Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

Gazpacho posted:

there was also the episode where he decided he was going to destroy BASIC (and thereby gates) by releasing his own version of Logo which, while useful for teaching and scribbling, has the teeny problem of not being useful for anything else. when BASIC didn't immediately fall over dead he drew some cosmic conclusion about how corrupt hte industry was

haha holy poo poo

so just gave up and then got drunk and hit his head on a barstool? :sad:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

That Robot posted:

haha holy poo poo

so just gave up and then got drunk and hit his head on a barstool? :sad:

Yep.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

million dollar babby

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
according to reviews of dr logo, it was a CPM program but shipped with its own custom CPM on the disk that was incompatible with any stock version of CPM and furthermore didn't support FAT :waycool:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

That Robot posted:

there is an urban legend that gary killdall almost got his CP/M operating system on the IBM PC, but his wife told them to screw while he was flying his plane

if CP/M had been the primary os for the IBM PC and QDOS (and thus MS-DOS) never needed to exist, what would have happened?

I know there would probably be no bill and melinda gates foundation and probably no windows

what else?

Apple would have won the majority of the personal computer market with the Mac, duh

GEM would not be in the position that Windows is in today because Digital Research didn't get prerelease Lisa and Mac access like Microsoft was able to leverage when developing Windows

GEM also wouldn't be in the position that Windows is in today because Apple was actually successful in suing Digital Research over it (the only reason the suit against Microsoft failed was that they had contracts with MS that appeared to allow the cloning)

Microsoft would still own the office desktop with Office, but it would be Mac-only just like it was for the first few years, and Gates would still be a multibillionaire as a result

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Dr. Honked posted:

did any of you cunts ever have to use c/pm for actual work? i did. it was really bad

it was just a clone of RT-11 or RSTS or RTE or one of the other small DEC operating systems

should've gone the Alpha Micro route and cloned TOPS-10 or TOPS-20

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Smythe posted:

its good to die while working like a Man

Alternatively you end up like Artie Lange's dad.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Gazpacho posted:

according to reviews of dr logo, it was a CPM program but shipped with its own custom CPM on the disk that was incompatible with any stock version of CPM and furthermore didn't support FAT :waycool:

lol that's a bug gary

fix the bug gary

fix it fix it fix it

oh wait you're dead lmbo

eschaton posted:

Apple would have won the majority of the personal computer market with the Mac, duh

GEM would not be in the position that Windows is in today because Digital Research didn't get prerelease Lisa and Mac access like Microsoft was able to leverage when developing Windows

GEM also wouldn't be in the position that Windows is in today because Apple was actually successful in suing Digital Research over it (the only reason the suit against Microsoft failed was that they had contracts with MS that appeared to allow the cloning)

Microsoft would still own the office desktop with Office, but it would be Mac-only just like it was for the first few years, and Gates would still be a multibillionaire as a result

this is the cool and good alternate timeline answer that I wasn't expecting

very detailed look into what could have been, plus gem

very good work eschaton

eschaton posted:

it was just a clone of RT-11 or RSTS or RTE or one of the other small DEC operating systems

should've gone the Alpha Micro route and cloned TOPS-10 or TOPS-20

how long ago was that? do you think any ancient cp/m boxes are still used by one or two luddites/crazy folk?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

That Robot posted:

how long ago was that? do you think any ancient cp/m boxes are still used by one or two luddites/crazy folk?

oh, I'm sure there are some, probably even some that are business-critical

Alpha Micro was late 1970s, they originally used the WD-16 CPU but switched to 68000 as soon as they were available and had an OS written

they were basically "micro-minicomputers" for things like small offices to use via a bunch of terminals; their competition was Xenix as much as it was the smallest minis from the established minicomputer companies, Xenix won though

Digital Research had a couple of operating systems in that category too, they had CP/M-68K for people with single-user 68000 systems (I think Atari ST was originally going to run that instead of their own awful DOS) and variants of MP/M for everything for multi-user systems

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

eschaton posted:

oh, I'm sure there are some, probably even some that are business-critical

Alpha Micro was late 1970s, they originally used the WD-16 CPU but switched to 68000 as soon as they were available and had an OS written

they were basically "micro-minicomputers" for things like small offices to use via a bunch of terminals; their competition was Xenix as much as it was the smallest minis from the established minicomputer companies, Xenix won though

Digital Research had a couple of operating systems in that category too, they had CP/M-68K for people with single-user 68000 systems (I think Atari ST was originally going to run that instead of their own awful DOS) and variants of MP/M for everything for multi-user systems

awesome thank you for the detailed answer

was MP/M anything like unix or was it basically just multiuser DOS?

also the idea of Xenix is hilarious because both MS and SCO worked on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

That Robot posted:

awesome thank you for the detailed answer

was MP/M anything like unix or was it basically just multiuser DOS?

also the idea of Xenix is hilarious because both MS and SCO worked on it

I think MP/M was just multiuser CP/M, if anything the multiuser would be similar to the small DEC operating systems that CP/M was a clone of

SCO was actually spun out of Microsoft to own Xenix, it was originally an entirely Microsoft product

before they consolidated everything behind MS-DOS, they were promoting their CP/M and DOS products on the low end (they even made a Z-80 card for the Apple ][, the MicroSoft SoftCard) and Xenix on Z-8000 and 68000 on the high end

for example, the TRS-80 Model II/16, which was the Z-80 based Model II with a 68000 coprocessor board, ran Xenix and was promoted by Radio Shack as a small office solution (with terminals or Model IIIs on desktops)

and they had Xenix for a variety of 68000 systems, there was even a complete version for Apple Lisa that didn't take advantage of the bitmap display or mouse at all, but that you could hook up terminals to for multiuser use

edit: I was wrong about the spinoff, SCO was a porting shop, but they got into Xenix by porting it to 8086

eschaton fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Dec 10, 2016

• Locked thread