Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Polyseme posted:

I can't see any status that may, but probably don't, exist in the places I don't go.

Not everything is about you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Hedenius posted:

Without going into anything else I’m extremely curious to know why you think the wars in Libya and Iraq are caused by “international trade”. I assume you mean the latest wars, but if you don’t I’m even more confused.

the war in iraq was fought for control of the oil industry and contracts for US companies, so it was a product of the same international capitalism that also (i think) is what prevents a much larger war from occurring by making states so interconnected that a large, catastrophic and nuclear war is not profitable (or at least, which was my original argument, completely stopping international travel and trade would make such a war far more likely). a large war is counterproductive to the reproduction of capital so instead it fights smaller proxy wars

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
The Iraq war was fought to allow Dick Cheney's company to loot the US treasury. It cost trillions and was a very successful business venture for the arms industry and their cronies. Death to America, is what a Iraqi woman might say after her whole family was killed by US bombs.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
If you live in the US, there's not really a good excuse for not learning English.

If you live in the Western Hemisphere, there's not really a good excuse for not learning Spanish.

ETA: I absolutely cannot speak Spanish.

Nameless Pete has a new favorite as of 05:37 on Jun 29, 2020

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Chili, just like pizza, is also excellent when consumed cold.

Chili, just like pizza, is a sandwich.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

christmas boots posted:

Chili, just like pizza, is a sandwich.

Probably better suited for the "Stuff You Just Figured Out" thread, but since we're on the topic...
I only learned when I was well into my twenties that most people eat chili out of bowls, be them inedible or bread.
My entire life I've been eating it on top of spaghetti noodles, and it blew my mind when I found out that was uncommon.

The Mighty Moltres has a new favorite as of 07:09 on Jun 29, 2020

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I hear americans talk about chili a lot and i assume you mean its a dish and not the spice? Is it just some stew with chili in it?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yes. It's ground beef stewed in Chili powder, beans, onions and tomatoes.

Although there are different types of Chili, like the superior Green Chili which is very different. If someone just says "chili" though that is what they are referring to and it's always some type of stew or sauce.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also you will find that most Americans think they make or know of the best chili in the world, despite it all pretty much tasting the same.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Chili is fine but why would you ever choose it over a good old plate of mince n' tatties

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Chili is fine but why would you ever choose it over a good old plate of mince n' tatties

This is just a deconstructed shepherd's pie :colbert:

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

jojoinnit posted:

And it looks friggin delicious.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Substitute the peas for something like fresh tomato or/and cucumber and I'll eat that every day.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

jojoinnit posted:

and Haggis is just a deconstructed sheep, we don't have much variety up in Scotland

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

jojoinnit posted:

You're the kid who ate Duplo.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

You're the kid who ate Duplo.

Slander. I feasted on deconstructed Lego.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Yes. It's ground beef stewed in Chili powder, beans, onions and tomatoes.

Although there are different types of Chili, like the superior Green Chili which is very different. If someone just says "chili" though that is what they are referring to and it's always some type of stew or sauce.

In Texas, it’s mostly stewed peppers and meat (not always ground, you cook it a while) thickened with masa harina into a stew. No beans. I usually have cornbread with it too.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

What's the best soups/stews?

My ranking would be:

1. Boeuf Bourguignon
2. Chili
3. Sopa de Ajo
4. Pretty much any creamy seafood chowder
5. Dinty Moore Beef Stew

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

champagne brie

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Captain Monkey posted:

In Texas, it’s mostly stewed peppers and meat (not always ground, you cook it a while) thickened with masa harina into a stew. No beans. I usually have cornbread with it too.

Chili is probably one of the most regional foods the US has. Like, here in Colorado, New Mexico hatch green Chili with pork, is pretty much the standard but I can't find it when I go up north anywhere. Although I think? a lot of tex mex uses it too. Every state has their own take on it though. I've never used masa as a thickener.

But the universal American Chili is just the ground beef, beans and chili powder. It's what you'll find labeled as "chili" in a can, or squirts out of a hose at a gas station.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Also I make the best Chili.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

im not so unpragmatic and idealist that i dont recognize that international trade really has prevented large scale war to some degree, even if it simultaneously is the cause of proxy wars (like in iraq and libya). if you really do go to a situation where everything is local and people generally stay in one place without also changing many other things at the same time you will ultimately just feed mercantilism and a resurgence of the nation state as a vessel for class interest, as opposed to transnational corporations, which will probably lead to old fashioned wars for territory and possibly ethnic cleansing or nuclear war. i think whatever should happen, that situation should be avoided at all costs. the world shouldnt be balkanized, especially not right now.

the big mystery of the current age isn't why fascism is coming back, it's that it's failed to really consolidate despite its apparent momentum. there are open fascists in power in most of the superpowers (usa, brazil, arguably russia and india) but it hasn't yet led to total war or genocide like it did in the 30s and 40s, just murder on a much smaller scale like the drug war in the philippines or the loss of life due to inaction in response to the virus outbreak. i think this is just because there are too many economic and trade interests at stake for that to be a real option, so instead fascism (mostly) resorts to blustering and attempts at isolationism

i dunno what the solution to this is while also still preventing like a 5 degree rise in global temperatures or anything, i dont think there really is a good one, the best i can think of is drastically reducing completely and obviously frivolous consumption like giant houses (construction contributes a lot of co2) or inefficient cars, replacing power plants yada yada and yeah eating local food where possible, but i dont think international travel and trade should end altogether, it should still be possible or even encouraged in some way

I'm not sure that I trust the geopolitical analysis of anyone who files Narendra Modi and the BJP in the "arguable fascists" category. They are, without doubt, fascists. They're open fascists that regularly do pogroms that leave thousands dead, and they've been doing it for decades. They openly call for an ethnostate. They openly venerate Hitler. You cannot be fashier than the BJP. They're not saying the quiet part loudly, because they've never had a quiet part.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I'm not sure that I trust the geopolitical analysis of anyone who files Narendra Modi and the BJP in the "arguable fascists" category. They are, without doubt, fascists. They're open fascists that regularly do pogroms that leave thousands dead, and they've been doing it for decades. They openly call for an ethnostate. They openly venerate Hitler. You cannot be fashier than the BJP. They're not saying the quiet part loudly, because they've never had a quiet part.

yeah i dont disagree its just that india is a complete blind spot for me and i hardly know about the place at all

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Solice Kirsk posted:

What's the best soups/stews?

My ranking would be:

1. Boeuf Bourguignon
2. Chili
3. Sopa de Ajo
4. Pretty much any creamy seafood chowder
5. Dinty Moore Beef Stew

My dad made some killer beef ragout the other evening.
Served over polenta with just the right amount of butter :discourse:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

yeah i dont disagree its just that india is a complete blind spot for me and i hardly know about the place at all

That's fair just holy poo poo Modi is loving horrifying.

It's like if Trump personally oversaw the Tulsa massacre and then got on stage and was like "who here wants to strip black people of citizenship and put them in concentration camps??" to thunderous applause. At least Trump and his ilk they still feel the need to pretend they want something more nuanced.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 14:27 on Jun 30, 2020

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Surf rock is the is like the best genre of music, dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBFLATloe0I

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Valley of the Dolls has it's moments but overall is far too boring and long to deserve the title of "camp classic"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The dutch really deserve more scorn than they get for basically inventing corporations.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The dutch really deserve more scorn than they get for basically inventing corporations.

Invasive international corporations and basically the slave trade. I live here and like to remind people they escaped the blame for basically everything somehow.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It's wild that people used to make fun of other people saying they were "spiritual but not religious" when that's actually the best way to be.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Only lovely liberals are "spiritual".

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I don't think I've ever seen spiritual mean anything other than "religious, but smug about it"?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i believe there must be some sort of prime mover because the other cosmological option is one of infinitely receding causality

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Phosphine posted:

I don't think I've ever seen spiritual mean anything other than "religious, but smug about it"?

It’s liking the idea of religion but not wanting to commit to anything.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
‘Spiritual but not religious’ is an incredibly common self-descriptor in the AA/NA community.

In that context it’s anything but smug, it usually means something along the lines of ‘I’m working this program and doing what it tells me to do in terms of the Higher Power, but I’m not a bible thumper’.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
It’s also big for New Age types. They want to fee there’s more out there, but don’t want it to be the church/synagogue/etc.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Spiritual but not religious gets you all of the benefits with none of the work

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Imagine being "spiritual but not religious"

This post was made by the Agnostic Gang

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

i believe there must be some sort of prime mover because the other cosmological option is one of infinitely receding causality

I believe there CAN be one but that's no basis for anything at all. Also I'm very smart so gently caress all spiritual and religious people.

But eradicate clerics, as they're the real problem.

E: sorry this isn't an (unpopular) opinion but rather the basis of all civil society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
The best way to be is religious but not spiritual. It’s just about following rules at that point, and that is the path to true happiness.