Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I think tacos are overrated, stuff falls out, too much tomatoes usually. Burritos are always the superior option. I guess the only exception is fish tacos because i've never heard of a fish burrito (unless they are those sushirito abominations), but I'd rather have a fish sandwich than a fish taco anyway.

There’s a place by me that does an ahi tuna burrito that’s really good but it’s also Sixteen God drat Dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Henchman of Santa posted:

I enjoy him but he definitely comes off as a tool and he’s one of those guys whose musical imprint is so deep that every single band he’s involved with feels primarily like A Mike Patton Project.

Yeah, if you watch an interview with him he definitely seems to be up his own rear end quite a bit, but he’s undoubtedly incredibly talented. Even though he’s made some of my favorite music, a lot of stuff he makes is unapproachably weird for weirdness’s sake.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Straight White Shark posted:

The screeds weren't that long! You could read them way faster than it takes to sit through an entire streamed match that may or may not have anything interesting happen.

By gorb I am going to give that cloud what for dag nabbit

I would rather have text with some images over video any day. I read quickly, so I can get through a typewritten story faster than a video.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Imho work is like roommates - never move in with friends, and never get a job doing something you really enjoy, because doing/seeing the thing/person you like so long every day will poison it for you. Plus with a job there's the added "you must continue doing this or you will lose your home/etc" stress associated with it forever.

Hard agree. I actually do my old EMS job, with my old schedule, as a volunteer now and the stress level is way lower and I actually enjoy doing work that was frustrating the hell out of me when it was my full-time gig.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Kanine posted:

steven universe and rick and morty arent actually bad shows, the fans are just annoying

The fact rick and morty fans idolize rick and miss all the parts about how he’s a miserable gently caress, and most of all, he’s alone are so annoying. Yeah. Keep emulating that attitude and you’ll find some more to identify with.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Master Twig posted:

I know a woman who said "I had to take my daughter to the hospital" when talking about taking her cat to the vet.

She has 6 cats.

How many years worth of old newspapers does she have in her living room?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gripweed posted:

The saddest thing is when a not very good movie that doesn't do very well at the box office has a big sequel tease that you know will never be paid off.

Independence Day Resurgence comes to mind on that one.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

People give way too much weight to super old movies on their "best ___ movies" lists. It comes off as a smug purist type thing, like you aren't a true horror fan unless you like this list of "classics". I'm looking for something to watch that I haven't seen before, but not something as extremely out of my normal taste as something from the 1930s. It might be a classic but not what I'm looking for.

On the opposite extreme, any list that puts over-hyped new movies like "Hereditary" in the top 10 of their horror movie lists (basically every single one since it came out) loses all credibility. Why is it so hard to find lists that don't go back before the 80s and don't fall for the internet's flavor of the month movie so hard?

If you put Nosferatu on your list of best horror movies of all time, I know for a fact you’re full of poo poo. That was a really influential movie but going back to watch it is miserable.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Patrick Spens posted:

Count of Monte Cristo is rough, because after Dantes escapes from jail you have several chapters that are basically a Lonely Planet guide to Rome circa 1830 and the appeal of that has not held up at all. It really picks up after you get back to Paris, but getting there is a slog.

A lot of stuff like that really, really suffers from the fact it was serialized and the author was paid by the word. Charles Dickens is the worst for this.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Candy corn isn't great, but it's far from the worst halloween candy. That honor goes to those red candy with the hard shell and "strawberry" goo in the center, the ones with a strawberry wrapper. Also lovely saltwater taffy where half the stuff sticks to the paper so you have to tediously pick out the little bits of paper. Or just eat it. I had a friend who did that with waxy paper like that and it was gross, but they seemed to enjoy it :shrug: (also muffin/cupcake wrappers)

I don’t think you can buy those strawberry things, I think they just appear in your cabinets when you turn 70.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Who Is Paul Blart posted:

Honestly all holidays but New Years suck, they are forced fun and deviate from the routine. Just go to work assholes

I hate thanksgiving. I don’t like eating large amounts of food in one go and I also don’t like being stuck in a building with a bunch of my relatives. I actually deliberately got stuck at work there this year to avoid it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Gripweed posted:

Thanksgiving should be no later than the 26th. Miss me with this 28th bullshit.

The late-date wandering holidays always gently caress with my sense of time. Like Easter in late April, the gently caress is that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rainbow Knight posted:

There should be no more holiday celebrations except for the beginning of a new year and the end of an old year. It should just be a week-long party.

Add midpoint of the year for an excuse to have fireworks while it’s nice out and I’m sold.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

My neighbor's excuse is that the dog just knows how to open the door when it's unlocked. If you tell her to just lock the door, she tells you to gently caress off and mind your own business. My parents' dogs are small and stupid, whenever her monster pit bulls get out I have to pick up the dog and convince the dog that wants to eat mine to gently caress off, which is needlessly stressful. It's only the fear of going to jail that has kept those poorly cared for dogs alive.

I really don’t know why pits are so good at opening doors. I had a pit mix and he’d sleep in the living room... until about three am when he’d finagle my door open and jump up on my bed.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Solice Kirsk posted:

And try the jambalaya at Coop's while your out there. And go to Muriel's. And Antoine's. And Café du Monde.

Goddamnit. Now I'm gonna have to go back to New Orleans next year.

edit:
Commander's Palace is pretty neat too. Go. To. New. Orleans.

I really want to stay at the R Bar when I go. It’s a bar/hotel owned by the singer from the Afghan Whigs that has a haircut/shot special for 10 bucks on Mondays.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Solice Kirsk posted:

My PHUO is that I thought he ended The Dark Tower series really well. Song of Susannah really sucked, but Wolves was OK and I actually liked the last book.

1. Wizard and Glass
2. The Waste Lands
3. The Gunslinger
4. The Dark Tower
5. Wolves of the Calla
6. Drawing of the Three
7. Song of Susannah

Song of Susannah at least had that grocery store shootout in the 70’s that was pretty cool.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

False. The Gunslinger is a good start but not great. In a vacuum it's bad. There is very little conflict, no resolution.

Wizard and Glass is a very, very good western-style story. It is jarring in the progression of the books, but it's good. Anyone who claims this book is worse than things like song of susannah or wolves is delusional. It's just wrong.

Wizard and Glass has a pretty sharp divide, opinion wise, that seems to mostly be based around when you read it. If you read it when it came out, or relatively close to it, you likely hate it because it didn’t move the plot forward and was the last DT book to come out for years. If you read it closer to 5/6/7 that was less of a problem and it’s easier to appreciate the western story.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Its weird how much better Goldeneye is than ever single other Bond film all of which manage to be too dry, slow and serious.

The later Brosnan films go too far in the goofier/faster direction, at least as far as I remember. I basically blocked Die Another Day from my memory.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

aardwolf posted:

It's quite conclusively shown that Roland is an incredible shot. Do you honestly believe he couldn't have gone for disabling wounds on the kiddies? Why did he need to kill them? What was he afraid of? Was that prepubescent child who gave him directions to the "cafe" at Sheb's gonna bleed on him?

The whole point of that scene is that The Gunslinger is a horrific emotionless robot who very quickly defaults to the only one solution to a problem he knows / understands / trusts and I don't think you are supposed to be sympathizing with him at this point in the narrative :ohdear:

Disabling wounds... in a place that without actual medical knowledge? That would just be a crueler, slower death anyway.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
When I lived in NYC it was nice being able to take the subway anywhere, but less nice when you realized it would take a completely unpredictable but typically way too long amount of time. Or sometimes your R train would turn into a D train and drop you off in chinatown.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Who Is Paul Blart posted:

Video games should be banned, they are a destructive force and lead to violence. Every mass shooter from the past decade identified as a gamer and that isn’t a coincidence.

The Vegas shooter was a hardcore gambler but I don’t think that’s really in the same general sphere as video games.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Master Twig posted:

I really like Lizzo. I love her attitude and I think her message of unapologetic pride in who she is and her body positivity message is wonderful and needed.

But her music is unlistenably awful.

She’s too positive and it sketches me out. It’s like when someone always talks about how happy they are- you know who i never see constantly talking about how happy they are? Genuinely happy people.

But yeah, her music sucks, her voice is just hard to listen to. The first time I heard any of her stuff it was her NPR tiny desk concert and it was awful.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

I don't know almost anything about her and I've never heard her music, but everytime I see anything about her online it's just some stupid attention seeking poo poo and everyone calls her a hero/brave for it cause she's fat.

Her music is like that but higher pitched and to a beat, it’s obnoxious.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Solice Kirsk posted:

I remember stealing hundreds of dollars a day from my job so I could afford to build a computer that would run Morrowind at the highest settings. Me and my buddies stared at the water forever amazed that there were actually reflections in it! I just don't think that sort of thing is going to happen again anytime soon since graphics are quickly becoming more and more photo realistic it just seems like smaller and smaller steps from generation to generation.

It’s weird, the generational gaps look smaller each time when you’re upgrading, but if you go the other was and play a PS3 game now you’ll keep noticing how crappy everything looks comparatively.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
As far as bond movies go, I like Goldeneye and the Craig ones. Spectre wasn’t as good as Skyfall but it’s underrated IMO. I haven’t gone back and rewatched any of the pre-Brosnan ones in years, so I’m not sure if I’d enjoy them more now that I’m older.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

mind the walrus posted:

, Quantum of Solace,

How do I constantly forget this movie even exists until someone mentions it again?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
But, it’s also the Borg, who are basically an existential threat to organic life and are almost impossible to stop through conventional means.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I immediately thought of Third Eye Blind - Semi-Charmed Life upon reading this post

That ones about being hooked on meth, I think that qualifies as a real problem.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

doverhog posted:

If you stab them with a rapier they will be dead and there is no need for space or bashing.

What are you going to do while you wait for them to leak to death? Bleeding out takes time.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Solice Kirsk posted:

Also a guy with a .50 cal bolt action rifle can shoot down a 747.

This one is the dumbest because I’ve heard it spoken by an actual politician who said the bullet was “heat seeking”.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Lizzo sucks and her whole positivity thing feels fake to me in a “person trying to convince themself that they’re happy” kind of way.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jerry Cotton posted:

They're a performer. It's their job.

Yeah, but the people who latch on to it are obnoxious.

Her music is awful, it was in a bunch of ads on Hulu which finally pushed me to go ad-free on there.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Anyone that’s annoying enough to ignore is annoying enough to get quoted a dozen times a page, so it’s kind of a futile gesture anyway.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

doverhog posted:

Actually, the last person I put on ignore was pretty soon after banned for being too annoying. Bonus points for if you know who that was.

Twee As gently caress?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Rolo posted:

Aziz Ansari is annoying in everything he’s ever been in.

Jason Mantzoukas is another one that makes me want to turn off whatever I’m watching when he shows up. And he guest stars in so much stuff!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Master Twig posted:

I haven't cared for him in any of his acting rolls (except John Wick 3), but drat if he's not consistently hilarious in the podcast How Did This Get Made, and is one of the best regular guests on Comedy Bang Bang.

He’s fine on podcasts, actually- the first time I ever heard of him was on Comedy Bang Bang. He’s usually a little more reserved on those, though, when he’s on TV, though, he’s all 11 all the time and it overpowered everything else the show has going on.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

Either you're not in the car long enough to need any of these or you're going far enough that you can stop somewhere.

Or your car gets disabled somewhere and you’re stuck for hours, possibly up to a day. Or there’s bad weather and the same thing happens. Two years ago there was a really bad snowstorm right before thanksgiving and tons of people in the northeast got stuck in their cars for 4-12 hours, depending on where they were.

Hell, I keep a ton of work supplies in my car, there’s no reason for me to lug them up the stairs every day.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The Lorde cover of Everybody Wants to Rule The World was in a trailer for something and it was so bad. Like, yes, it’s a song with dark lyrics. When you make it all grim you’re getting rid of the way they contrast with the actual music of the song. Tears for Fears songs seem to get covered that way a lot and it annoys me, I have a weird unironic soft spot for their stuff.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

AlternateNu posted:

All food can be categorized as a soup, sandwich, or combination thereof.

“hosed as a soup sandwich” is my favorite way of saying someone is a mess of a human being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

AlternateNu posted:

Apple is a sorely underrated cooking ingredient. Especially Granny Smith apples.

I make a bunch of Japanese curry sometimes and grating half an apple in there is a game changer.