Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
How serendipitous, I just beat this game. I mean, I get where people are coming from (and I didn't even bother going for the optional chapters except for the last one) but after binging a ton on Fates, the simplicity of this game was kind of refreshing, honestly.

Also, I want to say Marth is actually 13 in the prologue, but I could be totally wrong.

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Nov 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I'm so happy to see you

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Mysticblade posted:

Yeah, early growths were pretty low. Stat caps were also lower back then. Stat growths had just been going up until FE11 which was a huge shock and probably another reason it was so disappointing. I mean, the Dawn Brigade gets growth totals of 380%. They're pretty high compared to other characters but 380% is crazy when compared to the ~300% of FE7. Nino comes in 310% and she's known for crazy growths.

Meanwhile, Shadow Dragon's growths rates are a hell of a lot lower. I'll leave it to the OP if he wants to actually drop the growths for each character later.

Also, Radiant Dawn has some odd growth patterns. It almost looks like the growths in Fates, with them being so skewed.

And then there's Gaiden, where the best growth rate in the game (by a wide margin) is 220.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I always have some questions with the whole decoy thing, namely how close did they have to get before they realized that the middle-aged man they're chasing isn't the scrawny teen-age prince? (I sacrificed Jagen, because I wanted to keep the actually decent Frey, which makes this scene much funnier to me.)

Taciturn Tactician posted:

What kind of a sadist would leave that in the remake after so many games where you never have to let anyone die ever?

You mean the sacrifice? It's not in the original. The original game doesn't have the prologue.

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 28, 2016

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Actually, I know that normally any dead units will leave their stuff behind in the convoy. Does that apply to the sacrifice? (Probably not, but who knows)

EDIT: Spellcheck you failed me.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I will never understand why didn't didn't continue with 8-4 when they brought Fates over. (I replayed Awakening recently, and it really struck me how much better that script reads, ya know?)

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Probably because the developers assumed that if you wanted the ability to save mid-mission, you'd just play on casual.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Knights are a bit better in games where your units can pick up and transport other units. Hell, they go to being kind of overpowered in Fates, namely due to Wary Fighter.

It helps that later games give knights better growths. Hell, in the original NES version of this game, Knights couldn't even promote.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Oh, if we're talking armor knights, I feel like I need to share this absolutely amazing piece of fanart I found.

I have no idea where this is originally from. I wish I did.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

And there actually is a fair bit more text in this game compared to the original, even if we discount the prologue and gaiden chapters. All the map conversations, for example, are new.

It's not really enough, though.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Miacis posted:

Fire Emblem games are getting longer and longer to the point that replayability is worth less and less. I guess that making sure you can see all the writing in one playthrough is meant to adress that, but I kinda miss the FEGBA supports giving strong, affinity-based bonuses that don't require glueing two characters together.

Yeah, but good GOD they take forever to build. That honestly bothered me more than the limit of supports a character can have.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Here's some more fan art. This time I made it. I'm sorry.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I watched the anime pretty recently, and good GOD did they butcher poor Caeda.

LordHippoman posted:

dammit I only checked the top screens

Honestly, that makes it funnier

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

You know, this LP's been missing something, and I think I just figured out what it is

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Torrannor posted:

Perfect! I wonder how Jagen would look with it?

Eh, I think this is more Jagen's speed

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I played this game right after Fates, and let me tell you, getting an empty level was a pretty loving rude awakening. (And what's better is that Marth got it. He got two over the course of the game. I didn't get very lucky with Marth.) Although I wanna say that the way the RNG worked in the original version meant you couldn't actually get an empty level, or at least it was quite rare. As a matter of fact, how many Fire Emblems let you get an empty level unless you've capped some stats? The 3DS ones don't, and I think I've gotten an empty level once in Sacred Stones, and she had capped speed. (Binding Blade probably lets you get empty levels)

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

When I played this map, I lost Wolf due to some poor positioning on my part, and I was insisting that I was going to play this game without resetting (losing Caeda once broke me of that) so I just accepted it and moved on. I was a bit miffed when I looked up his growth rates. Least I still had Sedger. Although I also lost Hardin in a later map, so that run was not kind to the Wolfguard.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

LordHippoman posted:

Well, Tactics was ages ago and I think I was on that one map everybody hates, the Execution Grounds? The one where you fight the Dark Knight. I'd go back to it if my PSP still worked. The Nuzlocke attempts were also from a while back.

I dunno, maybe a few years of age and the experience of playing video games for the internet has bolstered me enough to beat up Gargamel or whatever his name was.

Gafgarion, yes? Oh, then, that's well before the most bullshit part of the game.

Although, speaking of FFT, one thing I do like about the Fire Emblem games is that even when you break them apart, you can't completely turn off your brain and coast. (Well, maybe on Awakening normal mode) In FFT, once you've got a good mage with some Calculate abilities, it's good-bye any semblance of challenge (and that's only one example)

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 30, 2016

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

LordHippoman posted:

As the chapter narration there implied, this map is a good one for thieves. We’ll be indoors, so Caeda will be slightly more handicapped than she usually is getting around. You can still use mounted units indoors, of course. Having to dismount would be RIDICULOUS.

(you totally did that in the original)

In FE3 you did. Not FE1. And also Thracia, I believe. (And in FE4 one character could dismount, only one, and it was very glitchy. Also every map was an outdoor map, so why would you ever.)

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Hammers could be used by a weapon level of 2, Barst started with 6... yeah, he could use it in the start.

The highest weapon level required for an axe is 4 for the Devil Axe. Only Maji (the original name for either Bord or Cord, I'm not sure) can't use the Devil Axe to start with. He's got a growth of 50 in weapon level, though, and starts with 3, so you shouldn't have to wait too long if you REALLY need Maji to be swinging a Devil Axe.

I have no idea what they were thinking with weapon level in the old games.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Isn't there a patch out there that will unlock the gaidens without the stupid "murder all your own units" condition? I sure as poo poo won't judge if you use it.

Unless you're determined to mass murder your own team for comedy. Then I understand.

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 8, 2017

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

It turns out Elice CAN use it, she's just lazy.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I was kind of "eh, whatever, guess that's cool" when I heard that they're remaking FE2, but then I realized...

Catria's in FE2.

CATRIA RIDES AGAIN.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Probably how all the manaketes apart from Bantu are little girls.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

LordHippoman posted:

: So you're back to your old self, working for cutthroats... I'm disappointed. I thought you had changed after working under Prince Marth, but it seems I expected too much from you. Swinging your sword without purpose... You're worse than an animal.

Jagen's been reading too many of Steve's yaois.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

vilkacis posted:

So on a scale from 0 to Spock/Kirk, how popular are those two in terms of fanworks...?

It's hard to find much fanwork for this game in the english-speaking internet sphere, but for m/m couples I'd wager Kain/Abel are more popular. As in, I've seen it, and haven't seen Navarre/Ogma. Which, honestly, I'm surprised I haven't. But, again, not much there in general.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

LordHippoman posted:

I regret to inform you all that Navarre with pigtails fan art does not exist. Sometimes life is so cruel.

Yes it does!

(Not mine, from here.)

Look, my tablet's wonky whether or not it wants to work and I don't want to gently caress with it right now.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

It's especially egregious that it's on Navarre, a character carried by skill and speed.

It wasn't until I played through the GBA games that I realized how badly the DS games nerfed mercenaries/myrmidons.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

You can't kill a god

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

LordHippoman posted:

Between this and what Cattail Prophet mentioned, It's hard not to love fliers in this game, especially when they get lucky enough to actually hit their survivability stats.

Especially since the fliers in this game aren't nearly as squishy as they normally are. Caeda's by far the most fragile flier in the game, but her base defense is on par with most other non-mage characters. Her defense growth is noticeably low, but defense growths are low in this game in general. It takes a while for her to fall behind defensively, at least it did for me. And all of your other fliers are going to be WAY better than her defensively.

Although, on the other hand, the higher hit rates in this game also mean your fliers really can't rely on their high speed to save them in case you leave them in range of an archer, so double-edged sword I guess.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

EDIT: There was a post here now there isn't

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 7, 2017

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

They released the results of the popularity poll, and apparently Roger (at least the FE3/FE12 version) is the fifth least liked character in the entire series. The Shadow Dragon version didn't do much better, by the by.

Poor Roger.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Stick with Lena, since after all she gets a pretty drat amazing staff that no one else in the game can use.

vilkacis posted:

And it's so loving dumb argh you had this poo poo figured out years ago, you colossal fuckers :rant:

Add another example on the pile of "we know you just did this because that's how the old game did it despite the fact it doesn't make any sense any more."

The sequel also lacks allied units, if I recall correctly.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I think he's always supposed to have been hot, but, the, uh, definition of anime hot has changed a bit over time.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Don't you ever trash pantless Marth.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Yeah, with the absolutely absurd amount of money you get in Shadow Dragon, there's no reason to not forge a weapon every chapter. When I played Awakening I really had idea why I'd spend so much money on a weapon that's going to break anyway (and ya know, Awakening is so easy anyway) but when you having NOTHING to really spend it on, might as well.

Well, okay, there's a secret shop at the end where you can spend a fuckton on, but I was still able to buy every single stat booster I could and still had some money left over so.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Yeah, I get that the Gaidens are meant to help players that are struggling, but I cannot imagine how incompetent you'd have to be to need them, much less trigger them in the way that was intended (i.e., not on purpose.) Maybe you might get some use out of them on Hard 5, but if you're getting more than the first Gaiden chapter on Hard 5 you're either doing it as a challenge or you have no business playing Hard 5.

LordHippoman posted:

: Everything I’ve told you is part of the old legends. Naturally, we’ve learned some more factual information since then.

: Weren’t you there, Sir Jagen?

: Eyewitness accounts aren’t always reliable.

I love these lines, just by the way.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I'm kind of curious, actually; has anyone gotten a gaiden chapter in this game on accident, apart from the last one?

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Better to have loved and lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I want to say that in the original game ballisticians could only attack 2 spaces away, like archers, so this map was piss-easy.

• Locked thread