Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Why don't Marsonauts or whatever just bring the oxygen with them? It doesn't weigh anything, so just stuff like a planet's worth in a big balloon or something and pop it when you get to Mars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Solice Kirsk posted:

Why don't Marsonauts or whatever just bring the oxygen with them? It doesn't weigh anything, so just stuff like a planet's worth in a big balloon or something and pop it when you get to Mars.

It takes months to get to Mars. How long do you think that balloon would stay tied on to the back of the spaceship before coming loose?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

christmas boots posted:

Necessity is the mother of invention.

Elon Musk is the father.

Where's Grimes in all this?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I want to live in a gungan city style dome in the abyss of the sea, far from the cruel rays of the sun and surrounded by way cooler aliens than Mars will ever have

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I chose the impossible

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

christmas boots posted:

Necessity is the mother of invention.

Elon Musk is the father.

Nah. It's Frank Zappa.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Gripweed posted:

It takes months to get to Mars. How long do you think that balloon would stay tied on to the back of the spaceship before coming loose?

Obviously they'll double knot it. :rolleyes:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Shibawanko posted:

theres nothing to be gained

There can be incentives. Like Musk will give your family a bag of emeralds a month as long as you carry out your Marsly duties with honor. Your name will be mentioned in his next tweet about dogecoin as one of the heroes that made it all possible.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Nah. It's Frank Zappa.

Only if you’re taking about the moon.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Der Kyhe posted:

creating a some sort of atmosphere.

:tutbutt::gas:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Britain's UN Security Council seat should be ceded to India.

As follows:
1. Britain is no longer a global power of note and will continue to decline.
2. With precedence set by the USSR ceding its seat to Russia, the strongest successor state of the 1945 British Empire is undoubtedly India
3. The only actual good thing the Security Council does is let the large imperialist countries veto each other from using the UN as overt tools of said imperialism. In this regard India is a far better voice than essentially giving the US 2 seats.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 13:03 on Feb 20, 2021

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Pakistan prolly wouldn't appreciate that

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It would also hurt china's feelings

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Also if you think India would be an imotive meant you obviously haven’t been following their politics. Modhi is an authoritarian hyper nationalist shitstain.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I said they would be a geopolitical counterweight to the others, not that Modhi is good

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
There’s way better choices for that than India, though. poo poo, Australia would be better. Putting India on the security council would be like saying your box full of oily rags is a great place to store your matches and old dynamite.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

What's so great about India anyway. Give it to the EU parliament.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

nuclear proliferation has pretty much hosed the idea of changing the security council at all

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
The Indian people I have known who have immigrated to America really like to trash the Indian government. Now to be fair, there is an obvious selection bias there, and complaining about the government is a pastime for everyone from all over the world.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Does someone here know or know how to explain what the farmers strikes in India at the moment are really about? I know the basics like the government used to buy grain at fixed prices as a form of welfare and now they want to modernize and the farmers don't like it. What is good or bad in this case though, thanks Unpopular thread in advance.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Britain's UN Security Council seat should be ceded to India.

:wrong:

It should go to Nigeria.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The UN is a pointless organization and it doesn't matter who is on it. Scrap it and replace it with a one world government.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

It should go to Nigeria.

I would prefer that over India by a wide margin. With a UN infrastructure program run by a council of African countries.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I mean if the UN security council is supposed to be able to uphold it's prime directive then it need to be able to project power, and currently neither India nor Nigeria can do that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The security council is unofficially the cool kids’ canned sunshine club.

So maybe South Africa can get a spot on it since they had nuclear weapons at one time.

Or Israel or North Korea :unsmigghh:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Platystemon posted:

It should go to Nigeria.

:hmmyes:

Gaius Marius posted:

I mean if the UN security council is supposed to be able to uphold it's prime directive then it need to be able to project power, and currently neither India nor Nigeria can do that.

This is also true of modern Britain. France is the only european country that does US style power projection.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

:hmmyes:

This is also true of modern Britain. France is the only European country that does US style power projection.

This is quite much true also towards modern Russia. They have that one burned-out aircraft carrier they can tow to sink slowly anywhere around the world, but actually going meaningfully anywhere that isn't immediate neighbor to a friendly territory is a problem for them.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They also border a dozen countries though, and have the largest nuclear stockpile.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

wavy lays > ruffles

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The least believable part of any given conspiracy theory is the conspiracy. I have never seen any evidence that any two given people are capable of working together for long enough to accomplish anything nefarious, or at all.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

hawowanlawow posted:

wavy lays > ruffles

100% accurate.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

hawowanlawow posted:

wavy lays > ruffles

It’s not even close. The texture of the lays is so much better.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Baked lays > regular lays

PC brand potato chips > name brands

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Taffel Raffel was the superior thing but then they changed the recipe in the 90s.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Utz potato chips are the superior potato chips though.

Also their pretzels.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

docbeard posted:

The least believable part of any given conspiracy theory is the conspiracy. I have never seen any evidence that any two given people are capable of working together for long enough to accomplish anything nefarious, or at all.

Not a conspiracy theorist, but there are a lot of completely true long term schemes that turned out to be true.

Conspiracy theories have a little bit of a selection bias. The ones that are ridiculous are easy to spot, but when one turns out to be true the natural reaction is to pivot from "that's nuts" to "oh yeah that's completely obvious".

Like if you were a hermit in the fifties yelling to the crowds about how the government is tracking and spying on university professors to suppress their ideas, maaaaan, you would be called a looney. Or if you said in the 80s that there is a huge government robot who listens to your calls, or you said in the 90s that your email was being tracked, or you said in the 60s that the government is staging fake attacks, or you said in the 40s that the government is making southern communities into medical experiments, or, or, or.

They seem obvious in retrospect, but crazy at the time. And twenty years from now there will be a few things that sounded crazy at the time.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Zapps voodoo and cajun gator taters are the goat for chips

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Zapps voodoo and cajun gator taters are the goat for chips

Voodoo, sweet creole onion, and spicy crawfish.

Yngwie Mangosteen has a new favorite as of 17:46 on Feb 24, 2021

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Also their pretzels.

A FINN FALLS THROUGH THE TURKU SEWERS. HE GRABS THE CLOSEST REINDEER BY THE SHOULDERS AND SHOUTS "KUULE OLEK SÄÄ MAISTANU JUUSTONAKSUI?!?!?"

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Monkey posted:

Voodoo, sweet cajun onion, and spicy crawfish.

I can't get the onion or crawfish flavors here and it kills me. Even the pickle flavor is a crapshoot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Also their pretzels.

Zapp's are probably the best regional potato chips I've had. In terms of name brands the old dutch box with the two silver bags inside are the best chips you can buy. Cape cod is overrated but have the best sea salt and vinegar chips which are the best flavor.

Flat chips are superior to any ruffled chip. Ruffled chips are for people who want to dip their chip which implies inferior flavor.

Baked chips can be good but baked lays taste too much like packing chips