Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«18 »
Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

If you think well done steak is objectively wrong but you like crispy bacon, you are a fool and a hypocrite. Overcooked meat is overcooked; either acknowledge that different tastes are equally valid or stop ruining your bacon.

Grandmother of Five posted:

3) mandatory voting is stupid for all of the above reasons, and the only reason people seek to implement it is 1) because they mistakenly think that the silent & disenfranchised masses is on their side, or 2) to get a high-voter turn-out that makes it look like people aren't disenfranchised despite voting now being under the threat of being fined.
The main positive effect that I can see is that it encourages people to choose the lesser of two (or more) evils rather than apathetically not voting because no candidate is perfect. In the recent American election, for example, there were a lot of people who, if pressed, would almost certainly have been able to say that one candidate was undoubtedly worse than the other, but voted for neither.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Most of classical music is boring and the people who claim to enjoy it only do so to appear sophisticated.
Thinking that just because you don't like something therefore no one does is incredibly childish. I'm sure there are people who claim to enjoy classical music for the sake of looking sophisticated, but there are many more people who actually enjoy it as a genre.

Personally, I think Bach is overrated, but that's just me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

bad boy in the boy band posted:

Selfies are the downfall of our society. Nobody loving cares about the 100th picture of you at the grocery store. I have taken exactly zero selfies in my life and I can't think of a situation in which I will ever take one. Nobody gives a poo poo that I got a haircut, I'm in a different city, or I just felt like taking a picture of myself, and I don't give a poo poo about yours, either.
Complaining about "selfies" like as though they're a new phenomenon and not the absolute first thing a camera was ever used for is incredibly dumb. People like taking pictures of themselves and always have. Before cameras were invented, people who could afford it got artists to paint them. Half the reason mirrors exist is just so we can look at ourselves for no more reason than we want to.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

They didn't commission 70 portraits of themselves eating a croissant though.
Only because it would have been completely impractical and too expensive even for rich people.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

that was also what turned me off of Twitter. 95% of the posts I saw were on the lines of "I just had lunch it was good!" or "my dog pooped and it was adorable!" Like yeah mundane poo poo happens to all of us all day every day. Please don't make four posts about the sub you had at Subway.
I never see anything like that on Twitter at all. I think people who have this complaint are using the site wrong, treating it like a social networking site rather than a blogging site, and it's terrible as a social networking site because it's not set up to be one at all. You follow people who write things you want to read, not people you know.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

Jastiger posted:

Changing behavior or appearanced to appease grandma or dad or uncle whoever to avoid conflict is dumb as hell, especially if you're hosting. The idea that you have to change to avoid conflict is cowardly
Making minor sacrifices to get along with people you can't avoid: cowardly.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

White bread is not universally the sweet stuff you get if you buy like Wonderbread etc. There are plenty of freshly baked white breads that taste fine and are just as good as the bread you can get everywhere else, right in your American supermarket if they have a bakery.
Even good white bread is not as good as wholemeal.

doverhog posted:

Only major dumbos refer to bread by the colour instead of saying, rye bread, oat bread, etc.
So how do you differentiate between white and brown/wholemeal bread that are both made of wheat?

ANUSTART posted:

white or wheat bread
Now this is dumb. White bread is also made of wheat.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

doverhog posted:

I mean I guess the US has a specific type of bread that's called "white", fine. But isn't that just wheat bread?

In Australia white bread is made of white flour and wholemeal bread is made of wholemeal flour. Wikipedia suggests that the same distinction is made in America.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

the Saint's Row series is overall more fun then the GTA series has ever been.

If this is an unpopular opinion, it shouldn't be. GTA is always getting in its own way, showing you fun toys and then arbitrarily withholding them from you. Giving you cool cars and then making you choose between having them and using them. Encouraging you to get into all-out gunfights and then making you play them slowly and methodically for fear of the tedium of having to redo a bunch of stuff. Creating a setting full of jokes and then giving you a protagonist without a sense of humour. Making cool things to interact with and forcing you to do them rather than letting you have fun on your own terms. GTA games always seem like a lot of fun until you actually play them.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

PHUO: Voice mail is a cool and good way to convey information. If I leave you one, you should listen to it!

Related: If you phone me and I miss your call, you should leave a message. How hard is it to just say who you are and why you're calling?

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

I think most people with those opinions just aren't watching things filmed in those resolutions. Like for a while with HD, pretty much everything besides sports was non-HD and looked not so great, but when you watch things designed to take advantage of your TV's capabilities it looked great. I definitely saw a trend where people bought the 1080p giant flatscreens for thousands of dollars the year they were coming out and were very disappointed, whereas people who waited a few years for things to catch up with the technology thought it was great. I assume the same thing is happening with early purchasers of 4k stuff.

On the other hand, I saw some TVs in a shop recently playing a normal DVD and it looked absolutely awful because the picture was too low-res for the TV. Maybe there was some option they had set wrong, but it was definitely not a good ad for new TVs.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

men and women can be friends

I can't imagine what sort of life would lead someone to disagree with this.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

TNG is the best Trek series, and ... is at its best when its episodic.
Agreed. The best way to watch Star Trek is to start with season 2 of TNG and skip all the Borg episodes (and never watch any of the other shows or movies). There's still some bad episodes in the mix, but you'll eliminate the worst without losing much.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Pierce Brosnan is the best James Bond there's been (but he only had one good movie and one okay movie).

Pierce Brosnan is the best James Bond, but "best" is a relative term and all James Bonds are actually terrible.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is this a "perfect is the enemy of the good" thing?

No, it's an "overly simplistic analogies are dumb" thing.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

I legitimately like the Warhammer 40k setting and story. Not because it's Hard Men Making Hard Decisions, not because it's a way to indirectly say you like fascism. I like it because it's a grand tragedy.

The galaxy is hosed from a variety of angles, and if ~this~ or ~that~ happened differently, it could've resulted in something better. But what's done is done; every side is fighting against the dying of the light as much as they can.

The 40k setting is great because it's completely impossible to take seriously and everything seems like it was created by a team of ten-year-olds one-upping each other.

OK, so I've come up with a character. He's a marine, but in space.
That's cool, but what if he was 9 feet tall?
And he's got a flamethrower.
And a sword.
No, a sword that's a chainsaw!
And he's part robot!
And there's skulls all over the place.
And they're on fire!

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

Countries where seasons don't start at the beginning of the month are dumb. Seasons are pretty much arbitrary anyway so you may as well make it convenient and start them at fixed three month intervals on the first of the month.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

They're based on the Earth's rotation, which seems anything but arbitrary.
They're divisions of the year, but so are months, and there's no reason we couldn't have more or fewer of either.

bradzilla posted:

Seasons are not even remotely arbitrary and happen because of the Earth's position relative to the sun, hth
Changes in the weather happen because of the Earth's position. Seasons are just the names we give to arbitrary divisions of the year.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

bradzilla posted:

We said the exact same thing about seasons but you still don't know what arbitrary means lol. Seasons are not a random occurrence.

Fister Roboto posted:

Seasons aren't arbitrary at all. They're based on the amount of sunlight. On the equinoxes, you get 12 hours of sunlight and 12 hours of night. The summer solstice is the longest day, and the winter solstice is the longest night. This is true no matter where you are on the planet.
Oh, I get it. You guys don't realise that seasons start at different times in different countries. Some countries choose (arbitrarily) to base it on the equinoxes. Other countries choose (also arbitrarily) to base it on calendar months. I like the calendar month system better because it doesn't require me to know what or when an equinox is.

Beige posted:

If you're going to argue against arbitrary calendar events why don't you bitch about daylight savings?
I do? I hate daylight saving time and wish we'd get rid of it forever.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

That's still not what arbitrary means.

Arbitrary: having only relative application or relevance; not absolute.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

What backwards rear end country says that Spring doesn't start on the vernal equinox?

wikipedia posted:

In 1780 the Societas Meteorologica Palatina (which became defunct in 1795), an early international organization for meteorology, defined seasons as groupings of three whole months as identified by the Gregorian calendar. Ever since, professional meteorologists all over the world have used this definition.

In Sweden and Finland, meteorologists use a non-calendar based definition for the seasons based on the temperature. Spring begins when the daily averaged temperature permanently rises above 0 C, summer begins when the temperature permanently rises above +10 C, summer ends when the temperature permanently falls below +10 C and winter begins when the temperature permanently falls below 0 C.

some countries like Australia, New Zealand, and Russia prefer to use meteorological reckoning.

Some calendars in south Asia use a six-season method where the number of seasons between summer and winter can number from one to three. The dates are fixed at even intervals of months.
In the Hindu calendar of tropical and subtropical India, there are six seasons or Ritu that are calendar-based in the sense of having fixed dates: Vasanta (spring), Greeshma (summer), Varsha (monsoon), Sharad (autumn), Hemanta (early winter), and Shishira (prevernal or late winter).

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

Do most people have personal memories of believing in Santa and that being good? Because I can't remember that far back, so all I've got is memories of knowing that Santa wasn't real but that you shouldn't say that because adults seemed to be really invested in kids believing it for some reason. As far as I can remember, it's never seemed like a good thing to me.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

Star Wars isn't nearly interesting enough of a concept/universe to deserve as many movies as it is getting. Same with Star Trek and the endless series and movies. Stargate SG-1 was much more interesting and realistically handled (in terms of the military running things instead of a bunch of space monks or peaceful do-gooders, at least), and while it had a good long run, I'd rather be seeing endless reboots of that instead of star wars/trek.
The military runs everything in all of those.

Blue Star posted:

Science fiction is ... inherently regressive in its politics.
No it isn't. Like every genre, it's written by lots of different people with different perspectives and agendas. If you find "all of sci-fi" homogeneous then you have only been exposed to a very small fraction of what's out there.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

They go out of their way to not act like a military, and go out of their way to distinguish themselves from "war-like" races. In DS9 for example they only have one "warship" (even though they could easily make more), despite the fact that their enemies have hundreds. With every other ships the weapons/shields are more of an afterthought.
They have tons of warships. They just also use them as transport and research ships because they're really dumb.

In star wars they are just religious fanatics that sometimes fight, but that is not their primary function.
Oh yeah, they carry swords around everywhere and are the military leaders because they hate fighting so much.

Jerry Cotton posted:

You're defining sci-fi in a way that makes it a useless phrase. (Sci-Fi is a sub-set of fantasy anyway .)
"Sci-fi" is a useless term, regardless of how you define it (because no one else will ever agree with you on what you're actually talking about).

The only famous actors star wars has are only famous because they were in star wars. yeah i'm including harrison ford in that
Peter Cushing? Alec Guinness? And that's just the first one, the prequels especially had a bunch of already famous actors in them.

also I think they are planning reboot(s) of the original movie, but from what I heard the original movie guy is involved and wants it to ignore everything that was established in SG-1/atlantis so I am expecting it to be terrible.
I enjoyed SG-1 and Atlantis, but the original movie was the best Stargate thing by far.

sci-fi and fantasy should be considered settings, not genres. that goes for other genres that only define the setting and not the narrative; like westerns and other period pieces. these genres are often and rightfully considered trashy because great literature transcends their setting instead of being defined by it.

genres like; comedy, horror & drama actually says something worthwhile about the narrative of a work. it seems weird imo to place emphasis on setting rather than narrative in defining genre, and i think that the focus on setting over narrative is essentially what world-building is, and authors that place a high emphasis on it will place less emphasis on character and story development.
Regardless of how you define them, genres are ambiguous, arbitrary, overlapping, reductive and a generally terrible way of classifying anything. The whole concept of genre is dumb and pointless.

Sorry, you're stuck with either ice planet, desert planet, or swamp planet. Or space station. That's it.
The absolute best bit of SG-1 was when one of the characters makes a desperate escape through a stargate only to end up on an "ice planet" that turns out to be Earth, a possibility that doesn't occur to her because almost every planet in Stargate has only one environment/climate over its entire surface.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

Tarantula posted:

News shouldn't give up time for sports
I find it really weird that newspapers and TV news shows have sports segments. It's like if they had a whole segment recapping whatever happened on TV last night. It's entertainment, not news. If I want to watch it, I'll watch it, not read about it later.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

The best that can be said of any pixel art is that it's "pretty good, considering the limitations". If you're making a low-budget game and that's how you cut costs, fine, totally reasonable, but people who talk about these retro-style games having "gorgeous pixel art" or whatever hyperbole they use to describe it are hopelessly deluded.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Not really. From like 1996-2001 there was abnormally large amount of poo poo music being made and not a whole lot stuff that holds up. I'd like to hear what you would consider really good from that era.
I skimmed through my music collection and came up with some names: Cake, Sheryl Crow, The Waifs, Aqua, Spice Girls, The Whitlams, Beastie Boys, Mary Gauthier, No Doubt, TLC, Colin Hay, Barenaked Ladies, Garbage, Shaggy.

Some of those were obviously around before that period, but they were still making good music at that time. And obviously you might not agree that they're good, but I still like all of them as much or more than I did then.

gleebster posted:

Until the advent of recorded and later, broadcast music, I think lots of people didn't care for music at all, or only cared very little, and it would be a good thing if society found a way back to that.
Leaving aside whether or not people liked music before the technology to record it existed (they did), why would that be good?

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Also lol 90% of those artists in tiggums post, just reinforcing my statement.
You've basically set yourself a position that's impossible to argue with, because no matter what examples anyone gives you can just say "but I don't like those", and you could do that with any time period (or genre or whatever other criteria you like). But it's a pretty pointless statement to make because all you're saying is "I personally don't like some things". No one here knows what music you do like so it's basically impossible to give counter-examples. If you want to make a more widely applicable point, then maybe give some examples from 1990-1995 an 2002-2007 and say why you think those are better than the music of '96-'01?

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

i can sympathise with this to the extent that it would be nice to see higher conviction rates and more focus on these types of crimes, but there needs to be a very strong correlation between a punishment that restricts areas of work and the crime comitted; like paedophiles not being allowed to work with children.

as far as an unpopular opinion goes; crimes shouldn't be punished outside of the criminal justice system. it doesn't really matter how heinous the crime is, it isn't the job of individual citizens, other inmates, private corporations or shareholders to punish crime, and restricting access to work is a very serious punishment. once time is served, former criminals ought to be able to enter the work-force on equal footing with everyone else; it is perhaps the single most important issue when it comes to rehabilitation. these restrictions should be court mandated and not left to the discretion of individual employers.

I agree in general, but for high-profile jobs, especially those where the person is promoted as a role model, it's a different story. You can't say "This guy is great, we all love him and you should too, he's a hero to children, and also he's a rapist but please ignore that!"

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

spit on my clit posted:

cracked would be better if they did things other than lists

They do.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

Video game stories are incredibly dull. I skip through any cinematics that let me and just want to beat the thing.
If a game has unskippable dialogue or cutscenes then it had better be the best, most fun game ever to make up for making me sit through that dumb, pointless bullshit.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

Pick posted:

Audiophiles are crazy, but to be honest most people listen to their music on completely dogshit speakers and seem to be weirdly okay with that.
This drives me insane. My parents have a TV that's hooked up to a stereo, but they usually just use the TV speakers, which are so bad that you have to have the volume twice as loud just to understand what anyone's saying. My sister will listen to music through her laptop speakers instead of plugging in the cable that's sitting right there and listening through the stereo. She says she can't hear the difference.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Standard, inexpensive desktop computer speakers sound just fine.
They do, until you get used to better ones, and then you can never go back.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

My unpopular opinion is that I enjoy dumb game plots/cut-scenes while fully understanding that they are dumb and written poorly. A good example is the game Final Fantasy X. The plot is pretty dumb and has a ton of melodrama, but I love melodrama (as long as it's not too ridiculous) and dumb plots that keep escalating until the entire world is at stake.
If it's dumb and knows it that's usually fine. If it's something like the Deus Ex series where it's really dumb but takes itself so, so seriously, I'm definitely skipping that.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

Wine is never a pleasant addition to a meal in my opinion.
I never eat and drink at the same time. I'll have a drink before a meal and/or after a meal, never during. If someone offers me a drink with my meal, I may accept, but I'll wait till I'm done eating to drink it.

Das Boo posted:

Give me your goddamn vodka. Good, bad, I don't give a gently caress. I will drink the poo poo out of it.
Drink this, I dare you.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

Tiggum, I genuinely like you, but I'm trying to imagine you drunk and I'm getting a loving divide-by-zero error

Um, OK? I guess I'm different to how you imagine me then. It's nice that you like me though.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

Field Mousepad posted:

So what happens if you're eating something super dry like biscuits or crackers or something? You just tough it out until you're finished?

I've never had this problem.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

I'm not surprised to hear you don't eat biscuits.

I don't know if you're using the American or English definition of biscuits, but I do eat crackers and scones, I just don't find that they cause me any problem to eat. I don't "tough it out", I just eat them.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

If you're going to have a cooked breakfast (and it's not just whatever you already have in the fridge) the only choice is full English. The specifics (like, do you include spinach? Fried tomato?) are down to taste and availability, but the core concept of meat, eggs, toast and your choice of extras is perfect. My ideal version is bacon, sausage, scrambled egg, toast, mushrooms, baked beans, cup of tea & a beer.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Does anyone actually drink Tonic water straight?
Sure, if I've run out of gin but there's a bit of tonic water left in an open bottle.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

I had a similar reaction to Napoleon Dynamite, which people in general seem to love and I just couldn't stand because the main character is such a completely unlikeable tool.
I didn't like that movie because it's just not funny or entertaining in any way.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Has anyone seen that Outdoors show? It may be the worst thing I've ever seen. And Stephen Fry is horrible in it.
I watched one episode and it seemed to be literally just an entire show of "Hey, aren't millennials dumb and entitled and terrible in every way?" It did make me realise that there's this weird thing where a boomer's idea of millennials is exactly the same as a millennial's idea of boomers; lazy, entitled, always waving their selfie sticks around, caring about participation trophies, completely disengaged with the real world.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Tangled was good.
I watched that movie and you're wrong. Explain to me, what is the purpose of Flynn Rider? He's a thief who betrays his friends, he doesn't help Rapunzel in any way (since she has magic hair that lets her do anything), the closest he comes to redemption is deciding that he actually likes Rapunzel (but he doesn't make amends for any of the bad things he's done) and then at the end he gets to live in a castle, which was what he wanted at the start of the film. What's the message of this film? You can be a dick to everyone and still end up getting everything you ever wanted?

Also, the Gothel is a weird villain. She's minding her own business when some selfish arsehole steals her magic flower. She tries to get the magic back without harming anyone, but finds out the only way is to kidnap Rapunzel (and if she doesn't get the magic, she dies). But then she raises Rapunzel as a daughter and keeps her safe, because she has good reason to believe (and is absolutely right) that if people found out about her they'd try to kidnap her and steal her magic. And then she gets brutally murdered by a comic relief sidekick.

Basically, terrible people get everything they want and there's no one who's actually a particularly good person in the entire film. Even Rapunzel's not really good, since she doesn't have any opportunity to make any kind of moral decision.

bean_shadow posted:

I will be really disappointed if it turns out he left QI for it.
Fry leaving was great for QI, it's a better show for it.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

WampaLord posted:

You can't use "fear of death" as a motivation factor, everyone's afraid to die but the rest of us don't go around kidnapping innocent people to stay forever young. Also she does not "keep her safe" she shelters the gently caress out of her in an extremely unhealthy way.
I'm not saying Gothel is the good guy. Like I said, there really aren't any in that film. I am saying that she doesn't do anything bad (that we know of) until the king steals her magic flower that she needs to live. Stealing babies is wrong and you shouldn't do it. But stealing someone's life-support system is definitely worse.

bean_shadow posted:

Yes, Stephen Fry was a terrible host. That's why QI was cancelled after only one season.
That isn't what I said at all.

I just think he'd been host too long and I was getting sick of him. I hadn't had much enthusiasm for the show for the last couple of years, but the change of host rekindled my interest and I've really enjoyed the current season.

hard counter posted:

besides, tho sandi is pretty good as a host it's not like she isn't afraid to cut someone down like a tree if their goofy anecdotes/answers get a little too ignorant; i'm sure she's a sharp, sophisticated lady irl as well but since she'll do silly for the sake of the show we may even get to see her light a fart one day despite being a little contrary
Not likely, since she claims that she has never once farted in her entire life.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

A life-support system is an artificial life extending device. Those mean the same thing. And it really doesn't matter if someone's 60 or 600, if they've got something they need to live and you just take it away, you're a murderer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

Jastiger posted:

I think ive even posted it in this iteration of the thread, but eugenics is actually good.

I think I recall from the last time this came up, you're actually using a really non-standard definition of eugenics, so what you think you're saying is "we should develop medical technology to test embryos for genetic disorders" but what everyone else is hearing is "I'm a Nazi".

«18 »