Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

Shoenin posted:

who or what is Ariana Grande

She is essentially a more recent Christina Aguilera.

Can't believe I broke my lurker status in this thread to break that nugget.

Trying to decide what to do with some of the "friend" summons. None of them seem to be worth a poo poo, so I guess I could dump them into CoD or the 2 Exdeaths I've got...I don't think I'd get that much gil from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Cry Havoc posted:

use this to decide whether you will pull for her

https://youtube.com/watch?v=SXiSVQZLje8

"Phrasing"

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Just ripped my 3rd Exdeath, 2nd this week, off of the monthly free tickets.

Now if I can just get the other ones I want...

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Awesome, I need 35 Sacred Crystals...like today...

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Is there a limit to how many sacred crystals you can get in a day?

Also if you had an unleveled Locke, would you halt production and get him maxed out asap?

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Scrublord Prime posted:

Nah, focus on your murdersquad first. Locke isn't gonna clear content, he'll just help when farming drops (aka 90% of that is just the Vortex of Awakening). Leave leveling him for a rainy day or something. Get your best characters up so you can clear content, advance the story, and be able to do stuff that improves your team like events or trials.

e: Also there's no cap for sacred crystals. The RNG is just a colossal rear end in a top hat with them nowadays. Awakening INT sounds like the most efficient way to get them, although I have abhorrent luck and stick to PRO.

Here is my dilemma: I need another 30+ or so sacred crystals to get my murder squad up to par. I have been stuck at Veritas of the Heavens pop-up, no-companion fight in Ambel for two weeks. I fought him again earlier this week and saw some improvement from when I had a worse off squad. Before it was a 1/10 of his health, now it is 1/3 of his health. Luckily Vaan can now have Full Break down the line, but after that I still feel kind of hosed and wonder if I just need more heavy damage instead of trying to do it with a balanced party.

I just got Exdeath, Charlotte and Vaan to 5* (now levels 50, 1 and 1 respectively), but need my Lenna (4* 57), and CoD (4* max) up to par. I could probably prepare 2 or 3 more units to swap in to try to fit in niche spots. I figured I have waited this long that, if I paused and popped in Locke I can make this a very small percentage more tolerable. I mean I did get 12+ or so today JUST doing INT. I know his drop rate increase isn't something I should be dropping my hopes into, but it's just a thought.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

I guess I was hoping to eek out a few more crystals with his Treasure Hunter.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

I'm going to work up CoD now, and just level the group together over the weekend.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Wow I'm putting that way back on the shelf for sure now.

Now to group vortex with splashing in some explorations, explorations with splashing vortex, individual vortex only power leveling or explorations only for some EXP...

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

cadenza posted:

Is there some secret to getting Sacred Crystals that I am missing? I'm pretty new, and I think I've been lucky with the characters I've pulled, but it feels like these are really difficult to get so I have yet to awaken a single unit. I've been running INT awakening chamber as the wiki suggests but I usually end up with 0 of them at the end.

Also, what should I be doing with the little 1-2 star guys I get for friend point summons? Presumably some of them have good TMRs that I can unlock by feeding duplicates, but they are just taking up space and I don't know if it is wise for me to spend a bunch of gems on upgrading my unit slots. I guess I'll have to do that eventually so maybe it's fine to just do it now though.

Keep grinding the vortex.

I awakened 5 units in the last 2 days. At one point I ran out of energy (at 42 currently) and was 9/10 on one unit's sacred stock, so I dumped in some lapis and re-upped, because I had been getting them pretty often

...0/4 drops
...drop another 100 lapis
...on the final attempt, 1 dropped.

The random number generator is not kind, shows no favor and there can be long periods of drought.

I decided to stop pulling friend units earlier this week because it is a bigger pain than I am ready to deal with right now. I need to work on getting levels on my murder squad so I can progress in the story, so my gil right now needs to go to gear and enhancing. I think once I get to a place where I'm smoothly going through the story I can adjust my focus.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Does the friend summon banner ever change, or should I just smoke em if I got em?

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

I had 10 saved up, and after I posted said "screw it" and rolled.

Trash.

Cost too much to use them to enhance too...

2 of some blm
2 of some bard
2 of Rizer?
and the other 4 I don't remember

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Spent all day working Vaan up to 80 just so I could work up full break.

Once he got there I immediately did the no-companion Veritas fight. Made the mistake of having baraeroa on Vaan so my DPS fell off a little. My CoD ran out of MP 1/2 way through so I lost Protectga. Lenna too a Jump and got one shotted so no more heals, Charlotte took an Aeroga to the fence and suffered due to her attachment to Golem. At 1/4 Exdeath pops off his last imperil, Vaan puts up his last full break. CoD resists the Aeroga and is at 1/4 health.

Every body wipes and I got him down to like 1/5 health.

Pop some lapis for the full body raise and started limit breaking after the initial set up, and now I can continue with content!

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Today marked either 2.5 weeks or 3 weeks of being on pause.

My friend that's is like rank 74 told me the gut check was the ice dragon that unlocks Shiva...I told him he was sorely wrong.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

In the Frosty event, what would have qualified as 1 participation point and what was the reward?

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

AegisP posted:

Clearing the very first stage? You would have been eligible for group rewards IIRC

Edit: And ranking awards, which would have been 100 lapis.
Editx2: The group rewards would have been 5x Summon Tickets, 5x Mini Power Pots, 5x Mini Shield Pots, 5x Mini Smart Pots, 5x Mini Soul Pots, 2x Burst Pots.

I was just curious since when I made the attempt when it 1st came out my units were no where near ready and got trounced in seconds.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

I am trying to justify who will be my main healer, and I am back and forth on it.

Right now my squad is:
CoD
Charlotte
Vaan
Exdeath

I am back and forth right now between Lenna and Terra. A rank 75 friend and the unit reviews point me towards Lenna because of Cheer, but Terra has Raise. So with my train of thought, if I HAVE to use Lenna, I have to bounce some one for Tellah for his Raise, which is likely Exdeath due to similar fighting traits. CoD's DPS is too high, Charlotte is showing to be a stout tank at max 5* right now, and Vaan's Full Break will just be too much to give up.

Am I over prioritizing Raise?

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

The difficulty scaling in this game cracks me up. I just broke open into the 3rd map, and every fight is Graviga then some other -aga spell and mobs are wiped. Repeat that 3 or 4 times, get to boss area, and suddenly everything you hit does 1/50th damage.

What I am saying is, basically I got Mad Ochu'd to death for 200 lapis to get the fight over with, WHILE he was on Full Break, Imperil'd, and I had shellga and protectga up...after clearing the other fights with so much a hint of the oncoming difficulty.

Also, what is up with the dramatic change in energy. 2nd map everything was 10+ energy, and now I am back to 6,7,8s

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

I'm missing the terminology, what's BC Lid.

I got her not long ago in story and haven't touched her because I thought she had the HIV or something

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Learning lessons because of companions is awesome!

Passed over a Cecil because he had gear at or below what I have now, saw a maxed out Luneth and got excited and didn't check gear/abilities.

Go into Stormy Seas to realize that the Luneth has pretty much no abilities and hits about as hard as my Lenna...

Get mowed down and no measurable amount of HP gone.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

What role does Firion fit into? Damage?

I just bought all the materials to upgrade my CoD from this King Mog event, but it wiped me clean. Not sure how I am going to scrounge up something like 12k phantasma to get the next round...

hagie fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 15, 2017

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

You've got nearly two weeks, dude.

And Firion is definitely DPS, he has so many passives at six stars it's not funny... but you will need a Dual Wield materia to fully take advantage of this, as well as maybe a Barrage materia for more damage output. He's got good survivability without it with his Drain Blade and Lancet and Bladeblitz, he just needs that little push and really shines with the right gear. He's top ten in Japan last I heard.

So I'm guessing I should stop my story progress to get these mats.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

I think I'll end up 6*-ing CoD. I have business meetings in Atlanta so running Vortex EXP during the day will be quicker than trying to focus on this event. So I'll get a handful of mats in the evenings.

Only problem is I don't have some one to fill her place for the event...

Decisions decisions

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

I've seen 1 out of the 40 runs I have done on Pro. I haven't tried expert yet considering Pro can be challenging occasionally.

With a 5* maxed crew, he wrecks my poo poo. Hits everyone for 9999 with shellga, protectra, cheer and focus up. Popped 100 lapis to continue after I got him to 3/4 health with some thundagas.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Make that 2...

Yea I don't have all that escape or mirage tank stuff. I've been playing for 1 month. I mean I put the mirage vest on her but she doesn't pull enough attention to save the day. So I just gave up.

I only used a continue that time because I had knocked him down QUICK to 1/4 left so I knew I could blow him out again, and I was on battle 3 of 4.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Prompto seemed like an excuse to have a weak looking Cloud in the game.

Then of course we find out he has the back story of him too...

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

That's a negative on Golem ghost rider...

Just skimmed Charlotte and her ability tree, then looked at Golem's skill tree and nada.

I only see Brace, Stone, and Protect as 1*

hagie fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 16, 2017

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

I just noticed the only character I have with provoke is Faris...4* level 21. Do I put her in on that rare chance, with the mirage vest? I have a feeling she would get trounced after the 1st volley if it didn't wipe the other mobs.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Is Sazh any "good" with that gear event gun?

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

I bought his gun last event because he was my only potential full breaker at the time.

But I got a Vaan now so...yea

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Cry Havoc posted:

i'm leaving her as my friend unit until i get orlandu

Noooo your Gilgamesh has gotten me through so much! (Do what you want)

So much poo poo going on I'm not sure where to continue, I feel a little overwhelmed. Main story to finish, Ariana quest, Akademeia, and cactaur just showed back up...

Also, why am I at the Water Shrine on the 3rd island and way over geared for what is available to buy in Amore? Technically I haven't bought any gear since I left the 2nd...

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Yea I have the Muscle belt and fire rods.

What's the best way to tackle this Ariana thing? Run the 3 energy one over and over to infinity or does the 5 or 8 offer better spoils? Might as well try to get everything I can so she doesn't get stuck forever at 5*...she seems "decent"

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

poo poo...I had a hard time with the 11nrg boss. Kept getting hammered with silence. Get it taken off and next round AoE silenced again.

Edit: No wait that was the 13 nrg one.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

I dunno, but I'm seeing MAP_TEXT 12524785356 in all the story quests I'm doing now instead of dialogue.

I don't care because I don't read it anyway.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

So from what I've seen in the thread, the dagger and gun in event are not worth it?

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

There isn't any rhyme or reason to the Maze right? It is you playing against the RNG as to whether you go the next round or dead-end...right?

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

I got the kaiser knuckle chick a while back.

Pulled a "freebie" Elle today. Not sure how I feel about that.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

I'm having trouble figuring out how to get Charlotte's Patriot shield. I can't figure out how to initiate it.

nevermind 2 seconds of google got me what I was looking for

hagie fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 25, 2017

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

When some one says "materia" it basically means "equip-able ability" right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Trying to do long term strategy here:

After I beat all of the main story, and have mopped up all the cleats to get every bit of lapis offered, how do I sustain my lapis?

I am looking to put 0 money in this.

• Locked thread