Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
Metal is actually bad music pretty much all around, you could fit all the good metal songs on 1 16 track album and call it 'metal music'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

I actually agree that Lem and the Stugatskys are the best sci fi writers. I'll add to that: the mid 20th century American 'great' sci fi writers like Asimov, Heinlein, and Ellison all sucked poo poo. Ray Bradbury is ok

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Yeah a lot of sci fi, especially american sci fi, is basically recasting historical events or religious stories with spaceships and lasers. The Soviet stuff is often really weird and contains an element of having an encounter with something so inexplicably different that it can never be made sense of no matter how hard you try. They're also all about how you can't even know yourself much less the universe. It just is more interesting then 'hey the collapse of the Roman Empire in space'

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

oldpainless posted:

Do you have an opinion on Niven?

I never read any Niven so no

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Starcraft is a conglomeration of 80s sci fi action movies that Blizzard employees liked. That's why every other terran unit quotes Aliens

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

In starship troopers the book the bug aliens had guns and were stand ins for the chinese bc robert Heinlein was super racist. I wish the ppl ripping off starship troopers gave their aliens guns too

Edit: but I would not want them to still be racist stand ins for chinese people

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Two things from the book stand out for me. The public beating of children for minor offenses (like this https://www.nytimes.com/1994/06/27/...%20Michael%20P.)

And the fact that the starship troopers were "on the bounce" dropping micro nukes on the skinnies.

It's basically the scene from Blackhawk Down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovRhLzL_ZHQ

bet Heinlein jerked it to this one

I remember the main character enters a building on a the skinny planet and it's full of skinnys and he wonders if it's a bunker or a church or something and tosses a bomb in anyway.

Also fun fact the us soldiers deployed in somalia called the somalis 'skinnies' in reference to the Starship Troopers aliens so it's an appropriate comparison

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

I like all the measurements I am familiar with from being raised where those measurements are used.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

None of warhammer is particularly good but the old fantasy setting was the best because you could use the rpg of it to play early modern fantasy lawyers or cheesemongers or other interesting story premises.

40k is actually the worst and the idea that the setting is satirical does not save it from being colossally boring.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Gripweed posted:

I kinda feel like the "It's satire" thing is mainly used by people who still think the depiction of something is an endorsement of it. 40k is over the top and absurd, but rarely satirical.

You're right, it's not satirical, it's just stupid. I get that it's formed out of people asking 'but why do these goofy groups fight eternally' but you think they could come up with better answers to that question then what they did.

I guess if people like it there's not really an incentive to change it

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Mint is a subpar candy flavor. Peanut butter is superior

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Peanut butter isn't a candy flavour though?

Have you not heard of like, Reece's Pieces?

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I think I saw an ad in the 1985s.

They're still around

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Drugs are all generally pretty fun? I haven't taken heroin so I can't say but everything else I've ever taken has been at least a good time.

Cocaine definitely makes you an rear end in a top hat and being around coked up people sober is extremely obnoxious

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

American Dad, The Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park are all either juvenile garbage or at least a decade away from any good episodes. I loved them all when I was 16-17.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

I never really liked Home Movies either

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

I liked monty python when I was younger but i haven't seen it in years. I think a lot of Americans like British comedy solely because the accent sounds funny.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Solice Kirsk posted:

The English sound adorable. Even if a drugged up English psychopath was waiving a knife (lol) at me I'd think they would sound adorable.

I would definitely be murdered if some guy pulled a knife and went all 'cor blimey oi'll have yer shillings mate' on me because I would not stop laughing.

I'm just joking though I actually did get mugged in London and it was pretty low-key compared to my american mugging experience

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

At the risk of posting a popular opinion, passive aggressively sniping at other peoples unpopular opinions in the unpopular opinions thread is dumb.

Also the opie and anthony show is hot garbage

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Californians are better then like, Iowans, Wisconsinites, Michiganders, Missourians, Texans, Arizonans, or New Englanders

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

No actually California sucks

I didn't say they didn't suck they're just better then those other States

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Yeah Clarke and his peers just wrote fiction about how great and amazing colonizing the stars would be, basically assuming it would be as cool and amazing as colonizing the Earth was. It's why their focus is on the wonders of technology without any thought given to things like society, gender, or human relationships.

And it's not like there wasn't contemporary interest in those topics since they were writing at the same time as authors like Le Guin or Delany.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

What is the phuo thread for but to imply that people are pedophiles, philistines, or nihilistic morons?

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

These kinds of broad internet discussions about whether people should be hopeful or whatever are always so goddamn stupid. None of the people involved know enough of each other's lives to know if the other person's lived experiences actually justify their perspectives, so it just devolves into people calling each other stupid and people having hurt feelings.

Just don't talk about your deeply held personal beliefs with people on the internet

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

I wasn't referring to your posts

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Discord got popular among gamers as a replacement for Ventrilo bc you didn't need your own server for it I thought.

Phuo: Standing desks are superior to sitting desks, not for health reasons but because it makes it easier to pace around which allows for better thinking

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Mechanical wombs would be a good invention because humans wouldn't have to deal with pregnancy and could divide reproduction and sex from each other. Everyone I've mentioned this to thinks I'm insane

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Gripweed posted:

I support mechanical wombs as long as they still require a human host. A sort of mechanical spider that hunts someone down and latches on and draws energy from the host to grow a child in it's bulbous gestation tank

I'm cool w that

Coffee And Pie posted:

Follow up: standing desks that you put on top of a regular desk and fold down so you can sit are a scam, just get a taller chair

Having a standing desk that can become a sitting desk is giving yourself an out to be lazy and should be discouraged

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Chairs are essential for hung-over working. Also a standing desk makes the person opposite you in the cubicle row look at your rear end all day in the monitor reflection.

If your job is mind numbing you should sit, but stand up at regular intervals to keep your brain active. And get a toned rear end to please your co workers.

fizzymercy posted:

Sitting down is terrible and relaxing just makes you lazy. Work harder and whine less you'll be happier.

please help im so tired

Sitting all day is bad for your body and mind, regardless of how much you work.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Isn't cocaine the opposite of weed? Or would the opposite have to not be a drug to be opposite

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

doverhog posted:

Washington seems appealing to me because it apparently is always raining and damp there. And Minnesota obviously because it's cold and the people eat lots of cheese.

Wisconsin has better cheese and beer than Minnesota. Minnesota's main thing is being a Midwest state with a moderately sized city split into two cities for no real reason

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

I wish, too many people are open about their weird sex preferences and desires.

What's worse are the people who are really open about their mainstream, common sexual preferences and desires

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Manager Hoyden posted:

Yes my wife and I are part of the PFC, or pussy-loving community. We enjoy loving, dick-in-pussy style and it is very much a part of our core identity. I'm going to discuss, apropo of nothing, the details of my pussy-loving lifestyle and I'd appreciate you not shaming me for doing so.

You joke but there are 100% people who love talking about how much pussy they get and how much they love pussy, I've met them.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Rural gun owners are the normalest gun owners. It's suburbanite gun owners with $5000 worth of accessories who are the hosed up ones.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

If only Esperanto had taken off we could be having this conversation in Esperanto

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Gripweed posted:

An entirely new universal language is dumb. Use a simplified version of an existing, already popular language. That will work much better as a basic form of universal communication because there's already a ton of people who already speak it

I guess we're all learning pinyin baby

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

No one should be taught any language so we can learn the language of the angels

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

He played the Winkelvoss twins in the Social Network

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

I never saw it, could you compare it to pineapple express?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

When you say men's clothing do you include suits and stuff of are you just saying people should only wear sweatpants. If it's the former I disagree and if it's the latter way ahead of u