Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I dont mind Elon Musk and the crazy future tech things hes coming out with, a lot of people just seem to have a seething rage at him for being rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

anglos were a mistake.

think about it- why is Canada everyone's favourite anglo nation?

Legal weed?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Olives are great

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Hyperlynx posted:

Planescape: Torment was actually terrible and boring.

Its good but I'd probably rather read the book version

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I'm not a huge Football (no not soccer) fan but the introduction of video assistant referee has only made it less engaging to watch.

I wish the whole soccer world would collapse honestly, partly to see what the next big thing is and partly because I'm sick of hearing the terms "Stevenage v Croydon" as much as "Liverpool v Manchester".

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Neito posted:

Like, if the midfieldman has the ball and you're watching what the center is doing.

This is so unabashedly American it makes me cringe

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Gripweed posted:

Then why is it called that?

Your midfielders play in the middle but you have a centre half at one end and a centre forward at the other.

Don't even get me started on full backs and false nines.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
People who watch combat sports weird me out. Its pretty deranged to be excited by watching people beat each other up

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Cellos are cool but nothing beats a bass guitar for me

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

yeah I eat rear end posted:

My issue is with "streamers". The ones who agonize over where they put their giant red arrow on their youtubes, the ones who do super fake interactions with their viewers. It's just so superficial. Why support someone who views you as just another number in their wallet? Why enable them to keep staying at home living a life most people would envy of doing absolutely nothing but recording themselves clicking buttons for a few hours a day?

Because its not that easy or we'd all be doing it. Plenty people stream for months or years without having a significant enough audience. Its not just a case of "switch on camera, play game, get paid". Plenty people streaming on twitch right now playing obscure games with 5 viewers just because they want to. I've currently got a guy called MCanning playing Starcraft 2 on my telly, its not really something I'm watching intently but its good background noise when I'm getting ready for work in the morning. He probably makes around $3-4000 dollars a month from streaming but he also has to play Starcraft 2 for 8-12 hours a day which sounds horrific.

The guys who have this audience usually have it because they have worked to build it up. Yeah you have guys like PewDiePie or Ninja but these kind of people could donate to charity, be evangelical christians, house the homeless and feed the 5000 and some folk on here would still be "rich white guy got rich from playing videogames, it is my duty to despise him".

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
There's also the other considerations of being a sustainable but not prolific steamer. Any holidays you take is lost income, theres no pension or other benefits eg staff discount. You generally have to play just the one game which depending on your personality is either a nightmare or a dream.

I'd still quit my job and steam starcraft 8 hours a day for less money than i earn now but I'd probably be sick of it in 3 weeks.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

spit on my clit posted:

Or, if you're really lucky, you're one of those unicorn streamers like Vinesauce or Moonmoon who gets to stream whatever games they want.

Or northernlion who i will always have a soft spot for given his videos gave me the confidence to finish dark souls 1.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Uncle Lloyd posted:

I mean, that's true of hourly work in general...and I make a hell of a lot less than $4k a month.

Very true but you also didn't start at zero and have to build up every penny over 8 years.

I can only speak of my lovely office jobs but there's a fair amount of downtime. Lunch/ toilet breaks/having 5 minutes on your phone. If a steamer does any of this they lose engagement and possibly income.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

christmas boots posted:

It’s easier to separate the art from the artist when the artist isn’t still profiting off of the art.

Which is why its funny when people say "x is bad because creator of x is bad" when what they really mean is "creator of x is more affluent than me".

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Gripweed posted:

No, if you choose to separate the art from the artist, that's fine. It's one valid way of interacting with art. But it's not the only way. It's not inherently better. It's a choice you make because it's easier than having to deal with moral issues about supporting artists who are lovely people. And that's fine. But it's not a choice everyone has to make.

Its just not interesting to hear people express that choice.

Like excuse me i heard a good song on the radio, better check if the artist has 100% moral soundness before i dance to it?

No, just no.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
That's all way too smart for me to understand

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Its weird how much better Goldeneye is than ever single other Bond film all of which manage to be too dry, slow and serious.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

doverhog posted:

How do you feel about Christmas? This year I'm gonna be working the whole time, getting those fat xmas reparations. Other years tho, it was nice to eat a lot of ham etc. with the family.

Its nice to have a couple of weeks off

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Ban all cars and force people to live in a 200m radius imo

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Radius of what?

Their house

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Gripweed posted:

How about all cars have speed limiters built in that change the max speed the car can go based on the population density of the area they are currently in. If you'r eon the open highway between cities, you can go as fast as you want. But the closer you get to a population center the slower you can go. By the time you're actually in the middle of a major city, you can't drive over fifteen miles an hour.

Yeah why not that'd be functionally twice as fast as we have now

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The Witcher tv show looks great but the dialogue is chronically bad.

How can they not realise they are making a show based on a game and it should be a 45 minute long monster fight

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Witcher 1 is the jankiest videogame i have played

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

mind the walrus posted:

Still one of the best sketches they ever did: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5Zdp1RfoyI

It probably isn't unpopular here, but seriously gently caress Friends, Cheers, Everybody Loves Raymond, Frasier, How I met your Mother, Big Bang Theory, and most of the "acceptable" three camera sitcoms of the last 40 (yes 40) years.

Every show you mentioned is good apart from How I Met Your Mother which just didn't have any likeable characters

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
People who lurk on internet forums are weird

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

hawowanlawow posted:

people who ignore are also weird

Ignoring people is fine, its announcing it that's weird

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
googling "spider man venom" and spending 5 minutes looking at the cool pictures is infinitely more stimulating than watching a 2 hour long movie that's mostly just boring people

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

mind the walrus posted:

Venom--at least Venom as most people know him--is the worst of the major Spider-Man villains, and Carnage is so garbage he doesn't even count as a major villain. They're an utter waste of resources who coast entirely on their aesthetic design.

that must be why its so fine just to look at the google images

Also I learned today that there are like 9 other symbiotes

edit: I take back what I said about comic book movies, at least they are passable and only last 2 (sometimes 4) hours. The real garbage is all these low budget netflix comic book shows, a trend that probably started with smallville which had nearly 220 episodes! what the actual gently caress. thats nearly 150 hours of low budget low effort comic book swill

JollyBoyJohn has a new favorite as of 21:23 on Jan 6, 2020

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

Carrie (1976) is a better movie than The Shining and is a better King adaptation, because Kubrick is overrated and King's camp horror novels don't deserve the auteur treatment, they deserve schlocky camp. Carrie delivers.

Kubrick is definitely over-rated, I'll give you that

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

hawowanlawow posted:

who is better than Kubrick?

James Cameron and Steven Spielberg

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Spielberg is overrated as poo poo

I'm gonna stick my neck out here and say that Spielberg is actually under-rated. I say this because I'm not a big movie guy but Spielberg has he has directed so many films that I'd call all-time classics. I've never left a Spielberg movie with an empty feeling or like I'd wasted my time.

This contrasts with the 2 films that most disappointed me recently: No Country for Old Men and American Psycho which I enjoyed both of but certainly felt let down by the endings and kinda unsatisfied by in a way a Spielberg film hasn't came close to making me feel.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Gripweed posted:

How were you let down by the ending of American Psycho?

I just didn't feel satisfied, the film ended and i thought "well glad that's over i can go to bed now". I didn't hate it I just didn't immediately think "great movie, would watch again".

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Its kinda unfair to compare it to No Country For Old Men to be fair. I felt genuinely cheated by that one

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Captain Monkey posted:

Who felt cheated by No County for Old Men? That ending was really really good.

The best part of the ending of No Country For Old Men was that I could get up out my seat and think about all the far better ways I could 2 hours like doing the dishes or cleaning a toilet because that sounds more fun than that critical wank cluster of a movie. Its not the worst film I've ever seen but its definitely the least satisfying.

Best movie of 2007 people said? Superbad was ten times the movie No Country for Old Men could hope to be

JollyBoyJohn has a new favorite as of 16:39 on Jan 11, 2020

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

christmas boots posted:

You're right that No Country for Old Men wasn't the best movie of 2007.

That was There Will Be Blood.

I should really get that watched

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

christmas boots posted:

I mean I also really liked No Country for Old Men so my endorsement may not be applicable to you. But I honestly just have a good time watching DDL get into characters and nail the accents and he's chewing the scenery pretty much the whole time. IMO it doesn't "cheat" you in the same way that No Country did either, in case that was the major sticking point for you.

I finally watched it this weekend and genuinely loved it, DDL is such an excellent actor and the film really looked and sounded the part

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Master Twig posted:

I really like Lizzo. I love her attitude and I think her message of unapologetic pride in who she is and her body positivity message is wonderful and needed.

But her music is unlistenably awful.

When I first heard that Juice song I had to listen to it like 4 times in a row because its an awesome tune, can't say anything about the rest of her library

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Witcher 3 has incredible writing, its maybe the best writing and acting I've seen in a game but its actively tedious to play and if the story isn't a massive draw for you its easy to see the flaws

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Lol at people reading the Witcher books when the games exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Aphrodite posted:

The Witcher books aren't really well regarded.

Fits nicely with the games then