Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
A man who never eats pork buns is never a whole man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Bao are the king of foods. Hands down. Every us state I’ve visited has a place that makes baos. The people complaining about American food have never actually been to America or are Americans complaining that they only eat at fast food joints.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Josef bugman posted:

Oooh now I am thinking about steamed pork buns.
They're basically the same thing, yeah, just steamed instead of boiled.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

pierogi is fine but the skins are very thick and i just prefer chinese or japanese ones pan fried in oil

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
See the fluffiness of the pork bun is truly the best part of it.

It always makes me sad that none of the Chinese places that deliver near me really go in for them.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The youtubes where some lame person ploinks their guitar to the "rhythm" of whatever rant are worse than the Chinese fake prank youtubes.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Phuo: alcohol is bad for people and bad for society and we should get rid of it

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

thetoughestbean posted:

I'm trying!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

Thread title applies real well here.

That said, my PHUO is that there’s a subset of society and it’s like 10-15% that just shouldn’t be allowed to drink. The vast majority of people are fine with alcohol and don’t do it to insane excess and don’t drink and drive and are not total jack wads when drinking. But that 10-15% ruin it for literally everyone else.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Captain Monkey posted:

Thread title applies real well here.

That said, my PHUO is that there’s a subset of society and it’s like 10-15% that just shouldn’t be allowed to drink. The vast majority of people are fine with alcohol and don’t do it to insane excess and don’t drink and drive and are not total jack wads when drinking. But that 10-15% ruin it for literally everyone else.

60 percent of alcohol sales are to 10 percent of the population.

(There was gonna be an infographic here but the app is being stubborn)

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

thetoughestbean posted:

drinking wine and beer is an ancient tradition and life without wine and beer frankly sucks

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
We've got rules so that people don't gently caress each others lives up, rules about making sure your behaviour while hosed up on drugs doesn't suck for everyone else is as far as they need to go in my opinion.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Ugly In The Morning posted:

60 percent of alcohol sales are to 10 percent of the population.

(There was gonna be an infographic here but the app is being stubborn)

Yeah, just like the tobacco industry & smoking, the alcoholic beverage industry is also trying to get you addicted to their product, and would greatly shrink in size if there were no alcoholics and were only social drinkers. A lot of people find this fact shocking.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Quitting drinking has made my life immeasurably worse in every possible way except for my health. And I'd still choose to quit even knowing that because gently caress being the person that dies from alcoholism. loving lame.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

PHUO: A lot of drinking as an adult is done as a cargo cult play for fun rather than actually being fun or making anything more fun.

All the fun you had while drinking when you were young was because you were young, not because of the alcohol. You were going to feel good anyway. You can't get it back by just aping what you were drinking at the time.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

A big problem with movies nowadays is that they never have a scene where a character who wears glasses loses their glasses and feels around on the ground on all fours saying "My glasses, my glasses!"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Manager Hoyden posted:

PHUO: A lot of drinking as an adult is done as a cargo cult play for fun rather than actually being fun or making anything more fun.

All the fun you had while drinking when you were young was because you were young, not because of the alcohol. You were going to feel good anyway. You can't get it back by just aping what you were drinking at the time.

Say what you will about alcohol and the ravages it does to your health and society as a whole, but it sure as hell does make things more fun/bearable. It's basically the whole reason people started to drink it to begin with. You ever try to go through a wedding sober? There's a reason little kids hate weddings and older people love them. And that reason is drinking.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Believe me buddy I know

PHOU: Anyone who pays for a wedding but does not provide alcohol should have eloped. Recovering alcoholics excused, religious people not excused.

Like I know not everyone can afford an open bar but a few kegs and a bunch of bottles of wine is the bare minimum to uphold your end of the social contract.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Manager Hoyden posted:

Believe me buddy I know

PHOU: Anyone who pays for a wedding but does not provide alcohol should have eloped. Recovering alcoholics excused, religious people not excused.

Like I know not everyone can afford an open bar but a few kegs and a bunch of bottles of wine is the bare minimum to uphold your end of the social contract.

Having a dry wedding at a winery should be a crime imo

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I once went to a dry wedding that had a candy bar. Like a bartender kind of guy would serve you candy. No alcohol.

Absolutely haram

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Manager Hoyden posted:

I once went to a dry wedding that had a candy bar. Like a bartender kind of guy would serve you candy. No alcohol.

Absolutely haram

That sounds like some Mormon bullshit

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

Say what you will about alcohol and the ravages it does to your health and society as a whole, but it sure as hell does make things more fun/bearable. It's basically the whole reason people started to drink it to begin with. You ever try to go through a wedding sober? There's a reason little kids hate weddings and older people love them. And that reason is drinking.

I think weddings can be amazing fun. Not actual wow fun, but they're incredibly great entertainment if you enjoy watching things fall apart and people act like weirdos. No one, not one single person, knows how to behave like a human at weddings and it's a delight to watch. You're going to see drama, comedy, physical cringe, weeping, making GBS threads, vomiting, a small kid is going to be adorable and some old lady is going to be a racist. Totally a good time if you're willing to sit back and drink it in.

This may have been a coping mechanism I learned from working in the wedding industry, but it is entertaining if you're demented enough.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
PHUO: abolish weddings, courthouse paperwork only.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Followed by a tasteful mandatory reception at Medieval Times Dinner and Tournament.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Religious weddings are fine, but they shouldn't have any legal standing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

We need to go back to when births, marriages, and deaths were recorded by the church.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
New sovcit tactic: recite the shahada

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Manager Hoyden posted:

Absolutely haram

Why didn't they just have a non-alcoholic bar :psyduck: Like make me a refreshing glass of lemonade not a cup of Parma Violets.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Maybe they just really liked candy.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Why didn't they just have a non-alcoholic bar :psyduck: Like make me a refreshing glass of lemonade not a cup of Parma Violets.

I worked at least a dozen weddings with candy bars and they were always for the type of people you'd expect to have nothing but candy at their wedding. The bride always wore ridiculous sneakers instead of dress shoes, the groom wore a superhero tie, the bridesmaids carried balloons instead of flowers, ect. Giant children pretending. One wedding had a motherfucking Willie Wonka theme. It was downright macbre.

There was always a kid that would puke a rainbow somewhere inconvenient.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Cardiovorax posted:

Religious weddings are fine, but they shouldn't have any legal standing.

I don't think they do, at least in the US so my bad if you're in another country. But as far as I know even if you get a huge religious wedding, you still file the same paperwork as someone just getting married at the courthouse.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

People obsessed with Star Trek have a greater chance of being a pedophile.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Mr Hootington posted:

People obsessed with Star Trek have a greater chance of being a pedophile.

I think that's true about everyone who is obsessed with any fiction media

The likelihood approaches certainty if fan art or fan fiction is involved

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Like 90% of fan art and fan fiction is teenagers hth

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Fan art is pretty cool but fanfiction is pretty uncool

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
If you're going to a lot of weddings and not having fun it is because you hate the people who are ostensibly your friends and loved ones

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Like 90% of fan art and fan fiction is teenagers hth

I would assume they want to gently caress teenagers too so I stand by my good opinion

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Weddings would be more fun if it was socially acceptable to just leave when you got bored. But as it is people are expected to turn up before noon for a 2pm ceremony that lasts 10 minutes, then hang around for four hours before dinner, then for another 4-6 hours because everyone is terrified of being the first to leave. This is fine when it's your sister, or your best friend getting married, but I resent giving up an entire day for some third cousin I only see at family wedding/funerals, or someone my girlfriend was vaguely friends with at school.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sweevo posted:

Weddings would be more fun if it was socially acceptable to just leave when you got bored. But as it is people are expected to turn up before noon for a 2pm ceremony that lasts 10 minutes, then hang around for four hours before dinner, then for another 4-6 hours because everyone is terrified of being the first to leave. This is fine when it's your sister, or your best friend getting married, but I resent giving up an entire day for some third cousin I only see at family wedding/funerals, or someone my girlfriend was vaguely friends with at school.

I never go to the ceremony unless I'm in the wedding or it's immediate family (unfortunately for me I'm Italian and Spanish so "immediate family" includes everyone up until fourth cousins). My rule of thumb for leaving is if more than one groomsman has their shirt untucked and unbuttoned, then it's safe to make an exit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Badactura posted:

If you're going to a lot of weddings and not having fun it is because you hate the people who are ostensibly your friends and loved ones

Agreed.

Weddings are fun and I enjoy seeing people I like.