Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I don't trust driverless cars. What they've managed to do technologically is undeniably cool, but I just worry that I'm putting my life into the hands of software that could easily experience some sort of unforeseen error while I'm being driven down the highway at 60 mph. It's not so much that I don't trust the engineers at Google and Tesla, but any complex computer system is going to have its share of bugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Aschlafly posted:

But you do trust the other meatbags on the road? Their brains can fail in any number of ways. They're a jury rigged kludge of parts that evolved to survive in a hostile savannah-woodland environment, not drive two-ton death machines on an asphalt road.

Not at all. I just think there are other things we should try before we bring all this new technology into the fold. It just doesn't seem like we've completely thought through some of the unintended side effects, like how tamper- and hackproof these cars will be, and whether the software will remain stable over a long period of time.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Another one I have: the original series is the best Star Trek, in my opinion. I have nothing against Deep Space Nine; it was a very well-written show that did a lot to expand the Star Trek universe. But it tended to be grimdark at times while The Next Generation tended to be utopian. TOS was a good balance between optimism and realism. It's a much better show than it's given credit for.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

WampaLord posted:

On the other hand, TOS is so incredible dated, and I'm not talking about the sets or special effects.

The sheer amount of casual sexism is jaw dropping. I've just started watching it for the first time, and while I get that the 60s were a different time, holy cow.

Fair enough. TOS is very rooted in 1960s culture. Turnabout Intruder is probably one of the worst episodes for the sexism you're talking about. I wouldn't say it's dated, though. The special effects may be, but the ideas in the episodes are still very much relevant.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Blue Star posted:

There are cars that can drive themselves in optimal conditions such as daylight, nice weather, etc. But once it becomes night, or theres rain, or snow, or random poo poo, they suck. And then there's the edge cases that will take decades to fix.

Not to mention the fact that these cars will be vulnerable to hacking and tampering in ways that we may not be able to anticipate.

It's not the technology that bothers me so much, but the puffy, sycophantic press that autonomous cars have been receiving. Most people seem to think that self-driving cars is going to lead us to a perfect future, and that worries me because it doesn't seem like there are many serious conversations about the consequences of the technology that is being developed.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It'll take time to solve those problems but the simple fact is that they aren't going to go away. They're going to only increase. Maybe it'll be slow, maybe it'll be fast. Either way they're here and won't leave.

I don't want them to disappear. I mostly just want us to be more aware of the possible downsides of technology like autonomous cars. I'm convinced that if the ultimate goal is to make roadways safer, there are steps that can be taken to do that without the need for self-driving cars.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Aesop Poprock posted:

Elon Musk is very much an old school "let's throw advanced technology at this problem and ignore the negatives" innovator in a field of scientists who actually are cautious and not ideologically obsessed. He's basically the lead scientist from jurassic park but when it comes to A.I. and robots and letting billionaires buy their way into becoming spacemen. Shits gonna go bad for him eventually and he's probably gonna get burned

That's fine, but I worry he's going to take the rest of us with him. The "innovate now and think about the consequences later" is not workable nowadays when we're innovating on grander scales: relatively untested computer systems driving our cars, etc. It's not that I'm against the technology. I just think that we need to think about the consequences of what we're doing now, before we're so invested in technological changes that it'll be too late to correct our course.

That being said, I appreciate the fact that people on this board are a lot more reasonable on this issue than certain other places online, where anything less than adoring admiration for autonomous cars is practically heresy.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I don't get why fans of Married With Children always use the Cosby Show as an example of '80s sitcoms with perfect families. Have they ever watched an episode of Cosby? Those kids were constantly getting in trouble for slacking off in school, drinking, sneaking off without permission, etc. The point of Cosby wasn't that the Huxtables were perfect, but that they were a typical family with typical problems that ultimately loved and looked out for each other.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I totally respect the fact that some people don't like the Beatles; to each his own. But I don't get where "their songs are dated" is coming from.

Just listen to whatever music you like, don't listen to what you don't like, and leave others to what they like. Bottom line.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

WampaLord posted:

Do you really not get how something like "I wanna hold your hand" seems dated?

Nope. I mean, I know where you're coming from, but I think that good music is universal across time and generations.

hard counter posted:

while the show was intended to more generally parody the family sit coms of the 80s, the shooting title of MWC before it was properly named was literally Not the Cosbys so at least the creators thought to make that comparison during production- anyway instead of just facing problems it's more like the Bundys were inherently dysfunctional whereas other contemporary families were ultimately functional even if they had to deal with the occasional bad report card or whatever

the weird thing is people at the time sometimes ended up relating more to the Bundys than to other families even tho they were a straight caricature of working class slobs, probably because they weren't afraid to deal with chronic issues nobody else would touch

True. That's one thing I'll definitely give to MWC: it was probably more realistic about certain issues than most other family sitcoms of its time. Cosby was one of the first to show a successful, loving black family, but the Huxtables were rich enough to be somewhat out of touch. Not that they never had issues, but the Bundys, like the Connors in Roseanne, were probably closer to the day-by-day experiences of a lot of people who watched that show.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

While we're on the subject of music: I actually like disco. No joke.The Saturday Night Fever soundtrack is one of my favorite albums.

The backlash against disco confuses me. If you don't like that style of music, just don't listen to it. I'm not sure why there was an entire record burning movement against it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Deep Space 9 is a great show, but it's not the best Star Trek series. The original series, with Kirk, Spock, and Bones, is the best Trek series.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Deep Space 9 is pretty good but the worst part about it is definitely Sisko. The overly-dramatic way he talks bugs me and all the baseball poo poo is really cringe-inducing.

Everyone makes fun of Shatner, but honestly, Avery Brooks is more over the top than Shatner usually was.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, DS9 in superior in every way.

Well...you're welcome to your opinion.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I like a lot of songs that critics have arbitrarily decided are the "worst ever written", including: Ob La Di, Ob La Da (Beatles); True (Spandau Ballet); Don't Worry, Be Happy (Bobby Darin).

There are some objectively awful songs out there, like Achy Breaky Heart, but these lists really seem like pretentious snobbery sometimes. There's nothing wrong with the songs listed above.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Twitch posted:

Yeah, those are just inoffensive pop songs that got way overplayed.

On a similar line, I think Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music is a perfectly good ambient noise album that was on the cutting edge of music when it was originally released.

Along those same lines is Sitting On the Dock of the Bay. One of Otis Redding's best and most original songs, but it's been overplayed so much by oldies stations that it's just background noise at this point.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

That was done by a Bobby, but it wasn't Bobby Darin; that one was Bobby McFerrin!

Oh thanks! I hadn't even noticed that until you pointed it out.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Transhumanism is a solid no for me. My body is far from perfect, but I have absolutely no interest in cybernetic implants. If I wasn't born with an ability (e.g seeing in the infrared range, hearing as good as a dog's), then I don't need it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Slime posted:

you weren't born with the ability to travel at a few dozen miles an hour but you still have a car

No, but a car was a choice that I consciously made without changing anything about my physical body to use. Unless we're talking about a hip or knee replacement, I'm not in favor of adding computer components to my body.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

That, and there's always the concern of protecting our precious bodily fluids.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

The internet of things and home automation are loving stupid and make me feel like an angry luddite. We're living in a world where people can and do hack your lightbulbs and appliances. Idiot nerds spending 10k on a bunch of stupid automation poo poo so they can turn their lights on from their phone or adjust the furnace using cloud based personal biometrics while playing their VR game and their Wifi kettle AI can predict when you need another cup of coffee. Sure it doesn't work half the time and needs hours to set up and isn't actually practical but it's so cool man!!!

I agree completely. The worst part is that the downsides of tech like this is never taken seriously until later, when people's everyday appliances are already being hacked.

It's one reason why I don't trust autonomous cars: I think adoption of the technology is moving faster than consideration of the consequences of it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Tiggum posted:

What about cybernetics to get back abilities you've lost (or should have had but unfortunately don't)? Like, if instead of glasses/contacts you could get your eyes replaced with realistic-looking prosthetics that give you great (but humanly possible) vision? And if you're happy to go that far, why not get better-than-human vision?

Good question. I would say that if it's medically needed, I don't necessarily have a problem with it. But again, I don't want superhuman abilities. I'd be happy with implants that merely restored my vision, and not Super X-Ray 2000 eye implants by Google.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I've posted about comic sans, autonomous cars, and maybe a few other things, but I have a feeling this is going to be the most controversial of all: everyone always talks about how incestual that one Folger's coffee commercial is.

I personally don't see it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Protestants are unsalveagable of course

I'm Protestant: a Baptist in the south. I believe that climate change is happening; I believe that evolution happened; I think the government should keep its nose out of religious business; I despise Trump and consistently vote Democratic; I think women are equal to men; don't believe in hell; couldn't care less which bathroom Trans people use (and don't give a poo poo about LGBTQ+ people existing); don't consider Muslims, Atheists or Jews my "enemy" or less than me because they disagree with my beliefs; and don't think that every word of the Bible is literal history.

True story.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Just in time for the Fourth of July: I loathe the "America, gently caress yeah" type patriotism you see this time of year: Budweiser's cheap and cynical stunt of renaming itself 'America', the videos and photos on social media of people shooting off guns and waving flags, the bellicose nationalism, etc. It's perfectly fine to be proud of your country and to celebrate its independence, and I'm not necessarily telling people how they should celebrate the Fourth. I just prefer more understated displays of patriotism than the in-your-face stuff that sometimes passes for patriotism.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

This might not be unpopular here, but I am getting so loving sick of seeing that macro with Kermit drinking tea. It is almost always accompanied by some hateful, dumbass opinion about people on welfare or something like that, and I hate seeing the Muppets used for that bullshit.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I almost posted this in the This...Is...Jeopardy thread: I loathe Matt Jackson, that guy who won something like a hundred consecutive games. I don't have anything against the guy personally, and I'm impressed by his intelligence. It's just that his mannerisms are obnoxious as hell. I can't watch him for more than five minutes without getting pissed off.

It wouldn't surprise me if Matt was somewhere on the spectrum.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'm not sure I've ever seen a blonde professional wrestler who didn't have gross looking hair. I don't know what it is, but all of them, including Hulk, have piss yellow hair that looks like the color of perspiration in old white men's hair.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I honestly can't stand Team America: World Police. Almost everything about it is obnoxious: the 'ironic' "America gently caress yeah" (which has become unironic), knocking down straw men of celebrities (and accusing them of bullshit for no reason), the "both sides are equally dumb" arguments, etc. I'm not sure South Park has ever done politics that isn't obnoxious and shallow, and I think so-called "South Park Republicanism" is one of the explanations for Chimp's success.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 17:03 on Jul 25, 2017

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

There was absolutely no need for all the sequels to 2001: A Space Odyssey that (over) explained everything. Part of what makes the original movie so good is the ambiguity that allows you to form your own theory about the film's message. 2010 and the subsequent sequels are like telling a good joke and then spending five minutes explaining the punchline.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I don't want "utopia". I'm really skeptical of whether a society like that would be as "perfect" and wonderful as we think it will be. I'd settle for a future like Star Trek, where we have a more egalitarian and peaceful future with the potential for human growth.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I don't remember whether I've posted this or not: Ishtar is not a bad movie at all. I watched it and thought it was really funny in some places. I don't understand how backstage drama has morphed into 'Ishtar is the only movie available in hell's movie rental store'.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Devices like 'Alexa' are disturbing. It's like real-life HAL 9000 in our own households, and the reports of these things automatically ordering stuff from online retailers after hearing someone mention an item in passing is more than unsettling. Big Brother is here, and it's many of the devices we think we can't live without.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

Those NES and SNES classic systems are loving stupid. It's incredibly easy to play any of those games a multitude of ways, even legally through a Wii you could buy for like $10 if you don't already have one you are using as a paper weight. People losing their minds over a glorified version of those junk consoles you can buy at the flea market.

I'm not sure why you'd bother with buying physical systems when emulators are just as good or better.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I've spent some time on Reddit, and opinions I've stated here that would be very controversial over there barely raised any eyebrows here. My experience with SA at least so far is that this is a better, more mature environment to have serious discussions than Reddit's environment of pissy contrarianism.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Speaking of unpopular game opinions: I've never gotten the point of Minesweeper. You click on a tile, and it's either a bomb or not. So what? I don't begrudge others liking it, but I've always found it a really boring nothing.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Tiggum posted:

It's a puzzle. You use the numbers to work out where the bombs are. It's not just randomly clicking until you either win or lose.

I understand that, and it's probably completely fair to say that I don't play it correctly. I've just never found it a particularly interesting game.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Tuna steak is great. I didn't even realize that tuna actually tasted good until I had some at a restaurant. The grade D- slop that comes in cans, though, is nasty.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'm so loving sick of hearing about Princess Diana and especially her drat funeral. I understand and respect the fact that she was a major 20th century figure. I'm sorry she died so young and so tragically. But sometimes it seems like the American press has a cargo cult for "the royals". Her death was twenty years ago. Get the gently caress over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

America's obsession with the British royal family is really strange to me. I've no particular objection to them myself but didn't you guys have a whole revolutionary war so you wouldn't have to pay attention to them?

Exactly. And yet the media loves to obsess over the latest doings of the royal children. They're cute kids, and I wish them well, but I don't care what size turd the older one shat today.