Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

vilkacis posted:

Well I mean they're not bad or anything, but they can't compete with archers. Archers are the best class. (After curates, but that goes without saying.)

My main experience is in 7 and 8 so this sounds like an insane thing to say. Is the unit and scenario design just really different in this game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I remember in the first Fire Emblem on GBA I got an absolutely insane Rebecca once. 5 stats going up per level was fairly normal for her and she slaughtered everything that looked at her funny. Best archer ever

The problem is that scenario design in 7 was mostly "large numbers of melee units" with some 1-2 range units scattered in. Fliers weren't especially common, and units with low avoid and higher defence than res were common. Hence, an archer would kill one enemy on player phase and then doing nothing on enemy phase, whereas a mercenary would kill one enemy on your phase and five on the enemy phase, and a mage would be even more likely to rack up tons of enemy phase kills. Having a high skill two range unit isn't great against a bunch of 1 range mooks who you could get 100 hit on with mediocre skill.

The same issue happened in 8, where snipers got an ability that sometimes made them hit the next shot l regardless of their hit chance, but they had high skill so their hit was always 90+ anyway and usually just 100.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

ShadowDragon.jpg

these growth rates :suicide:

I feel like I remember some pre-7 games having jaw droppingly poor growth units, like nothing over 40% and most things under 35%. Doesn't Jagen roll with like a bunch of zeros and some fifteens?
E: it was actually four 10%s and then all zeros in the original, good lord.

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Nov 24, 2016

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

AradoBalanga posted:

Calling it now, the crazy old man we met at that village was a berserker from the time when Jagen was a fresh-faced cavalier.

Unfortunately, his growths tanked harder that Jagen's did as time wore on, hence why he's old and frail now.

I think that FE6 Karel would argue that age doesn't always mean loss of growth rates, what with his 950% growth rate total.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What kind of a sadist would leave that in the remake after so many games where you never have to let anyone die ever?

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

LordHippoman posted:

This was added specifically for the remake. :unsmigghh:

That's even more ridiculous. Also outside of really hating a unit or trying to be canon, why would you not sacrifice the literal trap character? Smart of them to introduce not-Jagen to give his speech.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Miacis posted:

Between this and the infamous side chapters requirements, I think the dev team wanted to try and go back to the original game's philosophy that it's okay to lose units, and players should try to make their own story, instead of going for a perfect ending. It's pretty telling that a tutorial would have a house telling you to accept your losses, and reward you not once but twice for having dead units.

I imagine this game seemed like their best bet at curbing the "always restart if you lose any unit" mentality, seeing as FE1 had very light long-term consequences for deaths, and units didn't have much character to speak of. Unfortunately for them, it was poorly implemented with the gaiden quotas getting silly by endgame, and no story relation between the deaths and the rewards you get. (Two Knights died! Here's a country girl archer!) Not that rewarding a form of failure was a fantastic idea in the first place, either...

And so Heroes of Light and Shadow ended up backpedaling, implementing casual mode, removing incentive to losing units, and running casualty checks throughout the story that compliment the player for not losing anyone.

Yeah the first officially released in English Fire Emblem literally grades you, and survival is one of the grades. If your grade is low enough the game openly mocks you in the epilogue.

quote:

(Your Tactician's name)- Suspected Mind
As historians look back, no one understands how such incomprehensible strategy could lead to victory.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's weird to think that you have a pegasus knight who potentially will get wrecked by mages, considering they're basically spellproof in later games. You mentioned pegasus knight bonuses, incidentally, does reclassing change your growths? I imagine it changes your caps.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Keldulas posted:

The save point system is what I think is Shadow Dragon's best idea, flat out, and is a feature I'm SORELY disappointed has not made a reappearance in later games. Especially with poo poo like how long Awakening's or Fate's maps can get. Using saves as a resource, especially when it takes a unit's time to use it is great.

I unironically like having to restart the whole map if I gently caress up but I might be a lunatic. It's also basically the only thing that stops arenas being completely broken, if I could save after I cleared a map and then just grind on the arena it would be a lot safer.

I will admit that screwing something up on the last turn of a map that took like an hour can be a little infuriating though.

E:

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

To be fair, no Pirate can live up to the juggernaut that is Ross

Ross and Ewan were something special :allears:

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What insane backwards world is this where dark mages are faster and less powerful instead of the axe users of the magical sphere? Since you said you gave hin a fire tome I'm assuming magic weapons triangle doesn't exist?

Also, it's worth noting that the triple damage against certain units is tripling before defense is applied, as opposed to crits which multiply after defence, which is a very important distinction against knights.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

vilkacis posted:

I find it upsetting that no one is acknowledging the best playable (probably partly) dragon type person in all of Fire Emblem.

His mom's better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

LordHippoman posted:

There was also a "Wind Sword" in FE7, but to get it, you had to have the special edition of Mario Kart: Double Dash with the bonus disc, put that in a Gamecube, and transfer data from that to your GBA with Fire Emblem in it via a link cable. It was the most bizarre thing, and I still did it on my original FE7 cartridge.
7 and 8 also had the Rune Sword and Light Brand, which used magic weapons triangle (dark and light respectively) but were 1-2 range swords. Rune Sword also stole HP. I think maybe they hit res instead of def? In 7 they were boss weapon drops, but in 8 the first level of the tower of valni half the time spawned a skeleton with a rune sword and an iron spear and dropped whatever he didn't have equipped, so you could farm them by baiting him into using the spear and then killing him.

• Locked thread