Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The only good chocolate is the stuff on a butterfinger bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Oh wait I've complained about that already, nevermind.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I hate "Supes" as a slang word for superheroes. It sounds really stupid. Supers, heroes, capes, there are much better options. Supes sounds stupid.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Gripweed posted:

I hate "Supes" as a slang word for superheroes. It sounds really stupid. Supers, heroes, capes, there are much better options. Supes sounds stupid.

I thought "Supes" was specifically a nickname for Superman? We could call them "Capers" but that would exclude guys like Flash and Green Arrow who just do the Spandex. Heroes works but then what would we call Firepeople and First Responders?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

do-gooders

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The (I'm guessing Anglo) habit of putting a new " in front of every passage included in a single quote block is stupid and confusing. You put one " at the beginning of a quote and one at the end. Whitespace doesn't matter (nor does the shape of the "s, that's just graphic design).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

jojoinnit posted:

I thought "Supes" was specifically a nickname for Superman? We could call them "Capers" but that would exclude guys like Flash and Green Arrow who just do the Spandex. Heroes works but then what would we call Firepeople and First Responders?

They use "supes" on The Boys, but the people saying it would never consider them heroes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

jojoinnit posted:

They use it in The Boys and I'm pretty sure I've heard it somewhere else too. I know capes wouldn't be accurate but it's short and dismissive, and in DC and The Boys the big superheores wear capes so I think it would work as an in-universe term. And in a world with superheroes the connotation of the word heroes would be different. You wouldn't call first responders heroes because it would imply a lower status to superheroes, it would be a backhanded compliment at best.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

They use "supes" on The Boys, but the people saying it would never consider them heroes.

Is it because The Boys isn't by either Marvel or DC, who literally jointly own the word "superhero"?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Is it because The Boys isn't by either Marvel or DC, who literally jointly own the word "superhero"?

That is literally not true.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DC and Marvel jointly have a trademark on Superhero/Super Hero.

They seemingly only use it to oppose other trademarks including that term though.

I think Ennis just wanted The Boys to have its own term in universe. The comic actually started at DC originally.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gripweed posted:

That is literally not true.

Well then it is dumb.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

They use the word superhero on The Boys though

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

if you work somewhere you should show good manners. that doesnt mean you need to put up with anything or ignore insults but just speaking to people in a polite way is basic courtesy and not anything antiquated or "boomer" or whatever. i especially dont like it if it's some big company's customer service department and they use informal forms of address like they're my friend or something

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I don't like when people act really put out when they have to do their job. Like I just want to order a whatachicken please don't roll your eyes and act like I'm pulling you away from important business.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Manager Hoyden posted:

I don't like when people act really put out when they have to do their job. Like I just want to order a whatachicken please don't roll your eyes and act like I'm pulling you away from important business.

gently caress your whatachicken though. Make it yourself you piece of poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9PSg0sQyfs&t=6s

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 15:46 on Sep 14, 2020

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Shibawanko posted:

if you work somewhere you should show good manners. that doesnt mean you need to put up with anything or ignore insults but just speaking to people in a polite way is basic courtesy and not anything antiquated or "boomer" or whatever. i especially dont like it if it's some big company's customer service department and they use informal forms of address like they're my friend or something

I dont think this is particularly unreasonable, but I find being called "Sir" really phoney and unctious. I'm fine with my first name, I'm not your "better" and it isnt the 50s. I've known people who have fallen into trouble by accidently misgendering people with Sir/Ma'am as well and that's just a bad experience for all involved.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

that's why you need to use the classic Texan "yessir." it's technically calling someone sir but also just a thing people say to everyone

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Disco Pope posted:

I dont think this is particularly unreasonable, but I find being called "Sir" really phoney and unctious. I'm fine with my first name, I'm not your "better" and it isnt the 50s. I've known people who have fallen into trouble by accidently misgendering people with Sir/Ma'am as well and that's just a bad experience for all involved.

in my language there's a formal and informal form of "you" and it always kind of ticks me off when customer service uses the informal form for no reason, it's not really used for "better" or "lesser", just to avoid false familiarity. companies love using false familiarity with customers

i don't mind if it's just a regular person using the informal of course although it does kind of weirds me out when the kids i teach use it on me, again because it's just a bit too familiar for the situation

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Disco Pope posted:

A pizza delivery guy called me "boss" the other day and I did not like it at all.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I've started using "folks" in place of stuff like "ladies and gentlemen", so that's been nice.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Shibawanko posted:

in my language there's a formal and informal form of "you" and it always kind of ticks me off when customer service uses the informal form for no reason, it's not really used for "better" or "lesser", just to avoid false familiarity. companies love using false familiarity with customers

i don't mind if it's just a regular person using the informal of course although it does kind of weirds me out when the kids i teach use it on me, again because it's just a bit too familiar for the situation

Apologies, I was assuming we were speaking about English. I'm not a fan of companies taking a familiar, "matey" register with me, but that tends to manifest itself more in letters and e-mails. I like my capitalism like I like my ice-pops; cold and hard.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Josef bugman posted:

I've started using "folks" in place of stuff like "ladies and gentlemen", so that's been nice.

Are you a circus ring announcer?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Tiggum posted:

A pizza delivery guy called me "boss" the other day and I did not like it at all.

Here's your pizza, captain.

Disco Pope posted:

Apologies, I was assuming we were speaking about English. I'm not a fan of companies taking a familiar, "matey" register with me, but that tends to manifest itself more in letters and e-mails. I like my capitalism like I like my ice-pops; cold and hard.

Yarr! Thank ye fer yer feedback! We've opened a ticket fer ye 'n will do our best t' resolve this issue promptly. Ye should expect t' hear back from us in about 1-2 business days.

christmas boots has a new favorite as of 19:17 on Sep 14, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

Boss, buddy, and pal piss me right off. It feels like something you'd say to a small child.

Also, abolish "vous" and all equivalents except for plurals, imo. That goes for the languages with separate plural and formal forms too.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

oldpainless posted:

Are you a circus ring announcer?

I do announcements on a tannoy sometimes, does that count?

"Pal" always has a slight ring of a threat about it. But that is only because the only time I get called it was when I was in Scotland and a drunk lad was trying to accost some people I was walking with.

Josef bugman has a new favorite as of 20:17 on Sep 14, 2020

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Boss, buddy, and pal piss me right off. It feels like something you'd say to a small child.

Also, abolish "vous" and all equivalents except for plurals, imo. That goes for the languages with separate plural and formal forms too.

why? i like vous, as long as it's just mutual among strangers

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Every time I see someone use those weird political abbreviations/contractions I feel a massive amount of secondhand embarrassment. Like "proglib" or "tradcath". I know it was a twitter garbagebaby thing for a while but now it's slipping into actual (bad) articles from reputable sources.

This is very stupid and I wish it would stop.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Manager Hoyden posted:

This is very stupid and I wish it would stop.

Check out the series of posts old yeller made in the Chapo Trap House thread. His parody captures almost everything that I find irritating about how goons post about politics.

I don't know where they learned how to post like this (Twitter? the Chapo Trap House podcast?). I wish this style of posting would go away.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3783133&userid=213963

silence_kit has a new favorite as of 22:45 on Sep 14, 2020

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

yeah i hate that poo poo too. "cool and good" too

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

im not a fan of "poc" or "woc" either because they both sound like twitter words and are phonetically unattractive

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

silence_kit posted:

Check out the series of posts old yeller made in the Chapo Trap House thread. His parody captures almost everything that I find irritating about how goons post about politics.

I don't know where they learned how to post like this (Twitter? the Chapo Trap House podcast?). I wish this style of posting would go away.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3783133&userid=213963

They probated him because his his mockery cut too close to home. This is Donald Pentium all over again.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yea I've seen some posts regurgitated word for word like half a dozen times

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Shibawanko posted:

yeah i hate that poo poo too. "cool and good" too

Cool and good drives me nuts in a way that’s hard to articulate.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Cool and good drives me nuts in a way that’s hard to articulate.

The worst part is that a lot of the time the things they're talking about aren't cool or good.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Gripweed posted:

The worst part is that a lot of the time the things they're talking about aren't cool or good.

It's a linguistic catch 22 because either the person is using the phrase ironically or they are using it earnestly BUT any type who would use it at all has no compass on what is in fact cool or good.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
It bugs me in the same way a goon will declare a game or movie to be bad or trash, but not actually expand on why it is.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i think people tend to forget that this was a poison womb far right libertarian forum not long ago and when people suddenly turned "leftist" most of them forgot to shave the goatee so to speak and kept the same personality

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

sending people into space is pretty much useless and the chance of finding alien life (including on venus) is pretty much zero. almost nothing can be materially gained from space except scientific knowledge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The precious metals and phosphorus (seriously we are going to run out of it and then starve) in the asteroid belt isn't going to mine itself if we don't start making space colones to force migrate poor people to.