Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
i foolishly hope he chumps brock again at wm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
SPHERE N JACAMMERRR!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Goldberg getting pushed is proof that wwe is antifa

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Golashes posted:

i foolishly hope he chumps brock again at wm

I hope the big dog, after squashing Taker, lays them both out for a no contest

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
can someone explain why WWE doesn't use the version of goldberg's theme where the start of the song is a huge gong hit

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

1st AD posted:

can someone explain why WWE doesn't use the version of goldberg's theme where the start of the song is a huge gong hit

The WCW version was called 'Invasion' by Christian Poulet and Jean-Yves Rigo and they're apparently guys that make stock music for music libraries. It was actually first used by Pat Tanaka in WCW.

I guess WWE didn't feel like paying royalties to use it and just got their guy to make a new song.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MrBling posted:

The WCW version was called 'Invasion' by Christian Poulet and Jean-Yves Rigo and they're apparently guys that make stock music for music libraries. It was actually first used by Pat Tanaka in WCW.

I guess WWE didn't feel like paying royalties to use it and just got their guy to make a new song.

Yeah this is how I've always understood it. Basically the same reason WCW had Jimmy Hart's band do a lot of close-but-not-quite covers of songs like "Smells like Teen Spirit" and such.

E: vvv oh yeah, I'd forgotten that.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Mar 7, 2017

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
WCW by virtue of being part of the Turner empire also had basically free access to huge libraries of stock music, so they could just use whatever they wanted.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

MrBling posted:

Not exactly what I'm talking about; the WWE currently uses Invasion, but it doesn't open with the big gong hit.

This is what it sounded like in WCW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guJhGmLsmRM

and as of Survivor Series this is what it sounds like (minus the dumb reverb)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HI_ffdUnXTw

I mean it's basically the same thing, but I miss the gong :smith:

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
I was at Fastlane. Not sure if this made broadcast but while celebrating Goldberg nearly fell on his rear end trying to climb the turnbuckles.

Ghidzilla
May 12, 2009
So if you were going to make a matchlist of Goldberg's best stuff to watch on the WWE Network, what would you have on there?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Goldberg vs. DDP at Halloween Havoc

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Ghidzilla posted:

So if you were going to make a matchlist of Goldberg's best stuff to watch on the WWE Network, what would you have on there?

vs DDP at Halloween Havoc
vs Hogan on Nitro
vs Raven on Nitro
vs The Rock at Backlash
vs Jericho at Bad Blood
Elimination Chamber at Summerslam

EDIT: and I hear Goldberg vs Scott Steiner at Fall Brawl 2000 is really good despite a totally poo poo storyline

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Mar 8, 2017

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

some of those goldberg matches are cool but they are not highlighting bill's best qualities. here are the best goldberg matches to watch

his series of matches with martial arts expert Jerry Flynn
his series of matches with Meng, especially so you can imagine the universe where Goldberg became WCW Toughman Champion instead of a huge star
vs. Kanyon on the September 24th Thunder
vs. La Parka on the June 1st 98 Nitro
vs. Chavo on the June 8 98 Nitro
and finally, vs. Sid at Halloween Havoc 99

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
killed Bret hart
fully knocked himself out on live tv
nearly sliced his own hand off & bled to death also on live tv
got himself choked out by Jericho backstage for being a basic bag of dicks

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Supreme Allah posted:

killed Bret hart
fully knocked himself out on live tv
nearly sliced his own hand off & bled to death also on live tv
got himself choked out by Jericho backstage for being a basic bag of dicks

The last one didn't happen and the rest are just evidence of why he was so much fun to watch.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Sanguinia posted:

vs DDP at Halloween Havoc
vs Hogan on Nitro
vs Raven on Nitro
vs The Rock at Backlash
vs Jericho at Bad Blood
Elimination Chamber at Summerslam

EDIT: and I hear Goldberg vs Scott Steiner at Fall Brawl 2000 is really good despite a totally poo poo storyline

The promo video for Goldberg/Steiner is incredible if anyone hasn't seen it yet

https://youtu.be/3DV7WBEeJWY

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Baron Corbyn posted:

The promo video for Goldberg/Steiner is incredible if anyone hasn't seen it yet

https://youtu.be/3DV7WBEeJWY

holy poo poo :stare:

also lol that stock scream in the background at :14. I haven't heard that in a while.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The Fall Brawl match starts out really well and really showcases just how strong Goldberg was back then.

Then at the end it descends into the usual Russo interference fuckery.

Ghidzilla
May 12, 2009
How about his two PPV matches with Sid?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Ghidzilla posted:

How about his two PPV matches with Sid?

Havoc is good, Mayhem is horrible.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Soldberg

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

MassRafTer posted:

Havoc is good, Mayhem is horrible.

Mayhem owns because the crowd hated Goldberg and let him know how lovely he was compared to the greatness of Sid.

Best Goldberg match.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I hope he follows the script at Mania......!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Wendell posted:

I hope he follows the script at Mania......!

What if the reason his matches with Lesnar and Owens were so short is because he wasn't following the script???

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Baron Corbyn posted:

What if the reason his matches with Lesnar and Owens were so short is because he wasn't following the script???

Brock'll just have to shoot on him like he did with Undertaker and Randy Orton, then!

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

MassRafTer posted:

The last one didn't happen and the rest are just evidence of why he was so much fun to watch.

It did happen; Jericho talks about it in interviews openly.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Justin Godscock posted:

It did happen; Jericho talks about it in interviews openly.

He didn't choke him out, that was absolutely bullshit and Chris even admitted was bullshit

Jericho Dec 2014 on the Roman Show posted:

It was a different world then. Things happen all the time. When everybody is holding on to their position like I got to do this, I got to do that, Goldberg and I saw wrestling from both sides of a different coin. But both of us were very successful. There wasn't a lot of interest on his end to work with me in WCW. There was a little animosity between us that transferred to the WWE. We had a scuffle it wasn't what everyone says where Jericho took him down and tied him in a knot. I stood up for myself and held my ground. It was what it was. It was unfortunate for Bill, it was on his first day, so he kind of got labeled right off the bat.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Goldberg stinks. Dolph Ziggler rules.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

One of the best early Goldberg stories was when he had some matches with Curt Hennig. I remember one night Hennig showed up with the commentators saying he had been bragging all day that he'd finally worked out a strategy that would completely cut out Goldberg's legs from under him and allow Curt to dominate him.

Curt gets in the ring, slaps Goldberg in the face and smirks, Goldberg proceeds to spear and jackhammer him :allears:

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION

Jerusalem posted:

One of the best early Goldberg stories was when he had some matches with Curt Hennig. I remember one night Hennig showed up with the commentators saying he had been bragging all day that he'd finally worked out a strategy that would completely cut out Goldberg's legs from under him and allow Curt to dominate him.

Curt gets in the ring, slaps Goldberg in the face and smirks, Goldberg proceeds to spear and jackhammer him :allears:

"Trust me, I just got done playing that new Zelda and beat Ganon with a bottle. You just gotta do the wackiest thing possible and it'll work."

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
Finally watch the Backlash match.

Rock's cocaine promo and mannerisms, and Goldberg's fantastic intensity combined into a fun 17 minute match. The match featured very little, but paced it so that they got the most out of everything. Why couldn't he have a match like this against Owens :(

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Wazzu posted:

Finally watch the Backlash match.

Rock's cocaine promo and mannerisms, and Goldberg's fantastic intensity combined into a fun 17 minute match. The match featured very little, but paced it so that they got the most out of everything. Why couldn't he have a match like this against Owens :(

Well, that was like 15 years ago, and Goldberg would have been 35 then.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Jenny Angel posted:

Goldberg vs. Regal was a killer match

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DJExile posted:

Well, that was like 15 years ago, and Goldberg would have been 35 then.

...he's not crippled

I understand the need to build him up again as a monster, but I hope at some point he gets to do a long match against a good worker like Cena or AJ who can carry him

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

...he's not crippled

I understand the need to build him up again as a monster, but I hope at some point he gets to do a long match against a good worker like Cena or AJ who can carry him

He's done after Mania unless they work a new deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011

EugeneJ posted:

...he's not crippled

He's looking great at 50, and even better since he debuted months ago, but sweating his rear end off (not that that means much since some people just sweat and got knows what it's like coming out to a crowd, standing in pyro, etc). He does still seem prone to injuring himself. Sad that the most action he has seen was against fake security on Raw, and like two minutes in the rumble.

WWE has a serious problem with how they characterize their wrestlers, especially now. Survivor Series was shocking and I loved to see him look like the Omega Weapon of wrestling...but how can they book him to do that to Lesnar, then crush him in the Rumble, and then make us believe that KO (as good of a wrestler he is) stand toe to toe?

Wish they went another route somehow during the Fastlane (non) match, but here we are and it's WM again with Lesnar...again. gently caress.

• Locked thread