Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
there is an urban legend that gary killdall almost got his CP/M operating system on the IBM PC, but his wife told them to screw while he was flying his plane

if CP/M had been the primary os for the IBM PC and QDOS (and thus MS-DOS) never needed to exist, what would have happened?

I know there would probably be no bill and melinda gates foundation and probably no windows

what else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I’d make eye contact with him and fart. I did it all the time for like two years. I didn’t even know his full name, just heard that his coworkers thought he was a nut for complaining about “the guy who would fart on me in the break room”
Bad.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

close thread weve reached the best post

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Agile Vector posted:

close thread weve reached the best post

not yet

I want to hear some crazy theories

like big-rear end smartphones with small CRTs and attached mechanical keyboards and poo poo

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Good, imho.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
"40 kb ought to be enough for anybody" -- gary kildall, founder of digital re$earch

pram
Jun 10, 2001

That Robot posted:

there is an urban legend that gary killdall almost got his CP/M operating system on the IBM PC, but his wife told them to screw while he was flying his plane

if CP/M had been the primary os for the IBM PC and QDOS (and thus MS-DOS) never needed to exist, what would have happened?

I know there would probably be no bill and melinda gates foundation and probably no windows

what else?

nothing because unix, the apex of operating system science, already existed. HTH OP

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
why wont digital research document the bios? :argh:

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
DR-DOS owned

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

George posted:

DR-DOS owned

DOS, M.D.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord
im back with more kildall

imagine a command line os with even more 70s poo poo

that should be enough kildall to last us awhile

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

hello yes it has been 5 days and im not sure that that is long enough for the kildall quotient(the kq if you would)

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Dunno but Kildall did get to live the last few years of his life a pretty wealthy dude albeit not billionaire status.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Seamonster posted:

Dunno but Kildall did get to live the last few years of his life a pretty wealthy dude albeit not billionaire status.

all that computer chronicles scratch

Apr 7, 2003

I’d make eye contact with him and fart. I did it all the time for like two years. I didn’t even know his full name, just heard that his coworkers thought he was a nut for complaining about “the guy who would fart on me in the break room”

Seamonster posted:

Kildall was a massive drunk who died because he fell off his barstool and hit his head.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Good way to go imo

Apr 7, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

Good way to go imo

His wife made up a story that he'd gotten into a fistfight with bikers. lmao

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the whole "gary's wife told IBM to gently caress off" thing really smacks of angry grognard misogyny to me

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

tbh lots of people liked telling ibm to gently caress off

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
did any of you cunts ever have to use c/pm for actual work? i did. it was really bad

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Agile Vector posted:

tbh lots of people liked telling ibm to gently caress off

taken too soon

Apr 7, 2003

pram posted:

taken too soon

yeah, RIP IBm

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

the whole "gary's wife told IBM to gently caress off" thing really smacks of angry grognard misogyny to me
what she did was really dumb tho

i mean if the biggest name in the industry shows up with an NDA that says they can make commercial use of anything you tell them, you sign it and then BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU TELL THEM. dorothy was stupid and the company lawyer who counseled her was also stupid.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Dr. Honked posted:

did any of you cunts ever have to use c/pm for actual work? i did. it was really bad
lets make a list

- you have to log out (unmount) a disk before removing it
- allowed filename characters vary among commands
- files have to be read and written in 2k? windows

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Nov 28, 2016

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Citizen Tayne posted:

yeah, RIP IBm

once heard an oracle employee call them "itty bitty machines"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Dr. Honked posted:

i love your old war stories honked.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
the pattern you see over and over in gary kildall's career is that he just couldn't deal with the thought of the industry moving ahead without him, on terms other than his own

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Citizen Tayne posted:

yeah, RIP IBm

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

carry on then posted:

once heard an oracle employee call them "itty bitty machines"

the itty bitty machine committee

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
only time I used cpm was on my neighbour's apple ][ to write a letter

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Gazpacho posted:

lets make a list

- you have to log out (unmount) a disk before removing it
- allowed filename characters vary among commands
- files have to be read and written in 2k? windows
- file creation doesnt check for an existing file with the same name. the programmer manual says its your responsibility to prevent this

cmon honked i know you have something to share

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

pram posted:

taken too soon

yeah

if the dummy in that photo had waited for the iphone 7 plus to come out he would have had an animated high definition harry potter photo instead of some blurry greyscale turd to look at

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Seamonster posted:

dude fell off a ladder and died

such an inglorious death for a p cool guy

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Dr. Honked posted:

I would like to hear details please; im genuinely interested

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I Like How he threw a ragefit because U Wash had gates give a keynote at an event where he was also invited. guy just couldn't stand not to be at the center of things

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

That Robot posted:

dude fell off a ladder and died

such an inglorious death for a p cool guy

its good to die while working like a Man

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

lord knows I've tried

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Gazpacho posted:

I Like How he threw a ragefit because U Wash had gates give a keynote at an event where he was also invited. guy just couldn't stand not to be at the center of things

so that's what it was? i thought it was coz he couldn't think if anything else that would be groundbreaking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

That Robot posted:

so that's what it was? i thought it was coz he couldn't think if anything else that would be groundbreaking
there was also the episode where he decided he was going to destroy BASIC (and thereby gates) by releasing his own version of Logo which, while useful for teaching and scribbling, has the teeny problem of not being useful for anything else. when BASIC didn't immediately fall over dead he drew some cosmic conclusion about how corrupt hte industry was

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 5, 2016

• Locked thread