Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

sassassin posted:

They went to a hippy college so being "conservative and anti-progressive" was shock humour to their original audience.
They don't even have a wholly consistent philosophy or outlook on the world, which is totally cool but they have a weirdly disproportionate amount of influence on growing white boys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

The internet of things and home automation are loving stupid and make me feel like an angry luddite. We're living in a world where people can and do hack your lightbulbs and appliances. Idiot nerds spending 10k on a bunch of stupid automation poo poo so they can turn their lights on from their phone or adjust the furnace using cloud based personal biometrics while playing their VR game and their Wifi kettle AI can predict when you need another cup of coffee. Sure it doesn't work half the time and needs hours to set up and isn't actually practical but it's so cool man!!!
My rule of thumb is any home tech that says "you can do ______ but from your phone" I give it a pass. Voice activation or nothing for that, and that tech isn't ready yet. This is ignoring all the security risks of course.

mind the walrus has a new favorite as of 21:52 on May 31, 2017

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I don't get the niche tablets have. It does the same things as my phone and if I need A Better Device I have my laptop. But I got a free ipad with my phone upgrade so I guess I should use it.
I had a night job with a lot of downtime but you had to be ready to go at a moment's notice. A laptop had too much potential to suck you in and looked douche-y to the co-workers beside, but a tablet had all the benefits of screwing around on my phone with a bigger screen size and easy to put down when I was needed.

Kids and old people love them because they're more intuitive than mouse/keyboard set-ups. Kids respond instinctively to "touch to activate" from like toddler age and old people are just happy they don't have to figure out what a pointer is and the difference between left/right click.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The only thing that bugs me about a tablet is unless you get a keyboard attachment it's utter garbage for writing more than 20 words at a time, and as a chronic overtly verbose shitposter on the SomethingAwful forums I cannot abide such limitations on my ability to express myself.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

I need a full multi-monitor "battlestation" and mechanical keyboard for my SA poo poo posting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxQNYPYFq1c

Jerry Cotton posted:

Around 100% of so-called laptop computers are used solely as desktop machines because who the gently caress actually works anywhere except at their desk but employers keep buying laptops because idiot hell fuckers have been going around screaming "THE DESKTOP PC IS DEAD HUAGLUAGHUGHUALUAGH" for the past 20 years.

e: There is a benefit though: not losing your work when there's a power outage because your desktop laptop has a battery in it :mmmhmm:
I'm spoiled and like to take my laptop around to other parts of my house when I need to do work. I'm too conditioned on my desktop to game/shitpost/gently caress around.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Like a decade ago when you had to hunt for decent internet video and XP/Vista were nightmares I recall Mac OSX being really reliable and not prone to bugs... but that was before the iPhone and iPad and Jobs' death so I'm not surprised the quality has gone to poo poo.

I actually like Windows 10 a lot outside of the lovely forced upgrades and nebulous privacy settings. I liked Windows 8 for the same reasons. Using some basic cleaning tools and anti-virus I've yet to contract anything like I did back in the early 00s.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

If you live above the Mason Dixon line and have an outdoor pool I think you're kind of an idiot.

You overspend on water heaters for a few months of the year where most of you barely even use it precisely because you have to heat the pool and that poo poo gets expensive so fast it's stupid.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I don't mind vaping but I do mind that most people I see with them are obvious they want some attention and a cookie, then talk about vaping. Oh and if you use one indoors. Douche move.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Google Wave was gone too soon

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I didn't give a crap about vaping until it turned out that >90% of people I met that vaped were incredibly insufferable about it. We're talking sitting in the front row of a college class, vaping the entire time in the most visible way possible, and then acting like the professor was a jerk for asking them to stop. The stigma came around because of the people that did it early on. Now it's forever tainted.

It doesn't help that it's associated with fedora-wearing neckbeards.
Yeah I don't think I've ever seen anyone I would consider "cool" vaping, nor do I see the marketing directed towards anyone that isn't a kind-of trashy manboy.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Because sometimes people just want chocolate and not peanut butter?
Peanut Butter M&Ms > Reeses Pieces

Solice Kirsk posted:

Reese's Pieces are good in trail mix.
I would love it if I could get trail mix with this over actual peanuts. Actual peanuts are the loving worst.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Reeses peanut butter is great in certain contexts. When I'm feeling really gluttonous I buy a Kit Kat Big Kat bar and a Reese's Big Cup and make a crunchy peanut butter delight.

But in Reeses Pieces? It's pretty eh. Whatever they do with the candy shell and preservatives in that particular peanut butter is just eh.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

This is really shameful, but I've been caring for MS patients recently and I have one request-- MS patients, please learn to give directions for positioning. Specify limb, joint, or thoracic region. Specify vector of movement. Specify type of movement--bend knee, rotate wrist out, angle head downwards to my right. Break your instructions into clear steps. If you have a speech impairment come up with any kind of workaround at all. If your caregiver asks for clarification before moving you be prepared with an answer.

I have bottomless sympathy for you guys, and I'm willing to spend half an hour or more positioning you. But if you start throwing hissy fits because I ask for clarification and you refuse to specify exactly what you want, it takes three times as long and everyone leaves hating each other. You may be paralyzed all over your body, but you still have a responsibility to yourself, and I hate that I feel the need to say that.

In summation. My popular opinion is that MS is a terrible condition.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh yeah MS is one of those things that should scare you white. I genuinely don't blame people who kill themselves after being diagnosed. It's a hard, hard life.

But I've also taken care of enough MS patients to know that some have put the work in and in turn I'm able to give them much better care, and those that haven't. The ones who haven't... You don't know shame until you've wanted to curse out someone who can't move their body outside of their right elbow and head/neck.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Well if the only info you get on the subject is from White Dad Radio (so-to-speak) you'd think so. "Political Correctness is killing the nation" and "People are too culturally sensitive" and "Cultural Appropriation is overblown" has been a meme since I was a child nearly 30 years ago and it was old then. The majority of the time that sentiment comes from a guy--almost always white--who is wondering why he can't do or say whatever he wants without blowback. In other words the type of person who can talk poo poo but can't handle getting hit.

That isn't to say there isn't a point buried in there--people are lovely regardless of culture and there are more than a few assholes who abuse minority privilege to further their own lust for power, and there's nothing inherently wrong with cultural exchange--but those points get completely lost in the sea of "Why isn't there a White Pride Month?" assholes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdyin6uipy4

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I think at least 90% of the actors in The Sopranos were terrible actors. Gandolfini, Edie Falco, and some other main people were fantastic but people like Silvio and pretty much the rest of the crew were embarrassing to watch.

Compare it to The Wire and Six Feet Under. Those shows were like acting masterclasses in comparison.
That accurately reflects what Northern NJ life is like tbqh. Doesn't excuse it, just pointing it out.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Coffee And Pie posted:

I also don't understand how people whose ancestors immigrated to America and dealt with discrimination and racism can be against Mexican immigration.
I've had many Irish-Americans tell me with a straight face that racism wasn't a big deal because "The Irish were persecuted too you know." Usually I shoot back that Boston was where I first experienced true-blue unironic racism, but even so they have this attitude that racism is something people just eventually "get over" as a culture. I blame the gently caress out of US public education for that, which paints the narrative of the West African Slave Trade through the Civil Rights movement and Obama as this linear march of progress that means today black people and all foreigners have risen above institutional and cultural prejudice aside from "a few bad apples."

Plus immigrants are always scary to the entrenched poor because of general xenophobia and the apprehension that more poor people in their community will equal a poorer economy, and the local rich are all too happy to encourage this notion for classic class war manipulation.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I actually dig the term "First Peoples" but like "Indigenous People" and "Native Americans" before it, you can't use it without starting political bullshit about "Political Correctness" and the typical bullshit.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Aramek posted:

Grew up next to a reservation. We had an actual Tribal staffed/run "Department of American Indian Studies" at my university. I asked why they still use that term, and the director said "because we specifically have nothing to do with the far northern/Inuit tribes".

Everyone around home just says Native or Tribal.
Well then, I learned something today. Thank you.

-----------------

Something lighter: Cream Soda is the worst and if you like it I think less of your worth as a human being.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

fruit on the bottom posted:

How do you feel about orange cream soda?
A gross perversion of the wonder that is Orange soda. Creamsicle flavor outside of actual creamsicles always sound better than the reality.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Cream soda is disgusting and terrible and a crime against all other sugar based drinks. Including those weird glucose sprays for aiding in crop growth.
To be fair I'd take a cream soda and dilute it with unflavored seltzer any day over Sucralose or any other artificial sweetener. Maybe I really am addicted to sugar like a heroin addict and fake sugar is methadone, but the truth remains. I can't even find loving Hawaiian Punch without Sucralose anymore. I mean sure that stuff is the harvested blood of a hyperglycemic corpse but dammit I want a cup of that + water once a year.

Baronjutter posted:

After the age of 12 of so you should not be drinking carbonated sugar poo poo. Get some club soda or carbonated water and add a few drops of bitters of something if you want a flavoured carbonated drink.
You can do this with any sweet drink really. Lemonade, Fruit Punch, Gatorade, etc. 1 parts sweet to 10 parts water/seltzer and you've got a really acceptable substitute for actual soda.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

quote:

Everyday sadism was assessed by the Comprehensive Assessment of Sadistic Tendencies.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Based just on the trailer, Baby Driver looks insufferably bad with all the emphasis on music and how the character uses music. I also really dislike Edgar Wright's directing style despite watching all his movies. Also I'm happy he left Ant-Man because I'm convinced his version would have been worse.

Spaced was ok. Go back to TV, Edgar Wright.
Baby Driver looks p. good, but I admit looks like something I'd appreciate way more as a teenager.

:agreed: on Ant-Man, and I really like Edgar Wright.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I dig him but I'm kind of surprised there aren't more Edgar Wright haters out there.
:same:

PHUO: The World's End is the best Wright movie by far and the Invasion of the Body-Snatchers plot almost ruins it. I genuinely wanted to see Gary King's story play out without smashy smashy eggmans getting in the way, even if it was really well done. Hot Fuzz is great but mostly brilliant on a screenwriting level, and drags like crazy in the second act.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It's a pretty stupid concept for a movie so I understand why so many people hate on it, and it did have an incredibly predictable ending, but still.
So many shots of infant butt in the trailer alone you start to ponder its legality.

WampaLord posted:

According to Edgar Wright, this was done by design, to satirize the way Bad Boys 2 feels like it's ending, but then says "This poo poo just got real" and keeps going.
That doesn't make it a joy to sit through, even if it is executed to near-perfection.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Coffee And Pie posted:

Fantasy bores me and I have no interest in LotR, Game of Thrones, or the Elder Scrolls series.

And yet, I love Star Wars and Fallout so...
This used to be me. At some point the whole psuedo-medieval thing just "clicked" and I got the appeal. Not sure how to translate it into words though.

quote:

At some point older works are going to end up like Shakespeare, where no layman can just sit down and appreciate it without a teacher or a companion text to explain the language and the dick jokes.
Shakespeare wrote works for aural consumption. It was never really meant to be scrutinized as a text alone. You watch a strong adaptation of the material, then pore over the text--ideally in pause/play conjunction with said adaptation--in order to "get it." Every English class that plops down A Midsummer Night's Dream in front of 8th graders does his work a massive disservice.

quote:

One reason I like Stephen King and Tolkien both is that in their nonfiction writings on writing, they both profess a strong support for story for story's sake. That is, it's perfectly good and human to read genre fiction or detective novels or whatever purely for escapism and avoid looking for more than just a good story. Tolkien makes an analogy to a prisoner of war- escaping isn't seen as cowardly. In literature there's no shame in using stories merely to escape the mundane drudgery of modern life. You can find, for example, catholic themes running through Tolkien's work but that doesn't mean Gandalf is an allegory or a symbol for anything. Gandalf, in Tolkien's mind, is exactly what the reader interprets him to be.
I agree, but despite the snobbery around it there is something to be said for reading literary fiction for things you won't get out of specific genre work as much as there is vice versa.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Also "nerd culture" doesn't exist. A culture runs deeper than classifying yourself by the poo poo you buy and the movies you watch.
Well the elephant in the room is that "nerd culture" has long been a synonym for the autistic and socially crippled using media to fill the vacuous holes in their lives, so making jokes at the expense of the more pathetic aspects of their hobbies comes across as mean-spirited, even moreso when the long-form message is "but these are the good ones; see they can change and get girlfriends and stuff."

veni veni veni posted:

My favorite fantasy is Dark Souls because it's basically all of the cool poo poo and none of the lame poo poo.
100% :agreed:. The story goes that the creator just made stuff based on imagery and concepts he saw in Western fantasy but couldn't understand because he didn't speak English, so it's this beautiful realization of every wide-eyed imaginative flurry you'd get as a kid browsing the paperback covers of your local library, bookstore, or other public book area. And I say that as someone who can dig traditional fantasy.

Aramek posted:

Speaking of which, I like laughtracks, and more shows should have them.

I even liked the the classic era of Scooby Doo that had them.
I'm not going to knock this crazy opinion, I just want to know why

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

We Know Catheters posted:

Peaches, pears, pineapple, blueberries and coconuts are gross.
Oh hey 8 year-old me. Well, ok Pears and Coconut are still gross but they have their place.

Decrepus posted:

How strongly a nerd feels about Big Bang Theory is a good barometer for if they are worth talking to or not.
Generally true.

Das Boo posted:

I know it's gotten less functional with every update, but gently caress. I downloaded the dumb app while trying to upload that picture, but it has no option for link uploads. So I downloaded the gif, and it only provided sharing options for contacts and other social media sites. No share links. I held my tongue when they hid the share links, removed easy multiple uploads and withheld features behind account walls but I mean jesus, how do they think people use that thing?
They're the de-factor image uploading site on reddit. I think at this point they're just seeing how far they can scale back functionality and retain userbase.

Aramek posted:

I don't know... :negative:

I just know I do, and I know it's extremely unpopular that I love it. I'm not even talking live studio audience, which is also good, I mean 100% edited in laugh track. It's awesome.
Some shows do make good use of it. For all the poo poo you can give Friends--and you can give a lot--they used the laugh track really well. I just know that in the end I'd take without over with any day.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Spiderjelly posted:

Chris Elliot is an underappreciated comedy genius.
The AV Club did some funny stuff about Elliot shooting himself in the foot right out of the gate his first night on SNL.

quote:

There’s a fascinating moment where new cast member Chris Elliott comes on screen for the first time and is greeted by a short but distinct burst of laughter and applause. At least some audience members clearly recognized this weird-looking goofball from Get A Life and David Letterman’s late-night show. Yet the moment Chris Elliott recreates Clinton in his own image—as a W.C Fields-style surly misanthrope or a Lou Costello slapstick stooge—that laughter and applause gives way to the silence of confusion and non-comprehension. It’s as if the crowd likes the idea of an eccentric, hip goofball like Elliott in theory, but once he starts doing weird stuff, they start pining for the fat guy to fall down again.

spit on my clit posted:

the new gorillaz album is subpar, and I feel they should cool off of the collab albums. gotta say though, Strobelite, Saturnz Barz, and Andromeda are good
I've always felt the Gorillaz were kind of "eh" outside of their singles tbqh. I dug Plastic Beach though.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Das Boo posted:

An echo chamber hosed us last election, I'm not sure what good doubling down is meant to do.
I know you know this but I feel like saying it anyway--It's to distract from the fact that huge swaths of the country prefer an Orange wannabe-Caudillo to what they're selling.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I don't get the big deal about Eric Clapton and I feel kind-of guilty about that.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

King of Foolians posted:

It's true that the commercial is mainly sappy but I totally got romantic more-than-just-siblings vibes from it. It's mainly they way the camera lingers on both of them staring and smiling at each other multiple times combined with some of the lines. "I waited up all night for you", "What are you doing?", and "You're my present this year" all sound vaguely like they are from the set-up of a porno. The weird part is that these are all specific choices that someone definitely made while filming and in the editing room to emphasize. That last line in particular could have easily been changed to "Our family being all together is my present this year" and it would have emphasized "family" more than the relationship between this brother and sister.
Yeah same. Everyone I know who has seen that gets the same "wtf?" vibe.

fruit on the bottom posted:

According to one YouTube comment it's a remake of an older Folgers commercial and in that one the girl was a lot younger so the whole thing reads a lot more like a little girl idolizing her big brother.
That makes sense. The whole thing has the stink of being directed by someone far too clean-minded to recognize the implications in delivery/editing.

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhfcWTZeP1k

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Michelle Branch was the best solo female singer of the 2000s and deserved all the hype that avril lavigne got instead.
Yeah she's not exciting and energetic the way Avril appeared to be, and I hated "Breathe", but a Buffy episode that scored a break-up to this song made me a fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NERmgwWfnoI

It's hard to write about such whiny, adolescent emotions and balance them on just the right side of bittersweet on top of such a killer hook. Corporate pop? Absolutely. But the best kind.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

US Office is better than british Office
Both Offices are pretty trash once you look past the highlight reels.

And while Nick Offerman is funny, the image cultivated around him is the worst.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

poptart_fairy posted:

Wanted to get into Rick and Morty based on a friend's recommendation, but Rick's constant belching and Morty's high pitched voice irritate me far too much to continue watching the show.
This got to me at first too. The character design is also really awful. It's one of those things where there is a good show underneath, but you have to tough out parts to get to it. I wouldn't blame you at all for not bothering. It's really good, but it's not "can't-miss" good unless you're a teenage boy.

Baronjutter posted:

Nick Offerman is a very good and cool person, but his parks and rec character while often cool and funny is not exactly someone to hold as a role model. It's a sort of Archie Bunker situation, where you have a super anti-racist left wing actor playing a horrible lumpenprole racist mostly as mockery, but then other lumpen racists love the character and think he's the hero of the show. Nick's character became the same sort of thing, but for conservative libertarians.
I didn't even mean politically. I meant this weird cult of propping Offerman himself up as this hyper-masculine father figure because he's butch, has a great sense of humor, and woodworks. I watched some of his stand-up with my friends and we turned it off 15 minutes in because it was like listening to an uncle give us life advice. It's in that same general area as "bacon for all meals cause man" and "if your hands aren't calloused/you don't have a full beard you aren't really a man" crap that starts out mostly ironic but is co-opted by meatheads almost immediately.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Everything with UK and US versions, the UK version seems like an amateur hour production.
I found the first series of Being Human much better than the first season of Being Human.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

If we're gonna keep talking about shows for Middle Schoolers: Yu Yu Hakusho > Dragonball Z

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Honestly as a huge unashamed cocksucker cheerleader for Marvel adaptations half my life... All the Marvel TV stuff are varying degrees of bad.

I don't mean that in some "inaccurate to the comics" poo poo. I mean they are bad stories badly told, which is frustrating because I think they have a great casting department.

The Defenders is going to blow, but I'm going to watch anyway because gently caress it. I never thought I'd see the day.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I don't know I hated Fisk (that voice) and Electra, whom I've never ever found interesting. Punisher and Kilgrave were good, but even then I whine because I hate superhero properties that get taken over by the villains.

At the bottom of it I just find poorly written stories executed with mediocrity despite having the cast, concepts, and budget to do a lot more.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's all about the voice. The forced gravel did not work for me at all. I get what they were going for but it made him sound very nonthreatening and not in a "he's so badass people are scared of him regardless" way. Too much baby, not enough man.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I learned everything I needed to know about snobbery from Caddyshack.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jastiger posted:

Texting and driving laws are stupid as hell. Its ok to eat and drive? Make up apply and drive? Google maps and drive? But not text, thats too far. We would all be safer if wr didnt bit the application of the law is poo poo.
Well, practically speaking a cop can pull you over for any real reason they want including every valid reason you said (and label your examples under something akin to "distracted driving"). The sticking point is the enforcement and holding up whatever they charge you with via the word of law as interpreted by the local judicial bodies and any appeals courts above. Texting and driving just gets banner status because "the youngs" are doing it.

My PHUO along these lines is that automakers finally need to start making dedicated smartphone holders in their cars, legislatures need to allow this to happen without penalizing automotive companies for "encouraging distracted driving" or what have you, and smartphone makers like Apple and Google need to come up with viable voice-activated software specifically for driving (we're close, but as it stands I can't open my phone and open a music app or text app solely via voice and that is a loving problem). People are all doing it. It's not ok. But it's happening. gently caress all the fear of liability and start forging for real solutions.

Can't help with the makeup and eating though.

quote:

Actually yes you CAN judge parents by what their kids do to a certain point.
Oh gently caress yeah. I look at my parents, my aunts and uncles, and their kids. There are definite correlations between the parents' shortcomings and how all the kids turned out.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I like how we'll trust them to run the country, but not want to stand behind them in a grocery line.

It's a good thing they get driven everywhere as elected officials anyway :v:

For real though I don't agree with the pity for our President. I can see the sympathetic logic, but I think it only goes as far as the end of the silver spoon in his mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I respect your point Whitlam and agree. I especially appreciate your argument about not offering drunk-driving classes, and that driving is a privilege where sacrifices must be made to reap the benefits. I hadn't thought of it like that.

My point was more that automakers, legislatures, and smartphone makers all have an ethical obligation to fix the overall problem of texting while driving... but no one will because it requires multiple public and private bodies to band together for a common good where any one of them can be held liable for damage at the drop of a hat and there is minimal obvious profit motive... which is absurd because the problem of texting while driving isn't going to go away no matter how many "people shouldn't loving do it"s get said. You have to go out and buy a drink as an elective activity. A smartphone and texts are in the top three, if not the top form of communication in the developed world. You can't realistically minimize the access on a broad scale so thus the best solution is to mitigate how the access is handled. This problem is solvable for the majority populace-- docks in cars with improved voice activation--but it won't be done and that's serious bullshit.