Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
Re-reading your previous LP got me to replay Heroes of Light and Shadow lately, so I'm glad you're doing Shadow Dragon, now. This game can be so incredibly dull if you don't play around with reclassing, meaning I'm already voting for a Jagen Bishop. :catholic:

Taciturn Tactician posted:

My main experience is in 7 and 8 so this sounds like an insane thing to say. Is the unit and scenario design just really different in this game?
One thing this game does change up to make archers better, especially on higher difficulties, is that hit rates are higher on average, and with less variance. So chipping from a distance is more valuable, and since mages are rare and more of a nuking solution, it makes archers a bit more attractive early game. Plus, like its spiritual reverse-successor Binding Blade, wyvern units are a bit of an ubiquitous inconvenience here.

Archers and Horsemen are still pretty dang bad on difficulties that aren't Lunatic Reverse, but they're less of a waste of space than in FE8 for instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
Between this and the infamous side chapters requirements, I think the dev team wanted to try and go back to the original game's philosophy that it's okay to lose units, and players should try to make their own story, instead of going for a perfect ending. It's pretty telling that a tutorial would have a house telling you to accept your losses, and reward you not once but twice for having dead units.

I imagine this game seemed like their best bet at curbing the "always restart if you lose any unit" mentality, seeing as FE1 had very light long-term consequences for deaths, and units didn't have much character to speak of. Unfortunately for them, it was poorly implemented with the gaiden quotas getting silly by endgame, and no story relation between the deaths and the rewards you get. (Two Knights died! Here's a country girl archer!) Not that rewarding a form of failure was a fantastic idea in the first place, either...

And so Heroes of Light and Shadow ended up backpedaling, implementing casual mode, removing incentive to losing units, and running casualty checks throughout the story that compliment the player for not losing anyone.

Miacis fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 28, 2016

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
Gomer is a cool dude, and I can never imagine him without a monocle after seeing his sprite from the Exalted Legacy romhack.

LordHippoman posted:

Cord is alright. He suffers from starting with an E rank in his native weapon class, but his stats are okay. Compared to his brother Bord (yes, they are named Bord and Cord. Shadow Dragon.), he’s faster, but lands less hits. He’s also got a hidden talent that I plan to show off when we get reclassing.
Yyyyeeeesssss. :unsmigghh:

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
Shadow Dragon removed the support limit, and replaced it with much smaller support pools and literally no support conversations (you just get the naked stat bonuses), so I'm not really sure how much of an improvement it really is. Not that the FE13/14 school of thought of "everyone gets stats from the rest of the world and their mother (literally) but need to be in a pair to get anything from it" is much better, to be honest.
Fire Emblem games are getting longer and longer to the point that replayability is worth less and less. I guess that making sure you can see all the writing in one playthrough is meant to adress that, but I kinda miss the FEGBA supports giving strong, affinity-based bonuses that don't require glueing two characters together.

MythosDragon posted:

P.S while searching to make sure it wasnt FE10 that removed the limits, I found this; http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=52126
I havnt read anything, but honestly anything to improve that aspect.
To save you some time: they're not very good. Aside from a couple decent posts, "Characters state their gimmick at each other until they marry" is about how as far most as those fan supports go.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
I like reclassing when it's limited by character class sets. It gives just enough room for unit customization while also adding personality to the character, showing other skills they may have, or hidden talents. Chrom is royalty, so him having cavalry and archery skills makes sense. Kellam has a gimmick that makes him ideal for thievery, and his personality is closer to a priest's than a combatant. Cordelia is the only Dark Mage candidate that is neither a mage nor evil... what does that tell us about her? And so on.
It reminds me a little of the backgrounds in 13th Age, where a character's history grants them a varied set of skills. Compare that to traditional Fire Emblem where Archerman can't do anything in life that isn't pulling arrows.

Imagine if that system was in this game. What if you looked at the Trio of Bad Fighter, Other Bad Fighter and Good Fighter and saw:
Bord: Fighter - Cavalier - Knight
Cord: Fighter - Hunter - Dark mage
Barst: Fighter - Pirate - Mercenary
That alone would say way more about the three of them than pretty much all the lines they have in this game. And it could also help point the player at actually viable reclassing options...

Of course, ideally, character portraits would be somewhat class-neutral to avoid the classic "Kellam's giant mass of steel looks stupid for a thief" problem, and neither Awakening or Fates tried to do that in the slightest.
Or even better: different versions of character mugs, based on their class. Now that would be sick (and a better investment of ressources than skinship ever was), but maybe I'm dreaming a bit too much at this point.

Miacis fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 14, 2016

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
I'm all for keeping the woodcutting occultist in the team for as long as possible. Although there is a possible replacement coming up a bit later if the RNG gods feel merciless.

My last run of FE11 was pretty much "outliers only, kill all the others," so if my reclassing experience is any word of advice (it really isn't), Darros makes a rather competent top-heavy Mercenary/Axe Hero (or a Knight I guess), Draug is an excellent speedy Hunter and Wrys is so utterly outclassed by Lena you might as well make him a bald Mage.

But it's also kinda sad Jagen isn't coming along in his last adventure... His magic growth isn't bad as a Sage or a Bishop, and staves are awesome, so that's an option (Niccolo represent!). Or go the Caeda² route, Dragonmaster+Slayer Weapons to fly around and instakill problem enemies.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
It is absolutely possible to get empty levels in FE4 and FE5. In fact, even with uncapped stats in FE4, it's possible for 100+% growths to not proc if the game runs out of RNs during a fight... which it commonly does during arena matches.

Miacis fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 20, 2016

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

magikid posted:

Weapon durability for everything. Replacement weapons can only be bought in the middle of battle, when presumably enemies are trying to kill you.

Gold comes from villages, which enemy thieves can destroy apparently? Really, all that's missing is hunger and thirst meters for everyone.
Adding to what's been said, pretty much all the games after 5 regularly dump bags of money on you for simply progressing the game, so even if you let all the villages burn, you won't stay poor for the rest of the game. Not to mention that all new recruits bring their own equipment, to the point where you'll more often run out of storage space rather than run out of weapons. As for the games that don't have a billion cavaliers bringing forth offerings of steel weapons, they happen to be the ones with grindable map encounters...

Really, aside from Thracia 776 (which was kinda its own thing), the devs did put a lot of thought into making the overall experience not frustrating in spite of a pile of mechanics generally considered player-unfriendly.

Miacis fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 29, 2016

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

Shiki Dan posted:

C'mon now, there's PLENTY of instances in multiple games where the reinforcement spawns are total bullshit.
Even when you KNOW when and where they're coming.

Not to mention instances where a rescueable character will kill themselves off due to dumb AI or just plain bad luck which you have absolutely no control over (Jaffar in Hector Hard mode, anyone?).

Saying every death is due to player idiocy is beyond glib.
The player should have access to 4~5 long range tomes (2~3 discounting Eclipse), and Physic/Sleep/Berserk staves by then to long-range-support Jaffar's random AI, and it doesn't take more than 5 or so turns to reach him if his situation calls for hurry. Of course, he can decide to gently caress off into a danger zone, but if he does it early on, resetting won't be a big deal; if he does it later, well, Jaffar's survival is not necessary to complete the chapter. I mean, it's Hector Hard Mode... :shrug:

The games up until Awakening are balanced under the assumption that misfortune can and will strike, manifesting itself as either corpses, poor level ups, or destroyed villages and missed chests. (Heck, there's some Kaga interview floating around where he implies you should Iron-man these games, take your losses and move on.) And you as the player, are tasked to make sure tactical errors don't add to the existing bodycount, because for all the bs situations the game throws at you, a vast, vast majority could be avoided with more patience, research or experience.... which is really what GeneX was saying in way more words.

Miacis fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Dec 30, 2016

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
A good way to completely remove the difficulty of this map is to warp a high defense unit on the stairs to the courtyard, on the very first turn. The thieves will open the chests and then patiently wait in line until the way to their only exit is cleared. It also distracts some of the northern forces away from the death corridor.

Or, y'know, just buy that Killing Edge later, they're pretty cheap.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

vilkacis posted:

Voting the former. I mean, most characters aren't going to say anything after their recruitment chapter anyway, so if you wait too long we might forget who they even are :v:
This, and they can serve as a little break between chapters, sort of like the Gaidens. Plus they aren't really complex chapters or even have a preparations screen if I recall, so they should be rather fast to record and write.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
"I keep sending my units in the Arena, and they just won't die!"

I can see no other explanation.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

LordHippoman posted:

Caesar shows up looking like a slightly worse Ogma. He’s very similar, but he beats him out by a decent chunk in Speed (and Magic, but who cares), suffering a few minor dips elsewhere, coupled with his later joining time.
I do, because Caesar can become a pretty radd Dark Mage,. He starts a tad less accurate than Cord (they've both got awful Skl, really), but his HP growth is 50% compared to Cord's pitiful 20.

Of note, him, Cord and Jagen are the only physical fighters that have a base Magic growth above 5%... and they're at 10%. No reclassable non-mage has even one point of base magic. This game really does want you to see your mages as a rare, precious ressource.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
The more typical reclass option for this would probably be Myrmidon, since then she'll still have evade for days, and it's not like we can't have a chapter without Wing Spear murder (...or can we?)

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
You know, there's been a lot of Astram hate in this thread, but the fact is, in FE12,

He's kind enough to send his squad for a swim while Marth does his last bit of shopping and arena-ing before tackling Anri's Way. So I think he's a pretty all right guy. :)

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
Just a heads-up, you used FE12 Marth's portrait for FE11 dialogue in this update.

LordHippoman posted:

Chapter 17: Marth Meets Morzas, The Matricidal Mage Manakete (Prep)

(I know that’s not technically what Matricidal means.)

The Mom-Murderin' Mage Manakete...?

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

MythosDragon posted:

How do you guys play Standard FE(6-12)?

I choose units to use and never ever give anyone else a drop of EXP. Example: Miciah solo's the first few chapters, everyone else meat shields without weapons as appropriate cuz tissue. I also keep levels about even at all times. So I've never experienced what youre talking about.
First/Challenge playthroughs aside, I... pretty much do the exact opposite. I spread the experience around on the first few chapters between everyone. I may choose a couple few guys I don't want to use and give them less EXP, but they'll still probably get some. From the game enjoyment perspective, it's more tactical and less repetitive. From the min-maxing perspective, spreading the experience around gives me more stats total, early on, and more importantly for later, gives me the ability to pick and choose blessed/unlucky units.

As an example, if I decide that Kent is the best, and only use Kent, by the end of Lyn's mode I might have a lv12 Kent, and I guess I'm gonna keep using him whether he's good or bad because it's not like I'm gonna use Lv1 Sain...
If I use Kent and Sain equally, it doesn't matter as much what levels Kent gets, because Sain might have a better luck, and by the end of Lyn's mode, I'll have lv8 Sain and a lv8 Kent. After that point, unit limits start getting stricter, so I have to pick one.... and I can pick the best of the two. Sure, I "lost" 4 levels worth of EXP, but because the EXP curve is what it is, by the end of the game, that EXP difference is like, what, 3 enemy kills?

It's also quite more entertaining when playing for an audience, because it's more variety in combat, more character growths total, and also leaves the opportunity for "just bench him already" discussions that can't really happen if you've decided early who you want to use.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
Another common complaint I've heard about Kris is they are rather one-note and uninteresting compared to say, Robin. While this wouldn't be much an issue in a game full of one-note characters, they've also got a ton of lines of dialogue (not even counting supports), so their grampa/training/dutiful shtick wears thing rather quickly.

Being incredibly overpowered probably didn't win Kris any favors when the game first came out either. Now with Rob'n'Corr doing the same, we've gotten used to it.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
You could do an all-Einherjar run in Awakening. They technically have portraits, but they're about as generic and characterless as can be.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

EclecticTastes posted:

It was pretty good, but also ran with a considerably smaller cast than most FE games. The real problem with plot involvement in FE is permadeath, it's not reasonable to expect them to make contingent lines/scenes for everyone.
That's an argument I've seen more than once and I'm still not sure what rooted that idea. If a character is dead, any conversations they participate in are gone, and that's about it. If their interlocutors relied on that character's presence to continue their character development, welp, they're dead now, so their development will either halt or go a different direction.
The Tellius games had this going mostly through base conversations, and occasionally having side-characters piping in during plot sequences. Even Tearring Saga did it (almost to a fault) with its side cast, despite having way more plot-relevant units available for chatting than Fates or Awakening. And it had what, a quarter of the budget? If Radiant Dawn could juggle the insanity of if_alive/if_in_team conditionals that is Act 4, it doesn't seem that unreasonnable to me for the next FE game to achieve it, permadeath or no.

Heck, if the FE writers are so terrified of if Unit_alive!=1 then display text switches, they can just do with the side cast what the series has always done with plot-armor units and make characters suffer a "crippling injury" so they won't directly fight but still participate in conversations.
Permadeath isn't really the issue here, it's the writers being generally bad at involving their side cast into the plot past their recruitment chapter..

Miacis fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 24, 2017

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

EclecticTastes posted:

If you want a bunch of disconnected conversations tangentially related to the story, there's Support conversations. Base conversations, while more pointed, are basically the same thing in terms of programming. I liked them, sure, but I think the initial request was more along the lines of participation in actual story scenes (and I don't really count a single-line "hey I'm alive too" line as actual participation). There is an example of complex survival conditionals in FE's story, for Genealogy of the Holy War. The one with only twenty-four people total at any one time. Ultimately, it's just not feasible to include everybody in the story with that many characters without deliberately making scenes purely for them to chime in. Look at Suikoden, the only time much of the cast did anything story-related after being recruited was during special scenes made just for them prior to certain war battles, and even then, a huge percentage of the cast was left out of even those.
Thing is, there are only so many ways for a video game to integrate optional content (be they recruited characters, completed sidequests or items) into the mandatory storyline. Either you try to fit it in on a symbolic level, with the optional content expanding on the main story's themes and ideas; or you integrate scenes that check if the optional stuff has been obtained, and then display the interaction if it was, or displays something else if not.
The former is pretty much what you'd expect supports and base conversations to be, with base convos having the advantage that they're fixed in time and so easier to integrate to the overarching narrative. The latter I suppose you could call "hey I'm alive too" content, although I was thinking of more complex interactions, like, to take TRS as an example once again, Kate's entire sub-story, or simply Holmes discovering about his lineage from an optional conversation with Sasha. It's not Suikoden levels of bloated casts, but it still has 60 playable characters, is basically a FE game in structure, and manages to have story content for something like 2/3rds of its cast.

I'm not sure what you mean with Genealogy, though? It's got the complex conditional epilogue, but that's because it tried to replicate actual inheritance of duchies and whatnot. If anything, the blood/marriage systems made it more of a mess than permadeath did.

EclecticTastes posted:

As for replacing permadeath with just having the whole cast get "too injured" at zero HP, you may as well drop the mechanic entirely then, because then there's no impact from a character dying, it's literally nothing more than a detriment to the gameplay at that point.
But the way side characters are implemented right now doesn't really make their deaths impactful either, because even if they lived, they most likely wouldn't have any more lines until their epilogue anyways, and their death quotes aren't exactly moving either (because the game does not set the stage for it to be a tragic event). If a unit (like say, Soren in RD) gets too injured to be on the battlefield, that also means no growing supports and a lot of missed character development, so either way it's just the same as current permadeath except you can actually involve the characters in the story without having to deal with the question of "but what if they're dead?"

I mean, it's not my preferred solution (which would be "use proper conditionals to weave the side characters into the story and find creative ways around their deaths"), but it does show they can effortlessly solve this optional character issue without removing a rather core mechanic of the series.
(And if the assumption is that it's not workable to have side characters participating unless the devs are sure they're in the player's team... doesn't that mean also removing recruitment conditions and making all characters mandatory?)

Miacis fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 25, 2017

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

LordHippoman posted:

Who did Gharnef want to revive? Why was he after the Staff?
I forget if it's mentioned in the side materials, or if it's just a fan theory, but Gharnef might have kept Aum and the Falchion with him as insurance against Medeus. Backstabbing the guy who has both the best way to kill you, and the best way to revive you is a bit of a hard sell, after all.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

LordHippoman posted:

That makes a LOT of sense, especially given that he was probably using brainwashed Tiki for that purpose too. I love the idea of Gharnef being super paranoid but still probably right.
And this is particularly comical for a man who literally cannot be hurt by anything short of Starlight.

: But what if Medeus enlists the help of Gotoh to slay me?! I need more safeguards!

Or maybe he was planning to get rid of the Darksphere one day (it does do a number on his physical appeal), and retire in a cottage, far from the hubbub of the darkdragonopolis, with his sword, his staff and Tiki I guess.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

LordHippoman posted:

I'd like to congratulate our friend Athena on making it into Fire Emblem Heroes, even if that dates the hell out of this update.

:stare:

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
Did Jagen land a freaking crit on Medeus too? :perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
That was a cool way to go about presenting this game, and you get a thumbs up for using some underused characters, as well as dipping into reclassing. Thanks for making FE11 as much of a fun ride as FE12 was. :)

Miacis fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 24, 2017

• Locked thread