Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

doverhog posted:

It's pretty clear from the post that I'm making no comment about the situation of any of these countries, but rather about the arguments used against refugees and/or immigrants.

Refugees and "expats" using their privilege to escape first world inconveniences are in no way comparable, so it is a very bad post. If anything these people are more similar to tax dodging, haven based corporations.

Naturally there are going to be people with legitimate reasons to escape, but those tend to be the ones least able to afford it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

steinrokkan posted:

so it is a very bad post

no u

The citizens of a country are under no obligation to stay and improve it if they want to go elsewhere instead.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

doverhog posted:

no u

The citizens of a country are under no obligation to stay and improve it if they want to go elsewhere instead.

I never said they shouldn't be allowed to leave, just that they shouldn't be allowed to (or at least they should make it difficult to) return whenever it benefits them if they are leaving solely because of political reasons. It's opportunistic and selfish. You're allowed to be opportunistic and selfish, but I wouldn't complain a bit if people like that started getting punished for it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Nickelodeon 's Jimmy Neutron displays more technical prowess in animation than South Park, and has more potential to be a cultural milestone in American television.

You chose to compare Jimmy Neutron to the one show that goes out of its way to look lovely, thus reinforcing the point.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

doverhog posted:

no u

They abandon their own people to their problems, and in fact actively make things worse for them.

It's cowardly and reckless. And then they wonder why so much of the country despises them.

To clarify I'm speaking exclusively about all the wealthy liberals who threatened to emigrate to Canada if they didn't get their way even though they stood to lose absolutely nothing in the election. They in effect said they would abandon their supposed fight for justice because of what ultimately amounts to petty personal grievances, while leaving the downtrodden classes they supposedly champion to their own devices.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 17:52 on Nov 26, 2016

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There's nothing wrong with exotic pets per se, and many of them are less dangerous than dogs which absolutely anyone can have. Either require training and permits for dogs, or shrug your shoulders when someone wants to own flying squirrel.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

How many of those celebrities left when Trump was elected?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh, also both women and men really need to chill out about outward appearances. Beauty culture is completely out of loving control.

That said, shave your loving pube-y beard, it's loving disgusting.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pick posted:

There's nothing wrong with exotic pets per se, and many of them are less dangerous than dogs which absolutely anyone can have. Either require training and permits for dogs, or shrug your shoulders when someone wants to own flying squirrel.

It's not just about danger, it's also about animal cruelty. Who can say they can provide an adequate habitat to a flying squirrel, not to mention something like a leopard.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

It's not just about danger, it's also about animal cruelty. Who can say they can provide an adequate habitat to a flying squirrel, not to mention something like a leopard.

The same is entirely true of a dog or cat, though. I don't object to a ban per se, I object to the double standard where it's okay to have a Great Pyrenees crated in your 1br, but a possum is right out.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Pick posted:

That said, shave your loving pube-y beard, it's loving disgusting.

Grow out your beard instead, also shave your head.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

doverhog posted:

It's pretty clear from the post that I'm making no comment about the situation of any of these countries, but rather about the arguments used against refugees and/or immigrants.

People hate bankers because they think they're undermining society for their own gains.

People hate Jews because they think they're undermining society for their own gains.

Therefore, hating bankers is basically the same as being antisemitic.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Furthermore,

1. "Fast fashion" needs to end. No one needs that many clothes. If we have that much money for clothes, we have enough money to pay a little more for better clothes, maybe even clothes produced domestically.

2. There's nothing wrong with school uniforms.

3. Marijuana legalization is important on behalf of minorities whose lives are ruined over a largely harmless activity, not so that college whites can toke up.

4. Road to El Dorado sucks.

5. Inside Out also sucks.

6. Having Asperger's is a reason why you're a dickhead, not an excuse for being a dickhead, and you can learn to be less of a dickhead.

7. A lot of people claim "Asperger's" when really they are self-centered and poorly socialized in a way that is no way inherent.

8. Commoditization of sex is a serious social problem and does not benefit men or women regardless of how well-established it is in human history.

9. If your car has absolutely nothing personal in it, then you are probably more obsessed with appearances than introspective about yourself.

10. Pepperoni is loving gross.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I agree with some of those, but what's the deal with #9? What "personal" stuff do you have in your car? Do I have to decorate my car interior like it's my dorm room to be "introspective"? The most personal things you'll find in my car is old receipts that fell under the seats and my car registration. I clearly don't care about appearances because I drive a pile of poo poo 97 ford explorer whose systems are progressively failing (no AC, power windows don't work, you have to really jam the key around to get it to unlock, it doesn't start a lot so I always have to have a can of ether on hand...etc). Nobody looks at that and says "wow that guy is obsessed with his appearance".

e: also pepperoni is the best pizza topping ever made. Off of pizza it's not that great, but overall I think you are wrong on that.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
More cuz im frustrated but doubling down: changing behaviors, hiding things or ideas because elders dont agree with them is dumb as hell. For example hiding out of wedlock babies, living situations, job choices, etc from old conservative folk is dumb and cowardly. They can, and should, be told to shut the hell up if it isnt their business whether they are 35 or 95, and deal with it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

If you don't live on a farm where the cats are doing actual work and you let your cats outside unrestrained to wander the neighborhood, you're a piece of poo poo. It's always backed up by bullshit like "but he WANTS outside, i can't say no to my baby!". Trust me, keep him inside, he'll live. This goes double if you don't spay/neuter your pet.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Pick posted:

The same is entirely true of a dog or cat, though. I don't object to a ban per se, I object to the double standard where it's okay to have a Great Pyrenees crated in your 1br, but a possum is right out.

Well, I'm strongly in favor of greater owner and seller responsibility in raising and choosing certain dog breeds, though I don't know how it would be enforceable.

But for example in Switzerland it is punishable to only own one guinea pig / hamster, because they are social rodents. You can even rent hamsters as temporary companions for your pets if one of them dies and you can't get them a new companion right away.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Along those lines, I think it should be a jailable offense to own a Malamute or Husky dog in places where it's like 90+ degrees for six months straight.

I see these poor dogs huddled into a corner, trying to find a shady spot on concrete while panting frantically at 9am in the morning(it's already 80 degrees) while their shitbag owner is sitting in some air conditioned office.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Definitely. And I think the breeders who sell high maintenance dogs without vetting their new owners should be held equally responsible as the owners themselves.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Steven Universe is what the creators of Dragon Ball Z wish DBZ could have become, as SU contains more action, intrigue, character development and the lesson of the value of friendship in one season compared to DBZ's various seasons, spin offs, revival series, and mmo.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Steven Universe is what the creators of Dragon Ball Z wish DBZ could have become, as SU contains more action, intrigue, character development and the lesson of the value of friendship in one season compared to DBZ's various seasons, spin offs, revival series, and mmo.

Steven Universe fans are one step below bronies. DBZ is a garbage show for five year olds, so comparing your darling crap to it does you no favors.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I've seen a lot more people get frothingly mad at Steven Universe than annoying obnoxious Steven Universe fans, so it's probably a cool show by me

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Of the two obviously cynical cash grab intellectual properties , Cars is the superior series in comparison to Shrek.

AutumnDDP
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

Steven Universe fans are one step below bronies. DBZ is a garbage show for five year olds, so comparing your darling crap to it does you no favors.

Well I guess you posted in the right thread! (About Steven Universe. DBZ is honestly kindof dumb, but SU isn't.)

AutumnDDP has a new favorite as of 03:40 on Nov 27, 2016

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

The only good storyline from any Sonic medium (video games, cartoons, comics, christmas sweaters) is Sonic Underground.

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

The last two seasons have been about as bland as deep as an unsalted cracker.

With that said, it is vastly superior to the last two seasons of South Park.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Gravity Falls was perfect because they wrapped it up after the story was resolved. Steven Universe and Adventure Time, while I love them both and will still watch them, are stretching to find stuff to write about.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The pacing of Stephen universe is going to kill it if the creators aren't careful. It is cute, but it is not so good that it will withstand self-indulgently spinning its wheels.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

the Saint's Row series is overall more fun then the GTA series has ever been.

AutumnDDP
Oct 23, 2016

Grimey Drawer
^^^ I can agree with this. The show [SU] is really cute and progressive, but it does feel like it has been dragging a little lately. I hope they end the show on a good note instead of milking it too long.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The only good storyline from any Sonic medium (video games, cartoons, comics, christmas sweaters) is Sonic Underground.

I didnt' know Sonic games had a story or that anyone gave a poo poo about them

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Green Mario is better than Mario at being Mario.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

AutumnDDP posted:

About Steven Universe. DBZ is honestly kindof dumb, but SU isn't.
We can close the thread now

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

Rick and Morty is Dan Harmon trying desperately to create a series as edgy as Family Guy, but fails.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

the Saint's Row series is overall more fun then the GTA series has ever been.

If this is an unpopular opinion, it shouldn't be. GTA is always getting in its own way, showing you fun toys and then arbitrarily withholding them from you. Giving you cool cars and then making you choose between having them and using them. Encouraging you to get into all-out gunfights and then making you play them slowly and methodically for fear of the tedium of having to redo a bunch of stuff. Creating a setting full of jokes and then giving you a protagonist without a sense of humour. Making cool things to interact with and forcing you to do them rather than letting you have fun on your own terms. GTA games always seem like a lot of fun until you actually play them.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Tiggum posted:

If this is an unpopular opinion, it shouldn't be. GTA is always getting in its own way, showing you fun toys and then arbitrarily withholding them from you. Giving you cool cars and then making you choose between having them and using them. Encouraging you to get into all-out gunfights and then making you play them slowly and methodically for fear of the tedium of having to redo a bunch of stuff. Creating a setting full of jokes and then giving you a protagonist without a sense of humour. Making cool things to interact with and forcing you to do them rather than letting you have fun on your own terms. GTA games always seem like a lot of fun until you actually play them.

I always get the feeling with GTA games that the designers spend years and years putting all this stuff into the game, and then about a week before release someone says "so, how does the player interact with all this?" and there's lots of awkward glances and shuffling feet as people realise they never quite got around to that bit.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Terrible movies are typically more entertaining that good movies. Low-budget, awful science fiction or horror movies are more fun to watch than current high-budget blockbusters.

Almost all movies that come out these days are bland rehashes of old ideas that follow a set formula and rely on CGI and flashy visuals to wow audiences. Few of them are ever memorable. That or blatant nostalgia cash ins. I get that they make money but they're always dreadful.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Terrible movies are typically more entertaining that good movies. Low-budget, awful science fiction or horror movies are more fun to watch than current high-budget blockbusters.

Almost all movies that come out these days have ever come out are bland rehashes of old ideas that follow a set formula and rely on CGI and flashy visuals to wow audiences. Few of them are ever memorable. That or blatant nostalgia cash ins. I get that they make money but they're always dreadful.

Fixed to be true of all media at all times. There's never been a period where all films or books or whatever were brilliant individual works of art, after which we've lived in a dark age of remakes and rehashes. For as long as there's been mass media there's been cheap crap and barely-concealed remakes in vast quantities. Genre fiction pretty much exists because there's a huge market for books which hit the same story beats over and over with interchangeable archetypes substituting for characters, and that was just as true of Victorian penny dreadfuls as it is for modern Marvel films.

e: "I want to watch a crap film to laugh at it because that's more entertaining" is definitely a post-irony world thing, though.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.

In order to enjoy Adventure Time, you need to have an abject and complete lack of imagination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

At least we can all agree that GTA: San Andreas had the best radio stations and music.