Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Hi there! This is just a casual video Let's Play of the first Pokemon generation. :)

Pokemon? Really???????
With the earlier 2016 release and craze of Pokemon Go, and the extremely recent release of the new Sun and Moon, I figured we could all use a trip down memory lane back to the classic games that started it all.

Which version?
I'll be playing through Red Version since that's the version I like the best and that's what I grew up with. (Actually I grew up with both, but I played Red before Blue) If you played Blue Version (or the Special Pikachu Yellow Version) you might notice some changes between the two but it's nothing really gamechanging. I'll try and discuss the differences as they come up, so don't worry if you notice something that doesn't quite match up to what you remember. ;)

Ugh, a video LP with Subtitles?
Sorry, my mic's quality isn't up to what I would like to have in a good video LP, and screenshot LPs are a huge pain. :( The music in this game is really good though and a lot of the stuff looks better in motion. If you're worried about grinding or repetitiveness though, don't worry, because I will be fast-forwarding or cutting a lot of that out.

Spoiler policy?
Please try to keep heavy spoilers in tags. There's actually a lot of surprises in this game and I'd prefer to keep the people who haven't played the game in suspense. Anything after gen 1 is fine though, I don't care. :siren:Absolutely no Sun and Moon spoilers, though, please! It just came out. Like, literally. Don't be a dick.:siren:

You missed this thing!
This is an incredibly casual LP and definitely not a completionist one, but if you absolutely have to see me show something off, please tell me!

So I want to go hardcore discussion mode about the mechanical nature of this game for chil-
Sure, whatever, but let's not go out of control, okay? Thanks.

Didn't you do other LPs that never w-
Shush.

But how do we know you'll fini-
Shush.

Episodes
Part 1 - The Pokedex
Part 1.5 - Loose Ends
Part 2 - First Badge
Part 3 - Leaving Pewter
elsewhere
Part 4 - Mt. Moon
experiment
Part 5 - Nugget Bridge
engage

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Post reserved.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Pokemon We Got:

Charmander, aka The Best Starter™. Accept no substitutes.

Caterpie. This Bug Pokemon evolves into something fairly useless for a while but then turns into something pretty useful, and it does it all fairly quickly. Don't catch the middle evolution, though; it'll be a pain in the rear end to evolve.

Spearow. This Normal/Flying dude loving owns and is way better than Pidgey. This guy can turn into a real powerhouse if you fully train him.

Remember, these guys all need nicknames!

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Nicknames huh? Goku, Goku, Goku

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Sjs00 posted:

Nicknames huh? Goku, Goku, Goku

One Goku per save file, please.

Make it count

JetGrind
Apr 5, 2012

Tagging the streets and humming the bassline.
Name the Charmander "Agumon", this is my only request

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I nominate Pingus, Paingus, and Pongus

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Nov 19, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Charmander: Jason LS

Caterpie: Coconut

Spearow: Moe

Das Panzer
Nov 11, 2016
I nominate naming the caterpie Rupert because we need at least one random snobby British name for reasons.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Interesting.

Charmander: Chad
Caterpie: Bub
Spearow: Axel

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Name one of them Dongs, as is grand LP tradition.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Reminder that the nickname limit is 10 characters, in case that limits anybody's suggestion.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Charmander: Agumon

Caterpie: Mothra

Spearow: Pidgeot

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Charmander:Godzilla (or Gojira if that doesn't fit)

Caterpie:Beautifly

Spearow:Jerry

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Spearow: Goku

Caterpie: Dongs

E: Also, the rival does not pick a random pokemon. They pick the one your pokemon is weak against. Every time.

Lustful Man Hugs fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 19, 2016

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Charmander: I

Spearow: Love

Caterpie: Nixon

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

E: Also, the rival does not pick a random pokemon. They pick the one your pokemon is weak against. Every time.

You saw the video man, DoucheBlue picked Bulbasaur, thems the facts. :v:

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Turdmuffin. Whichever pokeman you please.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

JetGrind posted:

Name the Charmander "Agumon", this is my only request

!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

You didn't even get the free potion from the guy on Route 1. I suppose you're playing this game on hard mode, then.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Please name the caterpie Margarine

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Look man I know the odds are low. Sometimes you just gotta confront your confirmation bias

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Charmander: DONGS
Caterpie: DONGED
Spearow: WILL DONG

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Let's name Chamander TRASH because that's where he belongs.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Name Charmander Squirtle, the Caterpie Weedle, and the Spearow Pidgey.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Names:

Charmander Goku
Caterpie Krillin (why would you ever pick this dogshit pokemon)
Spearow Freeza

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.
So many things this video has shown me that I'm remembering wrong, I can't wait to see how bad my memory will be by the end of this.

Agumon, Dongs and Swellow for Charmander, Caterpie and Spearow.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I'm honestly shocked that Blue took Bulbasaur. I was certain it was programmed to always take what you're weak to. I thought that was just the games big dick move. Also, noticing you didn't get the potion from you PC or the map from Blue's sister.

Charmander = Agumon
Caterpie = God
Spearow = Feerrow

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

nine-gear crow posted:

These sound good to me.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Warmal posted:

I was certain it was programmed to always take what you're weak to

It is. You also can't catch spearow on route 2. This rom may not be entirely unmodified, which was hinted at in the op: " don't worry if you notice something that doesn't quite match up to what you remember"

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Caterpie: Margarine
Spearow: Steve

dragonx86
Jan 22, 2009

kalonZombie posted:

Let's name Chamander TRASH because that's where he belongs.

I will fight you

rimjet
Jan 7, 2011
Caterpie: Fearow
Spearow: Butterfree

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It's a shame that Charizard is the worst starter, since it looks so cool. It's extra Flying typing does nothing for it except make it weak to more types, Wing Attack is basically a renamed Peck, it can't even learn Fly in RB and Fire isn't that great since all the Ice types are Water types. Oh yeah, it's also weak to Ice since Fire doesn't resist it until next gen.

Fearow is definitely a good Pokemon though, so there's hope yet, good luck LPer.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
:psyduck: I don't think I understand what's going on here.

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.
Meow Mix Meow Mix please reconsider.
Charmander: Swordfish
Caterpie: 451
Spearow: Password

Why? No reason.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

:psyduck: I don't think I understand what's going on here.

its a perfectly normal playthrough of pokemon red

nine-gear crow posted:

supporting this

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

I've got appointments and Thanksgiving stuff to do this week, so I (most likely) won't be able to get Part 2 out until the weekend at the earliest, but you can enjoy this nice mini-update tonight!

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
I like how you've gone back to redo the things that people in the thread pointed out you'd missed, even though it is a casual run. Even if it is half an update, I appreciate the effort. I don't think I've played these games since Gold & Silver, and I never played them to death anyway, so I don't know about all the hidden items and I only loosely know where we're going. I think I actually missed that rival fight when I played, just like you said.

Going back to something from the thread for a second, regarding a spoilered comment earlier, I'm amazed at how people remember things like which Pokemon appear in which games and what areas you have to be in to catch them. I had a huge combined Red & Blue superguide with the entire Pokedex and all that stuff in it (I think mine even had the island glitch everyone used for infinite Rare Candies), and even then there was a lot I couldn't find like how to catch Alakazam (I was dumb), and I never knew about the STAB bonus. But then again it's understandable when you consider that people know these games well enough to do speedruns that rely on taking specific paths through grass to minimise the chance of a fight, or the near-death music overriding Pokemon sounds and animations to save a couple frames at a time.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I've never played the Pokemon games so this should be perfectly normal fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
I haven't played Red since it came out, back when I played it in the quad with the other drama club nerds at lunch.

We didn't get beat up solely because we traveled in packs.

Anyway, it's been so long I only experience occasional "wait a second..." flashes.

• Locked thread