Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
While I'm a fan of olives I'm not a fan of three olives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Baudolino posted:

Resentment, maybe? But perhaps the daugthers would also envy the extra attention lavished on the sons.

boys: inherently bad, deserve beatings
girls: inherently good, deserve wine coolers

Yup, nothing hosed up about that at all.

quote:

Anyways daughters have always hated their mothers and sons have always wanted to kill their fathers, so in that respect the system i imagine would not change anything.

...I don't think you come from a normal family.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
As I understand things, Tiggum lives in Australia. If someone said to you "would you like to grab this metal block that is now probably infested with a galzillion deadly snakes and spiders" how would you respond?

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Gripweed posted:

month day year is also how people talk.

No, that's just how you personally talk.

My birthday is on the 21st of April and that's how I like it :colbert:

aardwolf has a new favorite as of 22:51 on Jan 23, 2019

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Gripweed posted:

"The Fourth of July" is the name of the holiday.

If we're going to get pedantic, shouldn't that be "Independence Day"? "The Fourth of July" is a colloquialism.

And the fact that "colloquial" means "used in ordinary or familiar conversation; not formal or literary" is kind of telling.

aardwolf has a new favorite as of 23:15 on Jan 23, 2019

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Nah, even a small piece of white chocolate is greasy and overly sweet. It's a garbage lolly for picky children.

If I'm comfortable eating something you aren't, how exactly does that make me "picky"? Shouldn't that logically refer to you, the random-type-of-chocolate hater? :(

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

docbeard posted:

"Picky" means "is wrong about food" in whatever direction you, the wrong person, are disagreeing with me in.

To be fair, I have to give Tiggum credit for being an Australian who objects to something white.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Tiggum posted:

White chocolate isn't disgusting or inedible or anything, it's just fat and sugar; chocolate with the flavour removed. Picky children don't like the component of the chocolate that makes it taste of anything other than sweet so you take that out and you're left with something that, whether or not it's "real chocolate", doesn't taste of chocolate and isn't worth eating.

Why do you assume that liking white chocolate means I have to hate dark chocolate? I went and checked with the Dungeon Master and he confirmed that it's actually okay to like multiple things! I get that it might be unconventional, but I'm not breaking a rule or anything. Please be more understanding of my build :(

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
The replicators were kind of a disappointment in general.

This all-powerful, ancient race of superbeings is getting their rear end kicked by lego spiders because the little grey men haven't heard of shotguns. It's up to us humans and our ability to shoot things to help them out!

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

exquisite tea posted:

People who habitually use shrug emojis are intellectual cowards with no real convictions.

:shrug:

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Shallots are tiny, like the size of a head of garlic

That's true, but our continental friends should know that it's a mistake to assume their size means they are not a threat. If you surprise a shallot, be sure to back away slowly but don't break eye contact.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Stephen King is kind of a moron. Baby boomer, cheesy.

But the Night Flier is the most horrific movie I've ever seen.

Then you have never seen The Langoliers? Those were some truly horrific special effects.

https://youtu.be/YF7mPM1vzUE?t=232

aardwolf has a new favorite as of 11:02 on Jun 27, 2019

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
Counterpoint: if five hours makes you strong, wouldn't six hours make you stronger?

I see you for what you are: a Russian agent who wants to weaken our glorious military. I wish you the best, comrade.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

Everyone who craps on VR is so incredibly short sighted I don’t even know where to begin. It’s like watching people talk about how cell phones will never catch on. Get back to me in five years and tell me it was a fad.

Do you remember hearing people talk about how AR glasses wouldn't catch on five years ago? And then it turned out holy poo poo we were right and it was a stupid expensive fad without much value to the average consumer :colbert:

At the moment VR can work really well... so long as it's in the very specific scenario where both you and your virtual avatar are sitting down in some sort of race car or cockpit with predefined controls. As soon as people start moving around and trying to interact with a dynamic virtual environment things fall to poo poo and the discrepancy between the real and virtual worlds gets jarring very quickly.

I don't think anyone is claiming VR will "never" be useful because hey, you're right - that's indeed pretty short-sighted - but it's sure as gently caress got some pretty serious unsolved problems at the moment for anything beyond Elite: Dangerous.

aardwolf has a new favorite as of 10:05 on Jun 30, 2019

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
It's where I keep all my plastic :colbert:

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

christmas boots posted:

North America should be America-1 and South America should be America-A

Or the Mongooses. That's a cool team name - the Fighting Mongooses.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
Any one-percenter who lives on a mega yacht instead of a zeppelin style airship is simply wasting everybody's time.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
Not everything has to be praxis.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
Does Quantum Leap have a good theme? Does "doo doo da-woo doo doo da-woo dah dah doo dah dah daah dit daah" capture the essential spirit and emotion of the show? Well, okay, yes but they clearly just kind of got lucky there.

I think we can all agree that every show should have a Gilligan's Island style jaunty tune that clearly establishes the characters and premise.

Especially any show that deals with aliens, house renovation or a special victims unit.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I like what I like. Playing farming simulator 2017 while listening to songs like she thinks my tractor's sexy or big green tractor make me feel like a sexy (virtual) farmer in a way no older country song can.

Do you have... exotic tastes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8dMlkGKoZE&t=13s

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Aphrodite posted:

I've read recently that current AI stuff is believed by many researchers to be heavily flawed and based on a bunch of cheats and shortcuts that means it can never really evolve much.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

The Gunslinger is a good start but not great. In a vacuum it's bad. There is very little conflict, no resolution.

Roland straight up slaughters every man, woman and child in Tull - and then quite deliberately allows the new kid he adopted to drop to his death rather than be delayed in pursuit of vengeance. The conflict in the book is a moral one between Roland's character and the reader's.

Also I'll have a Big Mac and fries, please.

aardwolf has a new favorite as of 07:05 on Dec 20, 2019

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Well I mean, if the men, women and children are trying to kill you...what are you supposed to do, not kill them all?

It's quite conclusively shown that Roland is an incredible shot. Do you honestly believe he couldn't have gone for disabling wounds on the kiddies? Why did he need to kill them? What was he afraid of? Was that prepubescent child who gave him directions to the "cafe" at Sheb's gonna bleed on him?

The whole point of that scene is that The Gunslinger is a horrific emotionless robot who very quickly defaults to the only one solution to a problem he knows / understands / trusts and I don't think you are supposed to be sympathizing with him at this point in the narrative :ohdear:

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Disabling wounds... in a place that without actual medical knowledge? That would just be a crueler, slower death anyway.

While I get that the "doctors" from the Little Sisters of Eluria aren't common, that story proves the world has the concept of practical and effective medicine. Roland has presumably been trained on how to properly treat bullet wounds as that's a gunslinger's biggest occupational hazard. Cauterizing wounds with gunpowder and disinfecting them with whisky are old cowboy tropes that Not-Clint-Eastwood would probably know.

... and I've just spent way to much time thinking about medicine in a fictional world I first encountered when I was ten.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Captain Monkey posted:

You’re objectively wrong unless you’re not the goon that lives in Finland. Also, you don’t know how traffic flow works very well. I’ve been to Finland, people definitely speed except in the .1 mile before the speed cameras.

...is this that findom thing I've heard about?

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Ketchup on hot dogs isn’t just ok- it tastes good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T69HDek6a3k&t=90s :(

One day, you and I will storm the gates and give those fascist fucks at the National Hot Dog and Sausage Council what for.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
If "plating" and "plated" are pretentious kitchen terms then it seems pretty obvious that "loving" and "hosed" are pretentious sexual terms. You sex-havers always shoving your nose in the air with your fancy words :mad:

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

The Scientist posted:

Pierce Brosnan was the best James Bond and Dante's Peak was the best James Bond movie ever made

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Tiggum posted:

I'm not sure how I would react if I went to a barbecue and they were serving hotdogs.

You've been to a sausage sizzle before, right? It's like that, only the meat isn't burnt and bland and you aren't outside a Bunnings.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

mind the walrus posted:

Most pies/cobblers taste absolutely disgusting and it's only with heavy crust/ice cream that it's even remotely tolerable.

Please stay the gently caress away from my shepherd's pie.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

silence_kit posted:

No one actually has a principled objection to derails in general.

...what about train engineers?

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
Sure, it starts with a quick looksee and before you know it Rincewind has picked up the wrong loving glove and is jabbing furiously at the controls.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Wait is Dark Tower the one where some random hobo gives a kid some hooch to drink and then the kid hallucinates about werewolves and poo poo? Or was that something else?

You're thinking of To Kill A Mockingbird - it's the famous scene where Dolphus Raymond gives Jem a sip of his Paper Bag Juice and then Jem has a dream sequence where he travels across America seeking the power of The Talisman.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

hawowanlawow posted:

I think you'll find it's the beard havers desperately trying to hide their baby faces

Tiggum posted:

Speaking as a baby-faced beard-haver: Correct.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What's marmalade?

A miserable little pulp of citrus.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Cardiovorax posted:

So it's literally just a random sales barcode out of a convenience store? lol, yeah, I'd regret that one too.

fizzymercury posted:

I have the bar ode from a bottle of Mad Dog Purple Rain. And I chose it on purpose. It can always be worse.

My brother was a packet of lemon cordial mix for a couple of years until the barcode got too blurry to scan.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Gripweed posted:

The Senate is a completely indefensible organization and should be gotten rid of immediately.

Checks and balances in general just hinder progress, get rid of them and just like...elect the right person and let them go to town imho

Indeed. The Emperor should dissolve the council permanently and give the regional governors direct control over their territories.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

doverhog posted:

We don't get to choose the world we live in.

and these are the hands we're given
use them and let's start trying
to make it a place worth living in

oh, Superman, where are you now
when everything's gone wrong somehow?
the men of steel, the men of power
are losing control by the hour

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
There are two posters here who should be ashamed of themselves for ignoring that the King has already made a significant contribution to the arts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jzxlqn7fHQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

I'm really not. I think some things can be worth dying for, but I don't think any of us should see it as a good thing, or as somehow neccesary because we should want to live for those things instead.

Like you said if you aren't willing to die for something them you haven't really lived. I'd argue that if you are willing to die for something then you'd be better off living for something. Dying is final and it is very easy to make grand proclamations about it, but it shouldn't be something we want.

"But there are causes worth dying for," said Butterfly.
"No, there aren’t! Because you’ve only got one life but you can pick up another five causes on any street corner!"
"... good grief, how can you live with a philosophy like that?"

Rincewind took a deep breath: "Continuously!"

- Terry Pratchett, Interesting Times