Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Occultic;Nine is a murder mystery, an investigation into a conspiracy, and a reflection on the nature of the afterlife.

It's weird, in a word. It's apparently by the guy who did Chaos;Head and Steins;Gate, and those were weird too, full of otaku characters who were intensely paranoid. This show is cut from the same cloth: the main character is a weirdo who runs a blog about the occult while he's socially anxious and a self-proclaimed NEET. (He is not, he goes to school.)

However, I find it more compelling than the others as the pacing of the show is incredibly fast and it's more than the main dude: there's a reporter for an occult magazine investigating the murder of a professor who left professional academia to investigate "Tesla's Theory", whatever that is, and there's a detective digging into the same murder but with an angle for conspiracy, there's the son of the professor who doesn't believe in the occult at all - and there's the local witch, who performs curses for hire, and believes she's haunted by a devil.

Is there magic? Or is it all science? gently caress knows.

Most of the show takes place here:

It's the Blue Moon Cafe, run by another weird guy who makes these horrible drinks with amazing presentation and he might be involved, but who knows?

Okay: the first episode apparently condenses an entire light novel into twenty minutes. It's fast and confusing, but I promise it gets better. Episode two slows down, and the entire show becomes this fast-paced, crunchy mystery where things are slowly revealed and unraveled and there's a lot of bizarre things. I'm surprised at how good it is! The twists in the latest episodes have been fascinating, and I have no idea how on earth the show will tie everything together, but the ride so far is enthralling.

Give it a shot, if you haven't!

I promise it's good, character designs aside.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

I was really let down by Robotics;Note dragging on for too long, and this is completely the opposite. Things that feel like a mid season reveal happen basically every episode, it's been super fun to watch.

The first episode plays up the crazy bust character design, but it mostly gets pushed to the background once it actually gets interesting, which doesn't take more than an episode.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I want to believe that there is a serious plot reason for Ryo-tas' chest size and it will be a shocking twist

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i suspect for the same reason the cafe owner is a mincing gay stereotype: you want to look past them as someone irrelevant so it can be shocking that they are suddenly turn out to be in the know

it worked for rorshach. it'll kinda work for the cafe owner. it wont work for ryotas, she's too obviously weird

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I almost feel like Ryo-Tas and the manager could be red herrings, given how obvious it seems that they know more than they show.

Like, the manager for certain is part of the conspiracy given his role and the lingering camera shots on him, but hrrm. I trust nothing in this show, especially given the author's love of misdirection/delusions.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I watched the first episode of this and figured it would probably get really good eventually and I'd wait a few episodes to watch it. I took everyone going on about it as a good time to do that and it turns out I was right about it. So far it's reminding me a lot of Chaos;head, which is good.

Also can we please talk about the elephant in the room here? Occultic is clearly not a word, right? Like I get that Japanese can't do English all that well, but you'd think they could catch it somewhere in production. Even the subs are doing it, what the hell?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

AnoHito posted:

Also can we please talk about the elephant in the room here? Occultic is clearly not a word, right? Like I get that Japanese can't do English all that well, but you'd think they could catch it somewhere in production. Even the subs are doing it, what the hell?

I know it's not a word, but it's easy enough to understand as a word that functions like "occult-y" or "like something occult", so it's...not something I took an issue with? I mean, what would you replace it with?

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong
I feel that Ryo-tas and the cafe manager are put in the show to mock those types of characters. Ryo-tas has fan service written all over her: boobs bigger than her head, bounces around, talks like a 5 years old, and seems dumber than a pile of rocks. No actual woman would act like that. Seeing as her voice is sounds like Zonko's voice, that would mean the whole "Ryo-tas" personality is fake and she's really playing dumb and toying with the MC. For what reason? Who knows. But she clearly knows way more than she's letting on
The cafe manager is pretty much the "okama" stereotype of the above. But there's more under the stereotype: he disappears, is talking on the phone to some unseen character, and like Ryo-tas, is toying with the MC.

I want to find out what the "bug" was that lead the shady group to put down all 256 of them

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Miss Nomer posted:

I want to find out what the "bug" was that lead the shady group to put down all 256 of them

I feel it's kind of obvious that the bug is Yuta, so to speak. Something weird about how he processes data or something - I'm just guessing, I don't know what the specific is yet, but given how the detective lady couldn't read anything off of him...

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I know it's not a word, but it's easy enough to understand as a word that functions like "occult-y" or "like something occult", so it's...not something I took an issue with? I mean, what would you replace it with?

I think his issue is that occult is an adjective in its own right, and adding endings to it in order to make it more adjectivey is silly.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Did someone already mention theres a chick with huge freaking honkers in this

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

AnoHito posted:

"Occult" as a noun is a popular loan word in Japanese, and "-tic" is a common "loan suffix" to attach to words to adjectify them (like "otome-tic" to mean girly or "eigo-tic" to mean English-y). It's another example of "it looks like they're using bad English, but are actually using legitimate Japanese constructions of loan words".

Or it would be, except apparently "occultic" is in fact an English word, just an uncommon one.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
gently caress they do that in Korea too and I hate it so much.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This show is the second show since Tatami Galaxy where I've also had to frequently pause the video in order to read the subtitles. (At least for the first episode, which is the only one I've seen so far.)

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Miss Nomer posted:

I kinda figured the bug was related to that they were remaining after the fact. Yuta might be the source given there is no read on him, but I don't think the cult would have done it that way if they knew everyone was apparently still around.

The El Psy Congroo thing is just a nod right, or is this actually supposed to take place in the Steins;Gate universe?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Daedalus1134 posted:

I kinda figured the bug was related to that they were remaining after the fact. Yuta might be the source given there is no read on him, but I don't think the cult would have done it that way if they knew everyone was apparently still around.

The El Psy Congroo thing is just a nod right, or is this actually supposed to take place in the Steins;Gate universe?

I think all of these stories (Steins;Gate, Robotics;Notes, Chaos;Head, and this) take place in the same universe, but not in a very plot-relevant way.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Did someone already mention theres a chick with huge freaking honkers in this

Hm sorry I don't know if I believe you.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
This is a cool show after all

Ryotas doesn't need honkers that big though

Miss Nomer
May 7, 2007
Saving the world in a thong
That scene with the spider showing up was directed really well.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Miss Nomer posted:

I feel that Ryo-tas and the cafe manager are put in the show to mock those types of characters. Ryo-tas has fan service written all over her: boobs bigger than her head, bounces around, talks like a 5 years old, and seems dumber than a pile of rocks. No actual woman would act like that. Seeing as her voice is sounds like Zonko's voice, that would mean the whole "Ryo-tas" personality is fake and she's really playing dumb and toying with the MC. For what reason? Who knows. But she clearly knows way more than she's letting on
The cafe manager is pretty much the "okama" stereotype of the above. But there's more under the stereotype: he disappears, is talking on the phone to some unseen character, and like Ryo-tas, is toying with the MC.

Ryo-tas sounds pretty epic imo

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Oh Professor, you'll bury us all!
I feel embarrassed that it took me so long to consider whether Zonko might be Ryo-tas's 'real' self. It occurred to me that there was something about her that didn't add up, but apparently I am not imaginative enough. I even noticed the ray gun reflected in the radio display during the op, but didn't think anything about it.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
So I'm caught up somehow. Everybody in this drat show talks way too fast and I basically just have no idea what's going on so I'm just going to enjoy the ride and the steins;gate references.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Professor Irony posted:

I feel embarrassed that it took me so long to consider whether Zonko might be Ryo-tas's 'real' self. It occurred to me that there was something about her that didn't add up, but apparently I am not imaginative enough. I even noticed the ray gun reflected in the radio display during the op, but didn't think anything about it.

Here's another thought for you- what if Zonko is Ryotas is Gamota's father who managed to figure out a way to reincarnate/possess/become visible/etc? Gamota threw a line out there about "You promised that you'd guide me through the radio from beyond the grave", which sounds an awful lot like what Zonko has been doing. It would also explain the absurd figure, because the joke might be "What does a middle-aged dude know or care about back pain?". Given that he was the founder of the Society of the Seven Lucky Gods, it would make sense that he could afford the scandium treatment (alternately, he's the "Emperor" who has transcended humanity).

They also introduced the concept of post-mortem time travel in this episode, which allows for a lot more intricacy and confusion. What if Ryotas is Miyuu who went back in time and changed the form of her ghost by throwing bags of silicone on top of the corpse to see if that affected her ethereal form, like the thing with the hair? When Ryotas was in non-airhead mode she looked strikingly similar.

I'm most intrigued by Ririka at this point- Why did she steal the kotoribako, how did she make predictive doujinshi while still alive, WHY did she make the predictive doujinshi, etc.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Speaking of talking too fast, does anyone know of any other anime where they talk at a similar speed? The fast pace and zippy dialogue is honestly one of the more appealing things about the show for me. I think there's...Tatami Galaxy? But - anything else?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
-monogatari

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Blhue posted:

-monogatari

You know, I managed to completely forget about that series - I enjoyed the first season and never saw the rest of it, so I guess I might as well treat myself to a marathon. Thanks!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

StrixNebulosa posted:

You know, I managed to completely forget about that series - I enjoyed the first season and never saw the rest of it, so I guess I might as well treat myself to a marathon. Thanks!

hahaha you have no idea what you're getting into

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hey this is pretty good, I'm only up to ep 6 so I'm not going to read the thread yet (as short as it is), but i just wanted to add my little bit of praise for the series.

Really like the ED too.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I haven't started watching this yet. (I'll get to it this weekend.) But I'm glad they're continuing the trend of Itou Kanako belting out the OPs. I love her voice so much. :allears:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I watched about four episodes of this and I'm not sure I can handle any more.

It feels like watching a speedrun. Why is it paced so fast? What is rushing through everything as fast as possible supposed to accomplish?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Raxivace posted:

It feels like watching a speedrun. Why is it paced so fast? What is rushing through everything as fast as possible supposed to accomplish?

It's trying to adapt a fairly long VN with a lot of exposition and setup in one cour.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

AnoHito posted:

It's trying to adapt a fairly long VN with a lot of exposition and setup in one cour.

There's a game? I thought this was a light novel series.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

darkgray posted:

There's a game? I thought this was a light novel series.

According to wikipedia, there was a game adaptation of the light novels announced in 2015.

As for the novels, as I understand it they're permanently unfinished - there are only two out of four. So I have no clue how the anime is going to resolve.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

hahaha you have no idea what you're getting into

Bakemonogatari is good! I enjoyed rewatching it, and Nisemonogatari is more of the same so far and I'm enjoying it! (Fanservice aside, I do wish it would tone the fanservice down.) It's weird, and surprisingly slow - compared to O;9 it takes oceans of time to go anywhere, which is kind of frustrating, but oh well.

It's kind of weird to say, but the pace of O;9 remains one of the most appealing things about it to me, as - well, I'm a fast reader. It's one of the few shows that's kept up with me and it's soothing to listen to? Lots of words, lots of details to take in, and you have to think about the plot afterwards and rewatch it a few times - and it's just this weirdly satisfying surreal show. Unfortunately I haven't watched the latest episodes yet so I can't comment on any details, but I'm really looking forward to them.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Well poo poo, now I'm all caught up.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Alright, gently caress it.

Poking around a bit, in no particular order:
1) exorcist guy (well, one of them) might be the currently missing manager: check out his snazzy pink pants
2) the ghost characters don't have shadows, but manga lady got hers back
3) the ED marbles are color coded
    Yellow: Gamon
    Red: Ryoka
    Dark Blue: Sarai
    Pink: Myuu
    Green: Touko
    Light Blue: Ririka
    Grey: Aria
    Purple: Kiryuu
    Orange: Shun
also in graphic format
4) in the OP there's a shot of Gamon's radio with Ryo-tas' gun right there in our faces the whole time.

Anyway, it's pretty good. :)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It only took eleven of them, but i finally noticed that all the episodes are named after songs.

Rinoka
Sep 15, 2012

Is this hope...?
...No! That's wrong!

Raxivace posted:

Now that it's over, I'm pretty confident in saying there was just too much poo poo they had to convey to have the satisfying ending they do.

Every superfast thing is necessary, in my opnion, but the show would've benefited from getting 24 episodes, instead of 12. Still, my recommendation is to rewatch an episode until you're 100% you "got" the major information of the episode, and then move to the next.

I rewatched the more complicated episodes twice and I think I got everything. The show is definitely super cramped - this is the guy who wrote Steins;Gate so it doesn't surprise me that it's so overloaded with pseudoscience it has to lean on so heavily it can't escape it - but it's good in spite of that. I actually left the show feeling like there were actually mildly important parts of side characters I was missing, and I think that is genuinely impressive for how much the show actually tells you and gives you - not just on the plot, but on every character.

Can't wait for the VN and the Affiliate Trigger mechanic, especially since it'll probably have the missing side character information. Truly Gamo-tan's obsession with affiliates will bear fruit.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Well that was pretty decent. And for the first time ever I'm actively looking forward to a VN. So: Mission Accomplished, Project O;9.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Was that really the last episode?

Also what? at the end of the ED Gamo-tan is in cold sleep???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i suppose its meant to be some kind of neutral ending. maybe they called in some favors, plus the guy's superpowers are an asset. let him tool around with his ghost body for a while

also if theres a core theme of this show its pure class war: gently caress the rich who will live forever at the expense of the peons

• Locked thread