Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The save point system is what I think is Shadow Dragon's best idea, flat out, and is a feature I'm SORELY disappointed has not made a reappearance in later games. Especially with poo poo like how long Awakening's or Fate's maps can get. Using saves as a resource, especially when it takes a unit's time to use it is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
To be fair, no Pirate can live up to the juggernaut that is Ross

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Keldulas posted:

The save point system is what I think is Shadow Dragon's best idea, flat out, and is a feature I'm SORELY disappointed has not made a reappearance in later games. Especially with poo poo like how long Awakening's or Fate's maps can get. Using saves as a resource, especially when it takes a unit's time to use it is great.

I unironically like having to restart the whole map if I gently caress up but I might be a lunatic. It's also basically the only thing that stops arenas being completely broken, if I could save after I cleared a map and then just grind on the arena it would be a lot safer.

I will admit that screwing something up on the last turn of a map that took like an hour can be a little infuriating though.

E:

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

To be fair, no Pirate can live up to the juggernaut that is Ross

Ross and Ewan were something special :allears:

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Ogma probably had that hair in FE3 as well. The FE3 art looks a bit like the anime art to me.

Also Gonzales > Ross.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Mysticblade posted:

Also Gonzales > Ross.

If you can ever get Gonzales to hit anything, you're a luckier man than I. But still a wrong one

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I always want to use Ogma but my playstyle doesnt really allow it. Mercenaries have always been my forbidden romance basically. Thank god for 12.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

chiasaur11 posted:

Although Shanty Pete was a legendary pirate, modern viewers know him best for his generosity.

Shanty Pete's orphanage was his legacy, an institution so well run it survived for over two thousand years. It's one of the most popular income tax write-offs for Annas everywhere.

I have nothing to add, I just feel like this good post was unappreciated for being stuck at the bottom of the last page.

Keldulas posted:

It's so bizarre that this never came back, it's really good. Especially given the late game of Fates having some ridiculously long maps.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Probably because the developers assumed that if you wanted the ability to save mid-mission, you'd just play on casual.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Camel Pimp posted:

Probably because the developers assumed that if you wanted the ability to save mid-mission, you'd just play on casual.

This does remind me that this was the last FE game before Casual came out, so I guess this is sort of the prototype of that? Still, I'd have loved to have save points, especially in Fates, where there's poo poo like (Fates Spoilers) Conquest and Birthright both having two part, no checkpoint finales, and Revelations having those two chapters towards the middle that you get no chance to save between either. Guess who lost one character towards the end of each of them :smith:

I've also decided I'm going to do the art update, by the way, because there are some truly...wonderful portraits and official arts. One of my favorites is actually for Mystery of the Emblem but I'm including it anyway because my god. I'll hold off until we've met more of the characters though.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

: Do me a favor, and leave the dangerous fighting to me and my men.

: I don’t need protecting, Ogma. …I’ve got another job for you. Protect Marth for me.

I mean, I have the sweetest prf weapon this side of Wolf Beil, a bitchin' flying horse, first dibs on promotion items... and Marth? He's got a prf that wishes it was as good as mine, no horse, no promotion, and little noodly arms.

: But, Princess…

Little. Noodly. Arms.

: Very well. How could I say no to you?

LordHippoman posted:

There are some Hunters over there, including this guy. He looks like he could use a pick-me-up chat from a fellow blue-head.

Bluenette! :pseudo:

LordHippoman posted:

Here’s your other hint to talk to Castor with Caeda, delivered hopefully not as he shoots Caeda. Which can totally happen.

Yeah, if you suck. :colbert:

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Huh, I never knew there was a term for character locked weapons. Cool.

Anyway Lord Hippoman, I gotta ask now that I've read your RF1 LP. Any plans to do Rune Factory 2 someday? Its almost as bad mechanically as 1 :bang:, so I cant play it myself .

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, the term Prf comes from the GBA games, I think. Or at least the english term would've, since we started with 7. Eliwood's Rapier has a Prf rank. Also, Eliwood's Rapier is way better because it has 8 Mt, so Marth's rapier is really disappointing coming from the later GBA games.

RF2 is honestly just more of RF1. If he feels up to showing off another RF game, I'd love to see him try RF3.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Shh, if he plays RF3 we'll never see an LP of 2.

If 1 works at 100% and 2 works at 150%, then 3 works at 1000%. Its such a massive upgrade its amazing. For the record I'd say 4 is about 800%.

Now to stay on Topic; I really love the next chapter, idk Its like the chapter I always think of when FE11.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

MythosDragon posted:

I really love the next chapter, idk Its like the chapter I always think of when FE11.

The next chapter has the best line of dialogue in the game.

tunapirate
Aug 15, 2015
Shadow Dragon was the first (and only) Fire Emblem game I've ever played and to this day I'm still very confused as to what you're supposed to do with knights--theoretically they seemed useful, but they just move so slow that by the time I got to the indoor grind-y maps they were too low-leveled for me to feel comfortable using them

Also, shoutout to next chapter for having some of my favorite recruitables. I'm excited to see if any of the characters I used weren't terrible :smith:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Snorb posted:

It certainly has one of the best titles in the game.

tunapirate posted:

Shadow Dragon was the first (and only) Fire Emblem game I've ever played and to this day I'm still very confused as to what you're supposed to do with knights

For the most part, you just bench them. Knights are bad. Apparently they work well in FE12 hardmode, though!

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Knights are a bit better in games where your units can pick up and transport other units. Hell, they go to being kind of overpowered in Fates, namely due to Wary Fighter.

It helps that later games give knights better growths. Hell, in the original NES version of this game, Knights couldn't even promote.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

MythosDragon posted:

Anyway Lord Hippoman, I gotta ask now that I've read your RF1 LP. Any plans to do Rune Factory 2 someday? Its almost as bad mechanically as 1 :bang:, so I cant play it myself .

I think what made Rune Factory 1 sorta work for me, in any real capacity, was that I'd played it before a long time ago, so there was this sense of nostalgia and fondness for a lot of the game, even though going back and playing it again it really kinda sucked. RF2 I never touched, so I have a feeling that if I played it it would just be a lot of bitterness and exasperation at "oh gee here's THIS bad mechanic again", and I don't think that would be as fun for me doing it or for people to read. Some LPers, better than me, can really make that work, but I'm not in that camp. So probably not.

RF3 was mentioned, but I did play a bit of that and it's just such a vast improvement that feels way different. I feel like someone with more experience than me with it could do a better playthrough, because I'd be blind outside the first 10 minutes.

Then again I didn't have plans for Shadow Dragon until like, the last week of RF so I mean don't take anything I say as a guarantee. Just, like, in general.

Snorb posted:

I think I know what you're talking about and it's pretty great.

tunapirate posted:

Shadow Dragon was the first (and only) Fire Emblem game I've ever played and to this day I'm still very confused as to what you're supposed to do with knights--theoretically they seemed useful, but they just move so slow that by the time I got to the indoor grind-y maps they were too low-leveled for me to feel comfortable using them

Also, shoutout to next chapter for having some of my favorite recruitables. I'm excited to see if any of the characters I used weren't terrible :smith:

All the characters you get in Chapter 3 are really, really good, so you're probably safe there! Like Vilkacis and Camel Pimp said, knights are pretty bad in a lot of the FE games, they're a massive liability if you care about low turn counts (I don't), but they really only excel in chokepoints or if you have a very low movement team in general. And considering Shadow Dragon is pretty much "You Like Cavaliers, Right?: The Video Game", they aren't great. Except, again, like, Fates, where Effie is an unstoppable bulldozer of rage and steel.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Knights exist so that overly cautious players like me get to set up defensive lines for the AI to suicide against

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug

GeneX posted:

Knights exist so that overly cautious players like me get to set up defensive lines for the AI to suicide against

This, I have never considered Knights to be any worse than any other class. I am very defensive in these games, though.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
What's frustrating about knights in FE is that there's never really 'defense' missions where you're actually defending a point. Even in a lot of the defense missions, it's perfectly valid and sometimes even more profitable to do an aggro sweep away from your initial defense area.

The games with early map design also sort of hates knights in that the maps are too big for no reason and there's no rescuing/pair-up to mitigate the bad movement. So it becomes already tedious to move dudes around, and then knights add on that extra layer of 'ugh'.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

My only real knight experience in terms of gameplay is with Wendy and Meg, and somehow both ended up being unstoppable juggernauts of rage for me. I seriously took Meg to the Endgame and she helped a bit. Basically the same thing with Cecil and Fiona, who I also took to the endgame cuz she was one of my favorites and got some stat boosters.
I think my point is I might have the best luck at this series because I cant think of a single unit that has ever backfired on me outside of last Pegasus knights and 8 in general because the game ends at 20/10ish instead of 20/20ish.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

Effie is an unstoppable bulldozer of rage and steel.

Surely you mean Elise is an unstoppable bulldozer of rage and steel.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Keldulas posted:

What's frustrating about knights in FE is that there's never really 'defense' missions where you're actually defending a point. Even in a lot of the defense missions, it's perfectly valid and sometimes even more profitable to do an aggro sweep away from your initial defense area.

The games with early map design also sort of hates knights in that the maps are too big for no reason and there's no rescuing/pair-up to mitigate the bad movement. So it becomes already tedious to move dudes around, and then knights add on that extra layer of 'ugh'.
Yeah, the Jugdral games really are the worst offenders of this practice. Want to use Arden or Hannibal? Too bad, they're too slow to move effectively and can at best defend a chokepoint or a castle. What sucks even more is that some of those characters get good skills that a Knight or a General would like to have, such as Arden having Vantage and Xavier having Wrath.

This is one of the reasons why I enjoy the alternate promotion that 8/Awakening/Fates gave to Knights: the Great Knight class. +3 movement with a horse, good promotion boosts (especially in the Speed department), and full weapon triangle access? Sign me up.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Oh, if we're talking armor knights, I feel like I need to share this absolutely amazing piece of fanart I found.

I have no idea where this is originally from. I wish I did.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Camel Pimp posted:

Oh, if we're talking armor knights, I feel like I need to share this absolutely amazing piece of fanart I found.

What.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Camel Pimp posted:

Judging by how Draug, Marth and Caeda are drawn, I'm guessing this is some weird My Neighbor Totoro fanart.

Emphasis on "weird".

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Camel Pimp posted:

Time to check the thread before I go to bed-

:magical:

Time to stay up until I can comprehend this image.

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

Time to stay up until I can comprehend this image.

I'm preeeeeeeetty sure the first Support with Draug and MU in FE12 involves how Draug flew into the air or something. The image is totally a representation of that.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Knights as a class are redeemed by Oswin, who is the man.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Black Balloon posted:

Knights as a class are redeemed by Oswin, who is the man.

He's cool but he ain't no Gatrie.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
Gomer is a cool dude, and I can never imagine him without a monocle after seeing his sprite from the Exalted Legacy romhack.

LordHippoman posted:

Cord is alright. He suffers from starting with an E rank in his native weapon class, but his stats are okay. Compared to his brother Bord (yes, they are named Bord and Cord. Shadow Dragon.), he’s faster, but lands less hits. He’s also got a hidden talent that I plan to show off when we get reclassing.
Yyyyeeeesssss. :unsmigghh:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

From a while back but,

MythosDragon posted:

It makes plenty of sense. This game is nearly 30 years old originally, and they didnt really put any effort into cleaning, improving, or expanding it up beyond the graphics.

They actually DID improve a fair number of things, its just mostly mechanical and little to do with map design and plot. Off the top of my head:

Stat cap formerly 20s across the board, now has class caps.
Hunters, knights, and pirates can promote.
On that note berserkers(and horse bowmen?) exist
Weapon ranks formerly governered by a stat that rolled on level up.
Bonuses at weapon ranks c-a (previous games only gave a crit boost for s)
Added weapon triangle
First game to allow marking unit ranges on the map.
Covoy is built into marth and not a building.
First game with Reclassing
Added forging
Save points.
The wing spear?

And im probably missing some.
Sadly none of these can fix the boring late game maps and lack of personality to the characters. I could definitely buy that weird executive oversight theory with how much the overhauled the game mechanicaly while leaving other areas almost untouched in their ancient, dated state.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

And there actually is a fair bit more text in this game compared to the original, even if we discount the prologue and gaiden chapters. All the map conversations, for example, are new.

It's not really enough, though.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

I believe this is a carryover from Ike's games, as his games introduced that helpful option IIRC.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

AradoBalanga posted:

I believe this is a carryover from Ike's games, as his games introduced that helpful option IIRC.

So it is!

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

FoolyCharged posted:

From a while back but,

They actually DID improve a fair number of things, its just mostly mechanical and little to do with map design and plot. Off the top of my head:

Stat cap formerly 20s across the board, now has class caps.
Hunters, knights, and pirates can promote.
On that note berserkers(and horse bowmen?) exist
Weapon ranks formerly governered by a stat that rolled on level up.
Bonuses at weapon ranks c-a (previous games only gave a crit boost for s)
Added weapon triangle
Covoy is built into marth and not a building.
First game with Reclassing
Added forging
Save points.
The wing spear?

And im probably missing some.
Sadly none of these can fix the boring late game maps and lack of personality to the characters. I could definitely buy that weird executive oversight theory with how much the overhauled the game mechanicaly while leaving other areas almost untouched in their ancient, dated state.

So its an SNES game instead of a NES game now :v:

Honestly, I dont have much dislike for the game, It may not have supports, but its technically the game that abolished that most asinine of rules, 5 supports max. Seriously, I'm really happy that I never got FE on the GBA as a kid and that this was my first, I wouldve hated the series because of that rule if not for the saves that have them all unlocked I later played with and the FE9 lp that had all the supports covered. Plus its not like companies other than Falcom are known for worthwhile remakes. I mean Squares idea of improving the story in the FF4 remake was to add like 50 dialogue boxes and a playable flashback. Whereas our lord and savior Falcom took an ancient Y's 4 and completely gutted and wrote it from the bottom up while still keeping most of the core plot.

P.S while searching to make sure it wasnt FE10 that removed the limits, I found this; http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=52126

I havnt read anything, but honestly anything to improve that aspect.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 9, 2016

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I'm the dumbass kid that didn't even know supports existed

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
Shadow Dragon removed the support limit, and replaced it with much smaller support pools and literally no support conversations (you just get the naked stat bonuses), so I'm not really sure how much of an improvement it really is. Not that the FE13/14 school of thought of "everyone gets stats from the rest of the world and their mother (literally) but need to be in a pair to get anything from it" is much better, to be honest.
Fire Emblem games are getting longer and longer to the point that replayability is worth less and less. I guess that making sure you can see all the writing in one playthrough is meant to adress that, but I kinda miss the FEGBA supports giving strong, affinity-based bonuses that don't require glueing two characters together.

MythosDragon posted:

P.S while searching to make sure it wasnt FE10 that removed the limits, I found this; http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=52126
I havnt read anything, but honestly anything to improve that aspect.
To save you some time: they're not very good. Aside from a couple decent posts, "Characters state their gimmick at each other until they marry" is about how as far most as those fan supports go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Miacis posted:

Fire Emblem games are getting longer and longer to the point that replayability is worth less and less. I guess that making sure you can see all the writing in one playthrough is meant to adress that, but I kinda miss the FEGBA supports giving strong, affinity-based bonuses that don't require glueing two characters together.

Yeah, but good GOD they take forever to build. That honestly bothered me more than the limit of supports a character can have.

• Locked thread