Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Fanfiction is something ill never understand. I mean i can understand wanting to create it but reading another persons fanfics sounds like when other people describe their dreams.

Fanfic (quite reasonably) assumes the reader knows the original text and that provides a concrete shared reference point that doesn't really exist for dreams. Sometimes this is to the detriment of the fanfic, because it overexplains specific changes, or because it omits things that the reader already knows or is too beholden to the original text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

fan works defy the dismemberment of the public domain by allowing writers to take copyrighted characters and set them to work in unusual, fresh, and life-affirming contexts, or to take multiple contexts and smash them together, toying with how they mesh and contrast. it's a useful practice grounds for people to experiment with art using established factors they can freely use as is or modify at their whim.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
professors running online classes in TYOOL 2020 that require literal physical books to be bought.

and also professors that assign books that are technically free but require purchasing an online access code to complete mandatory course work.

should be executed.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yes it's almost like it's some sort of racket

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

professors running online classes in TYOOL 2020 that require literal physical books to be bought.

and also professors that assign books that are technically free but require purchasing an online access code to complete mandatory course work.

should be executed.

when all the coursebooks are from a single publisher and none of them are available as ebooks from your university's library website

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Pick posted:

also, to be clear, I love good fanfiction. I love good fanfiction. I love it. there's a ton out there. if you don't it's honest to god your loss.

Link the good fanfiction coward.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

Patrick Spens posted:

Link the good fanfiction coward.

Someone wrote a story from The Things' perspective, it was pretty great

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
stands ruined jojo's bizarre adventure.

part 2 is the best one.

(deer)

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

my country has a central registry for people who dont want to be called by telemarketers, and if they do call you they get a fine. there should be something similar for emails and other things that beg for reviews like a "no-rating registry". i dont want to rate the laundry repairman after he's done his job, or the tech support staff on the phone, or the restaurant i ordered food from, or the university course i took, or the mailman, im not rating poo poo, ive stopped rating poo poo on principle and never want another request for me to rate anything

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 are retro gaming consoles.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the PlayStation 3 is a Blu Ray player

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

hawowanlawow posted:

It's a MGS4 player that can also play blurays

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

hawowanlawow posted:

I don’t know anyone with a stand-alone Blu-ray player. It’s all consoles, even for people that don’t play games.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The only dedicated dvd player i ever owned was a portable one which was won in a raffle

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i stopped using physical media after cd's, i owned a few dvd's of games of course but never really bought movies on dvd, seemed pointless when you could just pirate everything

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I don’t think I’ve bought a movie on physical media since late 2012. Streaming has taken over completely for me.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I got inland empire on DVD because that's like the only way you can own it lol

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The last physical film I bought was Max Max: Fury Road , the worst purchase I ever made was £16 for a copy of Eight Legged Freaks

I've not pirated anything in my life except for watching my friends downloaded copies of Lost episodes, and even then it was only because they aired in the US a few days after the UK

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Was that out of principle or tech illiteracy?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

doverhog posted:

Was that out of principle or tech illiteracy?

I mean not really either, more tech illiteracy than sheer "oo piracy is bad", I just didn't really want to seek it out.

Actually I'm lying out my face, haha, i downloaded a gently caress ton of mp3s, I was thinking more of movies and games and videos. God having an mp3 collection was such a normal part of upbringing I forgot it was technically illegal.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I pity the fool who didn't amass 10,000 mp3s

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

hawowanlawow posted:

I pity the fool who didn't amass 10,000 mp3s

I went to college at a school that had a DC++ hub where you could share files over the school intranet. It was insane how many pirated MP3’s and movies literally everyone had. The school bookstore sold terabyte hard drives like mad. I wonder if that kind of thing is still super popular now that everyone streams everything.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I went to college at a school that had a DC++ hub where you could share files over the school intranet. It was insane how many pirated MP3’s and movies literally everyone had. The school bookstore sold terabyte hard drives like mad. I wonder if that kind of thing is still super popular now that everyone streams everything.

Not super popular. Between family accounts and people sharing passwords with friend and romantic partners it's more just accumulating streaming accounts payed for by other people, and maybe one yourself.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I just buy raw mp3s from Amazon these days

RIP what.cd

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
We still buy physical media now and then. Streaming services don't have everything (and will rotate content) and even buying individual shows or movies on iTunes etc doesn't cover everything (or can be more expensive than discs).

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Doctor Spaceman posted:

We still buy physical media now and then. Streaming services don't have everything (and will rotate content) and even buying individual shows or movies on iTunes etc doesn't cover everything (or can be more expensive than discs).

I think it is preferable to buy a movie on disc vs. on Amazon or iTunes, if you want to add a movie to your collection. The online rentals and streaming services are pretty good though.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

Ugly In The Morning posted:

While I was in school that was going on too. Some of the biggest sharers had poo poo get confiscated by the government (or whomever, I don't know) and charges brought against them. It kinda started to kill the sharing scheme on campus.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I do not like Tuesday Afternoon by the Moody Blues.
It's an excellent song, lovely to sing with, but every time I hear it I receive bad luck.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Increased storage and better camera and poo poo are nice, but I didn't need a larger phone with no buttons. I swear half of tech designers are just paid to come up with needless sidegrades.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 20:57 on Jul 14, 2020

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Increased storage and better camera and poo poo are nice, but I didn't need a larger phone with no buttons. I swear half of tech designers are just paid to come up with needless sidegrades.

My work computer, a MacBook, has these shallow rear end buttons that are basically half a step away from touchscreen. They quickly vacillate between unresponsive, OVERresponsive, and regular responsive, so you'll get sentences like "I tlked ooon thephonewith my moomm." I bought an adapter and hooked an old USB keyboard up to it because buttons are good and tactile response is good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The no buttons thing annoyed me for a couple of weeks but I haven't missed or even thought about the button in years now.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

The no buttons thing annoyed me for a couple of weeks but I haven't missed or even thought about the button in years now.

I was missing the button with the thumbprint reader on my old phone because FaceID doesn’t work with a mask on.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I don't think the new Rorschach comic series will be good.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gripweed posted:

It's a MGS4 player that can also play blurays

I literally bought a Sony Play Station 3 home computer system for the singular purpose of playing the computer video adventure game Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of the Patriots (although I did also play Metal Gear Solid on it) and when I was driving home with it I stopped by a flea market because I thought it would be cool to buy a few Blue Ray home video discs as well. I bought Black Swan and some other movie I can't remember. At some point I popped Black Swan in and stopped watching after like fifteen minutes because it looked loving awful! Turns out film grain in hi-def on a 40" VDU is not pleasant to look at. Haven't watched a Blue Ray movie since.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

ive never seen a full episode of the simpsons. seen fragments and clips and pics and stuff but never a full episode. never cared about the show. i like family guy

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Republic > Monarchy

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

People who appreciate Calvin & Hobbes are the same people who think Rick & Morty is good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah they are both pretty good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

On that note. I'm not a mega Rick and Morty fan or anything. I watched it last year on Hulu and thought it was pretty fun. But the people who are "too good " for Rick and Morty are the exact thing they claim Rick and Morty fans are, giant dumbos who think they are super smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I watched Rick and Morty before the hype and it was hilarious but also i had my fill before the end of season 1

Just another half decent tv show that fans will latch onto and milk until its devoid of ideas and ran into the ground. File it next to family guy and the simpsons