Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
"40 kb ought to be enough for anybody" -- gary kildall, founder of digital re$earch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
why wont digital research document the bios? :argh:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

the whole "gary's wife told IBM to gently caress off" thing really smacks of angry grognard misogyny to me
what she did was really dumb tho

i mean if the biggest name in the industry shows up with an NDA that says they can make commercial use of anything you tell them, you sign it and then BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU TELL THEM. dorothy was stupid and the company lawyer who counseled her was also stupid.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Dr. Honked posted:

did any of you cunts ever have to use c/pm for actual work? i did. it was really bad
lets make a list

- you have to log out (unmount) a disk before removing it
- allowed filename characters vary among commands
- files have to be read and written in 2k? windows

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Nov 28, 2016

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
the pattern you see over and over in gary kildall's career is that he just couldn't deal with the thought of the industry moving ahead without him, on terms other than his own

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Gazpacho posted:

lets make a list

- you have to log out (unmount) a disk before removing it
- allowed filename characters vary among commands
- files have to be read and written in 2k? windows
- file creation doesnt check for an existing file with the same name. the programmer manual says its your responsibility to prevent this

cmon honked i know you have something to share

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I Like How he threw a ragefit because U Wash had gates give a keynote at an event where he was also invited. guy just couldn't stand not to be at the center of things

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

That Robot posted:

so that's what it was? i thought it was coz he couldn't think if anything else that would be groundbreaking
there was also the episode where he decided he was going to destroy BASIC (and thereby gates) by releasing his own version of Logo which, while useful for teaching and scribbling, has the teeny problem of not being useful for anything else. when BASIC didn't immediately fall over dead he drew some cosmic conclusion about how corrupt hte industry was

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
according to reviews of dr logo, it was a CPM program but shipped with its own custom CPM on the disk that was incompatible with any stock version of CPM and furthermore didn't support FAT :waycool:

• Locked thread