Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I guess another way to put it (I WILL RUN THIS INTO THE GROUND I WILL DESTROY YOU ALL AHAHAHAAAAA) is:

To say you are entitled to an opinion imagines a state where you might not be. No such state exists. I can't actually stop you believing whatever dumb poo poo you believe. I can tell you you're wrong (and this leads to my other objection to the entitlement fallacy, see below) but I can't force you to change your mind.

The other side of that, of course, is that people mistake "entitlement" to "immunity to criticism", much the same way they often mistake free speech for that. No amount of entitlement to your opinion that 2 + 2 = 17 or that the first Star Wars movie is called anything but "Star Wars" will actually make it true.

Anyway, thank you for attending the 2020 Hugo Awards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

docbeard posted:

I guess another way to put it (I WILL RUN THIS INTO THE GROUND I WILL DESTROY YOU ALL AHAHAHAAAAA) is:

To say you are entitled to an opinion imagines a state where you might not be. No such state exists. I can't actually stop you believing whatever dumb poo poo you believe. I can tell you you're wrong (and this leads to my other objection to the entitlement fallacy, see below) but I can't force you to change your mind.

The other side of that, of course, is that people mistake "entitlement" to "immunity to criticism", much the same way they often mistake free speech for that. No amount of entitlement to your opinion that 2 + 2 = 17 or that the first Star Wars movie is called anything but "Star Wars" will actually make it true.

Anyway, thank you for attending the 2020 Hugo Awards.

thank you and please tell your dad MiB is one of my favorite movies

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Shibawanko posted:

i do that with a lot of youtube videos especially if they are explaining something or it's just a lecture or something. i can take in information way better if it's chop-chop instead of slow rear end, gulps-between-sentences professor style

This is probably actually a very popular opinion, but Google offering time stamps on instructional YouTube videos for “where this person finally gets to the point” is one of mankind’s greatest inventions.

Also probably a very popular opinion, but the cadence of most YouTube videos’ narration makes me want to tear my own ears off.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

hawowanlawow posted:

my bro have you seen RTX

The gently caress is an RTX?

(Seriouspost)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The gently caress is an RTX?

(Seriouspost)

RTX is the line of NVidia cards that support ray tracing and also an abbreviation people use for it. The RTX cards don’t just do ray tracing, though, they also support the DLSS stuff that’s goddamn insane in Death Stranding. Like, double your frame rate and make it look better insane.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Wait how can something look better and have a higher framerate?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gripweed posted:

Netflix is implementing a new feature that lets people watch shows faster, like make the show sped up so they can watch the show more quickly.
I've been doing that for years (because I use VLC to play videos and it's had that feature for a long time). I don't have time to watch all the stuff I want to even at double speed, but at least I can watch more of it that way. Most TV is too slow anyway. Especially modern dramas.

I listen to podcasts at 2.5x speed because using headphones and not having background music or sound effects makes it easier to understand what people are saying.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

I've been doing that for years (because I use VLC to play videos and it's had that feature for a long time). I don't have time to watch all the stuff I want to even at double speed, but at least I can watch more of it that way. Most TV is too slow anyway. Especially modern dramas.

I listen to podcasts at 2.5x speed because using headphones and not having background music or sound effects makes it easier to understand what people are saying.

Talk about unpopular opinion jeez

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I use the smart speed feature on overcast for podcasts just because a lot of them are poorly edited with a lot of dead time, but I would never use it for shows or movies

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Tiggum posted:

Why even watch the show, just read the summaries on Wikipedia.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Aramek posted:

Wait how can something look better and have a higher framerate?

It’s rendering at a lower resolution and then using machine learning stuff to upscale it. It used to give a performance boost but occasionally look kind of weird but what it does now is insane. If you look at some videos of it in Death Stranding it’s insane.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Rather than Netflix offering to watch shows at 1.5x or whatever, they could consider letting showrunners stop making shows that have literally nothing happening for 40 minutes before seeding a bingeworthy hook in the last ten minutes. Heres my PHUO - Netflix is actively loving with how we view TV and film and anything genuinely weird and interesting is being bred out of modern film and TV in favour of whatever satisfies viewer metrics.

Terrifyingly, Spotify seems to mean the same for pop music (by which I mean all genres of popular music).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Why even watch the show, just read the summaries on Wikipedia.
Because I'm still watching the show, just quicker. It's not in any way comparable to reading a plot summary. Once you get used to it you barely even notice.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

RTX is the line of NVidia cards that support ray tracing and also an abbreviation people use for it. The RTX cards don’t just do ray tracing, though, they also support the DLSS stuff that’s goddamn insane in Death Stranding. Like, double your frame rate and make it look better insane.

Oh I see. Where can I get one for my Sony Play Station IV home computer system?

e: Also as for Netflix, public broadcasting companies still exist around the world and they can do whatever they want so we'll always have good TV. And terrible TV.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Oh I see. Where can I get one for my Sony Play Station IV home computer system?

e: Also as for Netflix, public broadcasting companies still exist around the world and they can do whatever they want so we'll always have good TV. And terrible TV.

The PS5 will have AMD architecture which has it's own Ray-tracing solution but I don't know if they've come up with their own version of DLSS yet.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

christmas boots posted:

The PS5 will have AMD architecture which has it's own Ray-tracing solution but I don't know if they've come up with their own version of DLSS yet.

Maybe if they bother to release an actual Gran Turismo for it, I'll buy a PS Quadruple.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

windows vista was fine

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
That reminds me -- Windows Phone is awesome.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

YeahTubaMike posted:

That reminds me -- Windows Phone is awesome.

I had two of them and I really liked them. Not a lot of apps but the actual phone itself was great both times.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Maybe if they bother to release an actual Gran Turismo for it, I'll buy a PS Quadruple.

There's going to be a PS5 Gran Turismo but no PS4 one.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

There's going to be a PS5 Gran Turismo but no PS4 one.

Yeah lmao

but also boo hoo.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I had two of them and I really liked them. Not a lot of apps but the actual phone itself was great both times.

I also had two of them. I got an Android when I realized that apps were cool.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Galactus being vape instead of a bin-headed dude in a magnificent purple-and-blue mini-skirt is the worst cop-out in the history of cinema.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Galactus being vape instead of a bin-headed dude in a magnificent purple-and-blue mini-skirt is the worst cop-out in the history of cinema.

That pissed me off too.
There's a reason why the Fantastic Four movie sucked, and it's that.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
That time a Nakam agent poisoned hundreds of captured SS... was good. It was good to not give SS the rights they denied "untermensch"

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Rice crispy treats are an underrated desert. They're delicious as the basic treat, but you thrwo some peanut butter m&ms in there, and you can't beat it. You just can't.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Rice crispy treats are an underrated desert. They're delicious as the basic treat, but you thrwo some peanut butter m&ms in there, and you can't beat it. You just can't.

What if you then iced the rice crispy treats with chocolate frosting?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Solice Kirsk posted:

I've never tried that, but my gut instinct says it would be too much, it would make the treat too heavy.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Gripweed posted:

I've never tried that, but my gut instinct says it would be too much, it would make the treat too heavy.

What about marshmallow fluff what does your gut tell you then

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Solice Kirsk posted:

The hubris of man

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Magic is awesome but magicians are just the worst. I love to see something that looks impossible happen right in front of my eyes, but I don't think I've ever seen a magician who seems like a person I could stand to have even a five minute conversation with. I watch Penn & Teller: Fool Us by fast forwarding through literally everything that isn't a magic trick. It's completely unwatchable otherwise.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Manager Hoyden posted:

What about marshmallow fluff what does your gut tell you then

the same

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Magic is awesome but magicians are just the worst. I love to see something that looks impossible happen right in front of my eyes, but I don't think I've ever seen a magician who seems like a person I could stand to have even a five minute conversation with. I watch Penn & Teller: Fool Us by fast forwarding through literally everything that isn't a magic trick. It's completely unwatchable otherwise.

:hai:

I am a small child when it comes to magic tricks, I will shamelessly gaze in wondrous joy at each new trick.

But every single magician needs a fuckin’ swirlie, and they have since David Blaine.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Tiggum posted:

Most people who entertain us are insufferable shitstains on a personal level. It's okay, I think that's just the way the world is and has been forever. Like I'm pretty sure the first hunter gatherer to jokingly hide a shiny rock probably drove a gtr.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Captain Monkey posted:

But every single magician needs a fuckin’ swirlie, and they have since David Blaine.

I used to (as a young child) be fairly good at simple stage magic and can confirm this.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Hugh Jackman is not a good actor

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

shabby chic is ugly and tacky

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

hawowanlawow posted:

shabby chic is ugly and tacky

This hasn't been an unpopular opinion since 2011.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Captain Monkey posted:

:hai:

I am a small child when it comes to magic tricks, I will shamelessly gaze in wondrous joy at each new trick.

More like David Copperfield at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

This is not an unpopular opinion. This is actually a very common opinion, obviously. But among people who have an opinion about anthologies, it's unpopular so I'm putting it in this thread.

Anthology movies aren't as good as regular movies. And people don't like them as much as regular movies. That's why studios don't make many of them. It's not because studios are mean and hate horror fans and refuse to make anthology movies out of pure spite. It's because of course they aren't going to make movies that by their very nature aren't as good or as appealing as regular movies.