Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«9 »
Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

someday he would have an anchor tattooed on his chest

CrRoMa posted:

Wait so you think its an actual fitness advantage to raise genetic material you are unrelated too?

I'd be fascinated to hear your thought process here

You raise children because you love them , not to pass on your genes you primitive ape.

Here's one: going to Mars is an insanely dumb idea that will amount to nothing since it's incredibly dangerous and there's really nothing concrete to be gained.

I get annoyed with MULTI PLANET SPECIES space dorks who pretend to care about the purely abstract idea of the "survival of the species" in the event of runaway global warming. How about caring about the survival of actual people alive today?

Shibawanko has a new favorite as of 15:13 on Dec 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

True love is monogamous and polyamory is just a form of immature hedonism practiced by people who can't form proper attachments to others.

The scene in Jurassic Park where Newman is sitting on the terrace talking about smuggling the dinosaurs is the only really memorable bit from that movie.

Shibawanko has a new favorite as of 15:38 on Dec 16, 2018

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Why do you assume that anyone who has different preferences or priorities to you is only pretending?

Because caring for an abstract concept like the survival of the human species does not involve any real attachment to actual living beings. It's an intellectual conceit popular among Elon Musk fanboys who think global warming is OK as long as we can have a handful of astronauts surviving on another world or something even if most people on Earth will die.

https://www.cnet.com/news/elon-musk...planet-species/ I'm talking about this poo poo

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Asexuality is usually just a form of denial and fear of attachment or the result of depression or stress or something. Not a real orientation except maybe rarely. It's nothing like being gay or intersex or anything like that.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The speech pattern where one says that something "is a thing" is ugly and I wish people would stop talking like that.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Alternative suggestion: "well that sure is a salient phenomenon"

I also hate phrases that have their origin in Gamer Thrones like "bend the knee" or "winter is coming". Like ugh cut it out already

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

christmas boots posted:

Game of thrones didn’t invent “bend the knee”

It became a salient phenomenon after that show and I can't remember or find examples from before when it was used except maybe incidentally. You'd normally just say "submit" or "kneel" or something.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

TED talks are extremely annoying with their dumb way of talking and I hate them very much.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I still listen to Opie and Anthony bits where they talk about funny poo poo even though I think they belong in a reeducation camp.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Family Guy is funny and we're lucky that there is one

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My partner's mom got us a loving expensive keurig machine and a bunch of keurig pods for christmas. Because... we like coffee?

I shouldn't be expected to be happy and thankful for this PoS that we if anything, actively didn't want (earlier this year we stayed with relatives who have a keurig and she was all BOOOOY if I drank coffee as much as you guys do I'd loooove a convenient plastic dispenser like this and we were like "yeah well our machine is fine, especially for multiple people, the one pod at a time thing isn't good for us, but if yooooouuuuu want one get one for you"), while after a month or two of being bombarded with "BUT WHAT DO YOU WAAAAAAAAAANT" we decided on either some dumbbells or another cat tree. Status of those: nope. Which would be fine if we weren't bombarded with questions about what we wanted.

In fact I should be allowed to feel offended and weirded out. She got us a thing that will be handed back to her because we have no loving use for it. And it's like... not an improvement or interesting or in character with us at all? It'd be different if we were happy with our cheapo drip machine and she got us a french press but just nooooo

E: or hell, she knows our toaster kicked it recently and that we're toasting poo poo in the oven. A 20 dollar toaster would be more appreciated because IT IS ACTUALLY A USEFUL THING WE WANT

Disposable cup based coffee machines are big time retarded and i dont know why people buy that poo poo instead of just superior filter coffee

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

They are a bad value because each pod has very little coffee grounds. People complain about third wave coffee places being too expensive but you typically get 3-4 times more coffee grounds in your cup.

There's that and they usually also taste like poo poo compared to simple black filter coffee from a good brand.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Nm

Shibawanko has a new favorite as of 17:31 on Dec 27, 2018

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Superhero comics are one thing ive never been interested in and i cant think of many things that are more boring

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

yeah I eat rear end posted:

My problem with nerd collectors are they are cheap as gently caress. I have probably one of the most complete NES game collections out there, at least one that was assembled naturally as a kid (~190 games), and I tried selling it a few times and I get lowballed to hell. No, you don't get a bulk discount. You can't find this many games still in their box with the manuals anywhere else for sale. Pay me a premium or gently caress off, I don't need to sell it, I'll just keep playing them. And screw trying to sell it piece by piece. That would take forever.

I tried to sell a few of the Super Famicom games I bought for my own amusement back in the Netherlands and got guys messaging me all like "nobody in Holland speaks Japanese anyway, why don't you sell this game to me for 3 euros instead" and stuff.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Babies and children are cute and fun and people who don't like children are almost as weird as people who have a strong preference of dogs or cats vs. the other, instead of just liking both like a human being.

People who don't like crows because they bring bad luck or something or pigeons or who kick at them on the street are scumbags and that poo poo should be fined.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Telemaze posted:

I don't think liking one animal more than another is weird. Cats and dogs are very different to deal with (plus other pets like bird, fish, rodents, etc), so it makes sense that different personality types would prefer different kinds of pet ownership. Dogs are cute and I will happily pet someone else's, but I have no desire to be responsible for one. Cats just suit me better.

I mean, I get not wanting to care for one or the other or either, but some people are all like "i'm a dog person, not a cat person" like it's an identity. That always struck me as neurotic, same with superstitions about certain animals.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I don't generally care about newborns much since they just lie there and all look similar but when they're a few months old and start having a will of their own I think they're cute

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I have no problem with religion in general at all but prosperity theology and pentecostalism in particular is a plague

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

They're both terrible really but the hobbit movies were slightly better than the lotr ones just for being visually more interesting

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I have no idea how anyone could have that opinion. Like the first lord of the rings is pretty much all beautiful visual stuff and the others aren't bad except when they are near mordor. The hobbit, meanwhile, just looked...fake. Especially scenes like that river scene with the barrels. It seemed more CGI than natural.

They're both really bad adaptations but at least the hobbit had some cool characters like The Great Goblin and a good Thranduil and i can accept it for being aggressively ridiculous

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I was only speaking from the "visuals" perspective. I don't really have a strong opinion on the movies, they are just the kind of movies I'd queue up to have as background noise most of the day since they are so long.

The visuals don't look real but at least they look interesting. It's all crazy bullshit but at least it doesn't put me to sleep the way the lotr movies do.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

The main problem is trying to turn Hobbit into a billion dolla budget mega epic. Del Torro would have been able to make a good small scale Hobbit movie for sure, but if the studios insisted on a giant LOTR like tentpole blockbuster, there was no way to salvage it, really.

Yeah there was no way it was going to be anything like the book so they did the right thing and went over the top the other way. The lotr movies were just an inferior version of the story with generic visuals that came straight from WoW or something

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

People who put serious stock in the "simulation hypothesis" as a physical reality rather than a funny thought experiment are probably at the same level of stupidity of elon musk fans

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Aramek posted:

Punk bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2eiNge6Q2I
Nope

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I didn't realize anyone seriously liked that stupid poo poo

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the reason i'll never be able to handle anime is they always scream every single drat line unless they are the dark mysterious guy who when they walk only their shoulders move back and forth. I have never seen an anime that is laid back. It's always japanese people screaming at each other even if it's something as simple as saying good morning. Settle down.

Akagi is laid back and a good watch while drinking beers

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Collapsing Farts posted:

Anal sex isn't that great, vaginal sex is better

Receiving oral sex mostly isn't good either. A mouth is an awkward shape to put a penis into.

Being in the role of giving pleasure rather than receiving is generally better, in any situation. I prefer to give a gift rather than receive a gift generally.

Shibawanko has a new favorite as of 18:19 on Jan 20, 2019

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Anthony Bourdain wasn't some great person. He seemed like a fairly self centered guy with American-rear end stock opinions about the places he visited backed up by a hokey sense of authenticity which apparently had to involve taking jungle trips with murderers right out of The Act of Killing without batting an eye (the Borneo episode of Parts Unknown). He was also one of those guys who would kill an animal himself, because otherwise you are a hypocrite if you eat meat, which has a whiff of bullshit to it.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

also gently caress decorative pillows

I really hate pillows in the shape of hearts or with a coarse texture and bullshit text on it. I want to burn all of the pillows. I also hate the decorative bullshit ribbon that hotels put on beds when they prepare the room.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Switching from an inkjet to a monochrome laserjet was the best Printer Decision i ever made

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Generations arent real

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Interstellar, for all the pretense, isn't a scientifically minded movie at all. Looking at the actual story it's clearly an argument for religious superstition, magic and the promise of eternal life.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

It's the Muskovite fantasy that space and technology will save us like Daddy

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Commercials should be banned.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The entire education system should be thrown in the toilet at this point and replaced with the quadrivium system where you learn Rhetoric and read Cicero

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

I can't believe you can major in Marketing in universities. Great job pumping out non-contributing zeroes into society.

Any subject that isn't a real topic of serious research (physics, literature, maths, music, art, and so on) should be banned from being taught at universities. Skills like accounting or management should just be taught in 1 or 2 month intensive modules so people don't have to waste 3 years of their lives studying something so simple and people who can't find employment in more serious topics can easily switch to something else if needed. The way it is now if you study business management at a university you get a 3 year bloated track of redundant coursework and other crap while the essentials can probably be taught to anyone in less than a year.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Tubgoat posted:

No, he's quite correct. gently caress sugar in anything it doesn't need to be in. There is no goddamn reason to put it in three quarters of the things the American sugar cane and corn lobbies mandate it be put in.

I recently moved to the UK from Holland and gently caress is everything sugary and disgusting here.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Showering blows. I do it every morning, but I hate doing it. It sucks that your hair gets oily after only a day of not being washed with shampoo and i suspect Big Shampoo is somehow to blame. I wish I could just get away with doing it every other day and not have my hair look like a used mop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Tiggum posted:

If you're working in a coal mine or something then I guess you probably should wash your hair more often, but if you're not doing anything in particular to make it dirty then washing too frequently just makes it greasier. Your scalp produces oil. If you wash it away then it just produces more oil to compensate. If you respond by washing your hair more often then you make the problem worse. Wash your hair, like, twice a week at most.

If I do this it would become so oily I wouldn't be admitted to a restaurant. It's probably worse for me because I'm like platinum blonde with rather thin hair though so oil immediately stand out unless I scrub that poo poo out on a daily basis.

«9 »