Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I don't really think there's anything wrong with liking anime or SU or even MLP. What's weird is making that a large part of your identity.

If you're a creepy gently caress, that's a totally separate quality that might be correlated to liking MLP, but I still don't feel like making fun of someone for watching the show. If they're worth making fun of then they'll give me something specific to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

100 degrees Calcium posted:

The poo poo/quality ratio of music in the country and rap genres is roughly the same as music in other genres. Saying you listen to "uh anything but country and rap" just lets me know that you listen to anime and video game soundtracks.

I don't think it's a coincidence that these two genres are the ones most closely associated with specific stereotypes and those two genres being the most commonly written off ones.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Frozen is by far the worst movie Disney has ever been involved in and is the only one I've seen that I was so displeased with it I turned it off within 20 minutes.

Classic whiteamerica.txt. You're always forgetting about Native Americans

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

What are you even trying to say? I've only seen 1 of those and Pocahontas wasn't bad, as a child. Maybe if I saw Frozen as a child it would have been OK, but as it was, I was an adult on a plane with literally nothing to do besides watch that movie and I chose to just continue on in silence because it was so unpleasant. If you enjoy frozen and you don't have kids and are just pretending to like it for their benefit there's something wrong with you, just like with steven universe or MLP.

I'm saying that that my opinion is that those three movies are worse.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Jastiger posted:

Iowa chop fan spotted. <3.

Phuo: old movies and stuff suck. The level of acting talent today is far and away better than anything from the old school famous actors. Romanticizing them is a bit foolish imo. Respect them for blazing trails, but John Wayne is in no way close to say, Bruce Willis in acting ability.

North by Northwest exists, so that can't possibly be true.

Seriously though, I think this is true to a point, but a lot of it comes from the evolution of acting as styles evolved away from their stage and silent film roots. I don't think that makes older movies any less worthwhile, but you've got to be in the right frame. I also don't think it's really relevant once you hit like the 70s.

And so help me if you're going to tell me that Shia LaBeouf is a better actor than Cary Grant, Jastiger. SO HELP ME.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Fister Roboto posted:

"The truth is never in the middle" actually means "I'll never admit that I'm wrong" or "I'm completely unwilling to compromise".

The truth isn't always in the middle, but it's not never there either. It's somewhere in between the two.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Fister Roboto posted:

OK, so in Sweden and Finland, the seasons don't start on a consistent day. That's stupid.

Far from being arbitrary, those seem like the only ways of marking it that make sense.

So you have two different measures: one that starts on the first day of a month and encompasses the next two months which is less accurate but easier to remember for the layman, and another one which is trickier to remember but a great deal more specific and based off of a very specific natural occurrence. Even in the first model you're picking it so that it roughly maps to the second one.

Arbitrary would be like if you flipped a coin to decide it or something.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I think there's a difference between teasing and mocking as part of social pressure to conform and bullying. The latter is bad, the former is how you prevent bronies and anime later in life.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
As annoying as naive, wide-eyed idealists and optimists can sometimes be, they're still way better than cynics. Cynicism is for babies who don't have the guts to care about things and/or maybe need to get treated for depression.

Not me though, my scathing and irreverent wit is healthy and good.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

veni veni veni posted:

That is an overwhelmingly popular opinion.

It's a popular opinion in the abstract, like being a good tipper or being nice to Customer Service Reps. It's just that your situation is totally different.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Tucker and Dale Vs Evil is the greatest slasher film of the past decade.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

I think it is very clear by now that the reviewing industry in general whether it is music, movies, or literature, is a bought and paid for industry. If you paid your dues to the media and greased the right wheels, your mediocre movie is on the way to a guaranteed oscar nomination. Honest media is dead and it's never coming back.

Any particular example you'd like to use to support your theory?

Also, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is an incredible album and deserves all the praise it gets.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Yeah, and? You didn't like it, critics did. Doesn't mean the game is rigged, just means not everyone shares your taste.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Birdman, Slumdog Millionaire, No Country for Old Men off the top of my head.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
At least you know where you stand with us.

Anyway, I got that same vibe when I went to Australia. Super loud, super outgoing, super friendly.

It was pretty awesome.

I wonder if maybe it does really stem from an old class divide where the people going to the Americas/Australia would not have been the aloof nobility.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

doverhog posted:

That makes about as munch sense as saying that, as a whole, developing beyond a hunter gatherer level was probably a bad thing for humanity.

Well now that you mention it…

http://discovermagazine.com/1987/may/02-the-worst-mistake-in-the-history-of-the-human-race

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I like to eat oysters raw. Slurp them right out of the shell.

This is common enough that you can often see it in restaurants that offer seafood, but that's apparently just for my benefit as I've never met anyone who didn't think that sounded gross.

I also live in the PNW so it's not even as though there's a regional distrust of seafood here.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Blue Star posted:

Reminder that video games are bad. All of them.

So what? You yourself said that nothing is good. If nothing is good, then it doesn't matter what's good and what isn't. Watch what you want, play what you want, read what you want.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Blue Star posted:

You should partake in nothing. Imbibe nothing. Patronize nothing. Ideally you should sit silently in a pitch black room at all times, quietly waiting for death.

This sounds boring. I will not do that.

Ultimately I will end up dead regardless. The only thing I can alter is whether or not I enjoyed myself in the interim.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Henchman of Santa posted:

Why are you responding seriously to someone who has said multiple times that they like to eat boogers?

But they look down on my video games!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I enjoy most of the forums with the exception of TCC which I enjoy also but in a more judgmental and condescending way.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

With multiple 500+ page threads that is an unreasonable requirement. The minimum requirement should be checking the past few pages to see if your argument has been brought up, but otherwise in a debate forum any argument should be welcomed. If it's a rehash of something that already happened, link it to them instead of probating them.

In any case, every time I look at threads in there it's just echo chambers and if someone disagrees they are a troll and get probed/banned. It is not a debate forum in any sense of the word.

I think a reasonable half way point might be to edit the OP to include any of these majorly rehashed derails and then maybe if you can't be bothered to check the first post you should eat a probation. That seem fair?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

I feel like the people who hate breakfast are the ones who get up well beyond normal people breakfast time and just don't "get" it.

If you're just heading out for your day at 11am yeah it's kind of stupid to go get some eggs because all the other options are open too.

I get up around 6:30, I just don't really feel hungry until around 10:00 and then I usually put it off until lunch.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
There was never a mystical age of cinema without remakes. Hell, between 1907 and 1959 they made Ben-Hur three loving times.

(A record soon to be shattered by Spider-man, no doubt)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Pick posted:

Stuart Little is absolute horse poo poo of a book.

However, did you know the author, E.B. White, is the White from "Strunk & White's Elements of Style"?

I am going to go through that book, circle every example of passive voice, every split infinitive, and every preposition he ended a sentence with and place it on his loving grave.

English isn't Latin!!!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Hot Smart ARYAN Girl posted:

Um, don't you mean every preposition with which he ended a sentence?

heh

Nah, that was deliberate. I actually approve of breaking all those rules, but Strunk and White deserve no quarter.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

You can be those things and also know when to shut that poo poo off at the same time. You don't constantly need to be proving how woke you are in casual conversation.

Look at the poster you're responding to.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Baronjutter posted:

I believe that there were probably aliens in ancient times, somewhere in the universe, not interacting with humanity in any way because space is too big for aliens to ever meet.

I like to think that maybe we haven't been contacted by aliens because we're actually the furthest along and maybe we'll be the freaks kidnapping and anally probing them because no one seems to think we might have it backwards.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Guy Goodbody posted:

the Fermi "paradox" is really stupid and the fact that people actually take it seriously makes me think less of everyone. The universe is really big. The galaxy could be teeming with life and we'll probably never know. And neither will the alien species either. Since faster than light travel is impossible, the only way to contact other species would be radio signals, which don't actually go on forever, they degrade and become indistinguishable from background radiation eventually, or Voyager style space probes, which are just a crap shoot because the galaxy is really big.

I'm pretty sure the "paradox" was just a thing he came up with on his lunch break one day so I'm not terribly shocked that it doesn't hold up

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Aesop Poprock posted:

I knew this was a Pick post before I even glanced at the avatar or name

I mean I don't disagree but uh what version of feminism doesn't prioritize those things

Tumblr feminism can be guilty of it too, along with devaluing terms like "gaslighting" to mean "anyone who doesn't agree with me".

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

walrusman posted:

Knew it was the right thread for it.

e:

Glad you can diagnose mental illness based on two paragraphs of me being disappointed by a disappointing situation. You should be working on the new DSM, not wasting your time posting here!

e2: and to be clear, I'm not saying that girl should go against her wishes and go out with you, or that they should go against their wishes and have kids just because I want them to. I'm just disappointed and the rhetoric that it's none of my business is complete bullshit. It has plenty of effects.

Nah, it's really not your business. You're just being an entitled rear end in a top hat

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

steinrokkan posted:

Maybe he is, maybe his brother is as well? Maybe it's not possible not to be an rear end in a top hat, and the recognition of this is necessary to create a functional society?

Only assholes think this.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Probably one of my most unpopular opinions: I think the country would be a better place if the police had the power to summarily execute people without trial for certain crimes ala Judge Dredd. There's no sense having a trial for someone who killed another person with multiple witnesses, for example.

You should visit the USA.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Not really, I'm talking about situations where they are surrendering peacefully and unarmed too.

You also have to be black.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Like, I don't know how you look at abuse of authority by the police in this country and then think "why don't we just give them this power officially"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Political opponents aren't criminals. So no.

Right, you'd just have to come up with some bullshit to accuse them of first. Not hard when you basically have unchecked authority.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Just raise the standard for being a police officer so you can trust their judgement.

Sorry, who picks them?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I'm starting to think this isn't a serious proposal at all!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

I guess my overall unpopular opinion that "an ultimate consolidation of power" isn't necessarily a bad thing that should be fought against, as long as they are right.

You're almost there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

I think the key is to appoint someone who didn't seek the position, and hold them accountable if things go south.

The checks and balances exist for that exact purpose.