Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Russell Crowe wasn't as bad a singer in Les Mis as everyone said he was. There were one or two places where he tried to hit a high note and failed, but the rest of his singing wasn't that bad.

It's possible to dislike Brie Larsen without being an MRA gamer or rightwing shithead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Ego-bot posted:

Russell Crowe wasn't as bad a singer in Les Mis as everyone said he was. There were one or two places where he tried to hit a high note and failed, but the rest of his singing wasn't that bad.

It's possible to dislike Brie Larsen without being an MRA gamer or rightwing shithead.

Being in Scott pilgrim is enough

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
That movie was really fun though?

I mean, even though they're Canadian.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

there's no such thing as a "scary movie", movies aren't ever scary. there are movies which have a lot of gore and suffering but those are more offputting and disgusting than scary. i especially dont get it if its a monster or something, why do you get scared by a monster? my sister in law will just jump out of her seat and cover her head and i dont get it, its just a movie. i can enjoy a scary movie for the story or something but i never get scared and i dont get why you would. whenever my sister in law gets freaked out by a movie she looks like those people who watched the first movie by the lumiere brothers and who thought the train would burst through the screen or something

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i guess if its something realistic like a movie about someone dying of cancer or something, thats scary, but nothing supernatural or contrived ever seems scary to me because its just not plausible

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

there's no such thing as a "scary movie", movies aren't ever scary. there are movies which have a lot of gore and suffering but those are more offputting and disgusting than scary. i especially dont get it if its a monster or something, why do you get scared by a monster? my sister in law will just jump out of her seat and cover her head and i dont get it, its just a movie. i can enjoy a scary movie for the story or something but i never get scared and i dont get why you would. whenever my sister in law gets freaked out by a movie she looks like those people who watched the first movie by the lumiere brothers and who thought the train would burst through the screen or something

OK we get it you're 11 and not afraid of anything.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Shibawanko posted:

There have been only two moments in horror movies that genuinely scared me recently.

In The Babadook when the mother sees herself in the window while watching a news broadcast, and in The VVitch when the girl is playing peekaboo with the baby and all of a sudden the baby is gone.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Ego-bot posted:

I'm sure it's possible but they sure are highly correlated.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Shibawanko posted:

It's also impossible for a movie to be sad. If something bad is happening to the characters then I feel nothing because I know that they're not real. Whenever I see someone crying because of a movie I spit on them to demonstrate my contempt for their naivety.

And comedies? Not funny. That situation that you find so humorous? It never happened. Those people aren't real. And they wouldn't have said those things in real life if they were. I would call it laughably implausible, but of course that would imply that it's funny, which it isn't.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Tiggum posted:

It's also impossible for a movie to be sad. If something bad is happening to the characters then I feel nothing because I know that they're not real. Whenever I see someone crying because of a movie I spit on them to demonstrate my contempt for their naivety.

And comedies? Not funny. That situation that you find so humorous? It never happened. Those people aren't real. And they wouldn't have said those things in real life if they were. I would call it laughably implausible, but of course that would imply that it's funny, which it isn't.

Anyone else really sick of these type of one-up posts? They seem to have got worse as corona-craziness kicks in

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Tiggum posted:

And don’t even get me started on science-fiction!

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

3D Megadoodoo posted:

OK we get it you're 11 and not afraid of anything.

im afraid of heights like a motherfucker but ghosts and stuff? no thats not scary. by extension i also dont get people who take hp lovecraft seriously as a scary writer. octopus monsters are not scary whatsoever and frankly just make me hungry

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The best horror game is Portal.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The best horror game is Portal.

Nah, it’s Subnautica.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Shibawanko posted:

im afraid of heights like a motherfucker but ghosts and stuff? no thats not scary. by extension i also dont get people who take hp lovecraft seriously as a scary writer. octopus monsters are not scary whatsoever and frankly just make me hungry

Do you experience emotional detachment from movies in other ways? E.g. do you not get anxious or tense when watching a thriller?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Anyone else really sick of these type of one-up posts? They seem to have got worse as corona-craziness kicks in

Yeah honestly I don't think anybody should respond to anything. Let every post stand by itself and nobody quote it or comment on it or anything.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I don't tip my mohel. That's how I afford all the beans I put in my chili.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Gripweed posted:

Yeah honestly I don't think anybody should respond to anything. Let every post stand by itself and nobody quote it or comment on it or anything.

You know what I mean, theres responding to posts normally and theres this "well actually I'm going to +1 everything you said for the sake of humour" and its happening so much lately that its just a bit tiresome

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

JollyBoyJohn posted:

You know what I mean, theres responding to posts normally and theres this "well actually I'm going to +1 everything you said for the sake of humour" and its happening so much lately that its just a bit tiresome

When it happens to other people's posts it's just gentle goonish mockery and it's fine. When it happens to my posts it's because people want to dismiss my unpopular opinions because they are afraid that I might be right.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Gripweed posted:

When it happens to other people's posts it's just gentle goonish mockery and it's fine. When it happens to my posts it's because people want to dismiss my unpopular opinions because they are afraid that I might be right.

I mean Shibwanko was right, I don't think I've found a movie SCARY since the hell dogs in Ghostbusters 1 or Gmork in the Never Ending Story but then I don't watch a lot of movies because they all bore me 20 minutes in

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I mean Shibwanko was right, I don't think I've found a movie SCARY since the hell dogs in Ghostbusters 1 or Gmork in the Never Ending Story but then I don't watch a lot of movies because they all bore me 20 minutes in

lol

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Imagine finding out you have a disorder from the unpopular opinions pyf thread.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Unpopular opinion: Things which I once enjoyed no longer give me pleasure.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Gripweed posted:

Unpopular opinion: Things which I once enjoyed no longer give me pleasure.

i don't think thats unpopular, its just what happens as you get older

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

They all bore me 10 minutes in.

:c00lbert:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i don't think thats unpopular, its just what happens as you get older

Yeah, like how when you get older you sleep way too much or nowhere near enough

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Hell sometimes I get bored just thinking about a movie!!!

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Captain Monkey posted:

They all bore me 10 minutes in.

:c00lbert:

gently caress, you've turned the knife back on me and stabbed me right in my femoral artery

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

silence_kit posted:

Do you experience emotional detachment from movies in other ways? E.g. do you not get anxious or tense when watching a thriller?

i enjoy movies but fear isn't really something that can come from a screen for me. i can identify with a character just fine or if its a historical movie i imagine what it must have been like but being actually scared, as in an immediate sort of fear, no i dont get that, there's always just a bit too much distance for that

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Shibawanko posted:

i enjoy movies but fear isn't really something that can come from a screen for me. i can identify with a character just fine or if its a historical movie i imagine what it must have been like but being actually scared, as in an immediate sort of fear, no i dont get that, there's always just a bit too much distance for that

Sit closer to the screen.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

There's no such thing as a place being "haunted"; it's all psychology. If you go into a building that's supposedly "haunted", your mind will make up sights/sounds to confirm it. I'd bet that someone who stayed in a place they were unaware was "haunted" wouldn't hear or see anything, because ghosts don't exist.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

There's no such thing as a place being "haunted"; it's all psychology. If you go into a building that's supposedly "haunted", your mind will make up sights/sounds to confirm it. I'd bet that someone who stayed in a place they were unaware was "haunted" wouldn't hear or see anything, because ghosts don't exist.

So you’re saying some dude a thousand years ago was just like “hey ghosts exist” and the whole loving world up to and including today has just gone along with it?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

oldpainless posted:

So you’re saying some dude a thousand years ago was just like “hey ghosts exist” and the whole loving world up to and including today has just gone along with it?

No, I think that a lot of supposedly "supernatural" stuff is a psychological placebo. You believe that ghosts exist so your mind makes things up to confirm it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Personally I don’t understand why ghosts gently caress with the living. Because if they kill you you’re just going to come back as an angry ghost neighbor and I can’t see how that’s helping them at all.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

ghosts don't exist.
Is this really an unpopular opinion?

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.

Tiggum posted:

Is this really an unpopular opinion?

You’d be unpleasantly surprised.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

christmas boots posted:

Personally I don’t understand why ghosts gently caress with the living. Because if they kill you you’re just going to come back as an angry ghost neighbor and I can’t see how that’s helping them at all.

I can't wait to be a ghost so I can hide people's keys and open and close doors while they're trying to fall asleep. Becoming an Eternal rear end in a top hat is basically the only thing I look forward to anymore.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

I can't wait to be a ghost so I can hide people's keys and open and close doors while they're trying to fall asleep. Becoming an Eternal rear end in a top hat is basically the only thing I look forward to anymore.

Why wait? You can do that right now.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Shibawanko posted:

i guess if its something realistic like a movie about someone dying of cancer or something, thats scary, but nothing supernatural or contrived ever seems scary to me because its just not plausible

I think they can be scary but only on that sort of principle.

The Fly isn't scary because flyman, it's scary because the flyman is dying and he's afraid and someday that will likely be you, with cancer etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

No, I think that a lot of supposedly "supernatural" stuff is a psychological placebo. You believe that ghosts exist so your mind makes things up to confirm it.

I understand what you're trying to say, and I agree with you.