Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
it seems like grinding for skills is a huge part of the game. Or am I just doing it wrong?

For example, the best way to get money is kid napping a bank CEO, but you can't do that without a high disguise and stealth otherwise you'll get into a shootout with the police which will lead to your safe house getting raided.

Same with doing anything with a nuclear reactor, the military base, the CIA etc. all require very high skills.

Should I instead be taking classes at the university then teaching my liberal squad?

What about early recruitment? Finding a 10int 10computer skilled programmer owns, but you have to grind up a lot of persuasion/issues skill to get them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Personally, I miss instant recruiting, the whole multiple meetings thing should be an option you can toggle.

edit: I can't spell

AceRimmer has issued a correction as of 04:32 on Dec 5, 2016

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Aw yiss, here's hoping this one finishes and if you need another warm body, sign me up

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

after winning a playthrough (easy mode, i didnt have CCS active since i was just figuring out how to play the game) here are some useful tips i found:

- the best way to start is to raise your persuasion / seduction. persuasion you can raise by talking to 6 hippies but not actually recruiting them into the LCS, just keep meeting them every day. this raises your persuasion much more quickly/easily than the university. for seduction just wander around the park and hit on everybody until it goes up

- with your high persuasive skills you can recruit pretty much anybody whos not a conservative, so get some recruits with good int/cha (liberal judges are great for this, 10/10 isnt uncommon) and someone with at least lockpick 1. train their persuasion/seduction the same way while raising your teams security skill by unlocking all the projects apartment doors. once you can break into the downtown apts you can start getting some good cash

- you want at least one hacker (i had 2). credit card fraud doesnt raise heat so just stick them wherever and forget about them. once they raise their computer skill some and youre getting more money you can move them to hacking to get juice, though high level hacking does raise heat

- you also want at least one tailor. they can be anyone as long as they have high int, just have them make challenging clothing until their skill gets over 10, then have them churn out expensive suits for a fantastic source of stable income. i like to have two so i can just leave one on suits and have the other make whatever disguises i need. fashion designers / critics start out with high tailoring if you want to skip training, but theyre not that common so their stats are a gamble

- 2 obvious in retrospect things i didnt realize at first: 1) your ENTIRE squad needs to be in disguise to pass checks, not just the lead guy 2) stealth is much easier in small groups. anything over 3 and youre not going to be very stealthy

- black turtlenecks boost your stealth score and are easy and cheap to make

kidnapping guide:

- you need: someone with high seduction, someone with high strength, someone with high HRT/psychology (i used a prostitute, black belt and psychologist)

- equip someone with high seduction with a weapon (i used a combat knife) and meet the target for a date, then kidnap them. this works the vast majority of the time (i think it can fail if the target has good street sense? thats not a common skill though, i was even able to kidnap agents)

- have the strong guy beat them until their wisdom is under 5, then have the psychologist convert them. i was able to do this in about a week usually

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
TACTICAL turtleneck

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
In my own game, I have been converting the CEO to liberal status, but even at 16 persuasion I cant get him to join the squad and keep losing him after a meeting or two even though he thinks something must be done. I might need to break out the psychadelics... can you kidnap someone you have already turned liberal?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Add me to the Liberal Crime Squad, please!

The LP has made me want to play this again, but the sheer level of detail and grinding makes me think I'll be better off just watching someone else play it.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
*slams fist on table* Where are the updates.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Michael Bayleaf posted:

Check chat thread if you want to give me input on a new LP please

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Michael Bayleaf posted:

True liberal reforms requires hard work, networking, commitment. Can't be done by showing up to a few protests and posting liberal memes on the Internet. Most would-be revolutionaries fizzle out once they realize this, something the game is a good model for. Also the skill grinding, sweet Jesus.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Stealth and Disguise are probably two of the most useful skills, and they're real easy to grind.

1 - Send person to the Park with spraypaint and a black turtleneck.
2- Tag a single square with paint when no one is near by
3- stand by the exit and hit S until a single unarmed conservative appears. If multiple appear, or armed ones appear, move back into the map and try again
4- Hit the S button until "Fades to the shadows" is replaced with "Acts natural", hit S maybe twice more, then go to step 3.
5- If they alert or you max out both stats (highlighted in white at 99+), leave the map. You might get punched but that's better than getting shot by a rent-a-cop.

Persuasion can be raised easily (and for free) by just meeting with people, talking to them, and not recruiting them. This can raise other skills as well, if the potential recruits have them.

Tailoring is increased faster if you have someone make clothes instead of selling T-Shirts. Select clothes that's difficulty is "Above Average" or "Hard" to make for the bigger boosts. I believe the harder it is to make the item, the more EXP is gained, but only if they successfully make the clothes. Second, third, and fourth rate clothes are inferior to first rate, but they sell for just as much.
It'll also make more profit than selling T-shirts. Having the "Fine Cloth" loot from the Textile mill/Garment Sweatshop cuts the materials cost in half, but uses up the fine cloth.
When subtracting the materials cost, these wind up being the profitable clothes. Everything else sells for less than it costs to make.
Here's the net profit in order (pulled from the wiki)
$ 5, Black Turtleneck, Toga
$ 10, Clothes, Overalls
$ 20, Trenchcoat, Servant Uniform, Orange Jumpsuit, Lab Coat, Clown Suit, Black Robe, Cheap Dress, Cheap Suit
$ 30, Bondage Gear
$ 40, Army Uniform, Death Squad Uniform (can only craft if Police and Death Penalty laws are arch-conservative), Guard Uniform, Police Uniform, Security Uniform
$ 50, Black Dress, Black Suit
$150 Expensive Dress, Expensive Suit

Concordat has issued a correction as of 22:23 on Dec 8, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Vox, do you mind if other people their own "other city" campaigns in this thread since you're on, uh... hiatus?

I just finished a game, but would be super excited to play another one and do an LP of it for a very special run I have planned.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

I just finished a game, but would be super excited to play another one and do an LP of it for a very special run I have planned.
:bernin:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Does anyone have a Terra Vitae mod for PCs? That one seems . . . interesting.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

GlyphGryph posted:

Vox, do you mind if other people their own "other city" campaigns in this thread since you're on, uh... hiatus?

since he's dead I say go for it

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

GlyphGryph posted:

I got pretty far, but then got raided by agent's and I couldn't kill their squads with my liberals armed with M-16s :/

Can I help you make America Liberal Again?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I beat the game (first time ever) the boring way. I got two programmers to live at the homeless shelter doing credit card fraud and used their money to set up the Liberal Guardian, got four or five people writing for it, and then held down the next day button until I won.

Then I tried to play a more exciting way and got a character with crazy high stealth and disguise (like 23 stealth or something) after a bunch of grinding and theft and that was going even better because I was stealing incriminating evidence of conservative wrongdoing and publishing that in the Liberal Guardian, but I got caught one time making a pirate TV broadcast, failed my stealth check for once, and got shot like nine times and that was the end of that game.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

vyelkin posted:

I beat the game (first time ever) the boring way. I got two programmers to live at the homeless shelter doing credit card fraud and used their money to set up the Liberal Guardian, got four or five people writing for it, and then held down the next day button until I won.
Stay safe, Bernie Bro Nate Silver

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
One of my favorite ways to juice up to 1000 is actually by getting arrested. Get a sleeper judge or two, train up your law and persuasion by influencing juries at the courtroom, and you can get 25 uncapped juice for defending yourself very well. Naturally, this also clears your rap sheet.

The downside is that as your crimes accumulate, the difficulty of an innocent verdict can increase beyond what's actually achievable, so you have to get caught periodically to clean it out before it gets too big.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
How do you get caught, just immediately surrender to the police? Also if you have a decent LCS Squad, they can break you out of prison, which let's you stand trial again. Liberal Judge, plus Ace Attorney has like a 75% success-rate regardless of the crimes, unless his rival shows up, but then you have 50/50 + leniency so you aren't ever trapped afaik.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

How do you get caught, just immediately surrender to the police? Also if you have a decent LCS Squad, they can break you out of prison, which let's you stand trial again. Liberal Judge, plus Ace Attorney has like a 75% success-rate regardless of the crimes, unless his rival shows up, but then you have 50/50 + leniency so you aren't ever trapped afaik.

Yup, when conservatives are alerted you can "give up" to police or security guards. Don't do it to death squad officers, though.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I like to strip down, walk into the nearest police station and turn myself in to the first officer I encounter, since being naked tends to alert them.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Strudel Man posted:

Yup, when conservatives are alerted you can "give up" to police or security guards. Don't do it to death squad officers, though.

Note to self, do not surrender to Death Squad Officers....

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
They are very impolite as a general rule.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Do not surrender to "Conservative Masses", CCS, CIA, or corporate mercenaries either.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Then let us begin.

Our semi-random background ended up being:
The day I was born in 1984… the Polish priest Popieluszko was kidnapped by government agents. (+2 AGI)
My parents named me Jackie Wolfe.
The doctor said I was a girl.
When I was bad… my father beat me. I learned to take a punch earlier than most. (+1 HTH, +1 Martial Arts)
In elementary school… I was the class clown. I even had some friends. (+1 CHA, +1 Persuasion)
When I turned 10… my parents divorced. Whenever I talked, they argued, so I stayed quiet. (+1 Stealth)
In junior high school… I was into chemistry. I wanted to know what made the world tick. (+2 INT, +2 Science)
Things were getting really bad… when I was sent to religious counseling, just stressing me out more. (+1 Religion, +1 Psychology)
Well, I knew it had reached a crescendo when… I was resorting to controlling people. Had my own clique of outcasts. (+1 CHA, +2 Persuasion)
I was only 15 when I ran away, and… I let people pay me for sex. I needed the money to survive. (+1 CHA, +2 Seduction)
Life went on. On my 18th birthday… I celebrated. I'd saved a thousand bucks! (Start with $1000)
For the past few years, I've been… surviving alone, just like anyone. But we can't go on like this. (+1 HRT, +2 INT, +3 HTH, +2 AGI, +1 STR, +1 CHA, +2 First Aid, +2 Street Sense, Homeless Shelter Safe House)

Well call ourselves the Nightwolf, and if we have anything to say about it ol' Bill Sidebottom will soon be nothing but a footnote in the history books.

Let me know the names you wish to go by if you want to be recruited!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Show us the status of the liberal agenda.

Also I'd love to go by my previous forums name....

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Deceitful Penguin, reporting for duty to destroy America from the inside!

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
I am who I am and the conservative patriarchy will fear my name.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
I will fight the man by your side

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Get me killed ffs

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
I am ready to die for the Liberal cause

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Things did not look good for the nation. We had to act.

It was a dangerous time. The smallest infraction could easily lead to a death sentence, and we were planning on hurling ourselves against this powerful and dangerous machine.

Even those places that were still known as bastions of liberal thought were filled with conservatives. No place was truly safe for people like us, not anymore.

We had the skills we acquired over the hard life we'd lived, of course...

But even we could not take on an entire nation by ourselves. We had to be the seed from which an entire great forest would grow. We searched among the downtrodden, the forgotten, those cast aside, and sought out those souls like ourselves who had been spurned by this nightmarish society and left to die and had somehow become stronger for it, and who shared the same fire we did.

We found a beast of a man, with an open heart and a welcoming smile...

We found a woman of incredible passion and remarkable grace...

And a man of the people who heard the call...

Each of them agreed that the evils of conservatism must be undone. We joined hands and destinies. The four of us together, until the end, whatever end that might be.

Even as we came together, I had already begun my work...

Those who wish to, feel free to claim one of the original three, whichever speaks to you the most
Everyone else will be added to the queue and recruited tomorrow, but these three will be my generals.

Ivan is 26, Kaylee 28, and Jowar de Silva is 48

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Kaylee shall be known as "PowerCrazy" a lost name full of Heart and part of the soul of the ProgressiveElite Liberal Cause

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Told ya mutants could be powerful recruits. Though most the time they seem to have 1s across the board.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I want to be the Beast please.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Concordat posted:

Told ya mutants could be powerful recruits. Though most the time they seem to have 1s across the board.

a high strength mutant with a sword can cut apart an abrams tank

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

KIND OF A KIM DEAL posted:

You must have been big fun at Communist parties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sfc1xGKO2gE

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
My parents named me after the martyr Zephyr Teachout. :rip:
*scrawled scrap of paper that may not be the actual tweet in my pocket*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UVCOMEZ0sU

Stexils posted:

a high strength mutant with a sword can cut apart an abrams tank
Whoa, X-Men meets The Internationale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Hah, I guess I'm a man of the people then. Much like here on SA, no?

• Locked thread