Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I dunno, I think comics can be a halfway point between film and literature. A good artist can elevate the text and unlike film, a good idea won't be so terribly hampered by budget. Illustrations and woodcuts used to be a fairly common feature in literature, so it's not like looking at an image immediately dumbs down the text. Rather, a decent artist will give you subtext through imagery that might otherwise require a lengthy description. And one of my pet peeves of literature is a writer who smothers a thought in words.
That said, there aren't a lot of comics I really love both in story and art. I do love Maus and Naoki Urasawa stuff and feel that moving either to film or pure text would (or did) detract from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
If your response to finding out there's no Santa Claus is to never trust your parents again, you were the only kid in the class who believed Billy's uncle worked at Nintendo.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The only movies I've seen worth seeing in 3D are all animated. 3D live action just draws my attention to the rift between CG and reality and yanks my suspension of disbelief right outta there.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The only Cracked article I legitimately remember was where the author tried old 40's/50's gelatin recipes, like tuna and pea mash Jell-O. He wrote the article as though he were slowly being driven insane and the ending became panicked schizobabble.
Otherwise yeah, I read them while waiting and forget them 15 minutes later.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I enjoyed Grand Budapest better than Birdman and wanted Ralph Fiennes to win that Oscar. He was a delight.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
All pot smells like skunk to me.
Also, I prefer folks vaping to pot, cigarette and cigar smoking. I haven't encountered the stereotype so I'm sure that has something to do with it, but I think I might choose jackassery over hosed lungs anyway. :(

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
CG effects have taken a turn in the last few years where everything's looking like high-end game graphics and I'm not really sure what's going on or why.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Solice Kirsk posted:

HD really hosed everything up.

Is that what it is? Well gently caress me, don't I feel silly! :doh:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Most of my troubles are with supremely fakey landscapes/sets. Way too much Alice in Wonderland-looking poo poo lately.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Sic Semper Goon posted:

With the all-consuming, utter fanaticism that weed smokers have for a plant, I'm honestly surprised they didn't mob you and burn the heathen at the stake.

Had some stoner literally and sincerely tell me that weed was a panacea, when I was in the city last week.

My SIL tried desperately to convince her son to stop chemo and just smoke weed and I could've clawed her eyes out. He handled it quite nicely for me by asking, " What the hell is wrong with you?" and dropping contact with her not long after. Also had to battle her regularly on no, weed is not good for my asthma and yes, it is possible for people to be allergic to it. It's a plant.

The holy crusade thing is really weird. Are there other drugs/hobbies that treat it as such?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Give me your goddamn vodka. Good, bad, I don't give a gently caress. I will drink the poo poo out of it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I sincerely don't know poo poo about vodka other than I like it. But I know I like "bad" rum, root beer and coffee, so maybe I'm just poo poo with drinks in general. :v:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Southern biscuits are the best biscuits regardless of your definition of a biscuit.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
All food is gross if you think about it too hard. Gravy is liquid animal fat, honey is bee vomit, Mushrooms grow on dead things, wine is rotten fruit and ground beef is cow mash.
If it tastes good and won't make me sick, I could give gently caress all.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm really irritated by the idea of "adult animation" in the States being a 15 year-old boy's definition of "adult" and people being totally okay with that.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I honestly think it'd be a good idea to make a children's film about coping with the idea that bad people sometimes go unpunished.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Duh, that's what Beauty and the Beast is for.

The... fairy? I take it?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Pick posted:

The man who runs the asylum.

Now I kinda wish there had been a post credits scene lavishly animating the death of Corpse Dude From That One Scene.
Missed opportunity, Disney.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
None of the above examples are about really dealing with a just world fallacy, though. The plot just kinda forgets about them.
Give me No Country for Old Men Jr., drat you!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Grandmother of Five posted:

i don't think that media for kids really need to be anything other than light-hearted fun that encourages learning and creativity. media for kids should be inclusive, by virtue of being non-discriminatory, though, but that's about it.

i'm having trouble imagining the theoretical child that would need to be told about how sometimes the world is unfair by a movie, because that child would somehow go through daycare, kindergarten and school without instances of feeling like they were ever unfairly treated.

Nah, you have plenty of kid's films that teach good life lessons that a lot of children's media unfairly enforces. Inside Out tells kids it's okay to be sad when most children's media tells them sadness needs to be "fixed." ParaNorman tells kids that returning cruelty with cruelty worsens things when most children's media tells them cruelty is good if it's against a "bad" person. Up tells kids that it's okay to move on from the loss of a loved one when most kid's media just shies away from loss or takes it from a perspective of vengeance equaling justice. These are all really good lessons that prepare kids for dealing with life.
I see a problem with enforcing the idea that the good guy always wins. You set up kids with the expectation that because they're "good" or "right," things will always go their way. When this inevitably turns out to be false, they become lost, furious, vindictive, feel lied to, etc. While it is up to the parents to communicate these ideas, media plays a massive role in everyone's development. This is why you have so many goddamn adults sincerely wondering why they weren't awarded fortune/acceptance/the woman/etc. when they're the "good guy." Media is constantly reinforcing this fantasy and it's one that should be nipped in the bud pretty early.

e: See- MegaMind touching on the idea of a "good guy" not immediately getting everything he wants. Only the "good guy" was actually a bad guy, so...

Das Boo has a new favorite as of 19:33 on Jan 7, 2017

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I like the stereotype of Americans being overly friendly and boisterous with strangers. It pisses the hell outta my BIL's German relatives and it's great.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Solice Kirsk posted:

I wanna go to Germany sometime this year. Are you saying that I shouldn't do the typical American greeting of a firm open hand slap to the rear end of same sex introductions? How the hell am I supposed to greet people then?

You grimace at them to let them know you're polite enough to acknowledge them, but not rude enough to assume you'd get along.

Intoluene posted:

Fixed that for you.

Naw, it might be a lesser known one but over-friendly with strangers is a legit stereotype. I've heard complaints about Americans smiling at strangers, acting too familiar, starting up conversations, etc. A lot of the complaints are Eurocentric, but I've heard them from Korean, Japanese and Indian friends, too. Thai, Dutch and Chinese folks seem to be pretty on-board, though.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Someone on here who worked in a service industry said he and his co-workers liked American tourists because they "tipped big and were genuinely impressed with anything more than 400 years old."

:3:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Fashionable Jorts posted:

We are entering an interesting future for humanity. Thanks to technology and healthcare, a lot of people are surviving previously lethal genetic traits, passing them on, and having those children survive. I'm not saying at all that humans living longer is a bad thing, just that we've managed to remove a very basic part of nature from ourselves; survival of the fittest.

So without eugenics, and since humans are garbage is guaranteed to end poorly, we need to "fix" ourselves with other means. Probably cybernetic enhancements. But unless we find a way to create synthetic organs and bodies for free the same day we figure out how to create synthetic organs and bodies, it will create such an unbelievable and unprecedented disparity the likes of which humans have never seen before.

I know it's a common and somewhat overplayed trope in sci-fi, but we would absolutely face a future where the rich are immortal superbeings, able to replace any damaged part of themselves on a whim, while the poors still require chemotherapy to take care of that pesky brain cancer.

No matter how the future of humanity plays out, it's going to result in awful people who will abuse it having access to it first.

Pretty much this, medical science is ultimately a large-scale, funded enterprise that yields to the highest bidder. When you develop a godly power, you can bet the only people with access to it are the immensely wealthy. Or if they can't benefit from it, they push to shut it down through legislation.

Science is pure, but not so the man conducting or funding it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I think I maybe watched them too late because they were all one and done for me. Never cared to watch Crystal Skull, not even before it came out and the hype train was rolling. :smith:
But I guess that's better than Star Wars, which I just hate.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Jastiger posted:

I would encourage a life insurance program that paid out for anyone that chose to terminate a defective pregnancy before a certain point. Defects would be things that are terminal and would result in early death or would prohibit adult status. It would be voluntary to go ahead or not, but i would incentivize not if its going to cause harm.

Drink during pregnancies and game the system.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Now if the Japanese could only figure out a way for sex robots to give birth, all their problems would be solved.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah, but then all of ours would begin. It would suck having the world violently taken over by a bunch of robots if I can't even speak their language.

Huh, it hadn't even occurred to me these dudes would want these robots to talk.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'd also hazard a guess it ties into their cultural views on women and age. 25+ is spinster zone for ladies in Japan. So you as a man are meant to focus solely on school until 18, then solely on uni until 22, then you have a 3 year zone to marry and after that, solely career until old age.

Will work! :downsbravo:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Twitter is an excellent tool for breaking news, amber alerts, and police, traffic and weather-related updates. It's banal for everything else.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It is also an excellent source of false and misleading information about rapidly developing situations. Too many news organizations don't emphasize enough that certain tweets are unverified accounts and treat them as fact, and then just pretend they never happen if/when they end up not being true.

And it should be up to news outlets to uphold journalistic integrihahahaa!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
My reason for liking fight scenes in movies and not wrestling is because films forcefully control the scope, speed and angles to make a fight scene look cool. Wrestling doesn't have the cinematography of a well-filmed fight scene. Likewise, poorly-filmed fight scenes are a goddamn slog.
I have a real hard time enjoying TV or movies I hate the look of, which is a surprisingly unpopular opinion.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The frequency of commercials on TBS drives me batty, so I can't fathom how sports fans deal with it. The Superbowl is about goddamn commercials.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Here's an unpopular opinion: Bars spook the poo poo out of me in a predatory way.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

veni veni veni posted:

If you are a woman I don't think that is really that unpopular. There is a reason women overrun gay bars and annoy the patrons every weekend.

I am, but it's expected for my age group and my industry that I mingle socially and it's more often than not in bars. It feels like a lot of the other girls have no problem with it and I'm the paranoid odd duck. :smith:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Jerry Cotton posted:

I've certainly noticed once you go in it's extremely difficult to get out.

You clever poo poo.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Sentient Data posted:

Trashbears are a fun idea, but they get into too much mischief

My mom is that lady kids take hurt/abandoned animals to, so I had a pet raccoon for a time growing up. He got along with the dogs and was pretty well-behaved, didn't tear things up. Better companion than the opossum.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Tiggum posted:

I'm not sure that "a better pet than an opossum" is a great endorsement.

This is definitively marked by the raccoon not hissing at movement.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I do not get Seinfeld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Tiggum posted:

To be fair, I haven't watched Seinfeld since it was actually on TV, so I could be wrong about it. But my brother loved it and I hated it and we have fairly consistently opposed tastes in comedy, so I'm not that likely to give it a second chance.

My sister had an episode on the other night and it prompted my initial thought. Everyone in-universe was obsessed with making another person share their food. Jerry broke up with a girl because she didn't try something off his plate, George lost a prospective job because he didn't try something off the plate of a guy he'd met for the first time. I asked her what the hell was up with this weird, invented conflict and she said I'd have to watch the show to get it.

Meanwhile the plot devices of AD work for me because "everyone reacts negatively to a socially-established mean/stupid thing someone did" makes a lot more sense to me empathetically than "everyone reacts negatively to someone not eating from their plate to the point of trashing the relationship." It's the sitcom equivalent of trying to predict the reactions of your off-his-meds bipolar friend, only he is everyone in the world.