Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I used to only have white bread, then I switched to brown bread and only realised how much I'd gone off white bread when I was making my sandwiches to take into work and we'd run out of the whole wheat stuff. White bread is far too sweet-tasting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Pumpernickel is the best bread because it is both delicious and a good name for a cat.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
White bread is not universally the sweet stuff you get if you buy like Wonderbread etc. There are plenty of freshly baked white breads that taste fine and are just as good as the bread you can get everywhere else, right in your American supermarket if they have a bakery.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The military worship in the United States is gross.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Only major dumbos refer to bread by the colour instead of saying, rye bread, oat bread, etc.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Das Boo posted:

Pumpernickel is the best bread because it is both delicious and a good name for a cat.

Umm, excuse me, I would name my cat Sourdough if I could :colbert:

But I can't so I won't.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

when i get brutally chopped up by jihadis for pooping in the kabbah, hell, i'll be having fun and it'll be a good time.

ANUSTART
Jun 26, 2013

ur jiri3-pax(PAD)-ra2 al-tukur2?-re
gu-du-ni an-na-ab-be2
a-ra-/ab-gig-ga\-[(X)]-e-ce

- Wisdom of the ages.

doverhog posted:

Only major dumbos refer to bread by the colour instead of saying, rye bread, oat bread, etc.

white or wheat bread they ask and the sandwich shop, but all i can think is 'the brown bread, not the tan brown but the dark dark brown, the really dark brown'

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Rick and Morty is just okay. Not terrible or mediocre, not the second coming of comedy clown Jesus or the be-all-end-all to comedy everywhere, just okay. However, that animatic they did of the State of Georgia court case is really dumb.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jastiger posted:

Changing behavior or appearanced to appease grandma or dad or uncle whoever to avoid conflict is dumb as hell, especially if you're hosting. The idea that you have to change to avoid conflict is cowardly
Making minor sacrifices to get along with people you can't avoid: cowardly. :rolleyes:

yeah I eat rear end posted:

White bread is not universally the sweet stuff you get if you buy like Wonderbread etc. There are plenty of freshly baked white breads that taste fine and are just as good as the bread you can get everywhere else, right in your American supermarket if they have a bakery.
Even good white bread is not as good as wholemeal.

doverhog posted:

So how do you differentiate between white and brown/wholemeal bread that are both made of wheat?

ANUSTART posted:

white or wheat bread
Now this is dumb. White bread is also made of wheat.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Gluten free bread should not be called bread. That's like calling tofu a meat substitute. Tofu is a perfectly fine complement to meat dishes but never on its own.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Mu Zeta posted:

Gluten free bread should not be called bread. That's like calling tofu a meat substitute. Tofu is a perfectly fine complement to meat dishes but never on its own.

All gluten free requests in a restaurant should be answered with a disdainful and exasperated sigh, as a law.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

bobjr posted:

I'd say this is inaccurate for me just because I've seen people treat kids differently depending on if it's their own or otherwise. If someone treats kids like poo poo then they're probably not good people in other ways but if someone avoids or ignores a kid I don't see it as a bad thing, when I've seen people who dote on kids act horribly otherwise. How they treat service/retail members or animals works better for me.

One unpopular opinion I have is that ketchup is a bad condiment and there is always a better option.

I like ketchup on my hot dogs. Mustard can kiss my rear end.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Tiggum posted:

Making minor sacrifices to get along with people you can't avoid: cowardly. :rolleyes:

Minor is not bringing up a sensitive topic like politics after a tough election. Crossing the line is lying about who you voted for or removing artwork or decorations because it might offend nana.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Tiggum posted:

So how do you differentiate between white and brown/wholemeal bread that are both made of wheat?

Wheat bread and wholemeal wheat bread?

I mean I guess the US has a specific type of bread that's called "white", fine. But isn't that just wheat bread?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

No. When you ask for wheat bread it's usually a brown colored bread or whole wheat bread. White bread here specifically refers to the ultra processed and soft wonder bread stuff.

There are other white colored breads like sourdough or baguettes or ciabatta but people don't call that white bread.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Yeah "wheat bread" is generally whole wheat bread. "White bread" is usually heavily processed, bleached garbage bread full of high fructose corn syrup. Granted sometimes wheat bread is that stuff made with whole wheat instead of processed what but you know.

Every other kind of bread is what you'd expect. Rye bread is rye, sourdough is sourdough, and so forth.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

You Are A Elf posted:

Umm, excuse me, I would name my cat Sourdough if I could :colbert:

But I can't so I won't.

Sourdough is delicious and what you'd name a fat cat.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Das Boo posted:

Sourdough is delicious and what you'd name a fat cat.

You know, I've heard Fat Cats Go Down Alleys Eating Bread.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

doverhog posted:

I mean I guess the US has a specific type of bread that's called "white", fine. But isn't that just wheat bread?

In Australia white bread is made of white flour and wholemeal bread is made of wholemeal flour. Wikipedia suggests that the same distinction is made in America.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

anime is great

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Even the "best anime" is garbage made by people trained to use what are fundamentally cheap cost-saving animation techniques borne out of the economic conditions of their era, and as a consequence anime can't hold a candle to proper animated movies.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

Even the "best anime" is garbage

:mmmhmm:

steinrokkan posted:

proper animated movies.

Oh, never mind.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Ghibli movies are excellently animated, at least. Miyazaki set out with the intention of emulating Disney animation in its technical proficiency and did a fuckin' ace job of it. As far as the medium goes television-wise, it's as lovely as a ton of Western produced animation, just in a different way.

I mean holy flying dog poo poo, is there anything uglier than a CG-animated TV show?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Anime has a lot of potential but most of their fanbase just seem to be the grossest of humans

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Das Boo posted:

Ghibli movies are excellently animated, at least. Miyazaki set out with the intention of emulating Disney animation in its technical proficiency and did a fuckin' ace job of it. As far as the medium goes television-wise, it's as lovely as a ton of Western produced animation, just in a different way.

I mean holy flying dog poo poo, is there anything uglier than a CG-animated TV show?

Depends; does the newest GBS rule also apply here?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Depends; does the newest GBS rule also apply here?

I thought it as I typed it. We are unspoken, friend.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Canada, Australia, New Zealand etc becoming their own countries was a bad idea and we should have become a super federated British state.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Imperialist Dog posted:

Canada, Australia, New Zealand etc becoming their own countries was a bad idea and we should have become a super federated British state.

Literally laughed out loud at the idea somebody would voluntarily want to be associated with the UK in 2016.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Pentatonix sounds incredibly irritating. I have no idea how people can stand their christmas music either.

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

Das Boo posted:

You're god-damned right. When at somebody's house, seeing their kid watching the cheapest, most terrible animated shows, I feel a huge urge to turn the TV off. It's almost as strong as the urge to fix the drat aspect ratio.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Beige posted:

You're god-damned right. When at somebody's house, seeing their kid watching the cheapest, most terrible animated shows, I feel a huge urge to turn the TV off. It's almost as strong as the urge to fix the drat aspect ratio.

Well at least there's no VCR displays blinking 00:00 anymore.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Nickelodeon 's Jimmy Neutron displays more technical prowess in animation than South Park, and has more potential to be a cultural milestone in American television.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
There's one good anime series every couple of years, but that is one out of hundreds.

Just like western TV in general though

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

steinrokkan posted:

Literally laughed out loud at the idea somebody would voluntarily want to be associated with the UK in 2016.

I meant in the thirties. I kind of look at the UK with a mixture of pity and horror now.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

mine is that trump isn't the end of the world, emails aren't the end of the world, brexit isn't the end of the world, and syria is the end of the world but only for syria

people are becoming hysterical about everything

we have reached peak information age - everyone is furious and the truth doesn't exist let alone matter

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I don't think anyone seriously thinks Trump is going to bring about the end of the world. There are a lot of people saying it, but deep down I'm sure they know that, while things may likely get lovely for them/the world, things will keep on going on as they have been and there will be no end of the world in our lifetime.

A somewhat related opinion: moving to another country solely because of an election result is shameful, and people who do this should have their citizenship revoked permanently. If you want to enjoy the benefits of US citizenship you should stay and try to change it when you don't get your way instead of throwing a tantrum and letting everyone else without the means to move elsewhere sort it out.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

yeah I eat rear end posted:

A somewhat related opinion: moving to another country solely because of an election result is shameful, and people who do this should have their citizenship revoked permanently. If you want to enjoy the benefits of US citizenship you should stay and try to change it when you don't get your way instead of throwing a tantrum and letting everyone else without the means to move elsewhere sort it out.

This exact argument is used by Finnish nationalists against refugees from Syria or Iraq. "If they were good people why didn't they stay and fight for their country?"

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

This exact argument is used by Finnish nationalists against refugees from Syria or Iraq. "If they were good people why didn't they stay and fight for their country?"

Are you seriously suggesting that the situations in Syria and Iraq are anywhere close to similar to the USA's current situation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

It's pretty clear from the post that I'm making no comment about the situation of any of these countries, but rather about the arguments used against refugees and/or immigrants.