Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

You Are A Elf posted:

At least we can all agree that GTA: San Andreas had the best radio stations and music.

K-ROSE is the most fun to listen to and there hasn't been a station that entertaining since.

I'd go even further and say it is by far the best game overall out of all in the series. I bought GTA 4 and 5 and have about 2 hours played on each because I just can't get into them, whereas I have close to 1000 on san andreas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

You Are A Elf posted:

At least we can all agree that GTA: San Andreas had the best radio stations and music.

Actually it's The Saboteur.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Obama was too naive to become president at that time.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

You Are A Elf posted:

At least we can all agree that GTA: San AndreasVice City had the best radio stations and music.

agreed

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

K-ROSE is the most fun to listen to and there hasn't been a station that entertaining since.

I'd go even further and say it is by far the best game overall out of all in the series. I bought GTA 4 and 5 and have about 2 hours played on each because I just can't get into them, whereas I have close to 1000 on san andreas.

I've never cared for Liberty City in any way, shape, or form, so GTA III, Liberty City Stories, and IV just don't aren't any fun. Oh boy, another NYC-like setting. How *yawns while saying this* exciiitiiing :rolleyes: Saint Mark's Bistro mission in San Andreas was pretty dope, though.

Nothing beat K-ROSE or K-DST out in the desert. Learning to fly at the Boneyard while listening to Creedence Clearwater Revival or Merle Haggard as the sun rose over the desert horizon was something amazing.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Cartoons and video games are for children.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

You Are A Elf posted:

Related to this, but I wish games would stop using licensed music and actually put some of their monumental budget set aside for licensing to actually create or even pay dudes to create in world music for the games.

Using licensed music, for the most part, is a cheap way of creating an emotional connection to the game world based on people's attachment to the music.

The GTA games were the best when they actually had dudes creating media for their own alternate world, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi6x3MCjBaQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYy69qOJWoM

I'd much rather they did stuff like this again as opposed to selling my record collection back to me.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
San Andreas is definitely the high point of the series. The newer games seem... pointless? I dunno, they lack the spirit that made SA awesome.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
The 'thing missing' is that you're not 15 years old any more.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Terrible movies are typically more entertaining that good movies. Low-budget, awful science fiction or horror movies are more fun to watch than current high-budget blockbusters.

Almost all movies that come out these days are bland rehashes of old ideas that follow a set formula and rely on CGI and flashy visuals to wow audiences. Few of them are ever memorable. That or blatant nostalgia cash ins. I get that they make money but they're always dreadful.

I don't think this is really an unpopular opinon, per se. There are lots of people who love the campy, terrible B-movies and have a lot of fun watching them with a lot of other people.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

The 'thing missing' is that you're not 15 years old any more.

Nah.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Rush Limbo posted:

Using licensed music, for the most part, is a cheap way of creating an emotional connection to the game world based on people's attachment to the music.

Or, you know, setting the mood, environment, and era of the game. But seriously, that's exactly the purpose of using licensed music, especially when using it in a period piece. I don't find it cheap at all.

Syllables
Jul 2, 2011

XOF XOF XOF

:fag:
Vice City had the Best Soundtrack, and GTAIV's soundtrack was kinda lame

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

bobjr posted:

I'd say this is inaccurate for me just because I've seen people treat kids differently depending on if it's their own or otherwise. If someone treats kids like poo poo then they're probably not good people in other ways but if someone avoids or ignores a kid I don't see it as a bad thing, when I've seen people who dote on kids act horribly otherwise. How they treat service/retail members or animals works better for me.

Yeah; in public areas there are often very good reason for a parent to ignore a child who is throwing a fit or acting inappropriately. Giving young children attention when they behave like that just teaches them that behaving that way is effective.

But yeah, there's never an excuse for a parent to either hit or insult their child, much less in public. It's just that I've seen people comment on parents being bad because they see them ignoring their children in public.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

You Are A Elf posted:

"Spit Game" by Pretty Ugly & Royce da 5'9" (GTA III) is my favorite song from the series, but Radio X is my favorite radio station. The Gen-X radio host parody was so spot on and hilarious.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The humour of South Park is completely embroiled in normalising xenophobic, alt-right and libertarian values. The fact it subsists nowadays as a beloved American television show tells you everything you need to know about the average American public.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I've never watched South Park, but this is the first time I've heard it described as hard right-wing propaganda.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The humour of South Park is completely embroiled in normalising xenophobic, alt-right and libertarian values. The fact it subsists nowadays as a beloved American television show tells you everything you need to know about the average American public.

Actually, the humor is in putting that poo poo in to the spotlight and making a caricature of it. At least it was while I was still watching. Dunno what it's like now.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You should provide some examples of the show supporting these values, because I think you're full of poo poo. Also, please provide a definition of "alt-right" beyond just "people to the right of me".

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Two seasons of Rick & Morty, from a storytelling standpoint and despite Dan Harmon's marketing of those skills, contain less nuance than a single episode of The Amazing World of Gumball.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer
I think that the last two Saints Row games were lackluster and dissapointing. I played SR1 and enjoyed it, and liked that SR2 was allowed to get a bit silly, a bit self-referential and understood that the main character, by the nature of the game itself, had to be an absolute psychotic loon. But at the same time SR2 was just teetering on that edge of the silly/serious divide that made it absolutely amazing for me. SR3 and 4 just went too far to the silly side, which I know a lot of people loved but I found to just be tedious.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

I've never watched South Park, but this is the first time I've heard it described as hard right-wing propaganda.

It's heavy-handed satire in a style that makes it (also) appealing to everyone it's satirizing. This isn't South Park's problem or even a modern one, it's been the same way with satire and stupid bigoted people for centuries if not millennia.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
What about Family Guy? That show does now just seem full of "ironic" racism.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Both are shows that ran out of original ideas years ago and only are still being made because they know people will keep watching it no matter how bad it is. The best shows know when to call it quits. In very rare cases shows can recover and continue to get better in later seasons (like supernatural in my opinion), but most of the time you get things like season 9-10 of Stargate SG-1 and every season starting with season 2 of The Walking Dead where they just keep digging and finding new ways to be bad until they get cancelled.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Walking Dead was never good though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The first episode was really good. Downhill from there.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It was good for as long as basic zombie costumes and stabbing people in the head can be engaging - about fifteen minutes.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

You Are A Elf posted:

Or, you know, setting the mood, environment, and era of the game. But seriously, that's exactly the purpose of using licensed music, especially when using it in a period piece. I don't find it cheap at all.

GTA isn't really a period piece, though. If we're to believe Rockstar and GTA itself, it isn't even set in this reality.

I remember being impressed the first time I played GTA4 for all of about 10 minutes until I was driving along and Back in the New York Groove came on the radio. That would be an appropriate and cool song, if New York existed in the GTA world. It was sort of at that point when I realised they really don't give a gently caress anymore.

You want to know how they could get talent throwing themselves at them to populate their world with original material? Tell people they can have their music/writing/other art project seen by millions of people all around the world. You'd get people willing to adopt any persona in game to have that opportunity.

I guess it is safer to use established stuff, though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rush Limbo posted:

GTA isn't really a period piece, though. If we're to believe Rockstar and GTA itself, it isn't even set in this reality.

Here's something that'll blow your mind: no work of fiction is set in this reality.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
Cheery Pepsi Max, despite having 0 calories, tastes exactly like regular Dr. Pepper; great

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Grandmother of Five posted:

Cheery Pepsi Max

At least it makes you happy, much like alcohol.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Hattie Masters posted:

I think that the last two Saints Row games were lackluster and dissapointing. I played SR1 and enjoyed it, and liked that SR2 was allowed to get a bit silly, a bit self-referential and understood that the main character, by the nature of the game itself, had to be an absolute psychotic loon. But at the same time SR2 was just teetering on that edge of the silly/serious divide that made it absolutely amazing for me. SR3 and 4 just went too far to the silly side, which I know a lot of people loved but I found to just be tedious.

I haven't played the original but I agree about 2 and 4. The Third is where it starts tipping a bit too far but is still absurdly fun. SR4 is just meh because you can immediately to everything and it's in a virtual world so the ridiculousness of your actions aren't as funny as they would be in a "real" setting.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Two seasons of Rick & Morty, from a storytelling standpoint and despite Dan Harmon's marketing of those skills, contain less nuance than a single episode of The Amazing World of Gumball.

I agree with this.

I think the entire "comedy by approaching an emotional issue in an unemotional way" genre is tired as hell, and is basically propaganda for autists.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
have we acknowledged yet that every "unpopular opinion" thread on the internet eventually crumbles into dog whistle racism

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Pick posted:

I agree with this.

I think the entire "comedy by approaching an emotional issue in an unemotional way" genre is tired as hell, and is basically propaganda for autists.

Can you provide an example of that?

PHUO: Voice mail is a cool and good way to convey information. If I leave you one, you should listen to it!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Here's my unpopular opinion: please stop using autism as an insult.

Oh wait, that's not an opinion.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I think requests are also allowed, friend.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

People in the first world are weird and incredibly wasteful around food. That piece of broccoli that fell on the countertop for two seconds is still okay to eat. You don't have to toss everything one minute past its sell-by date, which is just put there arbitrarily the by food companies to make you buy more of their poo poo anyway. If your apple is a little bruised on one side, just cut that part out and have the rest. Or you can probably just eat the bruised side too, it won't kill you. Cheap cuts of meat, liver et. al are all delicious when prepared in the right way and you don't have to eat Trump steaks every night. If you go out to a restaurant and can't finish the meal, get a box and take the goddamn thing home. Don't leave half of it out to rot because you're too lazy to put something in a microwave for three minutes. We live in a world with increasingly strained resources and the utter disrespect some people have for the abundance that surrounds their lives drives me crazy.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

People in the first world are weird and incredibly wasteful around food.

:same:

I think that's a pretty widely-known scientific fact though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

We live in a world with increasingly strained resources

Sure, but food isn't one of them. We make enough food to feed the entire world, the problem is logistics/capitalism.