Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

This map is on the bottom screen the whole time, by the way, so I’ll crop it out of future exposition shots.

: beginning an age of fear and despair for all its people.

Looking forward to the LP and everything but I do have a suggestion for a not-problem in the update.

Maybe take the top screen with the text and put it right before Jagen's words too so it reads cleanly? Like, double post the image but cut out the map screen.

quote:

This map is on the bottom screen the whole time, by the way, so I’ll crop it out of future exposition shots.

: beginning an age of fear and despair for all its people.

Silly nitpicks aside, I'm looking forward to the rest of the LP, since the last one went so well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm feeling really giddy to know that me not being a huge fan of tons of people in Fates isn't just me being weird. I mean, Arthur and Odin aside, at least.

LordHippoman posted:

I think one thing Awakening is really good at is taking some very one note characters, like pretty much all the Fire Emblems have, but making their gimmicks fun and playing off of each other well in the supports. There were also some really good character moments you only got in the supports, like Frederick going from grumpy stuffy token stoic one to OCD fitness instructor with a hint of pyromania and a stack of posters of naked Chrom.

I didn't really get that in Fates, the supports felt more kinda like each character doing their gimmick in turns than anything else. There are still some good characters (I love Arthur and OPHELIA DUSK), but I didn't really like them as much as in Awakening. Fates kinda shoots way too high and ends up with too many characters without many developed ones, and a story that completely relies on everyone being oblivious to everything, which isn't satisfying for the player.

I could go on, but I don't want to accidentally derail my own thread too hard. Feel free to discuss general FE stuff here if y'all want, though, I've got no objections. (Just try to use spoiler tags for the newer games if you want to get into how dumb (Fates Spoilers!)your dad is a slime beast but you can't tell anyone or you'll die is.)

LordHippoman posted:

I could go on, but I don't want to accidentally derail my own thread too hard. Feel free to discuss general FE stuff here if y'all want, though, I've got no objections. (Just try to use spoiler tags for the newer games if you want to get into how dumb (Fates Spoilers!)your dad is a slime beast but you can't tell anyone or you'll die is.)

Seemed pretty decent to me, considering how often dark gods manipulating people to be their vessels has been done throughout the FE games. And it's not like you can just ask your family to believe that one with no proof. Xander's already too sword happy when it comes to Corrin and calling it 'training' I still do wish they could've settled on giving Corrin a personality beyond worrying about if that choice was the right one or not every cutscene. Because to me it just came off like an elbow-y 'Hey maybe you should buy the other two games? Huh? HUH HUH HUH?' thing rather than adding to the story in any way. It's like CW Flash with pep talks.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Black Balloon posted:

Knights as a class are redeemed by Oswin, who is the man.

He's cool but he ain't no Gatrie.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

poo poo, with a reclass system like that, redundant characters might actually see some use now.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wonderslug posted:

Converting an axe-wielder into a book nerd? At last, the cycle is complete.

Virion is a mage, Kellam is a thief, Lon Qu is also some kind of magic user but what is Sully supposed to be? An archer?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Tae posted:

It's easier to get empty levels in fates because growths in that game are extremely specialized. Generally a character will have like 70-80 in a few stats and 10-20 in others. Which makes missing a stat in those specialized stats even worse.

This would explain my army and it's serious speed problems. It's so weird seeing people go without gaining any HP for five levels. Especially if you bounce between that and Awakening.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

I've been playing Awakening while I play this game and it's really night and day sometimes. Both with the levels being different, to the point where it's kinda hard to find a BAD character in Awakening, and the amount of personality/dialogue, like theshim mentioned. I know I harp on it a lot, but yeah, Shadow Dragon's biggest issue really is that it's like the vanilla of Fire Emblems. It's a remake so maybe it's French Vanilla.

Yeah, looking between the two of them, I hope the next Fire Emblem game ends up more tightly focused than Fates turned out. Less stuff they have to cut out that could go towards the story or maps or what have you. Or interesting characters. I can't believe the rude guys of both kingdoms have no supports at all!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

magikid posted:

I've probably asked this about Fire Emblem before, but how do you guys deal with it all? Everything about these games just seems hilariously "anti-player."

Permanent character death, so no room for mistakes. Limited experience that you have to carefully balance between characters (while still trying to clear the stage). Random level gains, so characters you've put work into can turn out terrible for no reason. No failsafe if that happens. Weapon durability for everything. Replacement weapons can only be bought in the middle of battle, when presumably enemies are trying to kill you. Weapon ranks and character relationships, so there's more stuff to manage. Gold comes from villages, which enemy thieves can destroy apparently? Really, all that's missing is hunger and thirst meters for everyone.

Are the games just generally easy enough that it doesn't matter much? I've never played any of them, but they just look like this massive brick wall that hates all life.

Not every game is exactly the same. Some of the later ones actually give you a world map where you're able to buy weapons and potions and stuff on, they introduced a casual and phoenix mode if you don't want to deal with character death and Fates, the most recent one to come out so far, did away with weapon durability entirely. So it gets easier depending on the game. Nothing you can really do about level RNG though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

Princess Minerva is a badass with a dragon and the best axe in the entire game, and she hates us right now. It is in our best interests to stay FAR AWAY from the Dracoknight.

Palla’s the strongest of the Pegasus Knights.

oh gently caress it’s the queen of the skies

So Hard Mode just moves a fight you'd be having 17 chapters later to here huh?

LordHippoman posted:

(As a sidenote, this is now the official "Jagen For Fire Emblem Warriors" Thread, please support your local Jagens.)

I'm curious how they're going to stay true to the games and have the Jagens not really measure up compared to regular units.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 14, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

In case you wondered, yes, all of Navarre’s dialogue in this map sounds like this.

: DEATH COMES.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

*Warp Staff*

: REPOSITIONING.

(This joke brought to you by my friend who doesn't read this thread, but plays a lot of Reaper.)

*Gets a crit*

: IT'S IN THE REFRIGERATOR.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

I know some people have had some concerns about if the Fire Emblem mobile game will be any good. As the OP of this thread, I'm happy to report:

It will be good. Thanks.

(also he's voiced by DC Douglas)

I hope Ross also gets in and Barst takes him in under his wing.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

Thanks to Maria’s healing, Bars is able to hold that point just fine, eating hits from the second Bishop and the Sniper.

How dare you.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

For a second I thought there was an edit of Steve minus that one hat entirely for just that joke.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

The only question now is which artist should get the honor of drawing Pants-Free Marth for Heroes.

Yusuke Murata

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

vilkacis posted:

/digs in image archive

drat, I was thinking a face cut-in and then something like this.

http://i.imgur.com/qIKmtMY.mp4

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I finally figured out what this reminds me of! It's that Shoebill from that Kemono Friends annie-may!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't believe how fresh you've kept this joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

To get meta at the end here, I'll spoil a couple things. I wasn't sure about the Jagen frame story thing, because I was worried I'd overdo the joke, and I didn't want to come off like a bad version of a narrative LP or something, but reception seems to be positive, and I'm happy about that. Also, I was originally planning a surprise bonus update playing Cipher with a friend over LackeyCCG, which is a great digital card game service, but plans fell through and it might have been a pretty dull update anyway.

Narrative LPs of games that usually aren't like that are neat and this was a fun ride.

I'm just sorry I didn't really have a lot to comment on, since I did enjoy the LP but I didn't really have anything I could say that wouldn't just be unnecessary white noise.

• Locked thread