Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sagacious
Oct 29, 2012

Hey everybody Welcome to the AM2R thread. Hope you guys will enjoy it just like we do.
Since this is our first LP thread ever mistakes will be made and no doubt room for improvements.So if you guys have any improvement tips we will take those to heart.
Also a rule I want to add to this thread no spoilers please. AM2R has a big enough differences with the original that people who haven't played it yet might not know about.
The updates are planned to be weekly and the scans that are new to the remake will not be shown in the video but in the "document"section of the OP.

Project AM2R is a fan made game by lead developer Milton Milton "DoctorM64" Guasti and aims to recreate Metroid II: Return of Samus with updated graphics and gameplay.
Taking elements from newer Metroid titles: the fast paced gameplay of Metroid: Zero Mission,
the atmosphere and solitude of Super Metroid, and adding new game mechanics.

Metroid II: Return of Samus is the second game in the series, taking place after the first Metroid (and the Prime series)
and shortly before Super Metroid.This game has a lot of features and new items that laid the new standard for the rest of the series.
These features will be talked about in the video as they show up.

Metroid II: Return of Samus is the sequel to Metroid where Samus foiled th Space Pirates plan to use the Metroids as biological weapons.
After these events the Galactic Federation ordered the extermanation of the Metroid sepcies. After loosing contact with their troops
they decided to call in Samus Aran to finish the job and if possible save the rescue and research teams.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6

Intel
Metroids
The CHozo
Bosses

sagacious fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I guess this is the time when I post my favorite piece of fanart to the thread, which is permanently attached to my arm. Yes I'm the guy with his SA avatar tattooed on his arm.

Aside from snarky commentary and lots of metroid facts, my primary contribution to this thread will be fanart.

And in case anyone doesn't remember this commercial, this is our motivation for the thread title:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_SwD7RveNE

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
And... here we go. Episode 1!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsFpH7723TY

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Avatar or not, that is some pretty decent ink work.

sagacious
Oct 29, 2012

Episode two is up. In this part our journey is leading us to the Hydro Station what will await us there? Let's find out together.

:siren:New entry's for the scans and Document section. These will also be updated in the OP:siren:
Bosses
Gamma Metroid
Hydro Station

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

The trick mentioned was in Fusion. Once you get the speed booster you would go back the way you came by keeping the shinespark going all the way to the previous checkpoint.

sagacious
Oct 29, 2012

FeyerbrandX posted:

The trick mentioned was in Fusion. Once you get the speed booster you would go back the way you came by keeping the shinespark going all the way to the previous checkpoint.

Yeah now that you mention it, k new it was one of the GBA games. Thanks for the heads up.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I feel like this is the appropriate remix to be listening to during these sections

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laAv3mBSCug

sagacious
Oct 29, 2012

Episode three is onlline. In this episode we take on the industrial complex and get to control a neat little robot.

New entry's for the scans and Document section. These will also be updated in the OP
Torizo
Industrial Complex

:siren: Next week there won't be an update since I'm on vacation but after that it will be back to the regular update schedule :siren:

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.
Believe it or not, charged beam turning into a cluster of bombs was in Super Metroid, so it's been around as long as charge beam itself has.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Fusion has Noctus for a dark area.

Another goofy thing about the charge bombs in Super Metroid, if you let it loose on top of a charge station, it'd become one bouncing bomb.

Now though, does this game have the charge combos? I never bothered to try toggling beams in the game with the item that would be consumed with the beam combo to see if they programmed it in or not.

sagacious
Oct 29, 2012

Olesh posted:

Believe it or not, charged beam turning into a cluster of bombs was in Super Metroid, so it's been around as long as charge beam itself has.

Has it? Then I'm afraid I don't remember Super Metroid as musch as I thought I did. Then the only game it isn't in is Metroid for the old NES I guess.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

FeyerbrandX posted:

Fusion has Noctus for a dark area.

Another goofy thing about the charge bombs in Super Metroid, if you let it loose on top of a charge station, it'd become one bouncing bomb.

Now though, does this game have the charge combos? I never bothered to try toggling beams in the game with the item that would be consumed with the beam combo to see if they programmed it in or not.

It does not have charge beam combos, which would have been cool but i don't know how he would have done it since there isn't a dedicated missile button (he could have maybe had a dedicated missile button).

I remember Sagacious saying that the Phendrana Drifts theme was his favorite, so heres some music for him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRnyb0Aq_jw

Also, I noticed the overgrown caverns portion of this video has music that includes the same musical theme as industrial complex - i love the cool little details hidden in music.

Thanks for everyone who remembered the other details from the previous games!

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!

Lechtansi posted:

It does not have charge beam combos, which would have been cool but i don't know how he would have done it since there isn't a dedicated missile button (he could have maybe had a dedicated missile button).

Also, I noticed the overgrown caverns portion of this video has music that includes the same musical theme as industrial complex - i love the cool little details hidden in music.

Charge Beam Combos could be done like Super Metroid, where you'd equip just one beam and the charge beam and switch to Power Bombs (then duck?). The fact that they would be used against Metroids would be insanely useful and I wish that Doc didn't release the whole thing back in August so Nintendo didn't kill it.

Each main level theme has a remix paired with it, barring a few levels. It's something that makes me love this game even more!

Also, I'm free to record along with you guys, but not on weekends, if that's a thing :(

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

Zorglorfian posted:

Charge Beam Combos could be done like Super Metroid, where you'd equip just one beam and the charge beam and switch to Power Bombs (then duck?). The fact that they would be used against Metroids would be insanely useful and I wish that Doc didn't release the whole thing back in August so Nintendo didn't kill it.

Each main level theme has a remix paired with it, barring a few levels. It's something that makes me love this game even more!

Also, I'm free to record along with you guys, but not on weekends, if that's a thing :(

See, the funny part about that is that Doc had been releasing betas for years, so its not that Nintendo didn't know about it. I think they just waited until it was actually out before killing it (which of all the legal options they had, was probably the best for the fans).

sagacious
Oct 29, 2012

Episode four is online. Today we will blow things up with our special guest Zorglorfian.

New entry's for the scans and Document section. These will also be updated in the OP
Tank Prototype
Zeta Metroid
Mining Facility
Power Plant
The Tower

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!
Hoo BOY did we blow things up! Thanks for including me and see you next time!

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
That escape sequence is the coolest thing in AM2R, in my opinion. It's such a fantastic setpiece. I mean, I had an inkling the first time I played it that it was scripted, but I was never certain. I don't think I applauded the end of it, but I did burst out laughing.

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!

KieranWalker posted:

That escape sequence is the coolest thing in AM2R, in my opinion. It's such a fantastic setpiece. I mean, I had an inkling the first time I played it that it was scripted, but I was never certain. I don't think I applauded the end of it, but I did burst out laughing.

For me, as a Metroid Mega-Fan, I absolutely loved this game and for good reason. Not only can a fan and a community make a fangame that was so polished and great, but, for me, they managed to outdo Nintendo. NINTENDO, whose games I still play and love. Somehow I plan on getting into a creative industry (probably involving gaming, animation, or something with a story and characters) and this shows me that anything's possible. So yes, of course I clapped. I clapped for a great creative work. Let's just see if I clap for the rest of the game...

sagacious
Oct 29, 2012

KieranWalker posted:

Yeah the escape sequences in Metroid games are most of the time really well done. I like the sense of urgency it puts you in although they made it pretty obvious it was scripted if you pay attention to the timer at certain points it will just jump way higher then it should.

sagacious
Oct 29, 2012

Our special guest Zorglorfian makes his returns and brings with him a whole lot of new power ups for Samus. We are getting close to the end now as we break through what might be the last line of defenses for the Metroids.
After this episode we will have our big clean up on collectibles so stay tuned.

Distribution Center
Serris
The Tester

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Dammit, my audio cuts out during my most anticipated moment (the ice beam trivia). Let me see if I can salvage the audio on my end and post it here.

sagacious
Oct 29, 2012
Sorry there hasn't been an update lately. This was because of the holiday's and several technical difficulty's. We hoped to have an episode this week but the recording got all corrupted. So next week there should be another update.
Again sorry for the inconvenience and hopefully we see you guys next week.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Thank god we re-recorded. what was previously 45 minutes of shinespark bloopers is now 10.

sagacious
Oct 29, 2012

In this video we're gonna go after all the power-ups we missed. These also include two of the hardest shinespark puzzles in the game.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

sagacious posted:

In this video we're gonna go after all the power-ups we missed. These also include two of the hardest shinespark puzzles in the game.

So, why did you keep diagonally shinesparking in the first puzzle? I always did a horizontal and then recharged on the slope.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

WilliamAnderson posted:

So, why did you keep diagonally shinesparking in the first puzzle? I always did a horizontal and then recharged on the slope.

For me personally, i dont know how to shinespark mid air, so i always do a diagonal one at that point.

sagacious
Oct 29, 2012

And with that AM2R comes to a close as we do our last episode in the series.
I wanna thank my two guests Lechtansi and Zorg for joining me throughout the whole thing and of course you the viewers it was a pleasure doing this and I hope you guys enjoyed it as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I like the Shinespark puzzles in the GBA games. Granted, I didn't like them when I first played them (which was like... last year), because I sucked at them. With practice I managed to get... competent at them, and now I really like them. I've gotten 100% in Fushion, Zero Mission, all the Prime games, and this game! I've only played Super Metroid once, and I don't like it as much as the GBA games.

• Locked thread