Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
I don't remember a whole lot of the books I've had to read, but I remember reading Romeo and Juliet in high school and I STILL hate that play to this day. A class of kids giggling at "what ho!" might have had something to do with that. We also did the dumb "everyone reads a part" thing for a little bit and I grabbed at reading Mercutio because no one else could do that poo poo. If you laugh at "what ho" there's no way you can do Mercutio's speech about Mab, sorry.

High school also exposed me to Hamlet and Othello but this was a different class and the teacher really engaged us in them. I still remember her saying that if you switched the two titular characters there would be no stories because Othello is a guy who acts when he should think and Hamlet is a guy who thinks when he should act. It was around this time that I realized Shakespeare wasn't really meant to be read anyway, as these were plays and even hearing them spoken was a major improvement. Same class had us read The Little Prince (okay but kinda eh on me) and Snow Falling on Cedars (which I really liked and still have my copy of).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread