Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

I got recommended his music because someone said I sounded like him, but I looked it up and all his songs are super offensive Nice Guy bullshit so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Aesop Poprock posted:

Gay Twink Monster Fish Outing looks pretty tight, but if I had to play an actual final fantasy game in 2017 to do it I'm out

Gay Twink Monster Fishing Outing is behind like bare minimum 6 hours of Final Fantasy slog and at least one melodrama cutscene about everyone dying and is also semi-hidden.

So basically it ain't worth it.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Das Boo posted:

Curious: When Gay Twink Monster Outing was announced, they said they wouldn't include a female character because "guys act different around giiiirls!" Obviously this game was not intended for me, so I never played it. But now I gotta wonder, how much Grab Them By The Pussy dialogue actually showed up with no girls around to spoil the good times?

It's pretty basic Final Fantasy writing with like an attempt at modern casual back and forth that pops up once every twenty minutes because it's ostensibly a bachelor roadtrip. The closest it comes to any kind of lewd dialogue is one member of the boy band has a crush on the female mechanic you meet at the beginning of the game, but it's straight up 'adult man acting like a fifth grader' with how insanely chaste it all is despite the mechanic character dressing in daisy dukes and a tied up shirt showing off her bra.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

bradzilla posted:

FFX's story is actually good but completely tainted by the horrendous early voice acting. The sphere grid owned too and made FFX the very peak of the ATB system.

Oh and to the guy who said "the Japan numbers," uhhhh they're roman numerals my dude.

He means the FF games pre-VII, where they only a few got translated and they were on their own numbering scheme...

FFII original US release is actually FFIV, FFIII is FFVI, etc.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

bradzilla posted:

Lasagna is basically a deep dish pizza with noodles instead of crust, how could anyone not like lasagna?

Most lasagna I've had is too heavy on the sauce and incredibly light on the absolutely anything else, so you end up eating most of the cheese/meat/whatever five bites in and then you're left with a plate full of soggy pasta soaked in tomato sauce.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Cartoons need to stop spreading the idea that there is air inside stomachs, that if you were swallowed by a giant person or a whale or were shrunk down and went inside a normal-sized person's stomach, you could simply stand on a piece of food to stay out of the stomach acid. It's dangerous misinformation.

are you trying to curtail the early adolescent formation of vore fetishes or something

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Hiro Protagonist posted:

The only thing British people online like to do more than tell Americans how terrible America is is to ignore their own systematic issues that are just as bad.
America loving sucks, and I'll be the first to admit it, but they sure to love to tell Americans they're all super racist when they're 90% white and they're most beloved politician of the 20th century was Vice-president of the British Eugenics Society and committed genocide against the Indians.

You can extend that out to pretty much all of Europe.

Just mention Romani/G*psy and watch them pop a blood vessel and spout some absolutely hateful poo poo that wouldn't have sounded out of place in a 1930s Nazi rally.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

it doesnt give the receiver all that much pleasure either because a mouth is just this hollow cavity with a tongue and teeth which is really more ticklish than anything else

maybe this is something thats especially popular in clipped cock land where men just come after 5 seconds of mild stimulation

ah

now the true root of the issue comes out

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

I thought this was the unpopular opinion thread, not 'post your favorite batshit conspiracy theory' :confused:

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Deffinetly not what I'm doing, like I have a avatar from a Visual Novel I don't give a poo poo what's cool or not.

The work itself isn't infantalising, Choosing to only consume content like that is an act infantilizing yourself.

Think of it like this, you can go to the gym everyday for decades and never gain an inch of muscle, you need to add weight to become stronger. Likewise you need to constantly challenge yourself mentally with the works you consume otherwise you are stuck in stagnation.

I don't really think this is true at all. Glancing over at my bookshelf the most depressing book on it is, apropos to the conversation yesterday, The Thirty Years War by Peter Wilson.

I've had this conversation before but people tend to assume that "Literature" or "Adult Fiction" or whatever you wanna call it, is all Great Gatsby rich people being sad, or endless ruminations on the meaningless of life. Which can be true of a lot of works, but it's hardly the majority.

If you always retreat into what's comfortable I don't think you'll end up a very happy person at the end of the day.

The biggest issue with your argument is you're making the assumption that fictional media is the only kind of content that exists, and the only way for someone to grow as a person.

Does a psychologist working primarily with traumatic stress disorders in returning soldiers need to go home and read Catch 22 to truly learn 'war is bad actually'? Does a social worker who supports children from low income areas need to go and read The Jungle so they can truly understand how much poverty sucks and how abused the working class truly is?

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

alexandriao posted:

:hmmyes:

There's a thing in classical music where you know how to play it technically correct (all the notes and timing are perfect) but where it's bad and terrible because you're not "putting yourself into the music" and letting your emotions flow into it as you play (I don't know how else to describe that)

Platystemon posted:

It means that the composer didn’t write the music well.

Or the person isn't actually playing 'perfectly', you just don't have the ear to actually hear it :v:

Not meant to be a slight, but there are several other aspects to playing a note besides matching the tempo and the pitch. You can alter the timbre, the attack/decay, the dynamics, you can add flourishes - musical notation is intensely versatile when it comes to actually transcribing the mood and tone of a piece. A lot of that does add 'emotion' to a piece, but it's all in a quantifiable way, so the actual... 'emotional flow' from the player isn't really as relevant when they're basically told 'hey play this piece like you're plodding along a dark road because you have clinical depression'.

It's about as emotional as acting, basically.

e; Aaand now this sounds like dicksplaining so disregard this!

ishikabibble has a new favorite as of 04:20 on Jul 10, 2021

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

I mean I'm from the UK. There is, and remains, a large amount of people who hate us for very justified reasons, for instance, Ireland.

Every nation can, but accepting how bad you have been is important part of change, you'd hope.

the issue isn't 'accepting'. the issue is large swathes of the american internet at large taking near every opportunity to make snarky comments about the US while having borderline zero knowledge of any of what they're talking about.

it's not 'US cops need to stop shooting people' it's

https://twitter.com/benigma2017/status/1391744813976936452

with the implication that every other country in the world has magical socialized dentistry that covers absolutely everything, and the US is uniquely awful in that people here have to pay for dental care. It's a pervasive attitude that leads to people assuming that if there's a problem they experience while living in the US, it's something that they'd only experience in the US.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

PHUO: yes the british imperial system is dumb and arbitrary, but it's vastly more dumb that "lol murricans" is the thing when using a single system for all everyday uses is better than a mix. In anglo Canada you measure your height in feet and inches but a distance is kilometres, temperature on an oven is fahrenheit but the outdoors is celsius, food comes in grams but everything else is pounds- that's vastly more baffling and illogical than in the US. People, often americans themselves who can't fathom the actual distance a kilometre is but self-loathe into American Exceptionalism But It's Bad, I'm The Only Smart American, need to get over it. Exactly one failed satellite crashing because two idiots couldn't read "in" or "cm" before sending it into space does not mean most of the US population is getting into accidents constantly because no one can comprehend converting pints into gallons.

The pyramids were built to exacting mathematical specifications while measuring units in "eh, roughly an average guy's wingspan"

AFAIK it wasn't even a case of that. The computer math program they used for their calculations misinterpreted 'm' as meter/mile when it was supposed to be the opposite, so it was just a really unfortunate error.

also jesus i work as an engineer in aerospace and i don't even convert measurements as much as y'all seem to.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

i love my pop shelf where i store my 500 2l bottles of mountain dew and nothing else

gotta always have some hand, y'know

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

My extremely popular opinion that will probably be unpopular ITT due to demographics: Americans should shut the gently caress up about their gross sugar sauces.

you realize salad cream is a british thing right

you can't even buy it in the US unless you happen to get lucky/unlucky and find it in an imported food aisle or something

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Manager Hoyden posted:

Seinfeld honestly isn't that great by today's standards, but it was so influential that it helped create today's standards

I wonder if there is a word for that - something that pushes a medium's standards forward so much it no longer meets them

I swear i'm not an anime freak, but i've generally heard that referred to as the 'Evangelion effect'. It's the same kinda thing, wherein a piece of media pushes a medium so far forward that it becomes almost foundational, but in doing so it also was subject to everyone straight up copying or referencing it, so all the novel elements it introduced suddenly became 'the norm', and the original work lost its impact by dint of everyone already being used to the punches it gave.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

New PHUO: I don't see what the big deal is about hardwood floors. I mean, it's a nice enough flooring choice, but I don't get what makes so many people go so bonkers for it. (Or why these same people all seem to think that wood paneling, which is the exact same thing except vertical, is dated and tacky.)

Wood's harder wearing and (can if it's good wood) also hold up visually over a long period of time. A thirty year old wood floor still looks nice, and if it doesn't it can get back to looking nice with a bit of cleanup, while thirty year old carpeting is 'this is the first thing that's getting torn out' territory.

Also carpets are a bitch for cleaning.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Nobody cares about your cats, no one wants to hear about whatever they did that day, nobody cares how clever they are or if they want pets or if they're being tsundere. Shut the gently caress up about your lovely child substitutes.

I want to hear about your cats :colbert:

PHUO: I love hearing completely mundane as hell stories about pets or kids or hobbies or whatever from friends/coworkers/classmates/whatever. It's fun to listen to folks talk about things they're happy to share.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Since both are just random strings of letters anyway, does that mean "to take all that is good about a thing and systemically delete it with capitalism-religion and religion-capitalism"? Used in a sentence: Most simple food has been Amurked, but nothing compares to the Amerc'd cup of coffee.

what the gently caress are you on about

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Gripweed posted:

In Jimmy Carrs new Netflux special he said people don't talk about the gypsies who died in the holocaust because they don't want to talk about the positives

is Jimmy Carr the one that had an entire bit about earnestly wishing that Richard Hammond had died in his accident because of a bunch of poo poo he made up about them being schoolmates and how nobody liked Hammond, or is that a different edgy British comedian

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Linux users really feel like a cult

It really feels like there's two or three programmed responses about how wonderful Linux and open source software is that they're required to give any time Linux comes up in conversation. Even though, in my experience, it seems like the average Linux user's default state is 'hating Linux because they're trying to do something outside the incredibly narrow usage paradigm of the original developers of that distro/fork/app/whatever so they have to spend six hours troubleshooting it to get it to work', or 'hating Linux because they're trying to introduce some new feature that's different from the old feature and therefor irredeemably bad gently caress this forever'.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

About 100% of people who use Linux don't even know they're using Linux :smugmrgw:

i am almost definitely sure Linux Users will absolutely get up your rear end for calling Android 'Linux'

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

What's it like, still living there in 2005? Got some Dubya jokes and some hot new Outkast tracks for us?

My one experience with Linux has been trying to use it on the Steam Deck, and then having the console almost lock itself up because it kept trying to install Chrome through the game launcher layer. Because somewhere in between the factory installed OS version and when I received it, the repository was updated to include both Chrome and Chrome Developer Edition, so it kept querying the console 'which one' and the console kept just going 'google chrome'.
And then I backed out of that and went into the desktop environment and found out it already had Firefox preinstalled.

A+ user experience for a $600 toy

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

idk i took the bluntness as part of the overall bit making fun of the idea of a cop making ridiculous metaphysical inquiries and latching on to ideologies in a very surface-level way

It deffo felt like that was the intent to me. There's a few places they're more explicit about 'everything Harry is doing is because he's gullible as gently caress and an absolute mark', like the little thought/dialogue chain where you can get Harry curious about the homo-sexual underground. You can tell Kim that you think you're gay, and he immediately responds with 'no you're not you absolute idiot'.
Harry is still a character with an established backstory and personality, all his wanderings and musings on metaphysics and political ideologies is just him still lumbering through the aftershocks of a massive bender.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

RFC2324 posted:

Unpopular opinions only please

That is a pretty unpopular opinion

Imagine taking MGS seriously when there's a man who shits himself and he's a beloved character that appears in every game

(i love the MGS series)

(except V, V can go gently caress itself it's boring as hell and extremely not fun)

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Los Angeles and its many hangers on is the worst city

Like, in the whole world

Nah. New York and the way every New Yorker will inevitably start talking about bodegas is.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

That would have probably been a better choice of words, but I meant to say broad as in "broad changes", as in a piece of art changing who you are fundamentally/broadly. I think generally art changes you in small ways. I think it effects most people. If you watch, read or play something you really love, it will become one of the new standards for other media you experience in the future. It changes how you view art and entertainment, and therefore changes you. The problem with the term "life changing" is that it immediately beckons the imagery of some crazy eyed, say, Taylor Swift fan with w Taylor shrine in their bedroom corner, talking about how TS changed their life and you can tell they would probably murder you if they thought Taylor would want it.

But in reality imo life changing as more like. "I played Baulders gate 3 and now I am going to scoff at a lot of things in other RPGs because they aren't as good" it's changed my standards. Therefore in some small way it's life changing. Just a random, topical example.

IMO I think that is probably what is the bigger point of confusion in this discussion.

'Life changing' can still mean it caused huge changes, but like. That's going to be a huge changes over the course of most of someone's life - like all the hundreds of musicians who can point to a specific album (e.g. Dark Side of the Moon or whatever) and say it 'changed their life'.
Because it came out at a time when they were highly impressionable, and gave them a newfound interest in whatever instrument/genre/etc they work with. But they're not going to be playing it constantly, they're not going to be hoarding merchandise related to that specific album, they're not going to be professing their love for it at any opportunity. They might not even carry much influence at all from that record in whatever it is they make. But it's still 'life changing' because it's what kicked off a major part of their whole life journey.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

alexandriao posted:

The funniest thing is that most of these artists are drawing from photographs anyway.

The problem is — they almost never have experience drawing from life, so they dont know how to correct for the skew of the camera lens, which leads to this uncanny valley effect where their art looks just... off, somehow.

If they actually wanted "better than photorealism" they'd draw from life more and that would help them both notice the perspective skew and correct for it when they do draw from photos, and they could truly reach a height of their art being more correct than a photo — but they never loving bother

Can you give any examples? I'm actually really curious about that. I follow quite a few artists who draw in a fairly photorealistic style, but I don't think I've ever seen someone do something like wide angle distortion without explicitly intending to do that effect.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Grassy Knowles posted:

Sci fi is just fantasy with specious reasoning.

Scifi is fantasy with cooler aesthetics :colbert:

My milquetoast opinion is fantasy stuff is just so boring. The aesthetics just fall totally flat for me and just make me feel like I'm at a really uncomfortable renfair or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

That's not the point, it's like, have you spent so little time consciously listening to music that you can't name anything other than the most famous bands of all time? Naming which says absolutely nothing about you?

Your initial comment was 'favorite band'. Having a favorite band (generally) means more than just 'their music is nice to listen to :downs:'

The Beatles are arguably one of the most important pop groups in the entire modern Western music canon, and there is so much written about them in basically every field you could spend the next twenty years reading exclusively about the Beatles and still not run out of new stuff to consume.

also like. man. 'consciously listening to music' get outta here
especially in the later albums Beatles songs are layered as gently caress and there's tons to chew on regarding composition, meaning, theming, album construction, recording...

The Beatles aren't even one of my top bands or anything and I can barely name a dozen tracks from them, but it's just silly hipster contrarianism to be totally dismissive of them.