Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Dracoknights are probably my favorite unit. Movement tends to be super important the later you get in Fire Emblem games. Half my team in Awakening was on some kind of flying beast. It's a shame you can't make Draug one, the slow movement hampers Knights in my games. Except Oswin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

magikid posted:

I've probably asked this about Fire Emblem before, but how do you guys deal with it all? Everything about these games just seems hilariously "anti-player."

Permanent character death, so no room for mistakes. Limited experience that you have to carefully balance between characters (while still trying to clear the stage). Random level gains, so characters you've put work into can turn out terrible for no reason. No failsafe if that happens. Weapon durability for everything. Replacement weapons can only be bought in the middle of battle, when presumably enemies are trying to kill you. Weapon ranks and character relationships, so there's more stuff to manage. Gold comes from villages, which enemy thieves can destroy apparently? Really, all that's missing is hunger and thirst meters for everyone.

Are the games just generally easy enough that it doesn't matter much? I've never played any of them, but they just look like this massive brick wall that hates all life.

The thing to remember about the game is that you can make mistakes and keep going. LPs obviously are going to show off all the characters and side chapters and stuff. You don't have to though. If a unit dies, unless they're one of a kind or got super good growths, you're free to press on without them. Look at this game. Do you really need every single cavalier?

I don't play that way, because I obsess over these things, but enjoy the game as you want.

• Locked thread