Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That new Zelda game might be fun, but nothing they have shown from it is remotely interesting or worth getting worked up over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

People can never seem to agree on whether unpopular means unpopular to the entire world or unpopular to the dwindling community of a dead gay comedy forum.

I think half of the people in these threads just use it to post their stream on conscious whether or not it's actually an unpopular opinion.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Some guy is sitting at work " man, ice cream is really cold!" "Better post in the unpopular opinion thread"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Double Dash was the first lovely mario kart game. Wasn't that the first one with the blue shells?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh yeah. The only ones I liked were the SNES one and the portable ones. Was not a fan of the gimmick in Double Dash.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Mt unpopular opinion is that I don't think Fury Road is very feminist at all.

It's not really trying to make any bold political statements as far as I can tell. I think dumb internet writers really just ran with the "Miller consulted the vagina monologues lady" thing and ran it into the ground. I think he didn't want the whole "saving sex slaves" aspect to be offensive. Which they did end up handling pretty well.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My consensus is that it's exhausting how much ideological discussion people think they need to have over dumb pop culture stuff. Arguing about this poo poo has become as much a form of escapism as the media itself.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

It bears repeating: The second highest office in the USA is currently held by a man who thinks you can electrocute the gay out of someone.

This, in itself, is weird. The right is allowed to be as angry as it likes, blaming every problem in the world on any given minority figure. However, when the left places the blame on the people who are actually responsible, they're dived on and told to coddle the open fascists. The right are never asked to "listen to the left's complaints too", but the left aren't allowed to propose any policy without patting the right on the head and making concessions.

Because it's supposed to be about making progress not winning the argument.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah my Facebook feed is mostly liberal outrage at fake or sensationalized news stories.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I guarantee the only thing that went through his head when that question was asked was "what do these idiots want to hear?"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Pastry of the Year posted:

:same:

Make deviled eggs, but first melt a tin of anchovies and their oil in a skillet, then mix that with the yolk mixture. It's heavenly.

You can melt anchovies?

Anchovies are one of the few foods that genuinely disgust me. I'll generally eat anything but there is something so gross about the taste of them to me. I even like other canned fishes. That and okra are the only foods I can't stand that I've tried.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't think it would.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is that a real thing or is that like 90% urban legend?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Can you imagine having to spend Christmas with Blue Star? I bet that's a hoot.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like that in the retarded tumblr dumpster fire Blue Star calls life, "cis women should just be called women" somehow qualifies as an unpopular opinion.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

yeah I eat rear end posted:

This is getting kind of silly. All I was saying is that the federation in star trek and the jedi in star wars are pretty lame and hamstring themselves intentionally to avoid being too militaristic, whereas Stargate doesn't - the stargate program from the beginning (and aside from the brief times it was under government control) a military program with military goals. I really don't care to argue about why it is better, my opinion is that it just makes for a better show. The political and diplomatic parts of star trek and star wars (i.e. the prequels) bore me to tears. Just blow something up.

Star Wars has really cool looking poo poo, is fun and you can watch it in a a couple of hours per movie. Star Gate Sg1 is a low rent Scy Fy show for uber nerds that no one with any taste is going to bother watching in the first place. That why Star Wars "gets all the sequels" whatever that means.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

...Which one of those do you think is not low rent?

:lol: yeah seriously. That show looked junky as poo poo from day.

Comparing Stargate to Star Wars is super dumb in the first place. One of them was some 90's movie that got a TV show spin off that was niche as hell and ran for like 10 years. The other is a series of movies that is super accessible with a lot of mainstream appeal. They also have very little in common. It's like saying "I don't get why they made so many Harry Potter movies when Law and Order is so much more believable"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't think he understands how unappealing stuff like Star Trek, Stargate, babylon 5, Farscape etc. is to the average person, because people that actually like those shows live in a bubble of people that actually watch them.

That said I'm sure Stargate (just the movie) is ripe for a reboot and you will get your wish soon enough. JJ Abrams presents Stargate can't be more than 2 years off.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm not actually calling it bad. I've seen a total of maybe 2 episodes of it. It's not the type of thing I would ever devote time to penetrating, but it may very well be good if you are. I'm just saying it's junky looking and unnapealing on an aestetic level.

I think you might be misjudging why Star Trek has the appeal it does. It's just familiarity. Not that many people actually want to watch 500 episodes of star trek but they know the characters and that's enough to warrant a movie. It's the same with comic books. Not that many people actually read the comics but we all know who batman and the xmen are etc. so they have a lot of mainstream appeal. 200 episodes of SG1 that your mom watched is not a selling point for making summer Blockbusters.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I've always though Sci fi was best packaged as a small intimate story that happens to take place in a sci fi setting. Almost all of my favorite sci fi is one movie or one book. Shows that try to tell a grand story over years about about that are incredibly unappealing to me. That's my personal unpopular opinion.

Also, related unpopular opinion. I hate "world building" and prefer to call it bloat.

Also, bad production values are pretty inexcusable in Sci-FI. If it's not interesting to look at it's not worth my time. I'm not saying it has to be big budget, but those network/cable sci fi shows from the 90's are the direct result of bad taste.

veni veni veni has a new favorite as of 19:44 on Dec 16, 2016

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Grandmother of Five posted:

sci-fi and fantasy should be considered settings, not genres. that goes for other genres that only define the setting and not the narrative; like westerns and other period pieces. these genres are often and rightfully considered trashy because great literature transcends their setting instead of being defined by it.

genres like; comedy, horror & drama actually says something worthwhile about the narrative of a work. it seems weird imo to place emphasis on setting rather than narrative in defining genre, and i think that the focus on setting over narrative is essentially what world-building is, and authors that place a high emphasis on it will place less emphasis on character and story development.

something that has a sci-fi or fantasy setting can obviously be part of any other genre, as well, but having a preference that focus on setting instead of narrative just seems rear end-backwards to me.

Definetly agree with this. I enjoy both as a setting. Sci fi I enjoy probably more than any other setting. I'd much rather watch something like Alien or Moon or Blade Runner or Mad Max etc. than some drawn out info dump. All of those stories stand on their own but use sci fi to elevate them. A lot of sci fi and fantasy confuses tmi with being good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hey now Star Wars also has rock planets.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't think that opinion is actually that unpopular amongst gamer mongoloids, but it is really dumb and bad.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Aramek posted:

Black coffee is good.
Coffee with milk is good.
Coffee with milk and sugar is good.

Black coffee with just sugar is weird and gross!

This is very true. people who only take sugar are weird as gently caress.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My opinion is that people that claim to love one Souls game but dislike the others are intentionally being contrarian or dense so they can argue on the internet.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I can't wrap my head around why, but given the thread I suppose it's not worth getting too deep into.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sad!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Hating an entire medium just because you think it makes you sound more mature is actually a pretty good indication that you are immature imao.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

yeah I eat rear end posted:

It's a good thing I dislike it for entirely different reasons then - namely, because it is bad.

Lol you are too good for the entire medium of comics but think it's a travesty that people don't respect Stargate SG1 or Babylon 5 or whatever enough. Seems like the pot calling the kettle black.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I just finished reading Maus for the first time and I'm p sure it was better than a bunch of d list actors running around in rubber alien suits for 600 hours.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Comics are art.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Music right now is the worst it's been since the late 90's. Pop and EDM dumber than they have ever been, and most of the indie stuff coming out is either gimmicky stuff where people are throwing poo poo at the wall to see what sticks, or so derivative it's hard to take seriously. Down the road I think this will be looked at as one of the most embarrassing and forgettable decades for music.

There's obvious exceptions but the sheer amount of interesting artists seems to be at a record low.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think some decades are worse than others. At least parts of decades. Either people run out of ideas or something truly terrible snowballs into popularity. there will always be a handful of interesting stuff happening in music. But 1996-2001 was a loving dark age with an incredibly disproportionate amount of bad music being made. Right now is the worst it has been since then.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

WampaLord posted:

"Music was only good when I was the proper age for it" is a pretty popular opinion.

That's not what I said though. I was a teenager in the late 90's and I've always hated that era. 2010ish and beyond has been the worst since then for a bunch of reasons.

To some degree it's probably me getting old though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

You just had/have a very narrow cultural scope.

Not really. From like 1996-2001 there was abnormally large amount of poo poo music being made and not a whole lot stuff that holds up.

I'm not claiming it was totally devoid of anything good but it was a pretty bad little era for music.

I'd like to hear what you would consider really good from that era. There was some good post hardcore stuff, some allright but mostly forgettable hip hop...most other decent stuff that came out around then were artists established in the early 90s or before. Not a whole lot of new good stuff happening in that era imao.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That is an overwhelmingly popular opinion.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

And those people are generally regarded as pieces of poo poo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Field Mousepad posted:

Also The Chronic by Dr. Dre and 37 Chambers by the Wu Tang clan. Arguably two of the greatest hip hop albums ever made.

Both early 90s so not relevant.

Also lol 90% of those artists in tiggums post, just reinforcing my statement.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought theaters were experiencing a resurgence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I only see a lot of movies in theaters because I get dragged to them and because I'm impatient. If every movie was on demand day 1 I'd never set foot in a theater again.

They should start doing big movies like PPV boxing events. Charge like $50 to see Rogue One at home opening night. Just get like 5 friends to chip in $10 and no one has to drive to some dirty theater to see it.