Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

I don't care if metal is the anime of music, it'll always be in my top 3 favorite genres of music - doesn't matter if I'm 9 or 99 :allears:

Jastiger posted:

Ive always thought this and not just cuz of the last thread getting gassed: gassing threads just because they get derailed or someone shits it up is dumb.

I agree with you here. Although I'm betting there must've been like a couple dozen reports in the space of a few hours, that would certainly set off a death knell for a thread with already near-poo poo rating :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

doverhog posted:

Blind Guardian is a great. Sabaton is boring. You get the idea.

Blind Guardian is good, like really good. But be careful, if metal is to anime, then power metal is to shounen.

Eyes will roll when people find out.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

The comic book format could've been a wonderfully unique form of expression like the other artistic mediums but legislators decided it was for children and created legislation to pretty much enforce that reality. At least for a long time. It's a real shame that happened.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

I think it's alright that news stations do bit pieces on viral videos and memes once in a while, at least that kind of material ends up being a vaguely positive island in a sea of the usual attention-grabbing doom and gloom news casting, ideally pieces involving more substantial optimism like discussing current advances in science, society, etc would occupy bigger reporting segments tho. I, at least, see that kind of stuff very rarely on my local stations.

MizPiz posted:

Same but for video games.

bigeo games might not be well-regarded but at least their hands weren't legally tied by anything (they did talk about such legislature ~ a decade ago but nothing major came of it) - you could still make a game like spec ops since there isn't anything outright restricting the kind of content/themes you can create - it's just up to a developer somewhere out there to deliver on the promise and produce something that really engages people and ~*lifts*~ the medium. I personally don't think that's happened yet but some people do.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Jerry Cotton posted:

The Comics Code was not "legal", it was self-censorship. Just like the ratings systems games companies adhere to so they can get sold in shops.

I don't know how it could be argued that it was "self"-censorship or that it wasn't the result of a legislative process (in this case, an alternative to one).

If you wanted general retailers to sell your comic book it needed a CCA stamp, independent distributors weren't popular enough on their own to maintain the industry. If you wanted the stamp and were an independent publisher, you needed to submit a draft to an external committee (run by the ACMP, a body explicitly formed to regulate comic books) who could then arbitrarily dictate changes in exchange for approval, arbitrary because the rules (as written) on restricted/forbidden content was loose, flexible and open to interpretation. A famous example was EC comics going through hell to publish a story about a black astronaut, an idea then offensive to contemporary sensibilities, and the only reason they went through that ordeal was because there was no hope of effective distribution without a general retailer - that's not really indicative of self-censorship. Unlike our modern rating systems, there were no grades in the CCA. The default would've been something like an E or G. Companies like DC and Marvel didn't develop their own in-house rating systems for self-regulation until the 2000s.

e: I guess it's better to make the comparison like this. If you tried to get approval for a game like spec ops under restrictions similar to old comic books ones you'd find dozens of hurdles. There wouldn't be explicit violence for one, or even pictures showing its aftermath - there might not even be weapons period. You can't raise your rating to Mature to avoid these limits. A committee could also object to your themes/motifs being too anti-authoritative, essentially reducing you to square one since even your base concept is unpublishable.

hard counter has a new favorite as of 02:14 on Dec 1, 2016

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

yeah like my bones weren't going to become dust caking the bottom of some megamall already :jerkbag:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Cuntellectual posted:

What does that even mean??

i'm guessing it's a jab at the juvenile content and aesthetics of metal bands, or how they're perceived anyway, focusing especially on their histrionic material and delivery that's perhaps more suited to the grosser tastes of teenagers (who insist Linkin Park's Crawling has more complexity and nuance than the whole of western animation other music and plebs just don't get this)

between hair metal and death metal bands, you run the whole gamut of shonen jump fashion tips for young men while typical subject matter in other sub-genres sometimes include dragons and fantasy book allusions, fedora-tipping ballads to Sagan and hot takes on phil 101 concepts to really seize the trenchcoat wearing market by the balls

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

fruit on the bottom posted:

I don't really think there's anything wrong with liking anime or SU or even MLP. What's weird is making that a large part of your identity.

If you're a creepy gently caress, that's a totally separate quality that might be correlated to liking MLP, but I still don't feel like making fun of someone for watching the show. If they're worth making fun of then they'll give me something specific to work with.

:agreed:

If there were no such thing as mlp there might not be bronies per se but there'd still be the kind of people who fall nose deep into obsession doing some other dumb thing. It's not really damning of the normal fans that these weirdos also exist in their group imuo.

I do, however, think that the creepier fans do lay bare the worst parts of their favorite franchise or whatever - for example extremely left/right autocratics sometimes get real deep into certain science fictions because there's something in those properties that appeals to those sorts and then attracts them in numbers. I don't really criticize people just for their tastes alone, but I can sometimes be critical of the actual franchise for catering to strange tastes. Sometimes a show really does earn the neckbeard of its fanbase when it makes sure to include cheesecake or whatever.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

icantfindaname posted:

i dunno, a lot of anime is bad, yes, but the fact is there's a strong undercurrent of racism and orientalism present in most discourse critical of anime and japanese media, and even in a lot of it that's not explicitly critical.

I think that's two separate things; there are legitimate issues with some animus but then some people also resort to slurs or :biotruths: to express their opinion in way that engages with the ethnicity of the creator rather than with the relevant aspects of the creation.

Pick posted:

Animation is essentially just art with a time axis, the fact that it's 95% Johnny Test is inexplicable and a travesty.

Jastiger posted:

Eugenics isn't bad.

jastiger pls no, we already discussed this: eugenics explicitly frames itself in way that it's the science of controlling genes at the population level for the benefit of society, even without abuse (which there is so much room for) and with the noblest of intentions it's still a p. spooky endeavor considering the means it requires to realistically achieve its ends

what you probably actually want is just the normal science of medicine, one that isn't afraid to use therapeutic gene manipulation to treat inheritable disease

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Jastiger posted:

I dont see how the top paragraph conflicts or is even necessarily different than the bottom one.

excellent, then i have produced the thing you really wanted out of eugenics without actually resorting to eugenics

case closed

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

MisterBibs posted:

I legitimately like the Warhammer 40k setting and story. Not because it's Hard Men Making Hard Decisions, not because it's a way to indirectly say you like fascism. I like it because it's a grand tragedy.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

it's a joke setting actually

Tiggum posted:

The 40k setting is great because it's completely impossible to take seriously and everything seems like it was created by a team of ten-year-olds one-upping each other.

It's an unusual setting in the sense that the game/hobby existed before the lore so the lore just went hog wild in justifying the game & hobby and it sorta worked (if your inner child's no older than 13 anyway). Everything so dark and grim because the setting's built around a tabletop wargame, and not the other way around as when you're borrowing an IP to make a new game, so everything's absolutely war-centric but in a light way since it's consumed through a TT game. The sillier parts of the lore's exist so you can model whatever dumb, insane thing you think's cool on your tiny space man with a lot of leeway. The creators were university-educated nerds who obviously had a lot of fun on this project and used it to get out whatever else was on their minds. Incidentally, for example, they shared a local british pub frequented by miners during the Thatcher government so they also used the setting to poke fun at the UK's prominent figures and policies via amateur Orwellian satire essentially. Anyway, 40k's pretty alright for a setting if you don't mind popcorn fiction and it offers a good example of function meeting purpose. It's not a deep and serious setting because it doesn't need to be.

hard counter has a new favorite as of 00:45 on Dec 8, 2016

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Henchman of Santa posted:

He chose one of the most aggressively anti-LGBT politicians in America as his VP.

i kind of wonder who chose who here, seeing as republican party reps almost uniformly distanced themselves from trump, starting from before the nomination and reaching fever pitch on nov 7th - i doubt many sane republicans were willing to get on mister trump's wild ride before the 8th

trump_romney.jpg

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Henchman of Santa posted:

Including the same interview, where he said he would repeal Roe v Wade.

That's dumb, did Trump provide a rationale or explain how he was going to do it? Even as an unpopular-opinion-having ~*pro-lifer*~ I think the only long term way of 'attacking' the issue is through better sexual education, better availability of protection/contraceptives, better independent support systems for young kids, etc, etc, etc as a means of making the issue as obsolete as possible indirectly without touching legality. There's not much else you can meaningfully do to confront with the underlying causes and just outright rendering it illegal doesn't address the situation or even stop it from happening to a significant degree. You can't even regulate validity of reason either, a person is much more aware of the particulars involved their personal circumstances and involving the state to make a decision on their behalf when the matter involves intangibles like fitness of parenthood, potential quality of life, moral obligation in non-consensual pregnancy etc is insane imuo. I'm not sure what Trump's angle of attack would be here since the majority favor it anyway.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

small dogs are just fine and make steadfast friends

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Fister Roboto posted:

OK, so in Sweden and Finland, the seasons don't start on a consistent day. That's stupid.

don't worry too much about it, it's my understanding that it doesn't actually get above 0°C in finland so according to their definition seasons other than winter are just comforting lies

wee children are brought up on fairy tales of temperatures permanently rising over 10°C never to go back again

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

doverhog posted:

Equating white with boring is wrong

Eh, if I had to make an analogy here I'd say it's like when a person insists that whatever dialect they speak with has 'no accent' or is somehow more generic than others and then insists it's only other people who have true accents. Being immersed in a culture w/o any other frame of reference can really skew your judgement and can lead you into making shaky assumptions.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Das Boo posted:

What is music? I just don't know.

come with me on a journey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3fqE01YYWs

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

veni veni veni posted:

Is that a real thing or is that like 90% urban legend?

eh, it's maybe like half-and-half - unlike other places, the 'product' clubs really sell is a social experience and it's an experience the owners are actually expected to deliver, if they don't then their club will fail

for most places the experience is just like, a good time with music, alcohol, friends and strangers of your preferred sex, so most clubs will do things like hiring good DJs while trying to keep the numbers of men and women equal inside even if it means manipulating the order of a queue a bit; if they don't and the club becomes known for being a boring, sausage-fest or whatever then it might fail because that's not what people go to them for - some places do fancier social engineering (if you want to call it that) through marketing, cover fee adjustments, raised/central VIP features, atmosphere/ambiance catering and whatever else to attract certain people because a big part of the experience actually depends on the customers themselves being able to play a certain role, market research shows that some people just want to be seen by others at the VIP platform, for example

places that want to be high end usually want customers that fit their definition of high end so they might charge steep cover prices (that some people can avoid by being hot i guess) or by keeping labyrinthine queuing tiers to try and get in as many of the right people as possible, they don't discriminate against anyone per se by outright denying service but they won't do special favors for just anyone either - that's pretty much the worst-case scenario and it's rare in my experience

going as far as denying service to customers of an unpreferred race/sexuality/whatever crosses more than a few more lines

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Mu Zeta posted:

Thrawn is canon now.

good

that trilogy's been the only decent thing to come out of the whole franchise since '83, lovely clone naming system and all

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Don't forget about Farscape, which is very good in its own way.

farscape was good at doing its own thing but of all the low-rent sci fi shows i've watched, and i've probably watched them all, lexx is probably the most acquired taste of them all

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

doverhog posted:

Babylon 5 has a grand story planned out 5 seasons in advance about politics, ethics, philosophy, time travel, etc. produced cheaply, at times acted poorly, and undercut with constant uncertainty about whether they would get renewed for another season. It's a great show if you can look past the problems, but it's gonna be pretty impossible to get into now unless you are the turboest of nerds.

*it's easily the best show of all the ones mentioned in the last few pages

eh if you watched it in the late 90s/early 00s it wasn't so bad

lots of shows of questionable production value aired then, a couple of them like Hercules and Xena got to be reasonably popular too

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Sorry, you're stuck with either ice planet, desert planet, or swamp planet. Or space station. That's it.

you can thank Zahn for widening the range to include : city planet, mining planet asteroid, ocean planet, industrial wasteland planet, extreme weather planet, volcano planet and mountain planet :smug:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Junkiebev posted:

Like the thread title says, it's an Unpopular Take.

I'll say. Stalin producing one of the most incompetent military forces in the history of mankind, selected purely for party loyalty, which was not only unable to decisively invade a third rate nation but also took massive losses in the process and then only reorganized in humiliation in the nick of time to face the Germans, aren't really smooth moves that put feathers in Stalin cap if you want to remember him as ruthless but capable dude. Nor was antagonizing ethnics in the USSR to the extent of, for example, eliminating ~7 million Ukrainians through artificial famine a bold strategy for ending chronic tensions. Nor was the MR Pact an unorthodox maneuver that bought the USSR the time it needed for optimal positioning. Nor was etc, etc, etc. Fortunately at the time Germany had its own political griefs going on that turned it into an even more efficient gaffe-machine so Stalin did get to be known as the dude at the wheel when Russian men and women modernized and beat the nazis.

I know it's silly to play ad libs with history to try and optimize outcomes, you only get the people you actually had and the results they actually produced, but it's worth remembering that Stalin inherited a profound momentum towards reform from Lenin but it really does seem like the biggest contribution from the man himself was not ruining things enough to produce a critical failure. For example having to relearn Deep Battle Doctrine, a russian military theory that was an absolutely significant to their later successes, because of the purges implies to me that Stalin was a unique obstacle at times. IMHO saying Stalin was the only man for the job is like arguing that Bush was the only president for the job of squeezing out what positive results America got from Afghanistan/Iraq because, by gosh, only he had the gumption. In way it's right because that's the only scenario history gives us a definite answer for but it's still misleading IMUO. There might be better arguments for secretly Brilliant Stalin but I don't know them.

Sorry to dunk on a dude you admire, maybe I'm overlooking things here, but if you wanted another opinion that's definitely one.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

the only kind of shirt worth wearing is the kind with a massive TAPOUT emblazoned on it

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Jerry Cotton posted:

I looked them up and his young husband is gross and should wash his hair.

fry's been repressed and celibate for like 2/3rds of his life

let him have his rookie life mistakes

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Can I ask why you picked Tolstoy? I mean I know we're just comparing a dude to Moore here but I usually have a hard time appraising people whose original works I haven't actually read because I need a translation of them - some translators make totally different choices and it very much affects the reading of the whole thing. The difference may not be night and day but it's there. Don't get me wrong, I admire the ideas behind Tolstoy's work, the way he constructs and develops them, the topics he'll willing to jump on, etc, etc but I'd personally feel dishonest appraising him because I'm looking at his stuff through a veil somebody else sized up.

Pick posted:

he did, it's why he's a convicted felon

i don't think doing a fraud when he was a teen means he also ticked off the make bad relationship decisions from the common list of poor life choices tho

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

how would fry do as a panelist on sandi's QI tho

would he take first or last

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Das Boo posted:

I dunno, I think comics can be a halfway point between film and literature. A good artist can elevate the text and unlike film, a good idea won't be so terribly hampered by budget. Illustrations and woodcuts used to be a fairly common feature in literature, so it's not like looking at an image immediately dumbs down the text. Rather, a decent artist will give you subtext through imagery that might otherwise require a lengthy description. And one of my pet peeves of literature is a writer who smothers a thought in words.

I've posted it before but comics could've been a neat blend of text and imagery for conveying enormous amounts of information elegantly in a small amount of space. For a film director to have the same control over a shot as an artist they'd have to go full kubrick, either through excessive retakes or a lot of post processing, whereas an artist by default has as much control as their talent and imagination can take advantage of. In one person you essentially have the jobs of casting, shot direction, acting, production design, set design, etc, etc, etc and when unified under one coherent creative vision the results can be amazing. The rest can be managed through succinct use of text. When I read into the history of comic books I got a little salty when I became aware of just how hamstrung the medium became when a moral panic led to a number of cities actually banning them outright, resulting in fairly drastic measures that turned it into kid's medium to remain in publish. Before that happened there was a broader readership and comics covered a lot more topics than juvenile fantasies. The moral panic itself being at least half on dubious grounds didn't help either. I accept most comics then and now aren't very good but there's no good reason they can't be good now that there's more freedom.

The same's ultimately true of animated films, albeit what you gain in music, voice acting and control over pacing through a time axis, you somewhat lose in the extra bodies you need to make everything work - still, it's a fine way of expressing something neatly especially when everyone on-board has the same direction and it's a shame it's mostly a kid's thing too.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

veni veni veni posted:

Music right now is the worst it's been since the late 90's. Pop and EDM dumber than they have ever been, and most of the indie stuff coming out is either gimmicky stuff where people are throwing poo poo at the wall to see what sticks, or so derivative it's hard to take seriously. Down the road I think this will be looked at as one of the most embarrassing and forgettable decades for music.

There's obvious exceptions but the sheer amount of interesting artists seems to be at a record low.

i agree kinda but with a lot of caveats

as far as actual diversity goes music's right now in the best place it's ever been and it'll probably trend that way for a while, the market's so big that bands doing niche genres of music that would've flamed out young from lack of interest are fairly sustainable now as long as their expectations for success are modest; their fraction shares of the market might remain low but in actual # of sales it's still enough to remain lucrative, because of that sustainability there's enough new music out there from all these little bands that you will find something new, interesting and to your taste if you try, at least in my experience - finding new music btw is the easiest it's ever been mostly because of apps and the like

on the other hand with the market being so big, any radio station or whatever that just sticks to the top 10, top 20, top 100 will probably make music seem generic and lcd - there's so much incentive for mass appeal, enough layers of accessibility and enough market to make that kind of strategy highly profitable even if you're not number 1 that there's not room for anything like, weird in the top 10, it's kind of narrowed down in some respects

mostly i'm okay with the situation because i can find things i like and i don't care if a lot of music i don't really enjoy is also getting made

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

regardless of your opinion of her, it's also neat that people like Lindsey Stirling can eke out a slice without much support from the industry proper; you don't necessarily need to prove to some suits that there's abstract value in your brand just to get your foot into the business per se - you can reach out to the market directly

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

bradzilla posted:

I think it is dumb and bad to post on social media about a celebrity death as if you knew the person personally

i dunno it's pretty chic these days for celebrities to write candid, tell-all autobiographies and otherwise continuously maintain an active public image through social media/AMAs/etc or more traditionally through interviews, public appearances, whatever - i figure that's enough to give most people the impression of actually having known the person

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Grandmother of Five posted:

digitally re-creating the likeness of irl people who played a role in an older movie or tv-series, whether it is their youthful appearance that is recreated, or the actual person has died, is both extremely off-putting, and it is a sign that people are way too strongly invested in the canon and continuity of fictional universes, that something like Carrie Fisher's digital Star Wars re-apperance isn't considered some kind of massively inappropriate digital necromancy but is an acceptable homage is weird.

i mainly agree that 90-00s was a lousy time if you didn't care for the kind of music that was on the top 10, one of the more common complaints from my music buff friends was that by the time you found something you liked the band had either broken up over differences of direction (too little success) or changed their sound to fit in with what was selling; i personally just listened to a lot of classic rock/other classics at the time even if insecure millennials like to claim that dadrock or whatever was just the same poo poo-tier pop of the 60-80s that we have now - it's not

in retrospect tho if you spent an afternoon online i am willing to bet you'd find smaller groups from the era to your taste, my music buff friends back then had to work much harder and they still managed

System Metternich posted:

Yeah, that's objectively wrong. People did care a lot about music even back then.

given the dearth of entertainment ages back it's unsurprising that a dude who was wicked good at spoken poetry or storytelling was similarly in demand - people with important titles used to toss foxes to kill time for heaven's sake.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

pretty damning remembering his review of Spawn, he really seemed like a guy who actually tried to enjoy movies on some level

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Field Mousepad posted:

I just read that Spawn review and he compares it to Blade Runner.

Wow. Just wow.

Ebert posted:

They've gathered an expert creative team, and what they put on the screen are vivid, bizarre, intense images--including visions of hell that are worthy of Hieronymous Bosch.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Grandmother of Five posted:

as far as an unpopular opinion goes; crimes shouldn't be punished outside of the criminal justice system. it doesn't really matter how heinous the crime is, it isn't the job of individual citizens, other inmates, private corporations or shareholders to punish crime

I just wish there were a more satisfying balance between respect for the legal system and the few cases where a court's ruling seems far too lenient given precedents (most often due to a major difference in influence between the plaintiff and defendant), far too harsh, or in cases where a set of serious crimes already has a legal history of incurring mismatched penalties compared to the damage wrought. I don't much care for any sort of private justice, not all details are shared outside courtroom doors that would let the public make more informed judgements themselves, but I also admit the system as is frequently lets people down in unacceptable ways and maybe the public has a self-interest, if not right, to intervene.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

bean_shadow posted:

Cracked is not that bad of a site. I don't think that's an unpopular opinion as a whole since it gets traffic but goons seem to hate it.

it's pretty much airplane literature but a website, if you're killing a few minutes at work it's pretty alright but I guess that isn't high praise either

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

while i couldn't care less what goes on between other consenting adults, kinks/fetishes are a lot less exciting when you actually encounter them in person, in the wild

try meeting someone who has reduced the whole of their attraction to you onto your ethnicity or whatever, or try meeting someone who acts like they need painal to live for a pair of actually common ones; it's not always going to be a dumb harmless thing like having to scream marx puns at the top of your lungs while you seize the means of reproduction

hard counter has a new favorite as of 00:42 on Dec 31, 2016

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

You're free to dislike the system, but the incredible death penalty is sort of a cornerstone of Soulsborne difficulty; saying you don't like them because of that system but not because of the difficulty doesn't really make sense.

Dark Souls was pretty interesting because it was one of the few bideo gaems that told most of its story through the actual gameplay, and that includes the steep learning curve and maddening features like xp loss, most others try to go for a more cinematic experience where you sit through plot dumps while only controlling the action sequences (or picking just the flavor of a dialogue option). If you perform poorly or die in DS that's just part of the intended experience, other games have to pretend character deaths or poor mission performances don't happen with respect to the stories they tell because you're usually taking the role of a mortal but elite, veteran protagonist who never fails, unless by inevitable betrayal.

In general the DS writers seemed like they knew they were creating the lore and backstory for a gideo vame, and not an epic fantasy novel, so they made appropriate decisions. It's an oddly neat and tidy experience but you have to like the gameplay to get the most of it. A lot of people won't like the gameplay tho.

Blue Star posted:

I think most cis women feminists dont really like or give a poo poo about trans women or gender-nonconforming males, just kinda give lip service to them and use them as accessories or pretend they're so tolerant and accepting by allowing them to be around. I still think feminism should be female-only but i wish everyone would be more honest about this sort of thing. Ive noticed a lot of them will job-shame men ("He works minimum wage! LOL!") at the drop of a hat, which i actually kinda do have a problem with. Male rape victims also get mocked. Also a lot of online feminists are bourgeoisie as gently caress and will happily support capitalism so long as they benefit from it and think nothing of it.

This is the problem I have with most online activisms, despite being united by a common rhetoric a lot these groups are weirdly balkanized at the popular level. You sometimes have groups founded with the apparent aim of conflict with another group despite both having essentially the same ideas/goals (BLM, ALM). A lot of people seem to only support groups that cater to their demographic, only support sub-causes that are relevant to their own lives and prefer narrow views, their own, on acceptable arguments. Outsiders are more likely to be antagonized than be persuaded to join. It's a very vain approach to accomplishing something that's mostly selfless at its core (helping total strangers) and it doesn't make sense in democratic nations where you need as much support as possible to effect change. I'm not surprised some people call it a fashion statement when it's done like that.

vvv e: you'd be surprised tho, some people would call things like raising profile and awareness action

hard counter has a new favorite as of 20:03 on Jan 2, 2017

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Aphrodite posted:

Let's not legitimize "All Lives Matter" idiots by pretending they actually have a cause.

I'm not the one legitimizing them per se, apparently like 3/4ths of Americans support them over the alternative and it has actual senatorial support despite being a little thin around the edges. It's definitely worth mentioning as a sectarian thing that weirdly exists.

WampaLord posted:

Dark Souls has no story, it has story-related flavoring poured over an action game.

Nah, it's just primarily told through action. It's neat how much legitimate enthusiasm some people have over puzzling it all together too :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Sic Semper Goon posted:

I'm personally indifferent, but I have noticed whenever the subject comes up, the reaction to even the mildest criticism of the practise is comparable to the reaction of someone openly swearing allegiance to the Third Reich.

The case is the same with criticising piercings / other body mods.

the pyf selfie thread has been dunking on a dude with a nose ring and other facial piercings for probably 2-3 years at this point and there are threads for loling at bad tattoos and the like; it isn't sooo bad out there - but there is a line between clearly critiquing the pure aesthetics of body modification and then treating them like some kind of moral failing in and of themselves, that's where you might get some strange looks...

steinrokkan posted:

People have always been poo poo.

We have also always partaken in ritualistic cannibalism, but Jeffrey Dahmer isn't walking free.

... like i'm sure a proud mom getting a commemorative tat of her newborn (or a soldier of his buddy, whatever) isn't even in the same ballpark planet as luring men to your home, murdering them, having sex with their corpse, then consuming their tender flesh, even if both technically have roots in tradition

Leavemywife posted:

This thread isn't that bad.

ban this sick filth