Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

Can I ask what you take away from watching it? Is there a narrative, to it or is it just random matches to look at technique. It's just... I don't get what people get from it. Most other sorts of media I can understand watching. Because they tell a stroy or evoke an emotional response. But I know people who just watch the sport because "well I want to watch it" and thats incredible to me.

i don't really watch them but even I know a sort of meta-narrative and lore forms around sports. part of what made blaseball fun is it exaggerates this to an extent where it overpowers the sport itself almost entirely, becoming a story-churning machine mixed with the medium of idle clickers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Josef bugman posted:

I mean fair, but do you also play it or watch it IRL? Which would you say is more fun? To me they are all not particularly fun, but I can fully understand playing/watching with folks in a way I have difficulty with when someone is on their own. But thank you, and I am glad you enjoy it!

See, to me this sounds like something only marginally less tortuous than watching a comedian die on stage. Can I ask why you enjoy it?

My dad really loved them and I played extremely incompetent outfielder as a kid :shrug:

I'm also the type of person who watches twitch streams though.

That said, everyone should watch little league baseball because it's hilarious to watch little kids who haven't quite figured out how to sprint run the bases. My little cousins play it now and lol

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Henchman of Santa posted:

I can’t speak for his baseball viewing but narrative is a huge part of following and caring about sports. Sports leagues are engineered to produce drama. A team’s journey from scrappy underdog to dynastic title winner is a common example. And watching a lot of games means you get to know the players, their style, their personality, etc. to varying degrees depending on the sport.

But I know people who just watch a random game, not even one they are invested in either side, just a random match and it's just like how.

I can understand that I suppose, it just seems like something I have a bit of difficulty understanding. Thank you all very much!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

I can’t speak for his baseball viewing but narrative is a huge part of following and caring about sports.

Yeah that's what makes it so god-drat boring. Sports aren't inherently boring, it's the people who talk about it. So, in short: sports are anime.

No wait anime is inherently bad uhh sports are Sonic oh gently caress wait no sports are...

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Josef bugman posted:

Can I ask what you take away from watching it? Is there a narrative, to it or is it just random matches to look at technique. It's just... I don't get what people get from it. Most other sorts of media I can understand watching. Because they tell a stroy or evoke an emotional response. But I know people who just watch the sport because "well I want to watch it" and thats incredible to me.

There is some narrative tied into it. Yankees/Astros games this year have been pretty entertaining - The Astros won the World Series a couple years ago by cheating big time and it was a whole thing. Yankees were the team they knocked out of the playoffs to go to the WS and Yankees fans HAVE NOT let it go(prob the only good thing the Yankees have ever done, gently caress the Yankees)

https://twitter.com/MaxTGoodman/status/1389720900019310596 NWS for language if that matters

Specific matchups are fun, Really Good Pitcher A vs. Really Good Pitcher B. There's also been a history of Playing Games The Right Way and Unwritten Rules that are pushed around by the olds. But there's been an infusion of young SUPER talented kids that are just like gently caress all that and actually show emotion and stare at home runs after launching them a mile and tossing their bat. Then when people complain the response is largely "lol pitch better then".

Like this that happened over the last couple weeks; basically what happens in the video is the batter (Tatis) looks down to see what the catcher is telling the pitcher (Bauer) to throw, winds up hitting a home run and is pretty stoked about it.

https://twitter.com/fuzzyfromyt/status/1386212252848586752?s=20

So then Bauer addresses it:

https://twitter.com/BauerOutage/status/1386369207298789376?s=20

And Tatis responds:

https://twitter.com/tatis_jr/status/1386380363312689155

This kind of stuff is bringing personality to baseball that just hasn't been there....ever and I love it.

e: It's worth noting that I'm not a fan of any of these teams, but will still watch these games because of stuff like this

Joey Freshwater has a new favorite as of 19:27 on May 13, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Joey Freshwater posted:

Yankees were the team they knocked out of the playoffs to go to the WS and Yankees fans HAVE NOT let it go(prob the only good thing the Yankees have ever done, gently caress the Yankees)

:hai:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Sorry totally posted a popular opinion in the unpopular opinion thread

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
All sports and gameshows are poo poo, and should be replaced with The Running Man.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Sunswipe posted:

All sports and gameshows are poo poo, and should be replaced with The Running Man.

Actually Miranda is good one because she's actually slightly harder to kill in the suicide mission. Even if she's not loyal she will will never be the one to die if you pick her as the fire team leader the first time around. In this case though I believe that's to make sure you always have at least one choice for the barrier later (even if she's not good for that)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Sunswipe posted:

I like Taskmaster.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The midwest starts in western Minnesota. Illinois, Ohio, Michigan are all East Coast states. As is anything touching one of the great lakes.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Well, I guess the Great Lakes are connected to the Atlantic Ocean.

But so is the Pacific Ocean, making California also a part of the Extended East Coast States

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Sunswipe posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gxu248aD6PY

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

silence_kit posted:

Well, I guess the Great Lakes are connected to the Atlantic Ocean.

But so is the Pacific Ocean, making California also a part of the Extended East Coast States

The only midwestern state is Kentucky

oh also Vermont.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gaius Marius posted:

The midwest starts in western Minnesota. Illinois, Ohio, Michigan are all East Coast states. As is anything touching one of the great lakes.

Where is “Uganda is an East Coast state” on this alignment chart?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

Where is “Uganda is an East Coast state” on this alignment chart?

Next to Landerig.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

The american Midwest is defined as any state in which canned cream of mushroom soup is considered a cooking ingredient.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If you call it a casserole instead of a hot dish you can get the gently caress out.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Next to forums double-agent Landerig.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Gaius Marius posted:

If you call it a casserole instead of a hot dish you can get the gently caress out.

I only serve hot dish at room temperature

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
As an ignorant European who has never visited the states in my life when you guys say "Midwest" we hear "Kansas"

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

JollyBoyJohn posted:

As an ignorant European who has never visited the states in my life when you guys say "Midwest" we hear "Kansas"

The Midwest does include Kansas, and also Nebraska, North and South Dakota, Minnesota (this is the cursed heart of the Midwest), Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, and Wisconsin. Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio are ethnically midwestern but are not practicing midwestern.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Manager Hoyden posted:

The Midwest does include Kansas, and also Nebraska, North and South Dakota, Minnesota (this is the cursed heart of the Midwest), Iowa, Missouri, Illinois, and Wisconsin. Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio are ethnically midwestern but are not practicing midwestern.

ah so midwest is meant in the context of the whole continent not just the USA

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kansas and Missouri are both southern states.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It’s pronounced Missoura

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I hate when "south" is used to mean "bad." Like how people will say "southern Indiana is the south." It's not the south, it's just that poo poo-tier white people exist from sea to shining sea.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I hate when "south" is used to mean "bad." Like how people will say "southern Indiana is the south." It's not the south, it's just that poo poo-tier white people exist from sea to shining sea.

But by performatively attacking the South I can feel better about being from bumfuck Ohio or rural New York!

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

PHUO: There are poo poo-tier people across the globe, from the biggest cities to the tiniest bumfuck farming villages

Anyone who feels superior to another person based on where they are physically located at the moment is a soft nationalist

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Captain Monkey posted:

But by performatively attacking the South I can feel better about being from bumfuck Ohio or rural New York!

something something Iowa Chops

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The south is really nice and created basically all the American food worth a drat. But it's way too hot. Especially once you hit the humid states, absolutely hellish.

The east coast has the best preserved historical sites and generally decent weather.

The west has the best geography to see but it's being absolutely destroyed by the people living there.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

It really is too loving hot

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I will never find another human being less relatable than those who say they hate eating and food is a chore.

Yes I'm fat

I'm incredibly squeemish and hate running into stuff like gristle in meat. :shobon:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Acerbatus posted:

I'm incredibly squeemish and hate running into stuff like gristle in meat. :shobon:

I kinda understand this, i could not stand pork chops as a kid but I've grown to like them

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Manager Hoyden posted:

PHUO: There are poo poo-tier people across the globe, from the biggest cities to the tiniest bumfuck farming villages

Anyone who feels superior to another person based on where they are physically located at the moment is a soft nationalist

I am aware of my prejudices and try to keep a constant vigil on them so as to not dissolve into a classist elitist chud...

But seriously broadly speaking the South is full of Christians and rednecks and republicans and should be given to Mexico.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The South tried to leave, so really it's the North's own fault they're stuck in this loveless marriage.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

credburn posted:

full of Christians and rednecks and republicans

Just leave pretty much any major city regardless of where it is in the country and drive until you start seeing woods and you'll find the same. No one region has a monopoly on anything good or bad.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I was just gonna type that. Maybe instead of attacking people who are usually severely economically depressed you could explain why we could all be working towards a mutually beneficial future, and the people keeping them in regress are both of your enemies.

Or you could be a loving tool who hates people because of their faith like it's loving Bohemia in the 1420's

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Maybe instead of attacking people who are usually severely economically depressed you could explain why we could all be working towards a mutually beneficial future

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

I was just gonna type that. Maybe instead of attacking people who are usually severely economically depressed you could explain why we could all be working towards a mutually beneficial future, and the people keeping them in regress are both of your enemies.

Or you could be a loving tool who hates people because of their faith like it's loving Bohemia in the 1420's

well now that you've said it, it seems uncool