Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Those were cited to demonstrate it isn't aimed at teenagers, not proofs of quality. :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Only manga I ever read was Akira, because the local library happened to have it in a bunch of hardcovers. It was ok I guess.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

areyoucontagious posted:

People should retire at 50 regardless of whether they are financially able. Most people over 50 are not able to easily adapt to changes in the workplace and are anchors on workplace morale and productivity.

Agreed, welfare should be expanded so that people that have trouble finding their place in the workforce can live their lives without bothering the productive people.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I shall now say that Tool and Nine Inch Nails are good and from that time period. Please proceed to tell me they are poo poo and I'm a dumb baby for liking them. :banjo:

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Well then the problem is with promoting sportsmen as role models to begin with.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I dunno man, don't you think, for instance, a film like Batman v Superman would have enough grease to spread around?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

But what about the grease?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

And to expand on that, a serious movie called Doctor Strange, about a wizard with with a pet cape, recently received 90% positive critic reviews, despite having less grease. It appears your premise has been debunked.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

yeah I eat rear end posted:

How is that serious at all? It was a goofy as poo poo movie about magic wizards and was barely above Harry Potter in terms of "seriousness".

:ironicat:

So, if any major comic movie is going to get hugely positive reviews, why did Batman v Superman get smashed in reviews?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Being into Jean Grey is pretty tame as fetishes go. So you want a redhead to kill you. Ok, could be worse.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The negative reviews were part of the marketing, people thought "how could a movie with my favorites batman AND superman be bad?".

Name a best picture winner since 2002 that was actually a good to great movie.

The marketing people paid for bad reviews?

Birdman.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I read a few Dredd comics (what the library happened to have) when I was a kid but don't remember much about them, except one where he and his psychic girlfriend go to another megacity that has been taken over by demons or something, and it was cover to cover pictures of mutilated people and monsters doing bad things to them. Left an impression on 10 year old me.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

Vodka is awesome because the better it is the less it tastes like anything.

If you just wanna get drunk, that's fine, but saying a drink is good because it has no taste makes no sense.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

I one time fell asleep on a park bench at like 4am in Chicago in December with nothing but a coat on and two bottles of Night Train in me and I've never slept more soundly or warm in my life. That poo poo is like a liquid Hilton to the homeless.

Passing out in the snow is a thing people die from here every year, good thing Chicago is a warm city.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Gin is great. Usually drink it straight or with a bit of water. G&Ts are fine if drinking at a bar. I like my drinks to kick me in the throat a bit, it adds to the experience. Fernet-Branca for instance is good stuff. So, I guess I'm agreeing with you.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Minnesota style pizza is feta cheese, jalapenos, kebab meat, onions and smetana.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Solice Kirsk posted:

I don't pretend it's a good show, I just like it because it's a show obviously written by people that teased nerdy kids in high school and nerds still like it.

Do they? The only time I see Bing Bang Theory mentioned anywhere is people calling it out for being terrible.

People who actually work as physicists, or whatever is is they do on the show, are the ones who should be upset at it. They probably don't spend their free time playing Star Trek trivia with their roommates.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

So how far off are you from inventing the warp drive? Or I guess that's more in the field astrology, you mainly work on naming new constellations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

That's why kids should watch Game of Thrones at an early age, so they learn that being good and moral not only doesn't guarantee good outcomes, but in fact is actively harmful to achieving success in worldly pursuits.

doverhog has a new favorite as of 19:38 on Jan 7, 2017

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Dawkins hasn't just expressed some opinions, he's written books. River Out of Eden is the best explanation of what evolution actually is I've read anywhere.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Finns can't stop talking about how they hate small talk and want personal space. Though not sure if that qualifies as a negative stereotype.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Pick posted:

Nope, see, even with that you've already come to the conclusion that you know the correct limits of human diversity.

People try to use dog breeds as a positive example of selective breeding, but even the working breeds tend to be plagued with physical and behavioral problems that make them ill-equipped to survive, because guess what? People aren't as intelligent, rational, or dispassionate as they think they are.

It sounds like you are arguing against eugenics because you think the ones who'd be doing it are incompetent, not because it's wrong in some absolute sense. Therefore, well just have to wait until the scientists get better at it. :henget:

doverhog has a new favorite as of 06:03 on Jan 10, 2017

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Aramek posted:

I read something about how there's no such thing as ethical consumption under late stage capitalism?

I think this means we should embrace the unethical-ness of it.

This is true. Even ignoring that the very concept of "consumption" is problematic at best, simply using money makes you complicit in all the bad things corporations and rich people are doing. Such as strip mining, political corruption, and child rape. The only ethical choice is to move into a shack or cardboard box, eat roadkill, or better yet kill yourself.

The takeaway from this of course is not that you should do that, but rather that no one is ethical, no one is "good".

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I don't know if there's any research on it, but would bet a reason is that nowadays you can fill your time with fighting for the elf king, collecting space minerals, etc. in a dark room if you are having trouble fitting in with the sex-havers. Those options didn't really use to exist.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Uber is fighting unions and legislation all over the place. Huge ambitions, huge risk, huge potential pay off. In Finland the way taxi permits are handed out was corrupt as gently caress (it's changing soon), and using Uber is still illegal.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Das Boo posted:

My reason for liking fight scenes in movies and not wrestling is because films forcefully control the scope, speed and angles to make a fight scene look cool. Wrestling doesn't have the cinematography of a well-filmed fight scene. Likewise, poorly-filmed fight scenes are a goddamn slog.
I have a real hard time enjoying TV or movies I hate the look of, which is a surprisingly unpopular opinion.

I have trouble enjoying fight scenes in films or TV ever since I started watching MMA, since they usually look nothing like a real fight. Superhero stuff is actually better with this since there is an excuse for it to look fantastical. Wrestling combines the worst of both and just looks silly and boring.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

And let's not even get started about football.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

The only games a man™ plays are pool and poker in a cash game at a bar, where he can get drunk, make money and get into a fight all at the same time. Anything else is for small babies.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

Or just watching larger men on a TV compete and pretending you are somehow part of it.

Gets a pass, sort of, but only if you do it at a bar and bet on the matches. That's not a game though.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Sentient Data posted:

Obama was merely Bush's third and fourth terms, and the amount of praise he's received during the past two months is revolting

You'd think he'd get more flack for the invasion of Iran, but no, loving revolting.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Sentient Data posted:

Unpopular opinion to avoid a giant derail: sour candy is better than sweet candy

Yup, and ammonium chloride infused candy is best of all.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Jastiger populist? Come now.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Populism can be good or bad. Promising the people things they want and then giving them those things is populism. Promising things you can't deliver, lying because the truth is unpopular, etc. is also populism.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

If you didn't like the first 3 you are not gonna like the rest either. IMO the best thing about it is that it has style and artistic flair, and the nostalgia is a big part of that. It was clearly made by someone with a vision for what they wanted to make.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Ready Player One is an awful novel whose only point is "GUYS, DO YOU REMEMBER THAT VIDEO GAMES ARE A THING"

Did you actually read it? There is a pretty heavy handed point that no matter how well you do in video games true happiness can only be found with real life relationships.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

spit on my clit posted:

violence does not solve nonviolence. in fact, it makes your side look worse, and it ruins whatever dumbass point you could ever want to present. if you want to say "I want to run around and wreck poo poo without consequence", then please just say that.

what about the Clintons? Should they be stripped of their money, or are they excluded from your poo poo list because hillary pretended that she cared about people?

Economic forces are inherently violent. Some rich guy somewhere can make you lose your livelihood, and if you try to fight back, as in literally fight, cops that work for his politician buddies will kill you. Make no mistake, all human interaction is founded on violence, and the choice of using it or not.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Which part are you unclear about?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

spit on my clit posted:

Some rich guy somewhere can make you lose your livelihood, and if you try to fight back, as in literally fight, cops that work for his politician buddies will kill you.

Say you work in a factory, and then it suddenly closes because the manufacturing is being moved to a country with less strict labor laws. You organize with your union to stop this from happening, and the riot police show up. You are determined and fight them. Then they shoot you and you die.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

spit on my clit posted:

or you vote for trump and get shot by rioters.

Either way violence is at the core of those interactions. Whenever you talk to another person you have the option of using violence or the threat of it to force them to do something. Choosing not to do so, and also being forced to not to do so by the fear of repercussions and other people using violence on you in turn, is the bedrock of society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doverhog
May 31, 2013

spit on my clit posted:

no, not really. just cause violence is an option, does not make it the "core" of interacting with people. most normal people don't think "what if i just walk up and smash my coffee cup in his face" when they see someone.

I don't mean "core" in the sense that people are thinking about it all the time. In normal circumstances you wouldn't, and most people don't have to. It just takes one who is willing to do it to dominate others, unless something stops them. That is what society and laws are for.

doverhog has a new favorite as of 19:16 on Jan 21, 2017