Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

3D Megadoodoo posted:

There are no good US strips about children. No, not even new Nancy, that's just a lame poo poo knock-off Mafalda.

e: I forgot about Peanuts. The first strip of Peanuts is probably the best that any strip ever could be.

Do you mean contemporary strips? Because yeah they all are garbage now, especially new Nancy.

But old Peanuts before the art style change, old Nancy, and Skippy were great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

As far as ugly people music goes, the Cars were always better than the Ramones. Look in your heart and you will see.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Guyver posted:

Folgers is fine.

Honestly you have to get pretty deep into dollar store stock before you hit actually bad coffee.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Vandar posted:

I really want a comedy based on all the CIA’s ridiculously over the top ideas to kill Fidel Castro.

Yeah, try and blow up a giant clam to kill him while he’s scuba diving, that’ll really work.

Okay let's pretend you and a close knit group of guys are in charge of a massive cocaine operation. Also you have zero oversight and literally no one is looking over your shoulder. No expectations or accountability. Every now and then you are given bonkers missions but will never actually have to accomplish them. Also you are given unlimited money - again, with no one following where it goes.

I am convinced the late 50's - 70's CIA was just like hollywood of the same time period. Just a bunch of insular weirdos flying on cocaine all the time coming up with stupid ideas and throwing blank checks at every single one.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Disenchantment. It has its moments but one of the main characters is fuckin’ unbearable and ruins the whole thing.

You'll have to be more specific because every character on the show is terribly written and unlikeable.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I have never met a poly person who wasn't a completely broken dumpster fire who either 1.) is sweet but barely functions as an adult, or 2.) is a low functioning sociopath who still lives indoors through sheer luck.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

furries > goons to basically everyone who isn't a goon lmfao

Counterpoint: normal human beings mostly don't know either group exists

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Gripweed posted:

Netflix is implementing a new feature that lets people watch shows faster, like make the show sped up so they can watch the show more quickly. If you use that feature and speed up the shows so you can watch them faster, then you shouldn't be allowed to make decisions for yourself. That is such a profoundly and obviously wrong thing to do that if you do it, then clearly it would be much better for you if there was a person who made all your decisions for you so you don't make mistakes like that anymore.

Lol our entertainment offerings are so good you'll want them to be over as soon as possible

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

docbeard posted:

You have the ability to judge other people just like you have the ability to form an opinion.

You are not entitled to either.

How is a person not entitled to their own opinion like how does that work would they ask you for permission or something

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

docbeard posted:

Mostly I just think the phrase "everyone is entitled to their opinion" is completely stupid.

The gently caress are you saying? Yes everyone is entitled to think things what the heck would the alternative even be

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Maybe that it’s pointless to say

Just one of those things people say when they’ve lost the argument

No this is going to bother me all night if I don't figure it out. This guy said that you have the ability to have an opinion but you are not entitled to it. I cannot wrap my head around this galaxy brain concept.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Gripweed posted:

I've never tried that, but my gut instinct says it would be too much, it would make the treat too heavy.

What about marshmallow fluff what does your gut tell you then

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Tiggum posted:

Magic is awesome but magicians are just the worst. I love to see something that looks impossible happen right in front of my eyes, but I don't think I've ever seen a magician who seems like a person I could stand to have even a five minute conversation with. I watch Penn & Teller: Fool Us by fast forwarding through literally everything that isn't a magic trick. It's completely unwatchable otherwise.

Most people who entertain us are insufferable shitstains on a personal level. It's okay, I think that's just the way the world is and has been forever. Like I'm pretty sure the first hunter gatherer to jokingly hide a shiny rock probably drove a gtr.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

hawowanlawow posted:

shabby chic is ugly and tacky

This hasn't been an unpopular opinion since 2011.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Telemaze posted:

I miss when goons were willing to have fun and tell ghost stories in threads, instead of elbowing each other out of the way to go "BUT GHOST ISN'T REAL"

e: I seriously miss the paranormal threads. It was fun, idgaf about how true any of it was.

Yeah kind of sad. Everyone moved from sincerity to irony to anger to nihilism. Terrible posters for terrible times I suppose.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The drum bit of In the Air Tonight is nothing special.

This doesn't feel right but I don't know enough about drum bits to argue against it

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Bojack Horseman isn't very good it turns out. I heard for a long time that it was really well written but it turns out it is another dumb adult cartoon designed to appeal to the typical adult cartoon watcher.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

CYBEReris posted:

bojack is good mostly because ""adult animation"" is an absolute wasteland of garbage sitcoms and it eventually pushes beyond being a sitcom itself by shattering the status quo repeatedly. it's not a work of genius, it's just refreshing.

It's doesn't push anything and is about as clever as a teenager depression-tweeting.

I kept watching hoping for that new and refreshing twist people were talking about, but eventually I just realized it was that all the rear end in a top hat characters were mentally ill. Whoa that sure justifies the terrible writing and stilted humor.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Shibawanko posted:

twin peaks is really fun but its just a bunch of crazy nonsense put together randomly and carried by a great cast. it has no deeper meaning or whatever

David Lynch's big secret is that nothing he has done has any deeper meaning. It's all just random nonsense with a smug eyebrow raise at the audience.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

New York > California

I think most people think California is a dumpster, and currently a dumpster fire.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Objectively the worst fans are Beyonce's and Taylor Swift's online following. As terrible as human beings come - complete irredeemable trash.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

hawowanlawow posted:

that's not very unpopular, people successfully troll SA with that take at least three times a day

e: snipe

Pick posted:

I mean you can substitute one for one with the word bitch and never ever ever have to change it in any way

Hell, twice in the last two pages!

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Gripweed posted:

It is genuinely hosed up that we don't know how much the president weighs, and nobody in a position of power is demanding the truth

I also have doubts about how tall he is. He could be anywhere from a short 250 to a tall 350 and we're being kept in the dark.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

John Lennon is in the top ten overrated musicians of all time and also he was a pretentious doughy weiner.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Gripweed posted:

I don't care that Venture Brothers got cancelled.

I like Venture Brothers a lot but drat Chris McCulloc never deserved the auteur status he got from making that. Also it's super presumptive to expect your audience to wait years at a time between seasons and still be interested.

Like your show isn't that good dude maybe get your work done like everyone else if you want to keep an audience.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

It's not that the gaps are wild and unreasonable, its just that if the show isn't outstanding people lose interest.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I don't like when people act really put out when they have to do their job. Like I just want to order a whatachicken please don't roll your eyes and act like I'm pulling you away from important business.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Every time I see someone use those weird political abbreviations/contractions I feel a massive amount of secondhand embarrassment. Like "proglib" or "tradcath". I know it was a twitter garbagebaby thing for a while but now it's slipping into actual (bad) articles from reputable sources.

This is very stupid and I wish it would stop.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Gripweed posted:

The worst part is that a lot of the time the things they're talking about aren't cool or good.

It's a linguistic catch 22 because either the person is using the phrase ironically or they are using it earnestly BUT any type who would use it at all has no compass on what is in fact cool or good.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Fake wasabi is better than real wasabi. The real stuff is weirdly mild and tastes really planty. Give me that food-dyed horseradish every time.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I think the food at IKEA is super gross. Even the stuff that's hard to mess up like a corn dog or potato wedges. The entrees remind me of school cafeteria food and the desserts remind me of the terrible sweet section of a chinese buffet.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I liked Napoleon Dynamite at the time but I rewatched it a couple years ago and man it is aggressively bad now. I wonder if it was just the brand of humor being novel at the time or whether my being a college kid made it funny by virtue of how dumb college kids are.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Hard disagree.

Coil of Medusa is a great read with the most bonkers racist last line in short story history.

edit: maybe in the history of all published fiction

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

A hundred years from now dietary supplements and the whole "food as medicine" thing are going to be seen the same way we see phrenology and humours today.

We know pretty well what a body actually needs, and if you get those things your body is getting everything it can possibly use. Also getting those things is trivially easy through a normal (or even bad) diet. Outside of that, your food or flower petals or fungus pills arent making your body do anything it doesn't normally do.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Tiggum posted:

Santa Claus, the tooth fair, Easter bunny, etc. are bad. If I don't pretend that these particular fictional beings are real, somehow I'm the arsehole even though you're the one lying to your kids? With religious stuff there's an easy out because no one's pretending other religions don't exist, so if a kid asks me if Jesus is real I can just say that some people believe he is and some people don't. But Santa? Nah, I've got to either lie or weasel my way out of it or I'm ruining Christmas. And all for what? You think kids need to be told stuff is real to enjoy it? No one's going around telling kids that Spider-Man's real but that doesn't seem to bother them.

You can just tell a tiggum post. Beep boop beep boop normal good human interaction is bad and illogical why are not the humans good and logical like me beep boop beep all food is bad nutrient paste is the only good food beep beep beep

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Solice Kirsk posted:

I thought you could get away with almost anything in Japan because they won't prosecute if they aren't 100% certain they will get a conviction.

Fun fact: weebs are so up their own rear end about japan that this topic is impossible to research on the internet. Honorubu Nihon is glorious in all ways.

Any criminal justice system with a universal conviction rate is about as trustworthy as a north korean election.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

leftists who deny the existence of tankies aren't worse than tankies, but are way more annoying.

If a person even knows the definition of "tankies" they are probably both extremely boring and terminally online.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Doctor Who is one of those things I think I'm supposed to like so I check in on it a few times a year.

It started out bad and every year is worse than the one before. Every new episode you watch is the worst episode.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Haha what a wild opinion. Yes agricorps use 80% of all water in california growing crops out of their environment, but the real problem is poor people flushing the toilet when they poo poo.

Suck poo poo fumes peasants you're destroying good mother earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

If it's the trolley problem with a single dog or a cat on the track but ten thousand goons get smeared if you pull the lever I'd pull it and go pet the animal

I would dynamite a dozen sad goon basements if it meant a single night in a slightly warmer bed for a pet