Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/JoyceCarolOates/status/793816434073739264?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxwiNgPq_5M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I suppose this has some merit, but my main question is why did they censor Trump's name?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Covok posted:

I suppose this has some merit, but my main question is why did they censor Trump's name?

getting ready for the well deserved Damnatio memoriae when we take the country back

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Joyce Carol Oates does weird things on twitter

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
so many rare pepes they'll add a floor to the guggenheim

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Covok posted:

it might be a trigger word for some lmbo

tweet does have a point though, some art came out of this election and it was great

lots of material to draw from

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
we got the iraq war under gwb but we also got the wire, id say its a wash

MisterFister
Jul 6, 2003

Sticking it to THE MAN, assuming THE MAN is an innocent casual dining restaurant.
Horror movies are gonna be good.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one

MisterFister posted:

That's the news.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Make Anime Great Again

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

MisterFister posted:

more like post apocalyptic movies

emp nukes, tom clancy movies~

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

devtesla posted:

Joyce Carol Oates does weird things on twitter

Joyce Carol Oates is a weird thing on twitter

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
"hey man i know that trump and co are loving you over on your medicare but did you know that a lot of great art comes out of times of strife and estrangement from establishment/authority?"

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Darkman Fanpage posted:

"hey man i know that trump and co are loving you over on your medicare but did you know that a lot of great art comes out of times of strife and estrangement from establishment/authority?"

Art was better during the 90s than the Bush years.

That's not just nostalgia speaking. Illustrations were more stylized, films were more transgressive, music was pushing into new frontiers. 9/11 made everyone retarded.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
:nws: http://i.imgur.com/To2Eld2.png :nws:

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
whos that guy? he looks like a total bellend...

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

That's not just nostalgia speaking. Illustrations were more stylized, films were more transgressive, music was pushing into new frontiers. 9/11 made everyone retarded.

ya ive said it many times before both here and elsewhere but that is the truth and remember that whole post-9/11 void quite well and it was a really bad time to come of age (thankfully i eventually discovered :420:)

imo culture has just started to fully rebound in the past few years tho but i really do wonder where its going to be heading from here? so far im remaining optimistic but i do have a feeling that after a few years into 45 its all gonna just crash the fk out like the nixon 70s and go full malaise again :ohdear:

http://www.nytimes.com/books/01/06/10/reviews/010610.10packert.html

^ chk the date on that :ironicat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF6mWMCDECE

on the plus side it might be a good time to begin conceptualizing and organizing ideas for my eventual novel...and im sure we will get some cool music scenes 8-10yrs from now like NYC in the mid/late 70s unfortunately by that time i will be like 40yo prob with a full head of grey hair (tho unlike mitchellvii id welcome it instead of having an existential crisis on yahoo answers over it) - but thankfully my fav thing about getting older is the less fks u give year after passing yr...so ill prob still be going to shows and vibing out with the kiddos

Mariana Horchata has issued a correction as of 05:26 on Nov 19, 2016

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i can think of one thing that might explain it, may-b a lil obv but, as the economy (or the perception of the economy) shrinks and expands, record companies movie companies etc. are less willing to take risks on more inventive or transgressive works of art..... that said underground scenes spring up but it's kinda hard to pin down what makes A Thing happen...... and of course there are lone comets of talent that briefly surface above the noise for a handful people and disappear again either making a mark or not. i dunno maybe that's a bit of a cynical n fatalistic analysis

i think maybe that might not apply to i guess what's known as fine art or visual art(???) - you kno, poo poo thats in museums!!!! - investors are looking to make long term stable investments to trade tightly among members of the same class strata. the fine art world is essentially a collection of extremely rich people, foundations, and government bodies selling high value but (usually, ) portable single or collections of objects or uh... i guess in the case of artists like sol le witt, concepts or performances (descriptions, notes etc.).

here's the entire art object that a collector would own for a sol lewitt (brevity is the so lewitt ha ha i think of this joke i made up and probably 70 other people every time i think of sol lewitt).

(if this makes u ball your fists a lil bit in anger, good good good gooooooood it should whether u feel u understand it or not)

and then the motherfuckers just trade this sort of thing between themselves in single purchases or lots.

anyway, when i think of those kinds of artists, working in media that would belong to a collector or gallery (or the big leagues, an institutional museum) big A Art i guess, i personally gravitate towards art that was made during times of turmoil, the transgressive art of the late 60s of political upheavel and well, most of the 70s of economic depression and stalking, preying crimes of desperate violence.

trigger warning, a guy gets shot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26R9KFdt5aY

i really became interested in art that was roughly contemporary with the 2008 crash, but .

when i think about the 90s in visual arts i guess i think of.... uhhhhh keith haring??? that skull encrusting motherfucker damien hirst????

im flipping thru some stuff and im remembering a (controversial!) piece from the 90s i really liked or hated when i first heard about it but love now:

shoutout to grimes

basically this sculpture - which was made by filling an old house set for demolition with concrete to form a massive house-sized ediface - i guess the formal analysis would be it represented the changing nature of the neighbourhood in which it was erected, an effort to make literally concrete the ghosts of those that were pushed out for whatever reason - and of course it was demolished in literally weeks. for tha wiki-inclined: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_(sculpture)

anyway, im rambling but i guess the thesis it might be interesting to explore to explore is whether visual art was was in decline during the economic boom that lead those investment dollars away from visual arts - tho two other explanations immediately come to mind, the literal talent drain from deaths from hiv/aids and overdose which wiped out wide swaths of visual artists (many of whom lived during the plague years in nyc), the other was the slow squeezing of the public funds many artists depended throughout the 80s and 90s, but before the huge sunflower bursts of new money in silicon valley created a lot of class-insecure individuals eager to buy their way into the strata collectors live in

this is an embarrassingly bare bones and meandering critique, most of which is probably untrue ha ha, theres been millions (billions?) of words written about this sort of thing but

Al! has issued a correction as of 08:21 on Nov 19, 2016

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

woah did anyone get the veve of the loa that rode me just then

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Only tangentially related to the thread topic, but this article by Jonathan Jones is p. good in hindsight even if it draws the wrong conclusion

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/jonathanjonesblog/2016/mar/03/donald-trump-where-is-political-art-satire

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

exmarx posted:

Only tangentially related to the thread topic, but this article by Jonathan Jones is p. good in hindsight even if it draws the wrong conclusion

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/jonathanjonesblog/2016/mar/03/donald-trump-where-is-political-art-satire

i think jj here is a little obsessively focused on pop artists, as if they were anywhere near the vanguard of transgressive or left-political art these days (mostly they make things for other rich guys to enjoy).

that said, i disagree with his thesis that there isn't transgressive art being made against trump RIGHT NOW (see the micropenis above, or the sculptures in nyc and sf (the sculptures were def astroturfed in retrospect), artists are obsessed with emasculating him........) they're just not with the author's boomer sphere of pop art mediocrity.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Al! posted:

i think jj here is a little obsessively focused on pop artists, as if they were anywhere near the vanguard of transgressive or left-political art these days (mostly they make things for other rich guys to enjoy).

that said, i disagree with his thesis that there isn't transgressive art being made against trump RIGHT NOW (see the micropenis above, or the sculptures in nyc and sf (the sculptures were def astroturfed in retrospect), artists are obsessed with emasculating him........) they're just not with the author's boomer sphere of pop art mediocrity.

warhol is the only pop artist mentioned in the piece, so i'm not sure what you're getting at there. i'm not sure how effective the nude trumps are at actually saying anything — presidential candidate is an old fat guy with a small dick, wow — and by their nws nature they can't become part of the popular culture like warhol's nixon or fairey's hope.

but anyway the central point of the article is this:

quote:

There is just one problem with Warhol’s mockery of Nixon and Heartfield’s visceral images of Hitler. Neither made much impact. Nixon got re-elected in 1972 and it would take a lot more than photomontage to stop the Nazis.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Is this person afraid that actually spelling out Trump's name in a tweet will summon them in to the room with them or something like Candy Man or Bloody Mary?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

exmarx posted:

warhol is the only pop artist mentioned in the piece, so i'm not sure what you're getting at there. i'm not sure how effective the nude trumps are at actually saying anything — presidential candidate is an old fat guy with a small dick, wow — and by their nws nature they can't become part of the popular culture like warhol's nixon or fairey's hope.

but anyway the central point of the article is this:

koons (def def most def) and chuck close (less def but still pretty def) are pop artists too.... but anyway that's boring semantic poo poo, here's one of my favorite artists, paul mccarthy, with a crude animatronic of gwb loving a pig (nws obv)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ika60mcJR-g

and here's something else

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76YkbsSiZk4

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
in a populist era like we have now i don't know how useful avant garde art is. i'd probably be willing to make the argument that yarn bombing, being a sort of folk art, has more political utility than animatronic pig loving.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

oh i see what you guys are saying now. i don't really give a poo poo about the political utility sorry............

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
we could have gamed in the clinton years again alas it wasn't to be

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

But it was far better in the 80s during the Reagan years

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Mr President posted:

But it was far better in the 80s during the Reagan years

The best thing to come out of the 80s was Paul Verhoeven. The 70s were better than the 80s. :cool:

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The best thing to come out of the 80s was Paul Verhoeven. The 70s were better than the 80s. :cool:

nah son NAH

80s had ALL the best movies: Terminator, Ghostbusters, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, Back to the Future, Robocop, Predator, etc. etc. etc.
ALL the best comics: John Ostrander Suicide Squad, Claremont X-Men & New Mutants, Alan Moore Swamp Thing, Neil Gaiman Sandman, Dark Knight Returns, Frank Miller Daredevil, WATCHMEN
and ALL the best music: the golden age of pop, synth wave,Early hip hop/rap, glam rock, heavy metal & punk in their prime

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Mr President posted:

nah son NAH

80s had ALL the best movies: Terminator, Ghostbusters, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, Back to the Future, Robocop, Predator, etc. etc. etc.
ALL the best comics: John Ostrander Suicide Squad, Claremont X-Men & New Mutants, Alan Moore Swamp Thing, Neil Gaiman Sandman, Dark Knight Returns, Frank Miller Daredevil, WATCHMEN
and ALL the best music: the golden age of pop, synth wave,Early hip hop/rap, glam rock, heavy metal & punk in their prime

Try the golden age of metal, funk, soul, and yes - even disco.
The frontier-shattering films: The Godfather, Taxi Driver, The Warriors, Chinatown, A Clockwork Orange, Halloween, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, I could go on.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Try the golden age of metal, funk, soul, and yes - even disco.
The frontier-shattering films: The Godfather, Taxi Driver, The Warriors, Chinatown, A Clockwork Orange, Halloween, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, I could go on.
70's cinema was too reliant on articles.

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

there will be some good art but more prominent will be some really bad art aimed at the trump crowd

not that there wasn't already

citybeatnik posted:

Is this person afraid that actually spelling out Trump's name in a tweet will summon them in to the room with them or something like Candy Man or Bloody Mary?

i dunno about jco but some people do it to reduce the incidence of trumpists harassing them after a search for term 'trump'

likewise for other similar figures or things like the g-word

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

citybeatnik posted:

well it might summon a lot of trolls to their twitter feed I guess, pretty easy to search for "Trump" and spam whoever's saying bad things about president man if you're that kind of person

not to say I think it's a particularly effective strategy, mind

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

just the ridiculous bioshock infinite art

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

To quote Harry Lime from The Third Man (1949)

quote:

Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Angepain posted:

well it might summon a lot of trolls to their twitter feed I guess, pretty easy to search for "Trump" and spam whoever's saying bad things about president man if you're that kind of person

not to say I think it's a particularly effective strategy, mind

Peel posted:

i dunno about jco but some people do it to reduce the incidence of trumpists harassing them after a search for term 'trump'

likewise for other similar figures or things like the g-word

Ah I see, I suppose that makes sense.

• Locked thread