Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

PHOU: An argument about tattoos would be very interesting in 1991 or earlier but tattoos are super common and super boring so any argument that comes from them is even more boring

That's fair, I'm dropping it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

silence_kit posted:

I wouldn’t be so sure of that. Left wing people on the coasts can be extremely classist. There is a lot of truth to the ‘California Liberal’ archetype.

Well yeah, it's bad to be racist and sexist

So we gotta be extra classist and ableist to make up for it.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

why not just judge something on its merits without using pseud terms like "classist"

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
NVM

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Tattoos are fine IMO but why are so many designs just so ugly? If I ever got anything it would be sweet geometric patterns, but then I would be the weirdo because no one actually does that...

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Strategic Tea posted:

Tattoos are fine IMO but why are so many designs just so ugly? If I ever got anything it would be sweet geometric patterns, but then I would be the weirdo because no one actually does that...

Because people have different aesthetics than you

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Strategic Tea posted:

Uh geometric tattoos are hugely popular and there are dozens of artists who do amazing poo poo and it's very common to see people with full geometric sleeves or back pieces. Here are some geometric artists I follow on instagram.

Also the reason so many designs are ugly is the same reason 99% of art is ugly - it takes a really long time and determination to get good at art, and so for every 1 good artist you'll have hundreds or thousands of tracers and sketchers. And a lot of people - maybe even the majority - would rather spend $100 on a piece of garbage art they can have right now than $3600 on a piece of art with a six month waiting list and 1 year work time.

HazCat has a new favorite as of 04:19 on Apr 1, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

thetoughestbean posted:

Some people also just have terrible taste and/or a tattoo artist who isn't very good at their job.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

Yes but WHY IS THIS ALLOWED

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

docbeard posted:

Yes but WHY IS THIS ALLOWED

Because you have to consider other peoples feelings BEFORE you consider your own

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
The best food you can buy comes from a gas station deep fryer. You got your taquitos, crispitos, burritos, chicken tenders, nuggets, whole bone in pieces, every kind of fried potato, egg rolls, boudin balls (offer only available in rad neighborhoods), corn dogs, jalapeno poppers, CHURROS.

If you're not eating at a gas station or bodega weekly you're not living your life right. Go to the ugly one that sells beer 2 for 1.

I just wanted to stop talking about tattoos for a while.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I don't know about all the rest but gas station roller dogs are the single most underrated food item full stop.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I have tattoo of the white tree of Gondor and it is in fact cool

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

I don't know about all the rest but gas station roller dogs are the single most underrated food item full stop.

When you get a hot dog that has just reached the perfect moment of doneness, all of the buns are fresh, they just stocked the condiments? That is heaven.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Gas station taquitos are the pinnacle of street food.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The best barbeque I've ever eaten came from a gas station just off I-55 in south Mississippi.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
I was going to say you're all disgusting slobs with terrible taste but now I am considering that maybe there are no good gas stations where I live.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Well, it's called "comfort" food instead of "quality" food for a reason.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
the best fish and chips i ever ate was on the beach at Blackpool on a sunny September day

and let me tell you, i have eaten a lot of fish and chips

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

For my cousin's bachelor party I decided to try and class it up by buying fancy cheese and wine from an Indianapolis gas station. Turns out they were not that fancy.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

For my cousin's bachelor party I decided to try and class it up by buying fancy cheese and wine from an Indianapolis gas station. Turns out they were not that fancy.
You have to get the sushi if you want to be fancy, duh.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There was a point in my life where I was working part time at a gas station, I needed money so bad that that year and a half I subsisted almost entirely on expired Gas Station food. I would rather blow my brains out then ever eat anything off a roller grill, or a hot holder again

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

fizzymercury posted:

When you get a hot dog that has just reached the perfect moment of doneness, all of the buns are fresh, they just stocked the condiments? That is heaven.

:agreed:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

the best fish and chips i ever ate was on the beach at Blackpool on a sunny September day

and let me tell you, i have eaten a lot of fish and chips

As an Australian, I expected so much from fish and chips when I was in the UK. But it was literally fish. And chips. So sad.

That said, my go-to supper in Glasgow was deep-fried haggis, so I guess land/contrasts.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Elissimpark posted:

As an Australian, I expected so much from fish and chips when I was in the UK. But it was literally fish. And chips. So sad.

That said, my go-to supper in Glasgow was deep-fried haggis, so I guess land/contrasts.

I mean that's what it is, you can jazz it up with salad, buttered bread, tartar sauce and peas but at the end of the day its a bit of fish with some chips

Not gonna knock a haggis supper though

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I live in a costal town in Scotland, so fish and chips should be my poo poo, but the fatty, sodden chips a lot of chippers do really gross me out. Its sad!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

People who only read Harry Potter should be put on a rocket to the sun

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Gaius Marius posted:

People who only read Harry Potter should be put on a rocket to the sun

Any adult who owns a single piece of harry potter merchandise gets side eyes

Same with adult disney fans who go to the parks

edit: also it is weird when they call the parks "disney" instead of disney land or disney world. Like "look at my thousand photos from our trip to disney"

Manager Hoyden has a new favorite as of 02:37 on Apr 2, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

gently caress all nuts that aren't peanuts. Bullshit overpriced plant balls.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i go to tokyo disneyland because my wife likes it. its fine. i like it mostly because it has rollercoasters that i dont have to be terrified of

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Manager Hoyden posted:

Any adult who owns a single piece of harry potter merchandise gets side eyes

Same with adult disney fans who go to the parks

edit: also it is weird when they call the parks "disney" instead of disney land or disney world. Like "look at my thousand photos from our trip to disney"

I once had my blood drawn by a grown adult who had a visible tattoo that read DISNEY MAFIA and yes, the word DISNEY was in that Walt's Signature font and no, I didn't ask

the way some people are completely and utterly broke-brained about their Disney fandom - not, like, for a particular movie or character or whatever, just the all-encompassing idea of DISNEY - makes me wonder if those Project MONARCH kooks aren't onto something, if only by accident

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Its a very human thing to obsess over something which has brought you joy and happiness whether its harry potter or Disney. Its not wrong but it should absolutely be a legitimate thing to make fun of someone for because if they can laugh it off its good charachter and if they get really defensive and upset they are just big children.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Disney World is extremely fun it’s just too expensive

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Its a very human thing to obsess over something which has brought you joy and happiness whether its harry potter or Disney. Its not wrong but it should absolutely be a legitimate thing to make fun of someone for because if they can laugh it off its good charachter and if they get really defensive and upset they are just big children.

Yeah, I tend to do a bit of mental math with the Harry Potter thing. If they experienced the books as kids and went crazy for it and have nostalgic warm feelings for it, that's okay. If they were over around 14 when the books launched and obsess over it, I really wonder if they're doing okay and keep an arms length.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Disney World is extremely fun it’s just too expensive

Islands of Adventure is much better.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Islands of Adventure is much better.

Coincidentally, as someone who also can't stand adult Harry Potter fans, the main Harry Potter ride at Islands of Adventure is good and you can get a bunch of delicious, outrageously priced sweets there. I was there on a rainy mid-week day in February and I only saw two adults in wizard robes.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Henchman of Santa posted:

Coincidentally, as someone who also can't stand adult Harry Potter fans, the main Harry Potter ride at Islands of Adventure is good and you can get a bunch of delicious, outrageously priced sweets there. I was there on a rainy mid-week day in February and I only saw two adults in wizard robes.

I was there at the same time of year and had a great time at the Harry Potter section. I had no idea what was happening, but it was cool!

There's nothing inherently wrong with Harry Potter (Rowling is trash, but in HP not in any way more or less apparent than most 90s pop culture), but it feels like it was the last big franchise to really break people's brains due to it coinciding with the rise of the Internet.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
The people that worry me are the Game of Thrones book fanatics. Those guys are always super intense about the books being destroyed by the show. And they really love telling you all about why the endless creepy sexual violence is totally cool and good.

Harry Potter fans are at least pretty chill otherwise. GoT weirdos go HARD.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

anybody who doesnt read real literature instead of genre crap is a loving moron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

fizzymercury posted:

Harry Potter fans are at least pretty chill otherwise.
Most Harry Potter fans are really just garden-variety harmless weirdoes, but once you get to the fanfiction-grade obsessives, that changes very quickly.