Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

This is a better, more historically accurate musical than Hamilton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7iVsdRbhnc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't know if this is unpopular here but i think it might be for the general public. Marky Mark is the most baffling famous person in existence. he's a bad actor, unlikable, has a stupid face, almost all of his movies are trash for morons and he permanently disabled a man in hate crime. How this guy has seen nothing but bounty in life is beyond me.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The Godzilla anime trilogy is good.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Can't go with you on this one veni, scanning through his Filmography he gets a pass just for The Departed and Three Kings, both excellent movies. He wasn't great in Planet of the Apes but then who was? Cheers for reminding me I still haven't watched the movie Boogie Nights.

Hell it's a pass just for Good Vibrations, thats just a classic 90's dance anthem, yeah, Mark (Marky) Wahlberg is not going to chart in my top 500 favourite celebrities list anytime soon but most baffling famous person in existence? Don't see it.

Heres my choice venix3 tho, theres this young singer from Northern England called Yungblud, try and bear the first 30 seconds of this song that has 45 million views on youtube and then tell me you wouldn't rather watch the entire Max Payne movie instead
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOWBsmgjmPo

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Heres my choice venix3 tho, theres this young singer from Northern England called Yungblud, try and bear the first 30 seconds of this song that has 45 million views on youtube and then tell me you wouldn't rather watch the entire Max Payne movie instead
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOWBsmgjmPo

That's completely fine. It's clearly not for me because I'm not 15, but so what? I loved music like that when I was 15. Like, that song is almost identical to Fat Lip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMX2lPum_pg

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Can't go with you on this one veni, scanning through his Filmography he gets a pass just for The Departed and Three Kings, both excellent movies. He wasn't great in Planet of the Apes but then who was? Cheers for reminding me I still haven't watched the movie Boogie Nights.

Boogie Nights is fantastic. He's also in the highly underrated The Other Guys but I'm not sure if he's bad in it or if his weird timing and delivery is intentional.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

JnnyThndrs posted:

‘Spiritual but not religious’ is an incredibly common self-descriptor in the AA/NA community.

In that context it’s anything but smug, it usually means something along the lines of ‘I’m working this program and doing what it tells me to do in terms of the Higher Power, but I’m not a bible thumper’.

Yeah, and AA has a dismal success rate partially because they try to low key get everyone in the program to be at least "spritual".

I prefer nihilist and horny. :smug: :captainpop: :hotpickle:

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

I don't know if this is unpopular here but i think it might be for the general public. Marky Mark is the most baffling famous person in existence. he's a bad actor, unlikable, has a stupid face, almost all of his movies are trash for morons and he permanently disabled a man in hate crime. How this guy has seen nothing but bounty in life is beyond me.

I agree. It's super weird that the hate crime thing is so glossed over when other people have had their careers ended for significantly less (like saying bigoted poo poo in old tweets.) That's obviously bad, but beating people up because they're Vietnamese is a lot worse.

Oh and Mark Wahlberg also liked to chase small kids, scream the n-word, and throw rocks at their heads because they were black. He did this more than once.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm gonna say this again because I was kinda hoping I could get an argument going about it outside the Godzilla thread, where I am completely outnumbered

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I should have probably included that I meant famous person as in like, a household name. maybe every kardashian? they are pretty loving terrible. I just can't think of anyone who lacks any sort of talent or charisma that has achieved the sheer level of fame as marky mark.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

veni veni veni posted:

I should have probably included that I meant famous person as in like, a household name. maybe every kardashian? they are pretty loving terrible. I just can't think of anyone who lacks any sort of talent or charisma that has achieved the sheer level of fame as marky mark.

Sounds like you're forgetting the drat President

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

touche

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have trouble even looking at Trump as a human at this point tbh. He's just like this sentient toxic blob that is eating the world alive.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Let us not forget Mark Wahlberg’s daily schedule, which includes a 90-minute shower, a 30-minute game of golf, and a 90-minute snack

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Gripweed posted:

I'm gonna say this again because I was kinda hoping I could get an argument going about it outside the Godzilla thread, where I am completely outnumbered

I’ll agree that it’s good if it gets you to shut the hell up about anime!

Nah I’m just playing. You’re good people.

The anime sucks though

Now shut up!

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

it's bad and its metaphorical head is up it's own rear end.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

no it's good

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Hell, it's so rare to see scifi that is willing to admit that actually living on a spaceship would be a miserable fate worse than death, the Godzilla anime trilogy gets big points just for that

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
There will never be a good Godzilla movie made in the west because the appeal of the movies is watching men in rubber suits smash up cardboard buildings. Doing that with state of the art special effects isn't fun.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

Let us not forget Mark Wahlberg’s daily schedule, which includes a 90-minute shower, a 30-minute game of golf, and a 90-minute snack

What is Cryo chamber recovery? :lol:

Is this seriously real? it can't be

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

veni veni veni posted:

I know some athletes use that but it’s usually only for like two or three minutes. Not whatever the hell he’s doing

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Pro athletes do it. And yes he really did share that seriously on his instagram.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So is that a fancy way of saying he stands in a refrigerator for a while?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

It's an ice bath, or swimming in a frozen lake like it used to be done, except for the rich.

*believe the fancy version involves a chamber with gases and poo poo, very high status

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Apparently icing yourself after exercise speeds recovery or something. Normals like you or me would probably climb in a bath of ice. Fancy people have Cryo chambers to enhance their sexual energies and orgone levels at the same time.

E: gently caress, beaten.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

doverhog posted:

It's an ice bath, or swimming in a frozen lake like it used to be done, except for the rich.

*believe the fancy version involves a chamber with gases and poo poo, very high status

Those are incredibly stupid, too. Decent risk of frostbite and if they leak nitrogen it can displace all the oxygen in the room and kill the poo poo out of you.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I'm actually pro ice baths, and swimming in frozen lakes, after a sauna. I'm Finnish after all. However think cryo chambers are a bit of a joke, and a status symbol.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Fireworks are terrible. They're not that cool to look at. Just not impressive. They should be illegal. They're dangerous, and they're disruptive. Using them in any kind of residential area means you're being a loud annoyance to people who live near you. There's very likely some neighbor of yours that is trying to sleep, and you're making their life worse so that you can enjoy a loud flash of light. gently caress off. They're a loving blight and the week of 4th of July is the worst. Of course people have been lighting off fireworks until almost midnight every single night for the last god drat month. Any enjoyment I may have ever had from fireworks is gone. gently caress them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Thanks for sharing this fun song. I enjoyed it. :)

Gripweed posted:

Hell, it's so rare to see scifi that is willing to admit that actually living on a spaceship would be a miserable fate worse than death
I don't feel like that's true? Even in stuff like Star Trek they generally can't wait to get off the ship and spend some time on an actual planet.

Master Twig posted:

Fireworks are terrible. They're not that cool to look at. Just not impressive.
I've been saying this for years and people always react like I'm crazy.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
After watching Hamilton on Disney+ I still think its amazing, and I hate how SA and the internet has turned against it so much, and treats you like the guys from Get Out claiming they have a black friend if you say you enjoy it. It's okay to like popular things.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I have not seen it but I have only heard good things about it. Except on here, but the people here complaining about it are miserable burdens IRL so gently caress'em.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Annabel Pee posted:

After watching Hamilton on Disney+ I still think its amazing, and I hate how SA and the internet has turned against it so much, and treats you like the guys from Get Out claiming they have a black friend if you say you enjoy it. It's okay to like popular things.

i havent seen it but i heard that Hamilton is about a bunch of people dressed up as the founding fathers rapping in that boring style where the rhyme scheme is just A A A A A A A and that sounds lame honestly. i might be wrong but i also just don't like musicals

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah every clip I have seen of it makes it look extremely lame. I feel that way about everything i have ever seen from broadway though so ymmv.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Absolutely nothing will ever convince me that Hamilton is any different to the incredibly lame educational plays they forced us to watch in school that were put on by well-meaning theatre enthusiasts trying to make education engaging for teens.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i cant stand most modern theatrical productions, especially if they do a stupid rear end dance or include music or just weird meaningless behavior or they try to "update" shakespeare to make it more "relevant" (get it??? julius caesar is just like donald trump!)

the clothing and stuff on stage should just be functional and non-distracting, i'm not a theatre guy in general but i can still appreciate a very well-delivered monologue or something, just get good actors and don't bullshit around with decoration and modernizations, just deliver the lines very well

also all of the "funny" and wacky shakespeare plays can go in the toilet, the tragic or historical ones like othello or hamlet are good but shakespeare isnt very funny and whenever you hear someone laugh at a stupid joke in the taming of the shrew or whatever its always this kind of "academic laughter" where you can tell the person's not really feeling it

Shibawanko has a new favorite as of 10:48 on Jul 5, 2020

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Tiggum posted:

Thanks for sharing this fun song. I enjoyed it. :)

Well it is much more fun and less frustrating to spend 3 minutes mindlessly enjoying something than to spend 30 minutes trying and failing to understand it

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
10 Things I Hate About You is a better piece of entertainment than anything Shakespeare did

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Master Twig posted:

Fireworks are terrible. They're not that cool to look at. Just not impressive. They should be illegal. They're dangerous, and they're disruptive. Using them in any kind of residential area means you're being a loud annoyance to people who live near you. There's very likely some neighbor of yours that is trying to sleep, and you're making their life worse so that you can enjoy a loud flash of light. gently caress off. They're a loving blight and the week of 4th of July is the worst. Of course people have been lighting off fireworks until almost midnight every single night for the last god drat month. Any enjoyment I may have ever had from fireworks is gone. gently caress them.

:goonsay:

But yeah, I agree. I don’t really like fireworks either. They’re loud and annoying.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Musicals should be illegal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Musicals own, they're gay as hell.