Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Regarding movie theaters, much of it is very much the over commercialized megaplexes working too hard to draw in as many butts in seats as they can for the highest profits, and it's shameless and artificial to all.
I saw Rogue One this week, and had a lot of contempt for the theater. There were mega long lines not prepared for the holiday rush, with obvious understaffing of teens underpaid. After the Entertainment Tonight style preshow there were commercials for coke and candy. Then after the silence phones message, the SAME commercials ran. Then between the previews and the movie was ANOTHER commercial for Coke.

There are two theaters in my mom's county thst I love and are outliers for opposite reasons. First, there's an Alamo Drafthouse. If you didn't know, the chain caters to the arthouse and cult crowds, and boy does it. Fancy assigned seats with full food and drink service for your tables, with high end selections. Custom themed preshow reels filled with trailers and shorts and clips matching the film to be seen. Two strikes and you're out talking, phones, and manners policies. You come there and feel like you're at a theater that still loves the cinema.
On the other end of the county sitting on the end of a strip mall is a theater that trims all the fat, feeling like a second run place while keeping a first run bill. The popcorn and drinks are self serve. There aren't carpets in the theaters. They don't have fancy 3d or plush seats. You get your movie and you don't have to pay an arm and a leg. I've never seen the place not crowded.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that there's lots of ways to keep theatergoing a rewarding pasttime, but the way the big franchise plexes do things ain't it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I got one of those cheapo vr smartphone viewers for xmas and have been playing around with it this past week (I only last night figured out how to integrate my bt gamepad which helps) and so far it's a fun gimmick gadget, but I haven't seen anything that indicates it will go anywhere until devs start treating it seriously.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Wheat Loaf posted:

I don't think Taylor Swift is especially talented, to be honest. :shrug:

Like most pop stars, I find her for the most part to be completely innocuous, and most of the hate falls back on that old chestnut of mistrusting anything teen girls love.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Fellowship got robbed for "Best adapted screenplay" a few years before that though by Gosford Park. When your script is "based off an idea by" the writer/director, that doesn't count as an adaptation. Of all the Jackson Tolkien adaptations, Fellowship is probably the closest to the source material in both plot and appearance on the other hand. Then again, most of the Oscars any more are making up to people/movies that get robbed by robbing someone more deserving of the award in subsequent years and giving it to the earlier rob-ee.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Unpopular opinion, at least here: Judge Dredd was superior in every way to Dredd. It is also one of the only movies where Rob Schneider was a positive addition to the character list.

In the new one I don't even think he says "I am the law" ever. Come on. e: actually he does but he gets the tone all wrong.

The weird thing if you read the comics is the revelation that both films are highly accurate, because both grimdark ultraviolence and goofy satirical slapstick happen all the time. Like, the two movies are different sides of the same coin here.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

Vodka is awesome because the better it is the less it tastes like anything. If you can find Wheatley's Vodka drop the ~$20 on it and never look back. Tito's is also an acceptable cheap amazing vodka.

If Alton Brown is to be believed that's due to the higher priced stuff being purified more. So what you do is get one of those brita pitchers you pour the water into and it purifies it on your countertop. Only instead you buy cheap vodka and send it through the pitcher 5 or 6 times, and have absolutely top shelf quality stuff for bottom shelf prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

I don't disagree with the first two sentences. I hate how the biscuits don't absorb the gravy. If I'm going to go whole hog on some ridiculous breakfast I'd rather do chicken fried steak. I'd rather just do some eggs potato and meat though.

what are you just stuffing the biscuits in your mouth wholehog?? You cut them up with your fork and/or knife and swirl them around in the gravy to get more absorption. They're not a thin slice of bread that sucks things up like a sponge.