Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

YeahTubaMike posted:

Lol at the idea of a comedy band being good.

Ween is good, but I think because they are good they transcend the category 'comedy band'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

People are way, way too upset by "irregardless" being recognized as a word by Merriam-Webster.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

docbeard posted:

People are way, way too upset by "irregardless" being recognized as a word by Merriam-Webster.

does it have a picture of a fat dude from Jersey next to it?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

docbeard posted:

Yeah this kind of thing isn't totally unprecedented in the English language

hawowanlawow posted:

does it have a picture of a fat dude from Jersey next to it?

Is this a reference I'm not getting, or is this at attempt to steer the thread back to the topic of Ween, and its fans? Either way, well done

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

silence_kit posted:

Ween is good, but I think because they are good they transcend the category 'comedy band'.

The only thing I know about Ween is the shoe-tying song they did for Spongebob, which was fine in the context of the episode.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Ween are definitely not a comedy band. Having humorous lyrics is different from just doing musical comedy. Just like how Primus and Frank Zappa aren’t comedy acts either.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Henchman of Santa posted:

Ween are definitely not a comedy band. Having humorous lyrics is different from just doing musical comedy. Just like how Primus and Frank Zappa aren’t comedy acts either.

I would categorize Frank Zappa as a comedy artist, because most of his music is bad

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I only just heard about garfunkle and oats this week

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
PHUO: People (especially goons) too often act like everything is performative for cred. As if nobody could ever do or like a thing they don’t personally do or like is because the person wants to get twitter likes or something.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

performative is just what people say on sa because they can't say virtue signaling

it means exactly the same thing and it's often applicable as hell, but still lol

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
People, and not just goons, usually get annoyed and turned off by excessive moralizing. Accusations of hypocrisy is a pretty classic retort to people who are really into moralizing excessively. Example: evangelical Christians

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
And then there’s acting like the terabytes of Hamilton fanart on google were all rich liberals virtue signaling and not teenaged theatre dweebs with questionable taste who liked the enormously popular musical

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
And then there’s acting like the terabytes of Hamilton fanart on google were all rich liberals virtue signaling and not teenaged theatre dweebs with questionable taste who liked the enormously popular musical

e: oh hey my first double post and it's this one of all ones

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 19:40 on Jul 7, 2020

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the musical sucks and people who like it suck

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bad people can make beautiful art.

It is okay to like the beautiful art.

It is also okay not to.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

docbeard posted:

It is okay to like the beautiful art.

Uh oh . . .

I guess you could say that simultaneously believing that '(authorial) intent doesn't matter' and 'it is NOT ok to like the beautiful art' is a paradox. There are many ways though to resolve that paradox, however.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

silence_kit posted:

Of course intent matters. I'd be surprised if you consistently made moral judgments using the Twitter Mantra 'intent doesn't matter' in your own personal life and experience.
Intent matters to the person doing the thing, not to anyone else. If you unintentionally did something that hurt someone else then you feel bad. If you intentionally did it then you don't. If you got hurt by someone else then it really doesn't matter if they're a careless arsehole or a malicious arsehole, either way you're going to avoid them. And if you see someone hurting someone else then you should be concerned for the person who got hurt, not the dickhead who did it.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Sometimes we do bad things, and we can't forgive ourselves for them, and shouldn't forgive ourselves for them.

Sometimes regret is useful.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

silence_kit posted:

Uh oh . . .

I guess you could say that simultaneously believing that '(authorial) intent doesn't matter' and 'it is NOT ok to like the beautiful art' is a paradox. There are many ways though to resolve that paradox, however.

I wouldn't say authorial intent doesn't matter at all (unless I'm shitposting), just that it's never absolute.

I don't see what either position has to do with your personal engagement (or lack thereof) with a given work, though. You can choose to enjoy and appreciate, or not, a work of art for any reason and need not justify yourself to anyone.

(I am taking no position on the value of Hamilton as I haven't seen it, though I've heard a few songs I like.)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Like, can you imagine a conversation going like:

"I like this."

"NO YOU DON'T PROVE IT RIGHT NOW!"

Oh. Actually yes I can because I have seen the internet.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Tiggum posted:

Intent matters to the person doing the thing, not to anyone else. If you unintentionally did something that hurt someone else then you feel bad. If you intentionally did it then you don't. If you got hurt by someone else then it really doesn't matter if they're a careless arsehole or a malicious arsehole, either way you're going to avoid them. And if you see someone hurting someone else then you should be concerned for the person who got hurt, not the dickhead who did it.

I think that if you were to consistently believe this, you'd be unhappy with how the US justice system creates different categories of punishments for different kinds of killings, which are dependent on the intent of the killer. I suspect that you do not believe that e.g. an elderly person or drunk driver who crashed into a car and killed all of its passengers should get the same punishment as a serial killer who gets sadistic pleasure from killing people.

edit: I guess if you also consistently believed this, you wouldn't see a difference between hate crimes and uh, non-hate crimes, unless you reductively defined a hate crime to be something like whenever a white man injures a black man

silence_kit has a new favorite as of 17:33 on Jul 7, 2020

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

docbeard posted:

I don't see what either position has to do with your personal engagement (or lack thereof) with a given work, though. You can choose to enjoy and appreciate, or not, a work of art for any reason and need not justify yourself to anyone.

You don't see how they are kind of related, though? Like if the author's opinion on the art isn't very relevant and the art exists independent of the author/creator, then why would you be obsessed with his or her personal life or morality, and judge other people for liking the art even though the artist might have been a gently caress-up or Literally Evil?

edit: Are Internet Forums Art?

silence_kit has a new favorite as of 18:12 on Jul 7, 2020

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Andy Warhol sucked

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Hamilton It's good actually, because there was that whole thing where a white girl pretended to be a Middle Eastern couple with aids so that they could write fanfiction about Hamilton characters having aids, which was uncovered during a long sting performed by a Hamilton fan who had been wronged over their gay cannibal Hamilton mermaid alternate universe fanfiction. Nothing about that is an exaggeration, and it's loving great

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
What are the musical itself is good or not, I don't know. I don't see it, haven't seen it, I don't intend to see it. But who cares, things don't matter. It's the derivative products and the associated melodrama that is way better

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pick posted:

Hamilton It's good actually, because there was that whole thing where a white girl pretended to be a Middle Eastern couple with aids so that they could write fanfiction about Hamilton characters having aids, which was uncovered during a long sting performed by a Hamilton fan who had been wronged over their gay cannibal Hamilton mermaid alternate universe fanfiction. Nothing about that is an exaggeration, and it's loving great

This is where That Fanart came from, right?

Anyone who read that and doesn’t think it’s real- I’m pretty sure they were pretending to be an Indian couple with AIDS, but outside of maybe that detail that summary is 100 percent accurate. It’s some of the best completely bonkers internet drama of the past 10 years.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The yiddish language is worthwhile and it's valid to be angry that both Fiddler on the Roof and Orange is the New Black stole my loving name, טוביה. I got to be constantly compared to fictional characters if I dared saying my name, while growing up I was "Thomas" or "Toby" depending on how aggressively christian neighbours were, it loving sucked. Tevye the milkman and Black Cindy and the people who adore those fictional characters can fuckin fight me.

Tova's conversion scene is actually extremely good but I wish they wrote her a different name

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Ugly In The Morning posted:

This is where That Fanart came from, right?

i LOVE The Fanart

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pick posted:

i LOVE The Fanart

I don’t love it, but I’m almost... impressed by it. Not for the quality, but for how loving hard it goes for the most insane, tone deaf, real-person fanfic ever made. It’s not good but it inspires one hell of a reaction. I’m not sure if that reaction is intentional or accidental, but it’s like getting bit on the stomach by a horse.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

silence_kit posted:

I think that if you were to consistently believe this, you'd be unhappy with how the US justice system creates different categories of punishments for different kinds of killings, which are dependent on the intent of the killer. I suspect that you do not believe that e.g. an elderly person or drunk driver who crashed into a car and killed all of its passengers should get the same punishment as a serial killer who gets sadistic pleasure from killing people.
That's an odd way to look at it. The result (ie. a person dies) might be the same but the act is different. You don't have to care about the intent (or even the outcome) at all to judge the two cases differently.

In fact, my preference would be for driving dangerously to have the same "penalty" regardless of whether anyone was hurt or not. If you decide drive drunk then it shouldn't matter whether you were lucky enough to avoid hitting anyone; either way you've demonstrated that you can't be trusted to use a car responsibly and shouldn't be allowed to have one.

As for your serial killer, it doesn't matter if they killed someone because they loved to kill or because they couldn't control their anger; either way they're a danger to others and need to be restrained unless and until they can demonstrate that they're no longer dangerous.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
also, to be clear, I love good fanfiction. I love good fanfiction. I love it. there's a ton out there. if you don't it's honest to god your loss.

I don't mean ironically, or like the weird cannibal mermaid poo poo. there's just a lot of great funny enjoyable stories out there written about the characters you know and love and i love that. also corporate ownership of stories sucks a load, fight the man etc

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Pick posted:

also, to be clear, I love good fanfiction. I love good fanfiction. I love it. there's a ton out there. if you don't it's honest to god your loss.

I don't mean ironically, or like the weird cannibal mermaid poo poo. there's just a lot of great funny enjoyable stories out there written about the characters you know and love and i love that. also corporate ownership of stories sucks a load, fight the man etc

My sister once wrote an episode of Family Guy and it was hilarious.
Cutaways and dumb references and everything.
It was honestly better than like 75% of the series.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Tiggum posted:

That's an odd way to look at it. The result (ie. a person dies) might be the same but the act is different. You don't have to care about the intent (or even the outcome) at all to judge the two cases differently.

In fact, my preference would be for driving dangerously to have the same "penalty" regardless of whether anyone was hurt or not. If you decide drive drunk then it shouldn't matter whether you were lucky enough to avoid hitting anyone; either way you've demonstrated that you can't be trusted to use a car responsibly and shouldn't be allowed to have one.

As for your serial killer, it doesn't matter if they killed someone because they loved to kill or because they couldn't control their anger; either way they're a danger to others and need to be restrained unless and until they can demonstrate that they're no longer dangerous.

No, it is actually a pretty common and normal way to look at it.

If you actually consistently believe what you are posting and make moral judgments in that way, all I can say is that you have an unusual and strange sense of morality. I suspect that most people who post things like 'intent doesn't matter' usually actually believe that intent does matter when they make moral judgments.

edit: Here's an example of such a person

Gripweed posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about? We aren't Anubis weighing her heart against a feather. We can't see in her soul and determine precisely how much of her action was motivated by racist fear and how much by racist hate. She's a racist who tried to get an innocent man killed for telling her to put her dog on a leash. gently caress her.

This person is saying that intent is unimportant, but to bolster his/her point they hyperbolically say that the woman had an intent to kill the guy videotaping the interaction. Obviously the two statements undermine each other.

I feel like this is pretty common. The same people who chant the mantra 'intent doesn't matter' tend to have the habit of falsely attributing every action of their political/social enemies to the most malicious intent. It doesn't make sense. Why they would feel the need to do that if they truly believed that intent didn't matter?

silence_kit has a new favorite as of 12:28 on Jul 8, 2020

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i dont make a habit out of looking at fanart but whenever i happen to see it its just so ugly, like people with weird shiny skin and gradient hair colors and weird unnatural facial expressions, ew

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Fanfiction is something ill never understand. I mean i can understand wanting to create it but reading another persons fanfics sounds like when other people describe their dreams.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Fanfiction is something ill never understand. I mean i can understand wanting to create it but reading another persons fanfics sounds like when other people describe their dreams.

yeah ive never understood it. i dont get writing them either though, im not even interested in my own dreams because theyre just a bunch of horseshit that my mind made up for me, like fanfics

the only fanfic thing ive ever sat down and read is that one russian guy's version of the lord of the ring where the orcs are the good guys because its a funny idea but even that wore out its welcome after the initial gimmick and i never finished it

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

like just google the word "fanart" and look at the image search results https://www.google.com/search?q=fanart&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjrmN70vL3qAhWPGewKHdmlBsIQ_AUoAXoECA8QAw&biw=1920&bih=938

whats with the expressions? its all raised eyebrows, dreamworks faces, dumb smirks, i guess this is how fan artists see themselves but all of the faces are extremely punchable

e: i just realized my avatar is making the dreamworks face but i think mishima is probably the only person where that actually suits him

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Shibawanko posted:

like just google the word "fanart" and look at the image search results

You should try searching for fanart of something you like. If you just search for fanart of whatever, you're gonna be confused by drawings of BTS or whatever. That's kinda the whole thing with fanart and fan works in general, they're made not just by fans but also intended to be viewed by fans as well.

Like, here is a Gundam fanart. Someone unfamiliar with Gundam will look at it and probably be like, "That's a well drawn robot, I guess? Whatever". But a Gundam fan understands the Zock so they will look at it and say "Yes. That is good."

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Gripweed posted:

You should try searching for fanart of something you like. If you just search for fanart of whatever, you're gonna be confused by drawings of BTS or whatever. That's kinda the whole thing with fanart and fan works in general, they're made not just by fans but also intended to be viewed by fans as well.

Like, here is a Gundam fanart. Someone unfamiliar with Gundam will look at it and probably be like, "That's a well drawn robot, I guess? Whatever". But a Gundam fan understands the Zock so they will look at it and say "Yes. That is good."

okay lets try the lord of the rings fanart:
https://www.google.com/search?q=lor...ih=938&biw=1920

its just more yaoi stuff with the stupid faces

i have nothing against depicting gay stuff by the way but i hate visual cliches and i dont get why it all has to look the same and be all nerdy and stupid

Shibawanko has a new favorite as of 13:17 on Jul 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Shibawanko posted:

okay lets try the lord of the rings fanart:
https://www.google.com/search?q=lor...ih=938&biw=1920

its just more yaoi stuff with the stupid faces

i have nothing against depicting gay stuff by the way but i hate visual cliches and i dont get why it all has to look the same and be all nerdy and stupid

OK first off you googled lord of the rings fanart and are wondering why all the results were nerdy?

and secondly, what are you talking about? I see a wide variety of art styles and literally only one gay thing