breath by now. I'm in great shape if I'm being honest, probably the fittest I've ever been, and I'm keeping up with her...but she doesn't slow down. My kinda limited experience of predation is that animals slow down, get sloppy, look for places to hide or turn on their pursuer, but she just keeps moving like a machine. And what, no, she isn't prey! She's a person, and I'm still pretty much a person! She's a...a friend, and she's in trouble and I need to find her before she gets in even more tr-

Aww, hell. That's not great. We've left the safe-ish sections of the woods behind. Technically still Lodge land, but because there's only Dad to patrol it there's all kinds of weird shitheads using it. Here be dragons, y'know? Or wolves, I guess. She's stopped up ahead and I push through the bushes behind her. She's not hurt, thank God. I clear my throat to get her attention:

"Ah, hey. Look, I don't know what I did wrong, but I can just take you home if you wanna leave. It's not safe to run around out here alone, the wolves won't attack you but the poachers and methheads might, and-"

My voice trails off as I see what she's looking at. What the hell is that? That stone...is that an altar?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Hot -1, Cold 1, Volatile 1, Dark 0
Harm 0/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions: Babe In The Woods

"Think I can handle myself if either of those came around." Not that it would matter if I couldn't. But...this alter. What could it be doing here? I'd think it was nothing if not for. You know. Me coming back from the dead and all. I start examining it, getting close and putting my hand on the marks, feeling it. What is this even for?

[01:24] <Heliotrope> Gaze Into The Abyss
[01:24] <Heliotrope> !r 2d6
[01:24] <Krysmbot> Heliotrope, 8 = 8

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Hot: 2 | Cold: 1 | Volatile: -1 | Dark: -1 --- Experience: 0/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions: - Loser, Obsessed

This is... partly, it's completely ridiculous and unbelievable. A town spanning magic conspiracy that the key to unraveling is in Sam's dreams. But... It's also, it makes sense? More or less. I'm a vampire, Sera is a ghost, why shouldn't Sam be a psychic, or, whatever. Why shouldn't people be sacrificing girls to the spirit of the town. I don't really like the idea that that's what turned me into a vampire, but I didn't like the idea of it being some stupid family curse that only ever hit me, so I guess trading one reason I don't like for a new one isn't a big deal.

More importantly though, we can't go back to school like this! Well, Sam and Sera can I think, not to be rude but I don't think anyone could have told you what Sam's style was, so they won't notice she's not wearing it. But if I do, it'll be really obvious I'm wearing Sera's clothes, which will bring up way too many questions. "If we're going to try and find Tabitha at school, I'm going to need a change of my own clothes again, or everyone will be able to tell we... you know." Hmm, what else. "Sam, weren't you going to try and get that drug from Nadejda? I owe Tabitha a favor, so I could talk to her and see about that while Sera gets all stealthy to get your journal back when she's focused on me, and you can find out what you need from Nadej."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Harm: 0/4 | XP: 0/5 | Conditions: None | Location: The Conspiracy

I think for a moment. That's... that's a good point. Carmilla was really on top of this whole secret relationship thing. I scratch my cheek idly, "Yeah, that's a fair point. So we'll need to hit your place first, huh. I think I'll be able to slip through a wall or the floor behind her while you guys talk and get the journal. Assuming she keeps it on her, anyways. It shouldn't be a problem to do that and keep an eye on things with Sam." I turned to Sam and gave her a soft smile. "We can keep that on the back-burner if you want, Sam, it's been a crazy day for us all already. Plenty of leads to follow up on and I don't want you getting hurt."

Of course, it did seem connected to the larger mystery. The ghostly voices... could it be related to the sacrifices? Or was it just another symptom of the town getting weirder? Still, the voices had given a clear warning. It was a bad idea to get Sam in too deep with Nadejda's drugs. I would need to be at my best to keep her safe. If they tried to mess with Sam -- mess with us -- I wouldn't hold back.

Resolving Traumatized. Sam, Sera, and Carmilla mark XP. Taking Cold As Ice as my first advance.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

Harm:0/4 Exp: 1/5 Conditions:

"O-oh, r-right. Nadej." I almost forgot about her. If I went to her now, I'd be going without Sera's help. I'd... be doing it... alone. Isn't Nadejda a pretty nasty person? W-what if I say the wrong thing, and she gets mad? What if she attacks me? W-what do I do? I only said I'd talk to her to help Sera on her story, b-but that's not important now, right? It's more important to find out how to stop whatever this curse is, first. The drugs, they can wait later.

...But what if the drugs have something to do with this conspiracy? What if Nadejda knows something? Can I really do it... by myself?

Sera, you've been doing this for a long time now, haven't you? You've been trying to uncover the secret behind this town, all by yourself. It must've been hard, but something drove you to find the truth, even in death. Look at you. We're talking about cults, curses, and sacrifices, and yet you don't look scared at all. How do you do it? How do you stay brave like that?

And Carmilla... she never had to join us. She could have left anytime she wanted, but instead she chose to be involved.

...Maybe... maybe it's time I try to be more like them. Maybe... maybe it's time for me to stop running away.

"Sera," I hold her hand, and grip tight "I-I'll be fine. T-this thing with N-nadej? It's-it's something I n-need to do. Y-you go with Carmi and g-get my notebook, I-I'll s-see what I can d-do about Nadej. Besides," I give Sera a warm smile, "It w-wouldn't be fair to have you two do all the w-work, r-ight?"

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Scene 3 Continued

Sam Yeah you can do this right! You're gonna march right back into school and get the information you need! Err how exactly? Do you even have a plan or are you just hoping to come up with something on the spot? Still are you at least a little curious about the drugs themselves... after all taking them might blot out some of the memories of that horrible voice right?

Carmilla Good thinking. I mean Sam and Sera are sweet but they're really dumb when it comes to high school politics like this right. Good thing they've got you to do their thinking for you. Still you're still going to need to go home to change right? How are you going to get there do you think it's safe having Sera drop you off? What if your parents see you together after all? What do you do?

Sera Well you can't wrap her up in cotton wool forever can you. It's time to let her fly the nest. Still she seems eager enough and with you to keep a discreet eye on her if you can she should be fine right? So what's the plan now are you going to head straight back to school or is there something else you need to do first?

Sharona You lay your hands on the stains and is it just your imagination or did your hands just tingle. You feel the fear, the anxiety, but more than that you feel the adoration the power, the thrill of them worshipping you. Yes they hate you, but they fear you even more and so the sacrifices will continue.... Until they stopped coming, and you were left alone terrible and wounded and full of wrath. Wait, a sound a cough, a worshipper here at last what do you do?

Mackenzie Sharona, seems distracted, absorbed in whatever the stone is. As you circle round her warily you realise she's in some sort of trance... She doesn't seem to be listening to you. A wolf howls closer this time, What do you do?

Tabitha "And how am I supposed to get something from her? We're not exactly best friends you know and what difference would that even make anyway? She's rich she won't even care about anything missing." Uhh crap she's not buying it. Do you risk telling her more about why you want a personal token of hers? Do you think the rest of the coven would approve of you giving away your secrets. Even if it is for a good cause? What do you do?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Harm 0/4 XP 0/5 Conditions:

Right. We're even at this point because she can't read subtext. Well gently caress it, time to be blunt. Hell it might even be better if she spreads rumors. Let people know I'm not to be hosed with. As long as I leave the girls out of it. And that should be easy enough. The only thing that'll be involved related to them is the mill. And if Jackie is in the mill with me I think we'd have passed the point of her willing to explain why she knows things about stuff. I sigh. "It's not about nicking her stuff. It's about using it. Don't you want to give her a taste of her own medicine? Send the bad juju back at her? Can you think of something more fitting? Hell if you do it with me you can influence how it manifests. You know, choose how her glamour backfires."
Okay that should be good. No room for error but still enough plausible deniably about literally invoking black magic. But better go in for the kill just in case. "So are you in or what? Well you can think about it. I'll be waiting at that lovely well they never tore down at the edge of town at eleven thirty. Meet me there." I shrug. "gently caress it, I'll do the hard part and get the thing from her too. But I'm only doing this favor if you're serious about it and show up." I wave my hand dismissively. "You're not a charity case, right? I mean I don't like home wreckers either but I'm not spiderman, I help hose that help themselves." I offer my hand to shake. "So you'll at least consider it yeah?"

Took Sanctuary

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Harm 0/4 | Experience 0+1/5 | Conditions: Babe In the Woods

I look up from the altar, and see. The worshiper? Her? No, Mackenzie. Who could worship me. Fill that void that just showed up. I stagger up, and go towards her. I need to make her go away. I need...I need her to see me. Who I really am. What I'll make her do.

"I can handle myself Mackenzie. Want to push me? Just admit it." I stand up and start approaching her. "I'm better in the woods then you are. Right? Admit it."

[02:09] <Heliotrope> Shut Down Mackenzie
[02:09] <Heliotrope> !r 2d6+1
[02:09] <Krysmbot> Heliotrope, 5+1 = 6
Forget to put +1 for pursuing a Hunger, so Mackenzie loses a String on Sharona and gives her a Condition

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

There's something seriously wrong about this stone...I need to come back out here by moonlight, when I'm not trying to round up a girl who is now kinda starting to worry me and when I can get all 'alpha wolf' (it's bad biology but the term will do for the moment) without anyone getting hurt. The howl is also worrying, especially because I don't remember a pack being around here and I feel like I'd know. New wolf looking to grab territory? Cool and all but I don't really have time for a meet and greet right now. When Sharona gets up she's acting weird and aggressive and it sort of annoys me, but I push it down and try and be the bigger person.

"What the hell did I do? I thought we were...oh, forget it. Listen, whatever your problem is now we need to get out of here, OK? I don't care how great you are in the woods, this place isn't safe."

Sharona can take the condition Flighty

I fail at being the bigger person, but I did try.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Harm 0/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions: Babe In the Woods, Flighty

For a moment, I hesitate. Then I just rush forward and slam her down onto the ground, pinning her beneath me.

[13:12] <Heliotrope> Lash Out At Mackenzie
[13:12] <Heliotrope> !r 2d6+2
[13:12] <Krysmbot> Heliotrope, 6+2 = 8
Includes +1 from pursuing Hunger
MC decides how bad the harm turns out to be

"Safe? I don't think I need to worry about that. You might though. Admit it."

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

I kiss Sam on the forehead and then step back, "Okay, Sam, you've got this. We'll make sure to get your notebook back. Lets get to it, ladies." Of course, as much as I admired her drive, I wasn't about to leave her alone. If anyone in this group could keep all of the plates spinning and keep Carmilla and Sam safe, it would be me. It would just require some careful timing. Nothing could go wrong with this plan. Nothing at all.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Hot: 2 | Cold: 1 | Volatile: -1 | Dark: -1 --- Experience: 1/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions: - Loser, Obsessed

"You can do it Sam!" I give her a warm smile, and a quick hug. It doesn't look like it was an easy choice for her, so I'm a little proud of her for it. But we have another problem still, my clothes... My parents aren't that suspicious that they'd freak out just seeing me with other girls, I mean, it's not like I'm allowed to be spending time alone with guys. They don't think I'm into girls, and they've spent my entire life trying to make sure I'm not, and also that I'm not having any kind of physical contact with a guy past shaking hands. So their focus on me is definitely in the opposite direction. Still, seeing me in these clothes with two girls also in the same style of clothes might tip them off...

"Hey Sera, can you do me one more big favor? I'd rather not have my parents see me like this either, they might get suspicious, so when we go to my house, could you like... ghost into my room and get out a change of clothes for me?"

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

I give Carmilla a thumbs-up, "Not a problem. Just point me in the right direction and let me know what you want."

I mean, obviously I already knew where her room was, but I couldn't very well admit that. Not yet, anyways. It would be a funny story for later! Just a routine late-night investigation, nothing weird about watching a very, very cute classmate sleep. Nope. Not weird at all.

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

"T-thanks, you two!"

Yea! No more hiding! It's time for Sam Parker to take charge! I can do this! I think. I don't really have a plan in mind, other than "meet up with Nadejda and talk." I'll just play it by ear, what's the worst that could happen? I could die, that's the worst thing that could happen. No, I can't start thinking like that again. I need to be brave! Like Sera! I'll get the information we need one way or another, and I'll get out in one piece!

Nadejda might offer me a "free sample," but I'll refuse it. I'm sure I can come up with a good excuse... I hope. I don't need the drugs. As long as I have Carmie and Sera by my side, I feel like I can get through any situation, no matter how bad it is. Their love is all I need.

"C-come on!" I grab their hands, "T-there's no t-time to waste! L-let's get going, we have a curse to stop!"

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Scene 4

Tabitha: She hesitantly takes your hand and gives you a smile. "If you'd do it for me then you're definitely some kind of hero. That bitch deserves whatever you do to her. If being there is what it's going to cost me then I'll pay up. Say how are you going to--- nevermind what I don't know I don't have to lie about. " She realises she's been holding your hand a while and then blushes before shaking it quickly and businesslike to cover her unease. Well there you go, so all you need to do now is get close enough to Carmilla to get something important off of her. Easier said than done of course but you're a resourceful girl. I'm sure you can manage it right? And well did you notice the way she looked when she blushed perhaps there's possibilities for a little fun there too . Still business before pleasure right? What do you do now?

Sera Right you can do this. How does it feel anyway when you walk through walls just out of curiosity? Also I suppose it's a power that does come in handy when you forget your keys or need to say break into an abandoned factory, or say spy on cute girls. Sbtill Sam leads you both out of the paper, she's obviously keen to get started. It looks like you've put a real spring in her step. You'll just have to hope that she'll be ok on her own right? I mean eventually you'll have to let her go and do her own thing. Does that scare you? Still you climb into a car with Carmilla and drive for her house. It's not that hard to find is it given your uhh nocturnal visit is it?

Carmilla Yeah the clothes probably would be a big tip off. Still chances are your parents are at work this time of the day and the house should be deserted right? So you should be safe. Oddly enough as you and Sera are driving you notice she doesn't seem to need directions. It's like she already knows where you live... Since the two of you only ahem got involved with each other today it's a little odd right or am I just being paranoid? Do you ask her about it or is it best just to let sleeping ghosts lie?

Sam You lead the other two out of the paper and watch as they climb into the car without you. Is it hard to watch them go without you? Still you can't afford to dwell on thoughts like that can you, you have a job to do. Still you set off for school at a determined pace hopefully Nadeja will be there right? Or at least you'll be able to track her down from there. Like some sort of super-sleuth or maybe a journalist like Sera wants to be. Have you ever thought of a career like that?

Sharona Pinned beneath you looking up in shock, yeah you're not the vulnerable one here. She is, You could do anything you wanted to her right now and there's nothing she could do to stop you is there? Still I think you've proved your point. Are you going to get up and let her go or take advantage of her in this prone position?

Mackenzie Oof take one harm She can move fast when she wants to and she's sneaky. Still you don't have time for this do you? Not while there's wolves and who knows what in these woods. What do you do?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Harm 0/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions: Babe In the Woods, Flighty

Part of me realizes how wrong everything is going. But...that desire for worship. It's just. Here. And strong. I grin at Mackenzie, lying on top of her.

"Well? Come on. Tell me how good I am."

[17:05] <Heliotrope> Turn On Mackenzie
[17:05] <Heliotrope> !r 2d6
[17:05] <Krysmbot> Heliotrope, 7 = 7
Includes +1 for pursuing a Hunger
Self/Promise/String/Embarrassed

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Sick. This is going to be fun. "It'll be a blast. I'm looking forward to it." Now to get close to Carmilla so I can prank on her. I'll butter her up for it I think. Preactively make up to her the clowning on that's going to happen. I take out my phone and open up facebook. I'll just send her a friendly dm.

yo girl where even are you? are you stuck elbow deep or sumthin lol. poo poo if ur skippin so am I

Let's see where this takes me.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Ah, ow, my head! What the actual gently caress?! What is your damage, girl? You flip out, run away, knock me down and now you want me to feed your loving ego?

No. You mess with the wolf, you get the fangs. She's pinning my arms down and smiling like it aint no thing but I'm on home ground here:

Take a string on Mac

Lash out at Sharona (Babe in the Woods): 2d6+3 12

1 Harm, and you choke up before you can react

I break her grip with rush of adrenaline, sit up and smack my forehead into her nose, pushing her off me and back onto the ground. I'm standing over her now and I guess I might be snarling a little bit when I say:

"You're lost and one wrong move away from being alone out here. Try that poo poo again and you'll get to find out how good you are in the woods for real."

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

I watch as the two most important people in my life drive off. I continue watching, until they're nothing but a blip in the distance. Of course it's hard watching them go off without me, do you think I wanted to be alone again? Of course not, but this is the decision I made. I can't be a burden anymore. Sera might not blame me for it, but I still feel guilty for her death, and this is my way of making it up to her.

I'm connected to this whole mess somehow. For some reason or another, they chose me. They took my parents, but they spared my life. They took Misty, but not me. They could easily take my life anytime they want, but they haven't yet, instead choosing to take everything around me. Why? Why me? Does it have something to do with the dreams? A part of me doesn't want to know. I'm scared, scared of finding out the truth, but I can't lose my nerves now. This... is something I have to do. I have to discover the truth, no matter how painful it might be.

Heh, "discover the truth," listen to me, I'm starting to sound like Sera. I don't think I can be the same fearless journalist like she is, though. I'd rather be writing books. Maybe, if we get out of this okay, I could turn this whole adventure into a novel? "Ditchdale Mysteries - The Town's Shadowy Secret! Staring, Ghost Girl, Vampire Girl, and Normal Girl! Hm. Might have to workshop that title around a bit.

Ahhh, I can't be distracted now. I have a job to do! Find Nadeja, get info about the drugs, and get out in one piece. Shouldn't be that hard. I hope. She should be at the girl's bathroom, waiting for me. If she isn't there, she'll either be at the parking lot, or the backside of the school.

I turn, hair whipping in the cold wind, and make my way back to the school, a newfound feeling of determination filling up inside of me. I have to do this, for me, for the people of this town, for Carmie, and... for Sera.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Harm: 0/4 | XP: 0/5 | Conditions: None | Location: Just About To Carmilla's House

The drive was quiet. Not because I didn't want to talk to Carmilla, of course, but because I was worried about Sam. If this was just a routine thing, what was the worst that could happen? Well, knowing Sam... it could still get kind of sketchy. But this? This was weird. Visions of dead people crying out for help? That's not just a normal drug story. I'm not always going to be there when there's trouble. I know that. But... at the same time, when I can be there? I want to be.

I look down at my phone, which is helpfully providing a Google Maps route to Carmilla's house. I'm not exactly following it's recommendations, but I like having it open anyways. I know a couple of short cuts. Not as short as flying, but close enough. The whole flying thing and walking through walls is actually pretty drat fun. It's kind of hard to describe how it feels when I go through something. It's kind of like pushing through pretty stiff Jello, I guess? There's resistance at first, but then you just slide right on through.

Back in the moment, I look over at Carmilla, "So what clothes did you want me to grab, anyways?"

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Harm 1/4 | Experience 0/5 | Conditions: Babe In the Woods, Flighty

Before I know what's happening, I'm on the ground and bleeding from the nose. poo poo. I try to get up, but just roll over a little. I look up at her.

"Yeah well. Go ahead. Leave."

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Harm: 1/4 | XP: 3/5 | Conditions: | Location: The Altar

I stare down at her with my mouth open like a yokel for probably 30 seconds before I manage to say anything.

"What? No! That wasn't what I...ugh, why are you like this?"

I grab my head and groan in frustration. Take a deep breath, Mackenzie. This can still get fixed. I sit down on the only thing available (the creepy stone) and stare at her. Oh man, she's bleeding where I hit her. What the gently caress was I thinking? I should have just let her...no. No, this thing that happened with us today doesn't mean she gets to treat me like a dog. But still, I gotta say something.

"OK, look. Up until five minutes ago you were one of like two good things to ever happen to me. I'm not going to throw that away because you had a panic attack or whatever. I think you're still into me, I'm still into you, but I guess we have some loving issues to work out. I wanna work them out with you, but not by wrestling. If you don't wanna head home yet then whatever, let's hang out here."

I rub the back of my head where I hit something when I fell...when she knocked me down. poo poo, I think I'm bleeding as well. I guess that's fair? Absent-minded, I wipe my fingers on the stone. Why has today gone so wierd?

Gaze Into The Abyss: 2d6-1 7

I get a confusing and alarming answer to the above question

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Dec 21, 2016

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Hot: 2 | Cold: 1 | Volatile: -1 | Dark: -1 --- Experience: 1/5 | Harm: 0/4 | Conditions: - Loser, Obsessed

I wouldn't have noticed anything about Sera knowing how to find my house at all if she hadn't set a GPS, but the fact that it keeps having to calibrate the route because she keeps taking shortcuts gets me paying a little attention, and yeah, these are actually shortcuts too, the same way I'd have driven. It's not really very suspicious, because it's a small town, but still, a little odd. Why put the GPS in if she knew how to get there at all? And yeah, the house is probably empty, but rather not risk it.

"Um... just whatever. Everything I have that isn't like, sunday best is my style. Pick out what you want to see me in." I wink - the gesture feeling good, but oddly uncomfortable. Glancing away awkwardly, I notice my phone has a message on facebook for me. From... Tabitha! How helpful. "Huh... Tabitha messaged me, that makes things easier."

> skipping yeah
> stopping by home to get nonsprinklered clothes
> then was going to find u
> to discuss what we talked about
> where u want to meet?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Yeah I'm going to need excruciating deets. Just how private you want that convo? We can hide all the way in the old mill lol. I'll meet you at Leedan and Willow, that's half way between us.

I slip my phone back in my pocket. Well that was easy. I start walking towards the street corner right away.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

"I don't think things can work out." Why did I even bother trying. Should have just left things like they were. But now things are getting worse. Maybe I should just explain things to her. Although how I can make sense without resorting to the "I'm dead" thing is beyond me. gently caress it. I just start walking away as she seems to be pretty deep in through about something. Either I'll stumble on a way out or die so. Whatever.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Scene 5

Tabitha: Well that was remarkably easy. Have you given any thought as to how you're going to deal with Carmilla? I mean you can't very well just walk up to her chanting in gibberish can you? and getting her to hand over something wouldn't be easy would it. Still maybe if you could come up with a clever enough distraction.... What do you do to prepare?

Carmilla How convenient. Just when you needed to get Sam's journal back from Tabitha she contacts you out of the blue. Almost like it's too convenient . She clearly wants something from you. Still you can handle her right? If you had to? While you're waiting you notice something out of place with the house what is it and why does it worry you?

Sera Hmm this is the place. Getting in will be the easy part. You've done that before. Of course now you'll need to get something out. But open a window and step out. Shouldn't be too hard right providing no one can see you. You drift into Carmilla's room and it's much as you remember it. The dust on the mirror is slightly thicker and the mess has been rearranged slightly but still. As you dig through her wardrobe and her drawers looking for something suitable. What do you pick for her? As you're debating you here voices. "--it's got to be here somewhere. Maybe it's in the kids room." Oh crap. You hear footsteps coming along the hall. What do you do?

Sam You stride forward towards the school scanning for Nadeja. a number of very disgruntled staff members with mops are walking past you. One of them you recognise to you and says "Miss Parker did you not get the message. School's closed for the day while we clean up." Who is it? and what excuse do you give them for being back in school?

Mackenzie: As the blood on your hands hit the stone. you feel a jolt... of something. Almost like you'd stuck your fingers in an electric socket. And you feel it the hunger, the hate, the desire to be loved. For a brief glorious moment you feel detached. A part of something greater than you. And that something hates you, no it hates everyone, and it's punished you all. For your failures. You are cursed doubly so, and you feel the echoes of the second great curse like a great voice reverberating terribly in your ears "your children will cease and your lines will end. All of them!" With a start you wake up on the altar. Sharona is long gone. What do you do?

Sharona: Whatever? After what you shared. What you felt the best you can manage is whatever? Ok fine so you set off into the woods and walk. As you do you can't escape the feeling that you're being watched. Was that a twig snapping under someone's foot. Is it Mackenzie following you or someone else? What do you do?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

Uh, what exactly is she thinking for this? She made a suggestive joke about what she wanted back when... she saw us, but that was just a joke, right? Ugh.

>if thats what u want for keeping quiet
>can give u all the excru details
>100% private tho
>mill sounds good

Slipping my phone away, I look up at the house from around the corner and frown. There are lights on - we usually keep a few, but my parent's bedroom light, and the "maid's room" which hasn't had a maid in it in decades, and the halls... Ah, poo poo, someone is hope, despite how early it is! I REALLY hope Sera has her phone on vibrate... Because this time she's getting a message.

>someones home! be super quiet sorry

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Huh. Was really joking with that. But I won't complain. This will be easier on my home turf. I'll have to not turn this bring people to the mill thing into a habit, but as long as its at times we'd never meet anyway the girls shouldn't mind. It's all for stoking the flames of sisterhood and all that jazz anyway. I figure I'll try to kill her with kindness first. There a lot of ways to separate a fool from their junk. But I might as well have some more fun in the process. Goddess knows, there is little entertainment to be had in this cesspool of a town. If she's not in the mood for fun there's a ton of ways I could nick it from her. With the meeting location where it is I think it'd be good to spook her. So much magick resonance in that spot I could trigger all sorts of spooky ghost poo poo.

Probably.

I stand at the street corner I said I'd meet her at. She probably doesn't know where the mill is. Why would anyone bother knowing where that stain is? The Seven Eleven is here. It's great because Mike works there and he doesn't give a fuk about poo poo. Never cards anyone. Actually that give me an idea. I pop in to grab a forty. It'll further justify our clandestine meeting spot and it'll lower her defenses. I've used worse excuses to drink.

SHY NUDIST GRRL fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 29, 2016

Tardzilla
Aug 31, 2006

"O-Oh!" Standing in front of me is Mr. Matthews, one of the few good teachers in this school. He looks at me with genioune concern on his face, and when I look back at him, I think back to... that moment. When I saw him staring out the window, and for a moment, I swear I saw his face go... blank, like a mannequins.

A shiver runs down my spin when I remember that moment. N-no, I m-must've been seeing things. Yes. Just seeing things. Mr. Matthews is too nice. T-there's no way he could ever be a... whatever it was that I thought I saw.

"I-I..." I need to think of an excuse, fast. I feel bad for lying to him, but there's no way I can actually tell him the truth on why I'm here, "I... forgot something i-important i-in my l-locker. I-I c-c-came back t-to grab it! I w-w-won't be h-here long."

Please, please don't ask me anymore questions. Please just let me pass.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Harm: 0/4 | XP: 0/5 | Conditions: None | Location: Literally In The Closet

Ah, yes, the classic "whatever" outfit. This might be tricky. I stare at the dizzying array of punk outfits on display in her closet. I really have no idea what she wants. Something... aggressive? Wait, but maybe she wants Tabitha to underestimate her. Something demure, then? Have I mentioned before I really don't have much experience with fashion? Apparently, I've stumbled on a 'look', but... Well, it's not like Sam and I were trading hot fashion tips. I'm about three seconds from throwing my hands up in the air and picking something at random when I hear voices in the hallway. poo poo!

I phase into the clothes lining the closet and swing the door shut behind me. Hopefully, they won't need to get into the closet, but if they do... Well, I'll have to improvise. Maybe go into the walls? Head into the attic? My phone buzzes and I read Carmilla's message. As I hold my breath, I tap a quick message back.

>parents in your room
>trapped
>distraction?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

I frown at the message, a bit confused. What are my parents doing in my room? And why does she need a distraction? She's a ghost!

>cant u just ghost thru the wall?
>u had clothes on last time
>put mine on ovr and get out
>though if u can watch thru crack in door to see wtf theyr up to would be nice

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Harm: 0/4 | XP: 0/5 | Conditions: None | Location: Literally In The Closet

>dont think I can w/your stuff
>my stuff is ok
>wavelengths or something who tf knows
>might make your stuff ghost clothes if I try

The finer points of ghost metaphysics, at least as far as I understood them, were certainly difficult to communicate over text. Even as I scrabbled out another text, I could hear them bumping around outside the closet. I may just need to snoop first and grab an outfit later. I mentally prepared to head into the ceiling if I heard any indication they were going for the closet.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

When I hear the snap, I pause. I hold my breath. Is that Mackenzie? Probably. I crouch and wait to see if she comes into view.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Harm: 1/4 | XP: 3/5 | Conditions: | Location: The Altar

What the gently caress was that? A curse on children and lines? That's some old testament poo poo. I'm not hanging around to find out what kind of thing has an altar in the woods and drops curses, we need to leave...

And she's already gone.

"Aww, gently caress. How long was I out?"

Do I have a concussion or something? I feel OK, but it's past time to get out of here. Hopefully I'll catch up with Sharona before something else finds her.

Run Away from the creepy altar: 2d6+2 10

I get away to a 'safe place', although I'll swap safety for catching up to Sharona in the nick of time

• Locked thread