Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Clerks is a pile of poo poo that's only funny to idiot stoners, and it's by far his best movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

thetoughestbean posted:

horror is fine (although not for me), but horror fans are either super chill or ridiculously pretentious and there's no inbetween

That's not true.

Some of them are edgelords who jerk off to gore.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Slasher movies are 100% garbage. The reason they all try to be tongue-in-cheek now is because they haven't come up with an original idea in 40 years and think sly winks at the tired tropes of the genre will be enough to cover up for being the exact same thing everyone has seen a hundred times before.

Zombie movies are also 100% garbage that have absolutely nothing interesting to say. And before some tries to :smug: "actually zombies are a satire of consumerism" - no they aren't, they were (maybe) in one lovely move from the 70s. In every other case they are just dumb monster bullshit for people who think throwing buckets of red paint around is the same thing as a plot.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

"why yes i would like to use a spyware-riddled app developed by techbros whose entire business model is tracking my every movement and selling the data to a giant evil megacorp just because i'm too lazy to get half way out of my chair to reach the light switch."

- every single IoT user

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Also you need to change your entire IoT infrastructure every 9 months because the manufacturer went bust and the app only worked on last-gen phones.

...and by "manufacturer" I mean four MBAs who were less interested in making a working product and more interested in cosplaying as businessmen by calling themselves CEO/CTO/CFO/CIO.

Sweevo has a new favorite as of 23:30 on Mar 21, 2021

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Shibawanko posted:

i miss schools being somewhat edgy places

i teach in a place where all the kids are basically nice, there might be some bullying here and there but it's usually of the sneaky, under the table lame kind. there are no subcultures. kids participate in the crappy school theatre production without someone opening the door and shouting mean words at the performers, like in my school when i was a kid

i have fond memories of my high school and i think in particular it was because it felt somewhat dangerous at times, like every day was kind of exciting because the school bully was an actual neo nazi with a leather jacket and greased-back hair dyed pure white, most of the teachers, looking back, hilariously sucked at their jobs, many of them were authoritarians who would do things like call their students names or invented weird punishments, so as a student it was fun to challenge them and get sent to the principal's office. i don't exactly want this for children and i don't think it "builds character" or whatever nonsense but this is what school is like in my mind and it's weird seeing a school where everything is harmonious and kind of dull

Ok boomer.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

If accounts are to be believed then the Olympics is a giant orgy, so the athletes are nude all the time except for during the actual events.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Boxing is two meatheads thumping each other in order to determine whose dick is the least tiny.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

David Bowie was a mediocre musician who somehow made a career out of jumping on whatever musical bandwagon was popular and adding nothing to it. His music is not interesting in any way, and I don't understand why anyone gave a poo poo about him.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

fizzymercury posted:

Is it okay that I read everything Douglas Adams wrote about the universe, re-listen to all the radio shows, watch the show and movie, and then read the extended HHGttG stuff annually? Then I do all that again but Dirk Gently. I don't want anyone to think I'm a nerd or something horrible.

I just want to see where I'm at on the real literature star chart.

Above people who read Star Trek novels, which is all that really matters.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Weddings would be more fun if it was socially acceptable to just leave when you got bored. But as it is people are expected to turn up before noon for a 2pm ceremony that lasts 10 minutes, then hang around for four hours before dinner, then for another 4-6 hours because everyone is terrified of being the first to leave. This is fine when it's your sister, or your best friend getting married, but I resent giving up an entire day for some third cousin I only see at family wedding/funerals, or someone my girlfriend was vaguely friends with at school.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

The only thing google cares about is showing you ads. If those ads happen to be on pages related to what you searched for then that is entirely coincidental.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Solice Kirsk posted:

His biggest sin is Jay's Garage being boring. I would love to just to walk around his garage and have him tell me little bits about all of the awesome cars he has, but for some reason Jay's Garage is the most boring show despite having all the coolest/most unique cars.

Oh god this. He tells the same lame jokes over and over, completely glosses over any kind of interesting technical information, and any time he has to speak to someone else you can literally see his eyes glaze over and he just stands there going "uh-huh, yeah, hmmmm, uh-huh..." while he's waiting for it to be his turn to speak again.

Sweevo has a new favorite as of 19:48 on Apr 14, 2021

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

The Dark Knight is boring and over-long and people have convinced themselves it was better than it actually was just because Heath Ledger died.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

When people talk about wanting a strong sense of local community then 95% of the time it's a dog-whistle for "...and keep 'those' people out"

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Jeza posted:

Is there any in-depth nerd explanation for why an ostensibly French starship captain is eye-wateringly British in habits and mannerisms?

"gently caress you, i'm not doing an accent!" - Patrick Stewart

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

This is the unpopular opinions thread, not "Post The Truth"

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Podcasts don't need to spend 3 minutes explaining how to download the podcast.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

thetoughestbean posted:

I have come to despise fiction with Harry Potter-esque settings where there’s around four different groups for readers to easily slot themselves into, especially when each group is defined by having a few key personality traits like they’re zodiac signs. It’s lazy world building that encourages overly-simplistic worldviews

I forget the exact quote, but there was a tweet to the effect of "According to Hogwarts all children are either brave, clever, evil, or boring".

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Shibawanko posted:

"world building" sucks rear end because if you must have a world that's different from our own in your story it's nearly always better to just have it be implied

I remember watching a Tolkien documentary once (it was either when the first movie came out, or may have been the 50th anniversary of LOTR). One of the people interviewed had worked for a publisher since the 60s and joked that Tolkien was the worst thing that ever happened to him, because about once a month he'd get a manuscript from some Tolkien wannabe that arrived in a crate. In the crate would be dozens of maps, dictionaries for made up languages, paintings of swords, fabric swatches for every outfit every character wears, family trees, "concept art", models of castles, etc. Then shoved in the bottom would be ~200 pages of cliched drivel so bad even vanity publishers would reject it.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

"Guys you're doing it wrong, you're only allowed to like the things I like and everything else is dumb and for idiots!"

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Josef bugman posted:

I've not seen Dr Who since I was about... I want to say 19? But it seemed relatively inoffensive back then. Has it really become so rubbish now?

It's a silly family-friendly show and people who used to like it are pissed because it didn't grow up with them and be all grimdark and edgy

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Indie games are the only place you will ever see new ideas, instead of Generic AAA FPS part #28672

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

fizzymercury posted:

People who brag about being in the gifted and talented program as adults are the worst kind of people and they're always in denial about how dumb they are.

Always. Every last one of them. Is a moron.

HR woman at work told me every single application that mentions Mensa goes straight in the bin.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Alien civilisations are everywhere but we don't see each other because they were at their height while we were in the middle ages or they're still burning witches and can't hear our radio signals.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Fashionable Jorts posted:

PHUO; while I appreciate the hard work, talent, and skill that goes into them, oh boy am I tired of these over-choreographed fight scenes in everything. Every main character in any movie that's slightly action-y has to be able to do three flips and seven elaborate counter moves per fight. While its easy to blame Marvel for this (oh wow has Loki been stuff full of it), its been in a lot of movies and its getting to be exhausting to watch.

Characters moving out of the way of things that haven't happened yet, and having super-human reflexes in general ruins every single action scene.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Robobot posted:

Remember, Roy Orbison also had that same kind of "bad boy" image. Back in the day being wrapped entirely in cling film is all it took to look rebellious.

:golfclap:

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

There are crash test videos on Youtube of old 50s cars being smashed into their modern equivalents and the comments are hilarious because they're full of 70yr olds crying about how the test must be unfair because the lovely boomermobile folded in half and put the steering column through the driver's face while the modern car just crumples a bit.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Shibawanko posted:

"languages always change so every change is fine and natural" is bullshit. languages have historically changed gradually through things like dialects, contact with other languages, new words being invented for new concepts or borrowed from other languages, it was a gradual process with a plurality of sources tied to specific groups and geographical areas which led to increasing richness of expression. twitter language just makes every person sound like the same dullard participating in the same boring conversations and destroys actual communication

"Shakespeare made up words because he was a genius, but when anyone I don't like does it it's the downfall of civilisation."

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The only thing less interesting or meaningful than generational categorization is astrology.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

PHUO: There is too much Christmas.

Once every 2-3 years would be better.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Manager Hoyden posted:

Hey if it helps things get back to normal I don't think it's too much to ask that they scooter their gravy asses down to the clinic to get a shot

*Every single vaccination centre within 10 miles of a minortiy is suddenly moved to a location not accessible by public transport and only open 11-3 on alternate Wednesdays*

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Josef bugman posted:

The mission was impossible. Should I blame you for not being able to piss out the sun if I tell you to do it?

Is there a Sun-Pissers Day where people are expected to remember and respect all the people who tried?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Fashionable Jorts posted:

New PHUO that'd get me twitter cancelled: the meme of "vegans will always tell you they're vegan" needs to die and be replaced with pansexual people, since it more accurately applies to them these days.

A man has a heart attack on a plane. The cabin crew ask around to see if there is a doctor onboard. Suddenly a man at the back stands up and loudly exclaims "I own a Macbook!".

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Sit or stand, nobody cares.

But don't get on and then stand immediately inside the door so the 50 people behind you have to push past.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Slopping mayo over everything is the only culture they have.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

doverhog posted:

The best anime is Princess Mononoke, and any anti-anime people who would disparage it are just showing their ignorance.

I always preferred Nausicaa to Mononoke. It's basically the same story, but isn't 20 minutes too long.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Golf is so boring it makes baseball look interesting

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Manager Hoyden posted:

PHUO: The penny whistle is the finest instrument for the average person to own

1. It's easy to learn
2. You are culturally primed to respond emotionally to it (at least in the west)
3. It's small
4. You can get the best ones in the world for like thirty bucks

There are cooler instruments and there are better sounding instruments but I don't think you can beat the time/monetary cost to enjoyment ratio

Penny whistles are like unicycles, magic tricks, and juggling - only cool in the mind of the person doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Gripweed posted:

I agree about minimalism, it sucks and makes places decorated in that style look uncomfortable and uninviting. It's a style for people who want their homes to look like a magazine, but not a place they actually live.

It's for people with absolutely no personality who want their house to look like the inside of an apple store