Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Ratzap posted:

I bring you a tale from the luck side today. One of those "I thought it could never happen to me" moments.

Doing my daily log in tasks I flipped over to summon for the daily. It threw me a blue crystal as usual and I thought "ho hum, another Fran?" and tapped it. It turned into a yellow crystal. "OK", I thought "this is unusual. Maybe it'll give me something handy". So I tapped it and it turned into a rainbow crystal. I kind of stared at it gobsmacked for a couple of seconds then thought "Meh, it's just teasing. It'll be some garbage or other". I tapped it, it swirled and up came a unit I'd never seen before and frankly not even heard of (I don't really bother chasing the news or scanning spreadsheets). I thought I'd better look this up and see if it's any use, swiped back to the summon banners and there she was looking at me. "Oh, I pulled the main banner unit..."

:stonk:

There's even a bundle to get her to 6 star. So keep on hoping guys, it CAN happen and one day, it might happen to you.

Counterpoint: I pulled a Shadow today.

I'm back in after quitting for a bit, since there was an FF6 event. Got myself a Trance Terra and fished up enough stuff to get her, Cecil, Terra, and Firion to 6*. Had I known I was going to get a Trance Terra, I'd have done Kefka, but I'll do him next time.

What should I be doing? Mostly just work my way through the story to get better gear? I'm still on the first island, story-wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I started the Bahamut event late (haven't been playing a ton, but I'm up to the Robe, at least), but I did throw in and get a Reberta, who seems to be a total monster. Currently running 5* Vaan, 6* Firion, Terra, Trance Terra, and Reberta and have Pro pretty well under control. ELT seems a bit out of my reach.

I'm also super close to a Gugnir, one more 3* Moogle or a Kain and I can just moogle the rest and make her even better. She's already at like 400 attack with a Flame Lance, which I think is pretty drat high since I'm still in Dirnado. I suppose my Trance Terra goes huge when I finally get to Kolts and get a pair of Earrings for her, too.

Who should I work on next? I have a bunch of potential 6*s, but I'm not really sure what I need. I currently have Firion, Terra, Trance Terra, Reberta, and Cecil at 6*, Kefka, Chiziru, and Cerius at 5* max level and ready to go, then a collection of potential 6*s. I'm wondering if Rain would fill Vaan's spot of buffer/debuffer better or if I should look into Setzer for status or Refia for more hardcore healing than Terra can reliably do. I also have Luka, Nine, Soliel, Exdeath, and Zyrus at 4*, haven't done much with them yet.

I currently have Vaan as my Full Break/Focus guy, but like I said, Rain would fit that spot just as well with some work. I also have Celes for Sealing Blade, Lenna for more dedicated healing, Leo, Locke, Zidane, Charlotte, and the Fencer for random gimmick bits, too.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 19, 2017

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'll start looking into Refia and Rain, then move onto Setzer. I do have Terra at 6* and honestly, between her and Cecil I never feel like I'm hurting for healing, but a more dedicated support would be nice since Terra's competing with Trance Terra for equipment right now. Thanks for the advice.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Got my Reberta's trust maxed out. Holy poo poo is Crimson Blood strong. I can almost take down the ELT raid Bahamut. I could probably even do it if my team was just a bit more buff. Rain and Refia are almost there, but I need more cactuars to get them to 100. Same deal with Firion. If I can get a Draco Spike Trance Terra will probably be all that I need to make up the difference, but the best thing I have right now is the Drakesclaw Rod for my mages.

Maybe I can do Surging Menace and get a Wizard Rod? I got rolled the first time I tried it a few days ago, though.

Edit: Woo boy that was a rough one, but I managed. Thanks, Reberta, for being a truck full of bricks.

Given that I probably won't be able to afford both, is it a good idea to prioritize the gun over the spear for the Bahamut event, given that I have both Gungnir and Crimson Blood and no good guns?

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 21, 2017

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Cao Ni Ma posted:

First bonus unit from the event since friday. gently caress these horse things

Yeah, that thing kicks my teeth in every time I see it. It'd probably be fine if I was running a real team, but I'm running the two Kings and a Sice I pulled with Reberta and Trance Terra.

And oh my god, I actually overkilled ELT Raid Bahamut. Found someone with a pretty strong Reberta and managed two Raging Thrust/Crimson Death combos to just bury him. Threw in a few Full Breaks and a double Ultima for flavor, but still. :eyepop:

I'm gonna free up some spots on my list if anyone wants on. I'll probably be running one of my 6*s as leader, but I may throw King up for the event. Certainly wouldn't mind some of your guys broken-rear end dudes on my list. My code's 943,217,866.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 22, 2017

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, I wasn't getting anything anyway, so I'm fine with just gacha rewards. I get why people who have more points would be bent, though. I managed to build all 4 pieces of equipment, get my hands on a Gungnir and most of a second, Crimson Blood, and a Draco Spike. It's basically taken me from 'having a hard time with PRO' to 'clearing elite with no KOs'.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Grace seems reasonably solid, is she worth working on? I also pulled a Xon the other day, he's worth working on too, yeah? I'm done with Refia and almost done maxing out Setzer, so I guess I need a new target and a big gently caress-off mech seems like a fun choice.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Ok, Xon it is. Might top off Firion, too. Managed to get Terra to 100, so now I have a second Ultima/Chaos Wave mage to pair with Trance Terra.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
What if I'm lazy and want that 15% Mag?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Would Terra, Trance Terra, and a friend Trance Terra tripling Chaos Wave do the job? I haven't tried that on anything yet, but just two Trance Terras ripped Bahamut apart, so a third on the stack should do some work.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I thought I'd be able to handle ELT Wilhelm. I was incorrect. Dude's a loving wall and I'm not sure what tweaks I need to make to not just get ground down. I can barely kill his posse.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Your first priority should always be defense.

Your second, in this case should be to output magic damage.

I tried it with PalCecil, Refia, Trance Terra, Rain, Terra, and a friend Trance Terra. Maybe I should swap Xon in for Terra or Cecil and go buff-stealing, since I have him maxed. I just feel like I'm missing important defensive gear because I'm still really far back in the story.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Guess I should go burn through my friend points and try to get a Stone Killer from Giott, then!

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Given that I have Reberta and Trance Terra, are Gilgamesh or Emperor worth the resources once we're done with the FF14 guys? I pulled them a bit ago and Emperor seems pretty good.

Also, didn't get enough Giotts to get Stone Killer, guess I'm leaning on Golem for my Stone Killer. Hopefully I can swing enough damage to farm ELT again like I did for Bahamut.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Haven't managed to clear ELT Titan yet, but I've gotten close. I just have a hard time keeping up with the damage. Refia just falls over with a stiff breeze, even in heavy armor with Embolden up.

Did get a Yshtola, though, so that'll be nice. Didn't have a dual cast healer.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I think I'm finally starting to get the hang of building chains. I've been using Reberta all wrong, holy poo poo. I just tried TTerra's Chaos Wave, a boosted Mystic Thrust, and a friend Orlandeau's Divine Ruination and just ripped ELT Titan apart. I feel like it'd be better if I had a dual wield for her, but I'll get that soon enough, since I have 6% to go on Zidane.

Edit: Also found a new priority for leveling by pulling a Wilhelm. Once I'm done with him (he's at 75), then it'll be Y'shtola and Minfillia.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jun 3, 2017

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm digging this event. I don't have what it takes to clear ELT without a strong friend yet, but it's definitely making more sense now that I have Mystic Thrust/Chaos Wave chaining more in hand. Got Wilhelm to 100 and he's a total monster, just a brick wall that enemies slam into.

Next up is Y'shtola. I kind of think I should have gone with Minfilia first since Refia does a decent enough job, but oh well, having a badass white mage that can do the work should definitely up my team. I'll just have her ready for when we get a new farming event, since I need a lot of Rainbow Blooms.

The only real weak link in my team is Rain and he's honestly not that bad for how flexible he is. Certainly wouldn't mind a better breaker, though.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 4, 2017

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Hustled my way through the Titan rewards and had just enough of the 1% moogles to finish Zidane's TM. Dual Wield loving get. :getin:

So what's the deal with this? Just slap two strong weapons on my best hitter and go to town? I threw a Crimson Blood and a Gungnir on Reberta and I'm hoping that'll be suitable. Either that or throw it on Trance Terra and dual Draco Spike, I guess?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

SpaceDrake posted:

First of all, I am jealous. :mad:

Second of all... not quite. While that'll do for now, just because double weapons will give you double attacks on your normal and a lot of your specials, the True Baller Ideal is that you equip two different weapons that can trigger two different 50% ATK boosts to shoot your ATK into the stratosphere. That's where the true Dark Souls begins and where these 800-900 ATK Orlandeaus come from.

The best idea for Reberta, AFAIK, is to get Dark Knight Soul off of FF2's Leon and then have her main hand a lance and off hand a 1H sword of some kind, like the Enhancer. This triggers Pike Mastery in her kit, she wears heavy armor so that gets the 20% from DKS, and the sword gets the remaining 30. Pair with the 30% ATK from Greg and whatever other +ATK you can lay hands on, and you're in business.

If you know you'll be specifically paired with an Orlandeau, it can also pay to mainhand the Holy Lance - it'll deal Holy damage and Divine Ruination makes things Holy vulnerable, so outside of specific critter type vulns it's as good or better than big stat sticks like Crimson Blood.

That makes a lot of sense, thanks. I guess for now I could lean on her own reduction, maybe throw a Flame Lance on and do Fire Breath->Mystic Thrust. It'll be a while before I get a Holy Lance and probably a decent chunk of time before Dark Knight's soul. I was trying to pick my next TM and I was looking at Dualcast from either Ludmille or TTerra, but Dark Knight's Soul would fit really well on a lot of characters.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
With all the Abels I pulled hunting for Wilhelm, I managed a Bowie Knife. Time to see what Setzer can do as part of a chain. :hellyeah:

Guessing his deal is either Red Card to build chain or Double Dice with an appropriate Killer as a finisher?

And yeah, 100% provoke has changed the way things work for me. Wilhelm's obviously silly, but I'm sure anyone that can pull that much heat is worth the time.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 5, 2017

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Scrublord Prime posted:

Yay Giant of Babel is back! :toot: Time to snag an easy moogle and challenge lapis (make sure to bring a shitkicker Orlandu for Elite, one shotting Golbez is critical to get the No KO challenge due to his AoE Death at 50% HP)

Yeah, that was very rude and caught me off-guard the first time. AoE paralyze followed by AoE death.

I came back with a friend Olive and showed him what single-target death looked like. :fuckoff:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

boy are my arms tired posted:

Hi y'all just looking for some direction. Just came back, haven't played since launch. Here's my team:

https://imgur.com/DHJpZJB

What should I look to do / focus on?

Also, friend code if anyone wants to add a newbie: 169,347,711

Fina's a pretty serviceable white mage at 5*, but you're pretty likely to get an Y'shtola from the raid banner, so she's not a really high priority due to how much better the latter is. Rain's a solid breaker/support and more durable than Vaan, so he's way better at the job. Firion gets a ton of damage-boosting abilities that'll let you take on bigger bosses more easily. Sozhe seems like he could be a pretty serviceable provoke tank (though he's missing the damage mitigation you'd really want) and seems like he could put up some damage, too.

I'd probably suggest prioritizing Firion or Y'shtola when you get her.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 6, 2017

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Sent you an add. Since it seems like we have a few new players, here's mine, I usually run something useful for the current events. Right now it's a dual wield Reberta with Golem for Stone Killer.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
So I pulled Amelia and Fohlen. Apparently Fohlen's 100 ability is a wind version of Divine Ruination (requires him or someone else to give the elemental debuff, though) and Amelia has curaja, offense and defense breaks, innate dual wield for guns, and a 10-hit attack. Hello new team members.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Hey, I'll take a boosted Firion. Could use a strong chain finisher.

On the subject of chaining madness, I think I finally have something that works. Just need to make some story progress to get the Gale Key for Sonic Knuckles and the Air Knife. Fohlen is a totally legit chainer in the vein of Orlandau. I have him with Dual Wield, my Crimson Blood and a Gungnir, plus some attack boosting stuff. I have him paired with my Reberta, who is using a Wind Spear and my Bowie Knife. If I get another Reberta or Trance Terra friend I can almost kill ELT Titan on round 2. If I had some of the better TMs, I could probably do it. It's pretty hosed that he can apply his own -75% wind debuff after dodging an attack. Everyone else on my team wants a spin-up turn, so him needing to use Vortex first is totally fine.

Chocobro, best bro. Still a pain in the rear end there's not a wind sword. It's all daggers, knuckles, spears, and katanas, which don't fit super well with a lot of the better chainers.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 11, 2017

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
How good is Bartz? I'm looking at Wind Shear and I'm thinking it could fit in well with Fohlen as a chain finisher.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm very impressed with Amelia and I'm glad I had barely enough 6* guff to get her to 100. Giving a unit a knockoff Embolden, offensive and defensive breaks, Curaja, innate dual wield, and a 10-hit AoE attack let's her cover a lot of bases. She's even got pretty good HP! I feel bad replacing Trance Terra, but I manged a 57-chain with Fohlen, Amelia, Reberta, and some friend or another, probably an Orlandau.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I've been using Fohlen for a bit and he's really solid. You open with Vortex, throw a buff on him, then start spamming Sonic Blast as part of your chain. If you get a Speedster counter off, so much the better. Get your best chainers Wind weapons to make it even more destructive.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Bartz wasn't super high on the list, I just saw his level 100 and it caught my eye. I wish there were better wind weapons. I guess I could make more Wind Spears and keep working my way towards the Air Dagger.

I guess I should decide on my next 6* after Minfilia. I'm leaning Emperor, but maybe Garland would be a good pick, since I need a hitter and don't have any extra dual wield. I can throw a Wind katana on him and go to town, though Firion would probably be better at that. I feel like I'm good on tanks, healers, and chainers.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Using a ticket got me reberta! She's good, right?

She's really good. I used her as my main damage dealer before Fohlen. Her big trick is Mystic Thrust for chaining, but her Raging Thrust into Crimson Death combo is also quite strong, especially with a friend Reberta. If you have the right elemental weapons to capitalize, she can even do 50% elemental debuffs. She's also got Recovery Jump, which means she's basically never out of MP in longer fights.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 14, 2017

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Managed a Tilith and a 5*. Of course it was another Trance Terra. Oh well, at least I got Tilith. What's the trick for building her? Just tank her up because her stuff is just hosed up and doesn't need the stats?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Well, at least the event's not super hard. I'm assuming the Trial is cheesable in some way (and that we'll be getting it)? I certainly wouldn't mind a Maxwell to help move this along.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Got enough to get some tickets from King Mog, managed a Karl, so now I have two bonus units! :toot:

And Leon's good, his TM is really useful for dual-wielders, from my understanding.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
It depends on what you're doing. You're probably better off with the all the time 15% DEF from The Gathering. If Wilhelm's down to half HP, your healer's probably dead, so you're just kind of bleeding out slowly.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Managed to get myself an Elza. My first thought was "Nice, a bonus unit for the event!" My second thought was "another Spear user?"

How good is she? I see she has a really strong break and some buffing, but where does she fit into a team?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Bonster posted:

I'm pretty happy, I've gotten Tilith and Karl from daily draws - nothing from intentionally trying to get them with tickets, but daily draws seem to be lucky for me. I'd like to get Vargas for nostalgia's sake, but I'm saving the rest of my tickets and lapis for Rikku.

Tilith isn't much good until she's fully powered though, is she?

She seems reasonably solid at 5*, but yeah, her hosed up stuff is high into her 6* levels.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Ugh, loving hell. Whiffed the esper kill on Arachne. I wanted that moogle. :(

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I was going to bitch about the regular Maxwell trial going pear-shaped the second Wilhelm died, but then I remembered Minfilia and just murderated him.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
So between a pull and an EX ticket, I now have Swimsuit Dark Fina and another Fohlen. I feel like there's a way to take advantage of these facts. If one Fohlen is hosed up, two is probably more hosed up. I guess I'd just replace Reberta with a second Fohlen?

What's the deal with Ultima chaining? Just spin up some mages with it and go to town? Because now I have Dark Fina, Trance Terra, a Terra with <5% left of her TM, an extra Trance Terra, and Alma if I really want to do it.

Edit: Forget Alma, I have an Emperor kicking around for when I get that TM Ultima. A 5 person dual-cast Ultima team does sound kinda fun, even if it probably isn't as good as an element chaining team.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jun 25, 2017

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Oh right, Dark Fina's is that 7 hit thing when she's maxed out. I guess she's a good flexible mage for other stuff, but I'll hold off and save some resources for Rikku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

HGH posted:

I have to say, for someone's who's only been back/pulling since the Floating Continent event, your recent 5* luck is absurdly insane, even if said 5* aren't game breaking.

Oh, I just don't post about all the garbage I get. I've been buying a decent amount of lapis. Stopped spending money on Dokkan Battle, so I guess I started on Exvius?

Anyway, have my Leon at 95%, since I thought the Big Bridge moogle was a 5%. It's a 10%, so now I don't want to waste the extra 5% just to finish his TM. We'll be getting a new event soon, I suppose, not a big deal.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jun 25, 2017

• Locked thread